Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
"Act Together"
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 14, 2013 16:39

Been listening to lots of Ronnie's solo stuff lately and really love this song. It's on "I've Got My Own Album To Do". Written by Jagger/Richards but sang by Wood. A real Faces vibes.

Woulda been a great song for Mick to sing (with Keith harmonies) - think a better version of "Thru The Lonely Nights", if you haven't heard it. Ever played live? Your thoughts?

Re: "Act Together"
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: November 14, 2013 16:42

great song from a great album. love the Wurlitzer piano. the female harmony vocals make the song, imho..

what a cool album.

Date: November 14, 2013 16:45

What duke said! thumbs up

Date: November 14, 2013 16:51

There's a (early) version of it on "Mahoney's Last Stand" as well (Wood/Lane album that came out after IGMOATD).

Here's the Stones's version.

Date: November 14, 2013 16:55

things get off to a pretty good start on that album..!

I Can Feel The Fire-

I mean this album has got great Stones tracks..only its not a Stones album. and the rhythm section is one of the finest ever, again just my opinion..

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 14, 2013 16:58

Don't you mean Ronnie Woods?

Does anyone know why they screwed up his name?

Date: November 14, 2013 16:59

duke richardson
things get off to a pretty good start on that album..!

I Can Feel The Fire-

I mean this album has got great Stones tracks..only its not a Stones album. and the rhythm section is one of the finest ever, again just my opinion..

No doubt about that, Duke thumbs up

Date: November 14, 2013 18:09

the real lyric in 'Act Together' is another word..

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: November 14, 2013 22:14

the thing about it is until I saw the Kilburn concert I was convinced Keith did the vocal on this one! I don't know if Ron was just taking off on him or if it just naturally came out that way but it does(imo) sound spot on like Keith's vocals from that period (before his voice seemed to lower as on Main Offender-what was up with that anyway? just aging?)

Date: November 14, 2013 22:34

Yeah, "Seven Days" is Ronnie doing a pretty good Dylan voice, too.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: November 14, 2013 23:28

Good album that I used to play a lot.The Keith songs Act and Sure the one are both very good.Take a look is a great rocker.
Hey, the whole album is great. Have to play it again.
Only downer is the sound.
Newmark was a great drummer.Together with Weeks a hot rhyt. section. But it was buried in the mix. I always hated that.

Date: November 14, 2013 23:34

CousinC
Good album that I used to play a lot.The Keith songs Act and Sure the one are both very good.Take a look is a great rocker.
Newmark was a great drummer.Together with Weeks a hot rhyt. section. But it was buried in the mix. I always hated that.

I think the vinyl release sounds excellent. The cd is crap, unfortunately. ..

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: November 14, 2013 23:38

GasLightStreet

I think it is a joke on how Keith used to leave the "s" off of his name in the early days. Its obviously intentional.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: November 15, 2013 01:37

Are you sure that's Ronnie singing on that track ? I always thought it was Keith...........

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: November 15, 2013 22:53

Elmo Lewis
Been listening to lots of Ronnie's solo stuff lately and really love this song. It's on "I've Got My Own Album To Do". Written by Jagger/Richards but sang by Wood. A real Faces vibes.

Woulda been a great song for Mick to sing (with Keith harmonies) - think a better version of "Thru The Lonely Nights", if you haven't heard it. Ever played live? Your thoughts?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 15, 2013 23:08

Ross
GasLightStreet

I think it is a joke on how Keith used to leave the "s" off of his name in the early days. Its obviously intentional.

That's the first I've heard of it! I always thought it was a screw up.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: November 16, 2013 02:21

Ross
GasLightStreet

I don't believe it was intentional. I knew a guy with the last name Wood, and he complained that people always put his name down as "Woods."

I seem to recall Ronnie saying that it was a screw up. Remember, in those days production art was all done by hand....there was no easy fix to center the album title. Do it all over or just scratch out the "S"

Date: November 16, 2013 05:42

I think it was intentional. I operated printing presses from the late 70s-early 90s and that would have been proofread before a big run.It would not have taken much to create a new negative and burn new plates.
...it was on the negatives( you used multiple stations and plates on multi color) like that I'm sure.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-16 05:46 by scottkeef.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 16, 2013 06:23

bob r
Are you sure that's Ronnie singing on that track ? I always thought it was Keith...........

100% Ronnie!

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: November 16, 2013 12:20

I love that fuzz guitar sound. I think that there is no pedal on it, just Ronnie + guitar + amp.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: November 16, 2013 15:53

scottkeef
I think it was intentional. I operated printing presses from the late 70s-early 90s and that would have been proofread before a big run.It would not have taken much to create a new negative and burn new plates.
...it was on the negatives( you used multiple stations and plates on multi color) like that I'm sure.
This!

Date: November 19, 2013 16:41

This album is the genesis for the Wood era Stones.

Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: November 19, 2013 16:47

Love that album

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 19, 2013 18:09

DandelionPowderman
CousinC

I think the vinyl release sounds excellent. The cd is crap, unfortunately. ..

thumbs up

Posted by: woodyweaving ()
Date: November 20, 2013 12:04

I have both the vinyl album and the live concert dvd. Both are quality! Love the album. Mystifies Me is one of my favourites both on the album and live.

The First Barbarians live performance makes me wish Ronnie and Keef didn't smoke so they kept their voices for longer... However not many people are fans of Woody's voice I have found.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-20 12:05 by woodyweaving.

Date: November 20, 2013 12:10

woodyweaving
I have both the vinyl album and the live concert dvd. Both are quality! Love the album. Mystifies Me is one of my favourites both on the album and live.

The First Barbarians live performance makes me wish Ronnie and Keef didn't smoke so they kept their voices for longer... However not many people are fans of Woody's voice I have found.

He came back with a bang on "I Feel like Playing", singing quite good again, imo.

His singing on on "Not For Beginners" was hilarious.

Nice moniker! grinning smiley

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: November 20, 2013 16:38

I've been waiting for this album to be remastered/rereleased for ages, hope it happens as a deluxe with the London show they did about the same time.

Date: November 20, 2013 17:19

Don't think Ron would release the show again as he's already done it once officially.

Posted by: woodyweaving ()
Date: November 28, 2013 13:19

Thanks mate! Yeah I like that album too. Don't think I have much from not for beginners though. I didn't enjoy very much of it from memory.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 28, 2013 16:59

scottkeef
Don't think Ron would release the show again as he's already done it once officially.

Ronnie would do anything for money ...

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2743
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home