Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT Hott The Moople. Auditorium Glasgow
Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: November 14, 2013 21:34

Braincapers
SimonN
Hello,

I saw I.H. earlier this year:[www.iorr.org] he was pretty far from lame!@

We'll see how they are on Sunday in Manch...

Cheers,

Simon.

Agreed. Ian is still great live.

The fans' reviews are a little mixed but mostly good.

They were awesome, mate. One of my best gigs ever. Really did their back catalogue proud.

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: November 14, 2013 21:37

Mott the Hoople were absolutely outstanding last night in Glasgow. I have been to hundreds of gigs over the last 30 odd years, and last night was a special one. I don't know what planet that reviewer was on. If you have tix for the remaining shows, you are in for a real treat. Ian Hunter is just about the coolest rock star on the planet. 74!!! unbelievable. watching him close up from in front of the stage for the last few songs will remain with me forever. I swear he was singing Saturday Gigs to me. Wonderful, heartwarming...life affirming.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-14 21:39 by letitloose.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: November 14, 2013 22:50

That's more like it! thumbs up

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 14, 2013 23:20

letitloose
Mott the Hoople were absolutely outstanding last night in Glasgow. I have been to hundreds of gigs over the last 30 odd years, and last night was a special one. I don't know what planet that reviewer was on. If you have tix for the remaining shows, you are in for a real treat. Ian Hunter is just about the coolest rock star on the planet. 74!!! unbelievable. watching him close up from in front of the stage for the last few songs will remain with me forever. I swear he was singing Saturday Gigs to me. Wonderful, heartwarming...life affirming.

Did they play Angeline?

Posted by: belld ()
Date: November 14, 2013 23:26

teleblaster
Braincapers
SimonN
Hello,

Cheers,

Simon.

They were awesome, mate. One of my best gigs ever. Really did their back catalogue proud.
One mans opinion. I must have been on a different universe. Any slainte you old fellow traveller.

Posted by: kwf ()
Date: November 15, 2013 02:52

Nice pix, thanks for posting them...

Date: November 15, 2013 10:08

One more thing - I am absolutely delighted for TB, Letitloose and others who clearly had a ball and likewise hope others still to attend Manchester and London also have a great night.
I`ll away and listen to that Des O`Connor tape again, track 52 is a belter.

Date: November 15, 2013 11:39

belld
teleblaster
Braincapers
SimonN
Hello,

Cheers,

Simon.

One mans opinion. I must have been on a different universe. Any slainte you old fellow traveller.

Maybe you're not as big a Mott afficianado / fan as some of us here. Imagine if the Stones had folded after seven studio albums - say about 1967 - and reformed for a handful of gigs forty years later. In the interim, you'd played those albums to death. Then you see them and they're doing Walking the Dog, King Bee and Mona! That's what hearing the band on Wednesday was like for me and my fellow Mottheads and this was confirmed in the numerous ecstatic conversations we had after the gig.

I honestly never dreamed I'd ever hear Mott play live, never mind playing so much material from the Island years. I had been contenting myself with seeing Ian Hunter's fantastic shows which always contain a sprinkling of Mott tunes and the inevitable Singalongamott at the end. No real hardship as he's an ace performer and writer whose last studio album is as good as anything he's ever done (wish I could say that about the Stones). Seeing - and hearing - the original band was one of life's great treats for me and only rivalled in recent years by the wonderful farewell show that Wilko did earlier in the year. AND I've now shaken hands with Overend Watts (no relation).

Date: November 15, 2013 14:33

teleblaster
belld
teleblaster
Braincapers
SimonN
Hello,

Cheers,

Simon.

Maybe you're not as big a Mott afficianado / fan as some of us here. Imagine if the Stones had folded after seven studio albums - say about 1967 - and reformed for a handful of gigs forty years later. In the interim, you'd played those albums to death. Then you see them and they're doing Walking the Dog, King Bee and Mona! That's what hearing the band on Wednesday was like for me and my fellow Mottheads and this was confirmed in the numerous ecstatic conversations we had after the gig.

I honestly never dreamed I'd ever hear Mott play live, never mind playing so much material from the Island years. I had been contenting myself with seeing Ian Hunter's fantastic shows which always contain a sprinkling of Mott tunes and the inevitable Singalongamott at the end. No real hardship as he's an ace performer and writer whose last studio album is as good as anything he's ever done (wish I could say that about the Stones). Seeing - and hearing - the original band was one of life's great treats for me and only rivalled in recent years by the wonderful farewell show that Wilko did earlier in the year. AND I've now shaken hands with Overend Watts (no relation).
As I said I am so pleased that you clearly had a fantastic time at the gig. Anyway how many sleeps to Hogmanay? I purchased H park DVD this am, lets hope our Trossachs pile is very detached and sound proofed. Also pre packed Some Girls Live in Texas as well as Para Handy, Whisky Galore and Laxdale Hall.
Oh came home last night and discovered 1.5 Litre bottle of The Very Famous Grouse on the doorstep. Just a wee English measure short of full. Ann McGhee had Scots Guards visiting on Armistice day for Pauls memorial and thankfully they only consumed gallons of lager and vodka and left the low flyer.

Date: November 15, 2013 14:42

For other reports on gig see Glasgow Apollo on facebook.

Date: November 15, 2013 17:18

There's loads of reviews all over the net. Here's a discussion on the Ian Hunter message board of the one you posted:- [www.ianhunter.com]

Incidentally, the same review was published in The Herald today.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-15 17:20 by teleblaster.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 15, 2013 19:50

Setlist Nov 13 -

Rock and Roll Queen
One of the Boys
The Moon Upstairs
Hymn for the Dudes
Sucker
Soft Ground
Waterlow
Born Late '58
Death May Be Your Santa Claus/You Really Got Me
Ballad of Mott the Hoople
Walkin' with a Mountain
Violence
When My Mind's Gone/No Wheels to Ride/The Journey
Honaloochie Boogie
The Golden Age of Rock 'N' Roll
All the Way from Memphis

Encore:

All the Young Dudes
(with Joe Elliott)
Roll Away the Stone
Saturday Gigs

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: November 15, 2013 20:38

Excellent. Looking forward to Manc & London

Posted by: floho ()
Date: November 15, 2013 21:33

Saw 3 three shows in 2009, absolutely fantastic! I have 2 tickets for the O2 available because I can't go this time. It's in the All Sold Out section of this website.

Posted by: LiveAtHidepark ()
Date: November 16, 2013 00:15

teleblaster
]

Many thanks, your pictures look proffessional. congratulations.

When I see I see Ian Hunter, i think about Mick Ronson.

Date: November 16, 2013 14:13

LiveAtHidepark
teleblaster
]

Many thanks, your pictures look proffessional. congratulations.

When I see I see Ian Hunter, i think about Mick Ronson.

Thanks, glad you like them. Taken with a digital compact as most venues don't allow pro-looking gear. I saw Mick Ronson with Ian Hunter in 1975. Had a chat and got my ticket signed too (which went the way of all my old tickets when my mum moved house many years ago).

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: November 18, 2013 09:29

Good morning world, it's "Mott the Hoople at the O2 Arena" day ...............

hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: November 18, 2013 11:29

paulywaul
Good morning world, it's "Mott the Hoople at the O2 Arena" day ...............

hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley

Enjoy very much! Never know when we'll get the chance to see them again. Ian Hunter hinted (in Newcastle) that they may play I Wish I Was Your Mother (missing in action from the current setlist), so be prepared for a few surprises.

Wish I could be there, but looking forward to the reviews. Enjoy, you lucky people!

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 18, 2013 11:32

Chris Fountain
Setlist Nov 13 -

Rock and Roll Queen
One of the Boys
The Moon Upstairs
Hymn for the Dudes
Sucker
Soft Ground
Waterlow
Born Late '58
Death May Be Your Santa Claus/You Really Got Me
Ballad of Mott the Hoople
Walkin' with a Mountain
Violence
When My Mind's Gone/No Wheels to Ride/The Journey
Honaloochie Boogie
The Golden Age of Rock 'N' Roll
All the Way from Memphis

Encore:

All the Young Dudes
(with Joe Elliott)
Roll Away the Stone
Saturday Gigs

This is almost the same set list as the Hammersmith Apollo shows in 2009.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: November 18, 2013 13:18

Here is a link to some recent pics from the Mott concert last week at Birmingham Symphony Hall.

[www.classicrockphotography.co.uk]

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: November 18, 2013 16:22

Hello,

As usual, way too many noisey photos from a terrific show in Manchester last night. I did manage to film 'One Of The Boys' which is probably my favourite Mott live tune!

[www.youtube.com]

Never mind noisey photos, this lot were LOUD last night, hah-hah! Got to say hello to Uber-fan, Joe Eliot too...a very patient and gracious sort.

Performance-wise I'd rate that show as being a smidge lower than the 2009 run...but it was still bleedin' fantastic! In the pub afterwards I was chatting to a couple who last saw them almost 40 years to the day: they were ecstatic!
Not sure if that really is it for the band: they played a snippet of 'The Last Time' just to keep us guessing, hah-hah!

Cheers,

Simon.

Date: November 18, 2013 17:13

Great photos, Simon. I heard that security in Manchester was tight, insisting that the audience remain seated. They tried that in Glasgow too and were successful until the hits at the end. Apparently it was more relaxed in Newcastle.

Funny, Joe Elliot looks a lot older in the bar than he does onstage (maybe we all do!).

Like the couple you met, I was also ecstatic in the pub afterwards! Yes, it could be the last time, but you never know. They really can't vary the setlist too much and (obviously) aren't adding any new material, but I'd go and see them again (and again...).

Iain

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: November 18, 2013 18:35

Hi Iain,

As I'm sure you know, the front rows at all The Hoople shows this time around were initially flogged at an exorbitant rate: I'm not sure if this meant that folk were less-inclined to stand or whether the band had instructed venue security to ensure that the first 5 rows remained seated to allow the DVD camera folk to work unmolested!
Whatever the case, I was in the first stalls row that decided to stand (H), thankfully...I did see security tell two guys who stood in the second row to sit back down.
It was a terrific show regardless and as you say, if they tour again I will want to be there!

Cheers,

Simon.

Date: November 19, 2013 12:15

Any news / reviews from the 02 show? I've seen some posts elsewhere that indicate Hunter's voice was shot. Also that it was hinted that this was the last show ever. It seems that the Manchester show was filmed. Maybe they'll use that one for the DVD if Ian wasn't at his best in London?

The Newcastle and Glasgow shows are both up on Dime now. Should help my withdrawals!

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: November 19, 2013 18:05

Hunter's voice was fine. Enjoyed Manchester and London I took quite a few pics.

[www.facebook.com]

[www.facebook.com]

Date: November 19, 2013 18:44

Braincapers
Hunter's voice was fine. Enjoyed Manchester and London I took quite a few pics.

[www.facebook.com]

[www.facebook.com]

Pleased to hear that. If it WAS their final show together, it's great that they would be going out on a high!

Posted by: skelly ()
Date: November 19, 2013 19:02

Hello Iain and Davie. Hope you boys are well and Rockin. Looks like a good show there at the armadillo. Hopefully I'll bump into you at a gig soon. thumbs up

I think I've bust a button on my trousers....

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: November 19, 2013 19:05

I enjoyed the O2 but thought they were quite a bit better at Hammersmith in 2009.

Ian's voice held up OK and he is seriously cool for someone in his seventh decade!

Cool too that he had some of his children on backing vocals and also (if I understood the intros correctly) Mick Ronson's eldest? They did sing goodbye for rather a long time at the end…

Jimmy Page was in the house, sitting a few rows behind us.

Date: November 19, 2013 20:13

skelly
Hello Iain and Davie. Hope you boys are well and Rockin. Looks like a good show there at the armadillo. Hopefully I'll bump into you at a gig soon. thumbs up
Steven thanks, yes lets try and hook up soon.
Slainte David.

Date: November 20, 2013 08:36

Beast
I enjoyed the O2 but thought they were quite a bit better at Hammersmith in 2009.

Ian's voice held up OK and he is seriously cool for someone in his seventh decade!

Cool too that he had some of his children on backing vocals and also (if I understood the intros correctly) Mick Ronson's eldest? They did sing goodbye for rather a long time at the end…

Jimmy Page was in the house, sitting a few rows behind us.

Yes, Mick Ronson's daughter. Also Mick Ralph's son. There seems to be a general agreement that, with the exception of Newcastle, the venues were less suitable to Mott's style than Hammersmith, particularly with regard to security and the resultant atmosphere. Ian Hunter's announced a UK date with the Rant Band next year: hopefully more will follow.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2149
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home