Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7
Re: OT: Abba to reunite in 2014???
Date: April 28, 2018 22:50

Stoneage
One thing to add here is the fact that the core of ABBA, the song writing duo, remained intact even after the split. Instead they wrote musicals and other projects.
There was never any animosity between the two. So, of course they could have gone on making ABBA records if they had wanted to. But they didn't.

If I remember it well it took the band ages to get 3 decent songs together on their last record, and that was one important reason to call it quits.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 28, 2018 22:56

TheflyingDutchman
Stoneage
One thing to add here is the fact that the core of ABBA, the song writing duo, remained intact even after the split. Instead they wrote musicals and other projects.
There was never any animosity between the two. So, of course they could have gone on making ABBA records if they had wanted to. But they didn't.

If I remember it well it took the band ages to get 3 decent songs together on their last record, and that was one important reason to call it quits.

Does this mean that The Stones might quit after The Imaginary album finally gets released?

Date: April 28, 2018 23:12

jlowe
TheflyingDutchman
Stoneage

Does this mean that The Stones might quit after The Imaginary album finally gets released?

Good Musicians know when to call it quits, so I must leave it to the Stones.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-28 23:28 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: April 28, 2018 23:40

Yay ABBA , i'm one of the guys who was never embarrassed to admit i like ABBA.

First album i ever bought was ABBA Arrival eye rolling smiley thank God two years later i bought Rolled Gold and my world was never the same.

Going from Dancing Queen to Gimme Shelter in two years, mind you i still like Abba , pop music at its best.

Wonder if they will tour, they could charge ten grand a ticket and still sell out .

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: April 28, 2018 23:53

jlowe
TheflyingDutchman
Stoneage

Just like any other band - they publish 4-5 good albums and then it is down the hill. Stones, Led Zep, U2, Abba, Beatles, Who, Foo Fighters - you name it.

Date: April 29, 2018 16:56

mtaylor
jlowe
TheflyingDutchman
Stoneage

Just like any other band - they publish 4-5 good albums and then it is down the hill. Stones, Led Zep, U2, Abba, Beatles, Who, Foo Fighters - you name it.

That's absolutely true, and in the end it's a bands motivation /inspiration to keep on going on the road, or not.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 29, 2018 20:24

mtaylor
jlowe
TheflyingDutchman
Stoneage

But would you apply the same theory to 'solo' musicians?
To name a few, for example:
BOB DYLAN
PAUL SIMON
LEONARD COHEN
DAVID BOWIE
JOHNNY CASH

all recorded critically acclaimed AND commercial albums some 30 years after their original burst of fame (there will be others of course).

Date: April 29, 2018 23:30

jlowe
mtaylor
jlowe
TheflyingDutchman
Stoneage

But would you apply the same theory to 'solo' musicians?
To name a few, for example:
BOB DYLAN
PAUL SIMON
LEONARD COHEN
DAVID BOWIE
JOHNNY CASH

all recorded critically acclaimed AND commercial albums some 30 years after their original burst of fame (there will be others of course).
Easier as a solo artist. However, most of them wrote below average quality songs 90 % of the time. David Bowie and Bob Dylan, as examples, released many average quality albums. Lou Reed, Neil Young, Bruce Springsteen as well. Peak creativity time is within the first 10 years. I know that David Bowie released a very good album on his last days but he also published average songs in the 80'ies / 90'ies

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 30, 2018 00:52

Not only that. There seems to be a limit for how long a social entity can last before fricitons are starting to show. Some people can be replaced, some can't.
When vital members, like those who write the songs, can't work together it usually ends. In ABBA:s case they could have replaced the girls and gone on. But they didn't.

Date: April 30, 2018 01:07

Stoneage
Not only that. There seems to be a limit for how long a social entity can last before fricitons are starting to show. Some people can be replaced, some can't.
When vital members, like those who write the songs, can't work together it usually ends. In ABBA:s case they could have replaced the girls and gone on. But they didn't.

I doubt it: both the female singers were the eyecatchers and provided their distinctive vocal sound. But you heard and saw that already. cool smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 30, 2018 01:39

In ABBA:s case they could have replaced the girls and gone on.

No No when Abba first hit down here it was like the Beatles or Stones fan war
...... there were always great battles about whether you were a Frida or an Anna guy .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 30, 2018 02:19

They're still popular Stateside (MAMA MIA certainly helped remind people). For me, I'm always surprised how many Aussie artists left a mark that appears indelible in the States simply because we tend to think the UK is the only other place that gave us rock music despite the reality.

I have come to truly appreciate The BeeGees (I even like the SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER soundtrack that I hated as a kid when it was everywhere). The Easybeats gave the world at least one international garage band classic that is still a staple of radio airplay. AC/DC are still huge much as I might wish otherwise. I'm old enough to remember Little River Band's chart success over here. I still have nightmares about Rick Springfield, though I thought he was American for a long time (you probably wish he was). Given my age I still like Nick Cave, Men at Work, Midnight Oil, Divinyls, and Crowded House. I actually still love much of INXS' catalog. I haven't quite forgiven the lot of you for Olivia Newton-John, though. I honestly don't love her. My little girl (who's 16) loves Abba. I felt like a failure as a father. You just can't predict these things.

Date: April 30, 2018 02:24

When Abba first came down here in the mid 70's ... the then
Prime-minister Malcolm Fraser and his wife Tammy met them ...
attended the concert and stated in the paper the next day that
Abba were a very respectable group and all parents should feel totally
safe if their children attended the concert ..... HHHHaaaaaaaaaaaa....

It was kinda like your grandmother telling you who you could have sex with ................ S.A.G.

ROCKMAN

Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: April 30, 2018 07:30

I would Love to have sex with those two ABBA chicks anytime ROCKMAN, LOL!

Date: April 30, 2018 07:52

...Yeah Bama .... all me mates loved the blond but I was a Frida boy ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: April 30, 2018 18:13

Rockman
...Yeah Bama .... all me mates loved the blond but I was a Frida boy ...

You got taste, Rockman.
The blonde had no boobs but a (too) big butt.

Date: April 30, 2018 20:42

Rocky Dijon
They're still popular Stateside (MAMA MIA certainly helped remind people). For me, I'm always surprised how many Aussie artists left a mark that appears indelible in the States simply because we tend to think the UK is the only other place that gave us rock music despite the reality

Sure Rocky, I would switch ABBA for a team of hungry white sharks patrolling our borders any minute...

Date: April 30, 2018 20:46

You lost me there, Stoneage. If my remark was taken as rude, it was unintentional.

Date: April 30, 2018 20:55

No pun intended, RD. I was simply trying to inform you that ABBA aren't an Aussie act, they are from Sweden.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: April 30, 2018 21:13

I keep meaning to get around to purchasing ABBA Gold. They were magnificent, but - much like with Queen - they're just a little too over-familiar. I feel as if I don't need to own a compilation by them.

Date: April 30, 2018 21:44

ABBA's former session player Lasse Wellander considered it as a compliment when I wrote him that some of his live playing with ABBA reminded me of a mix between Taylor and Richards. Very modest guy. thumbs up

Date: April 30, 2018 21:47

Stoneage
No pun intended, RD. I was simply trying to inform you that ABBA aren't an Aussie act, they are from Sweden.

Good point and one I knew. My only excuse is I was jetlagged, tired, and overindulged a bit and somehow, talking to Rockman, turned everything Down Under. I would delete the entire exchange, but it's good for my humility and may be used one day by parents to deter their youngsters from mixing medication and alcohol.

Date: April 30, 2018 22:09

I know what you mean, RD. thumbs up

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: May 1, 2018 01:37

if you want abba but not the over familiar stuff, try listen to the lesser known non hits album tracks. some of them are as good or near to as good as some of the hits.

Date: May 1, 2018 02:12

and somehow, talking to Rockman, turned everything Down Under.

Hey Yeah Bill ... you'd fit in nicely down here and we could do with some guys who are good with words ...
And remember ........ We got everything esp Lovin' & Laughin'............

ROCKMAN

Date: May 2, 2018 17:48

Speaking of guys who are good with words, I believe I know a fellow in P.R. Down Under.

Kidding aside, I may get there yet. I've always wanted to and my kids also want to see New Zealand. We'll see where my path takes me.

Date: May 2, 2018 18:13

Going to a concert and see "Abbatars"...confused smiley

Then Stones can reunite digitally with the original band as "Stonestars".......smileys with beer

Date: May 2, 2018 20:22

Anni-Frid, by the way, was a lebensborn child. Her mother was treated badly after the war and died at age 21. Frida was brought up with her grandmother in Sweden
and never met her German father until three decades later. Apparently she was one of about 10,000 lebensborn children in Norway.

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: May 2, 2018 20:33

I'm NOT interested in seeing the Abbatars live in concert. I would not pay 1 Cent for such a show. But I would pay a lot of money, when I can see the real Abba live in concert.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: May 2, 2018 21:25

Ladykiller

I'm NOT interested in seeing the Abbatars live in concert.

I'm at least interested in how the ABBAtars were done. I hope they have created something really appealing ....

By the way: one of the German pioneers of electronic music, Kraftwerk, touring since 1981 with 'Avatars': [www.YouTube.com] .

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1943
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home