Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7
Re: OT: Abba to reunite in 2014???
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 13, 2013 01:46

Abba were never really accepted in wide circles in Sweden in the seventies. They were considered commercial. Which was the worst thing you could be in those times.
And their lyrics were in English which wasn't accepted within the progressive music circles then.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 13, 2013 03:08

I saw some documentary on ABBA a few years ago where scientists were able to develop some sort of algorithm that was able to rate songs in terms of their 'pop appeal' (yeah, I know it sounds ridiculous).

Of all the songs ever recorded, I think 5 of them in the top ten, were ABBA, I believe there was 2 Beatles, and one Elvis song.

The top song went to ABBA and was Mamma Mia.

Not everyone likes them but I think you'd have to recognize they are one of the most successful bands of all time, and I believe deserve to be so.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: November 13, 2013 04:04

treaclefingers
I saw some documentary on ABBA a few years ago where scientists were able to develop some sort of algorithm that was able to rate songs in terms of their 'pop appeal' (yeah, I know it sounds ridiculous).

Of all the songs ever recorded, I think 5 of them in the top ten, were ABBA, I believe there was 2 Beatles, and one Elvis song.

That sounds ridiculous.

Date: November 13, 2013 07:14

Max'sKansasCity
treaclefingers

That sounds ridiculous.

that's what she said

Date: November 13, 2013 07:28

treaclefingers

Not everyone likes them but I think you'd have to recognize they are one of the most successful bands of all time, and I believe deserve to be so.

thats not even close to ABBAs best song

Date: November 13, 2013 08:21

treaclefingers
Max'sKansasCity
treaclefingers

That sounds ridiculous.

that's what she said
grinning smiley

and now a song... with an intro by Elvis...

and come on... it is impossible to hate ABBA... come on...

Date: November 13, 2013 08:25

even if their music does make your blood sugar levels spike dangerously high.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 13, 2013 10:36

Max'sKansasCity
even if their music does make your blood sugar levels spike dangerously high.

They have pills for that now.grinning smiley

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: November 13, 2013 10:45

keefriffhard4life
treaclefingers

thats not even close to ABBAs best song

Yes, I agree, in fact I don't like very much of their many hits Mamma Mia included,

but on the other hand some of their hit songs and some of their other songs are superb IMO.

The popularity of this ABBA-thread really a surprise to me,

when I opened this tread I never would have guessed this!!!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 13, 2013 18:08

Max'sKansasCity
treaclefingers
Max'sKansasCity
treaclefingers

That sounds ridiculous.

that's what she said
grinning smiley

Their best 2 songs, IMHO.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: November 13, 2013 21:19

rollingon

Been there, done that.

Nothing wrong with the band that's backing them up either, they rock.

Date: November 13, 2013 22:32

Elmo Lewis
Max'sKansasCity
treaclefingers
Max'sKansasCity
treaclefingers

That sounds ridiculous.

that's what she said
grinning smiley

Their best 2 songs, IMHO.

Yeah I quite like Waterloo as well. The other I really like is 'Does Your Mother Know'. Heavy metal guitar ATTACK!

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 14, 2013 11:52

I have a friend who without scientific evidence did a survey of the Beach Boys, ABBA and Beatles songs, which had the largest measurable height differences in tones .....ABBA won and buddy was happy ... I understand nothing of it all ...

I rank them like:

1/ The Beatles for the songs
2/ Beach Boys for the background high pitched voice
3/ ABBA for the melodys from Benny...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: November 14, 2013 13:33

Great composers, great musicians, great performers..........nice girls
But they are not my cup of tea

Posted by: folke ()
Date: November 14, 2013 13:45

Benny claims constantly that he has no interest at all in an ABBA reunion and that it will never happen. He has already commented on Agnetha's latest words in the Swedish press. He said: "It will never happen".

Date: November 14, 2013 14:16

folke
Benny claims constantly that he has no interest at all in an ABBA reunion and that it will never happen. He has already commented on Agnetha's latest words in the Swedish press. He said: "It will never happen".

I wonder why he is so much against it?

Too much pressure? Too much rehearsing?

Some old arguments between them?

Nobody would really be expecting that it would be the same it was in the past,
but it would be great to see them together performing a couple of songs even if it would be a one time event only, it would be really great for the fans. And it would be really fun!

They wouldn't have to be perfect, everybody understands it's been so long time since they have performed together.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: November 14, 2013 14:59

If ABBA reformed, they would undoubted be paid handsomely for a world tour and new album. Could four people who haven't worked together as a band for 30 years pull it off? There would be huge expectations for them to be able to recreate that classic pop sound. Good luck to them if they choose to reform, I'd go and see them.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 14, 2013 15:32

rollingon
folke

but it would be great to see them together performing a couple of songs even if it would be a one time event only, it would be really great for the fans. And it would be really fun!

They wouldn't have to be perfect, everybody understands it's been so long time since they have performed together.

Too rich!!!!

Date: November 14, 2013 18:09

If Agnetha is Ronnie, is Benny Mick then?

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: November 14, 2013 18:47

svt22
rollingon

Been there, done that.

This is pretty good. I missed them the first time around. This was 1974-75, right? I think I was too busy listening to It's Only Rock and Roll, Zep's Physical Graffiti, Dylan's Blood on the Tracks, Patti Smith's Horses, Neil Young's Tonight's the Night and Roxy Music's Siren.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: November 14, 2013 19:25

crholmstrom
rollingon
folke

Too rich!!!!

Maybe because he thinks it is ridiculous almost being 67 going on-stage playing the music they did at that time. He is probably fine with his musicals, Chess, Mamma Mia etc.

Date: November 14, 2013 20:55

drbryant
svt22
rollingon

Been there, done that.

This is pretty good. I missed them the first time around. This was 1974-75, right? I think I was too busy listening to It's Only Rock and Roll, Zep's Physical Graffiti, Dylan's Blood on the Tracks, Patti Smith's Horses, Neil Young's Tonight's the Night and Roxy Music's Siren.

This is Australia '77.
Like I said before, I saw them live in Brussels'79, and some songs really rocked like hell, not the least cause of the guitars. One of their guitarists was Lasse Wellander, a great player, and he told me one of his influences were Mick Taylor and clapton. If you listen to his guitar sound and playing, Wembly '79, you can clearly hear that.
Besides they cranked their musicman amps, amazing sound. "Does your mother know" is a good example.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: November 15, 2013 00:01

svt22
This is Australia '77.
Like I said before, I saw them live in Brussels'79, and some songs really rocked like hell, not the least cause of the guitars. One of their guitarists was Lasse Wellander, a great player, and he told me one of his influences were Mick Taylor and clapton. If you listen to his guitar sound and playing, Wembly '79, you can clearly hear that.
Besides they cranked their musicman amps, amazing sound. "Does your mother know" is a good example.

I love "Does Your Mother Know"! Especially in this clip from Johnny English! In 1977, I think I was more interested in the Elvis Costello, the Clash, Sex Pistols, and the Ramones while waiting for the Stones to drop Some Girls. But, there's nothing wrong with Abba.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-15 00:05 by drbryant.

Date: November 15, 2013 00:04

I loved Kate Bush smiling smiley

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: November 15, 2013 00:19

I was outside the outdoor venue Gröna Lund, Stockholm, when ABBA played there 1975. We sat in a slope there drinking beer. After the show we walked in.
it didn't have anything to do with the ticket price. I even think we had to play as much for going in after the show than before. We weren't interested in seing ABBA live. Simpel as that. But stupid when looking back today.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: November 15, 2013 06:37

If there is no Abba reunion, I will not lose any sleep over it.yawning smiley

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 15, 2013 08:43

Thommie
I was outside the outdoor venue Gröna Lund, Stockholm, when ABBA played there 1975. We sat in a slope there drinking beer. After the show we walked in.
it didn't have anything to do with the ticket price. I even think we had to play as much for going in after the show than before. We weren't interested in seing ABBA live. Simpel as that. But stupid when looking back today.

I wasn't even outside for ABBA...grinning smiley
1975 2 big things on Gröna Lund were Eagles and Macca if I remember right...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: November 15, 2013 09:07

Come On
Thommie

I wasn't even outside for ABBA...grinning smiley
1975 2 big things on Gröna Lund were Eagles and Macca if I remember right...

I'm sure you're right. Mahavishu Orchestra and Wishbone Ash played Gröna Lund the same evening 1975 and I was there.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: November 15, 2013 11:41

Nope, I'm serious. I heard it driving home on BBC radio that Dancing Queen is is Keith's favorite. Got a laugh out of it cause I secretly liked the same song for years. You know, kinda like some of those disco beats. Shhhhhhhh, don't say that too loud on a Stones forum.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-15 11:43 by shattered.

Date: November 15, 2013 15:02

shattered
Nope, I'm serious. I heard it driving home on BBC radio that Dancing Queen is is Keith's favorite. Got a laugh out of it cause I secretly liked the same song for years. You know, kinda like some of those disco beats. Shhhhhhhh, don't say that too loud on a Stones forum.

I think Keith can be quite honest and open about music, if he likes some song, he gives credit for it, even if the song wouldn't suite his rock'n roll image. And Dancing Queen is just one of those "perfect" songs!

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1677
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home