Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones and U2 among acts rumored for Live8 concert in Hyde Park July 3
Posted by: Halup ()
Date: May 5, 2005 20:17

This was just posted on Pollstar:

Is Geldof Planning Live Eight?
Updated 01:05 PDT Thu, May 05 2005

Bob Geldof is believed to be planning an entertainment spectacular in London's Hyde Park to raise awareness of Third World poverty around the time the major financial powers are attending the G8 Summit.

Industry rumours suggest both The Rolling Stones and U2 could play July 3 shows in the park under the banner of "Live Eight," the name being an amalgamation of Live Aid and G8.

It would be almost 20 years to the day (July 13, 1985) that Geldof inspired U.S. and U.K. promoters to stage the Live Aid shows in London's Wembley Stadium and Philadelphia's JFK Stadium.

It's believed the preferred show date for "Live Eight" was July 8, while the G8 summit (July 6-8) is taking place at Scotland's Gleneagles Hotel, but Queen + Paul Rodgers plays Hyde Park that day and U2 will be between sold-out shows at Berlin Olympic Stadium July 7 and Paris Stade de France July 9.

The only problem with July 3 would seem to be that The Prince's Trust's Party In The Park was originally slotted for that day. Moving it to July 10 would mean it clashed with the VE Day parade that will be happening in the neighbouring Horse Guards' Parade.

At press time, it wasn't possible to get clarification from Clear Channel, whose U.K. wing has a contract to present shows in the park and representation of both the acts named.

However, Des Shaw from Geldof's company, Ten Alps, told Pollstar, "I believe there's going to be a meeting about this next week. I know Bob is trying to do something and is talking to John Kennedy [now chairman and chief exec of the International Federation of the Phonographic Industries], Harvey Goldsmith [promoter], Bernard Doherty [LD Publicity] and others who were involved with the original Live Aid."

At press time, it wasn't possible to get comments from Doherty, Goldsmith or Kennedy. The press offices for The Prince's Trust and Capital Radio, which is Party In The Park's media partner, are both saying no date has been fixed for that event.

Hyde Park has hosted a number of groundbreaking open-air concerts, including a free Rolling Stones show in '69 that drew around 500,000 people.

Re: Stones and U2 among acts rumored for Live8 concert in Hyde Park July 3
Posted by: martingo ()
Date: May 5, 2005 21:09

I wonder who would top the bill?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 5, 2005 21:37

theres not a chance in hell of the Stones playing that show.

Posted by: tomstones ()
Date: May 5, 2005 21:42

When it comes to topping the bill, Macca will be right there:

Like:
Live Aid 85
Princes Trust 86
Knebworth Festival 90
Concert for New York 01
Queens Jubilee Concert 02
Glastonbury 04

Date: May 5, 2005 21:44

Why not Gazza. They start rehearsing in June. By 3 July they should have at least an hour program. Why do they always need to rehearse Start Me Up and Brown Sugar and even the three note Satisfaction anyway? They should be able to do their warhorses anytime - and I think they are...

Date: May 5, 2005 21:58

a) They wont do those type of shows

b) They dont start rehearsing until July, most likely (a tour starting on 21/8/05 after less than 2 years off the road does NOT need over two months rehearsals)

Posted by: GuessWho ()
Date: May 5, 2005 22:38

Whilst I don`t believe the Stones would play such a gig.....
surely they don`t need lots of rehearsals to play a 60min-90min set especially having played so many shows relatively recently.

Date: May 5, 2005 22:39

Bernard Fowler said on his gig in Leverkusen he will be with the Stones from mid June.

Date: May 5, 2005 23:31

Is Hyde Park large enough to contain Bimbo's (the artist formerly known as Bono) ego and her posse of hairdressers, dying third wairld varies, pamperers, pamperers to the pamperers, advisers, assistants to the advisers, &c...

I think not; how would the fans get in?

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Date: May 6, 2005 00:16

tomstones Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bernard Fowler said on his gig in Leverkusen he
> will be with the Stones from mid June.

I remember that, but it was a while ago.wasnt it?

things have changed a bit re: recording and tour plans in recent months

maybe he meant some overdubs though

I cant see how even the least talented band on the planet would need two months rehearsals after a gap of not touring for only 18 months. Usually they take about 5-6 weeks and thats after a longer break

Posted by: KeithRichards ()
Date: May 6, 2005 00:38

Probably it'll take longer this time because Keith and Ronnie have to learn how to play the new songs.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: May 6, 2005 00:43

We dont have to put down U2, a splendid band in my ears since I first heard them back in 80 or so; their show at Roskilde Festival 1982 still is one of my finest rock concert memories. But yet everybody knows I still havent (found what I´m looking for... And that is) seen a Stones concert... [blushing]
There is no threat from U2 or Bono, they are true fans of the Stones.
Its like the relationship between Chuckster and the Stones/Keefster: only less complicated,
'cause the Chuck is a tricky & odd geezer.

Date: May 6, 2005 06:33

Baboonie,

I applaud and embrace and (add yuppie touchie feelie terms here) your fondness for U2. I'm just f u c k i n g sick and tired of hearing about them on this board, that's all.

Of course they're not a threat to The Stones -- they're miles ahead of the Stones. I do not argue that point for an instant. Call me quirky but when I sign onto a Stones board I WANT TO READ ABOUT THE STONES!!!!!!!!

You say you haven't ever seen a good Stones concert. I think their last great tour was '78. I was lucky enough to see them in '75 and it was a monumental show.

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 6, 2005 06:55

Babylonian Baboon Bro...

How can a person who has never seen the Stones claim that U2 is better?
Perhaps I'm reading something wrong here.

I saw U2 at the US Festival in California, 1983. They were indeed great way back when, thats when they were at their peak.
It's been downhill for them ever since then.

The Stones will almost never be equaled, but they will forever be haunted by the Beatles...the closest next big thing. (In my mind they are equal).

Nothing else matters.

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: May 6, 2005 11:39

KeithRichards Wrote:
> Probably it'll take longer this time because Keith
> and Ronnie have to learn how to play the new
> songs.
>
>

And let's not forget they'll have to re-learn the forgotten guitar chops and licks on the older ones grinning smiley

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 6, 2005 15:43

KeithRichards Wrote:
> Probably it'll take longer this time because Keith
> and Ronnie have to learn how to play the new
> songs.
>
>

You must be joking. The knowlege how to play the songs wasn't needed last time around, so why now?

- Doxa

Posted by: KeithRichards ()
Date: May 6, 2005 16:08

It'll be hard work for them this time around - old songs to remember, new ones to learn. Probably they'll only play the songs that are in the same key, so they can play the same solo all over. Would be cool, cause we would hear a lot of songs from Some Girls and Blues songs in the key of A.
Probably they'll buy a new Casio keyboard for Chuck, hire Matt Clifford as second pianist and transfer the ancient art of weaving to the pianos! Damn, that'd be great :-)

Honestly, when they play like on the Licks tour and Ronnie's in a better shape I'm satisfied. Probably you say my expectations are low - but I got a fan during the Voodoo Lounge tour.

Date: May 6, 2005 16:13

Yes, I always said Matt Clifford is a hard rocking man that gave the Steel Wheels tour a real punk rock drive. Remember the keyboard harp he added to Miss You? That was the real thing: Keith will never rock like Matty Boy!

Posted by: stones40 ()
Date: May 7, 2005 17:22

Latest news -

This could be the Bob Geldof Live Aid 2 which will be staged at Londons Hyde Park w/e 2 & 3 July.05 and will be called
Live 8.
This appears to be going ahead as the Princes Trust party in the Park for that weekend at Hyde Park has been cancelled.
Bob Geldof has asked the biggest acts (Stones/U2) in Rock/Pop to appear at this free concert event.
Live 8 is going ahead but i suspect the Stones will not be present as all their gear is already in NYC.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: May 7, 2005 20:15

Quoting myself above: " --- (on U2) their show at Roskilde Festival 1982 still is one of my finest rock concert memories"..... Hey, Hairball, that´s not the same as saying that their better than the Stones, I mention at the same time that I havent seen the Stones live (as if anyone at this board hadnt heard that). I´m sure the Stones will distibute a better concert memory for me, on the other hand U2 1982 was a rare example of perfect timing, very sync with time for being by myself. Stones in 2005 and 06 may be a high-odds, but it may be a good timing too (not the least if its really their last major tour, which so many cats claim).
.....The Menace of Mayfair: I do not intend to post more on U2 unless it soesnt feel very relevant, just wanted to say that we dont need to diss these Irish band which saved many of us who hadnt got caught yet by the Godspell of the Rolling Stones during the 80´s; U2, Neil Young, Iggy Pop & a very few amount of artists and groups in the mid-80´s (Purple is another saviour factor) made life meaningful in contrast to the newromantics & the superficial shit-music that crowded the air on video channels & radio. I´m stil grateful for that... And as most people seem to think here, the mid-80´s wasnt the Stones best period. I even like Vertigo by U2, but I´m sure there will be plenty of tracks in the espected Stones-album that will dust the broom of that one and most of the stuff U2 did since 87 or so. Comparison is useless though: Stones are the heavy dudes, U2 are little boys. Agreed?

Posted by: Jim Price ()
Date: May 8, 2005 09:59

I doubt they will join this concert if it ever takes place.

Date: May 8, 2005 19:18

it wont

Geldof has today said that the rumours are just that and he has no intention of a repeat Live Aid show

from bbc.co.uk

Singer and campaigner Bob Geldof has denied reports he plans to stage a Live Aid gig to coincide with the UK hosting July's G8 summit of world leaders.
Geldof, who was at the Rose d'Or TV festival in Switzerland, said: "It is kite flying, that's all it is. It is just talk.

"Why would I possibly repeat something I did 20 years ago?" he told TV Plus.

His spokeswoman confirmed discussions are taking place about holding shows to raise awareness about Africa.

The gigs would coincide with the 20th anniversary of the original 1985 Live Aid concert at Wembley.

Geldof's spokeswoman confirmed that the Live Aid Trust had been "discussing the plans to hold an event around the time of the G8 summit".

1984's Live Aid was split between London and Philadelphia

She said plans could be finalised when members of the Live Aid Trust, including original organiser and musician Midge Ure and music promoter Harvey Goldsmith, meet later this week.

She added it was not yet known if they would be joined at the talks by Geldof.

"I would expect we will know something definite this week, after the trustees have met," she said.

"If the Princes Trust have already indicated that they are prepared to step aside, then it would appear people are keen to see this happen."

London radio station Capital FM has said any clash between its annual Party in the Park and Geldof's concerts would prompt them to scrap their plans for this year.

Posted by: Han ()
Date: May 8, 2005 20:58

I think Midge quite fancies the idea, especially after the success of Band Aid 20, but Bob's been agin it ever since the last/first one. Mind you, it would probably be easier to round up the acts these days, and TV companies love anniversaries. I think the contrast between the golden oldies and the newer groups could be a bit too painful though.

You might have to scrape me off the floor at the end of the tour, but it'll be really good scrapings. - Mick Jagger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1255
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home