Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

rory gallagher stones
Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: May 5, 2005 13:31

Classic Rock Mag Mar 03 in discussion
about Rory Gallagher

page 49

when Rory was invited to jam with the stones he didn,t realize he
was being audtioned to replace Mick taylor.

Donal(rory brother) received a late night call from the stones
key board player Ian Stewart asking whether his brother might want
to visit Rotterdam where the band was recording BB.Legend has it
Rory accepted the offer played with the stones for 2 days and nights
and then flew off to Japan to play a tour of his own.Without the
subject of replacing guitarist Mick Taylor being broached.All he
thought they wanted was a jam session a still astounding Donal related
I had to say Rory don,t be so naive they are looking for a guitar
player.they asked rory to start off a jam and what came out was
miss you.on the last night jagger told rory to go keith's room but
keith was comatose and they never had the discussion.

Re: rory gallagher stones
Posted by: bombayturner ()
Date: May 5, 2005 14:07

thanks to Rory for 'Miss U' LOL

Posted by: Deidre ()
Date: May 5, 2005 14:35

Interesting, OpenG.

And I wonder how many people on this site have heard of him.

I saw him once. Love that strat! (but not the denims!)

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: May 5, 2005 14:41

Rory would have been a perfect replacement for MT. Always liked his Tatoo album.

Karl

Date: May 5, 2005 14:48

Rory would of KICKED keith in the ASS and would of been a perfect replacement
for Taylor.WOW only IF

Posted by: jostorm ()
Date: May 5, 2005 15:06

Dearest Dame Deidre

Do you happen to know what happened to RG's guitar ??? (it's very beautiful indeed, and I'm not even a guitar freak!) Is it hanging on the wall in some Hard Rock Cafe perhaps???? Hubby came back with a DVD of Rory Gallagher playing on the German Programme Rockpalast a while ago, and he used the same guitar at every concert over a period of four years.....And also, do you happen to know who was his bass player???? He certainly beats the shit out of any other bass player I've ever seen playing. Yes, I'm sorry but that includes Uncle Bill.....

Date: May 5, 2005 15:10

I be,ieved he played that guitar and that one only at all gigs. No, don't know its fate. Nor do I know the bass player's name. But someone here will. Although a talented and honest good-guy, I found Rory just a bit too conventional in his approch/style. Not suitable for Stones. Also his tone a bit too thin?

Date: May 5, 2005 15:19

I found his repertoire and versatility very impressive, and the musical cohesion of his band ought to serve ONE band as an example of how it ought to be done, regardless of how much money you manage to scalp out of hardworking people....

Date: May 5, 2005 15:22

ps:

and the fact that RG died of liver cancer while Engelbert Humperdink is still alive and touring ought to be the unfailable proof to any Christian that God cannot possibly exist...

Posted by: tussler ()
Date: May 5, 2005 15:24

I got two albums of Rory ( photofinished & live in europe) And there`s no questions about his guitarplaying. Buy these albums and listen to this man. He is good. Well, Rory was addicted to alkohol and are dead now.

Don`t use so much time thinking about what Stones could be with or without unlike people. Look at Dire Straits and GN`R, instead of using the bandnames, I would like to call it Mark Knoflers band and Axl Roses band.You see my point view?

Stones got integrity, they don`t changes members every second year. Are we sure that Stones would exist today without Ron Wood???

Date: May 5, 2005 15:28

"Those the gods love die young"

cf Keith.

Posted by: Klaus ()
Date: May 5, 2005 15:48

The name of the bass player is Gerry McAvoy. Incredible guy. You canb find something about him when using google with his name.

Date: May 5, 2005 16:09

thanks, Klaus !

Posted by: RankOutsider ()
Date: May 5, 2005 17:26

Wasn't it pretty clear to 'everyone' by the time B&B was being recorded that The Stones were looking for a guitar player? Mick T was already gone. That was no secret.

And now RG is responsible for Miss You? That boggels my mind, given the fact that the song wasn't on a Stones album for another "5" years and was a disco song! I mean it's like , (if this article is to be believed), everybody that has ever been in a 'room' ,(bathroom, living room, board room etc,..), with The Stones wants credit for writing one of their songs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Give me a break!

Rory was a fine musician/singer/song writer, I'm listening to him now in fact. I see him as more of a free form jam player. I love that about him.

I ain't stupid, I'm just guitarded.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: May 5, 2005 18:57

Rory was a great talent and I highly recommend his Irish Tour 74 album. But Rory in the Stones? Hmmmmmmmm, it bears thinking about hypothetically. What could have been....

To quote our jostrom "and the fact that RG died of liver cancer while Engelbert Humperdink is still alive and touring ought to be the unfailable proof to any Christian that God cannot possibly exist..."

A valid point but God works in mysterious ways his wonders to performm. He probably wanted Rory for an all star band he was forming with Jimi, Brian, Jim and Janice! Waht makes me cringe even more is that someone like Britney Spears, though appealing to the eyes, sells millions of lackluster records while a real talent like Richard Thompson languishes in obscurity! Madness!

Posted by: martingo ()
Date: May 6, 2005 00:46

I thought Miss You was hashed out by Mick and billy preston in 1977?

I did like Rory G. -- didn't he do a tune "I wish it could be Christmas every day"?

Date: May 6, 2005 06:54

Didn'T you know that according to OpenG pretty much EVERYTHING The Stones have done can be attibuted to someone else?

Date: May 6, 2005 12:57

RankOutsider

There you go posting nonsense and I never said that.YOU SAID THAT which if you
ask Dave Mason,Billy Preston and the truckload of studio muiscians that helped
them out in the studio before they learned their craft as musicans and songwriters might be accurate.God Bless Gram Parsons

So Keith what was your inspiration to write dead flowers and wild horses
did Gram help out along the way.The FLYING Burritos put out there version of
Wild Horses one year before the stones version came out.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: May 6, 2005 13:01

Rorys brother claimed that the unrecorded jams resulted in Miss You which is rubbish.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: May 6, 2005 14:52

rank is right
gr is right
this is just rg's brother's delusion
give me the bootleg (there's plenty of those sessions so it must be veeeery unfortunate if just that jam has gone amiss) and i'll believe that
until then, the only reason that i can think of why someone should believe that bs is: well, i have to prove rolling stones ended as a band after the leaving of mick taylor. look! they could have been saved by the joining of a great musician but they failed because keith was outta space, so outta space that he chose the idiot clown that is not even a guitar player and so that was the end.

a great guitar player does not mean a great band guitar player

isn't that so obvious?

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: May 6, 2005 23:23

Here is an idea for a new thread..who would have replaced Rory Gallagher in the Stones after his death?

On second thought.....

Ross

Posted by: bassaleman ()
Date: May 7, 2005 00:07

I love Rory's playing but I don't think it would have been a tight fit with the Stones sound. I find it really hard to believe that he helped them work out "Miss You" of all titles. That would suggest that "Miss You" might have been a slow or mid tempo Blues number?! and I think Rory would have kicked Keith in the ass which is why I think Keith might have passed out on their meeting...

Date: May 7, 2005 11:12

OpenG, the following is from Gramparsons.com:

Did Gram write Wild Horses for the Rolling Stones?

Gram did not write Wild Horses although he was the inspiration for the song. Wild Horses was actually written by Keith Richards and Mick Jagger (it is widely held that the song was originally written for Gram to sing, an idea that was refused by the record label). The Rolling Stones did allow Gram to record the song before the Stones themselves had recorded it (a first for the Rolling Stones). Gram did however arrange the version of Honky Tonk Woman that the Stones later called Country Honk and was also the key inspiration for The Stones' "Country-ish" movement following Exile On Main Street.

Which kind of confirms what I have alway's heard, that Keith and Gram (Ingram) were the best of friend's. And as you may know, Keith was a 'featured' guest at the recent live tribute to Gram.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: May 7, 2005 20:34

I seem to recall a story was that "Miss You" began with a earlier jam with Billy Preston on bass (!) and then when it was recorded, Bill W. recreated those licks.

There might have even been a little bad blood over songwriting credits. Note that Preston hasn't worked with the Stones since Black and Blue (or the El Mocambo part of Love You Live after that) He did play on Wandering Spirit and did an encore with the New Barbarians in L.A in '79...but for the most part he is out of the loop.

The Rory G. story reminds me of an issue of Crawdaddy in '74 where in one article Chris Hillman credited Gram Parsons with "Honky Tonk Women" and in another Ry Cooder claims that the Stones ripped it off from him! (Keith has said it was Mick Taylor who turned "Country Honk" into HTW, so there you go)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1501
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home