Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Neat footage of Jagger noodling on piano backstage
Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: November 2, 2013 20:43

I don't understand what happens between this songwriting/creation stage and final studio recording that seems to strip recent Stones songs of the emotion and feeling I get from him just noodling around here.

Re: Neat footage of Jagger noodling on piano backstage
Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: November 2, 2013 22:33

Nice

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 2, 2013 22:50

That whole Chris Evans show is really really worth getting ahold of.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: November 3, 2013 00:31

punkfloyd
I don't understand what happens between this songwriting/creation stage and final studio recording that seems to strip recent Stones songs of the emotion and feeling I get from him just noodling around here.

That was my first thought! Right here, it sounds so organic, soulful and fresh. When we get it, it sounds like overprocessed crap.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: November 3, 2013 00:44

Reminds me of the feel I get from " Hide Your Love".....always loved that because it's so basic and stripped down....but I don't feel that all of their studio material is over-processed....SOMETIMES it has too much going on...like when they try for a more " modern feel"...

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: November 3, 2013 00:49

mickschix
Reminds me of the feel I get from " Hide Your Love".....always loved that because it's so basic and stripped down....but I don't feel that all of their studio material is over-processed....SOMETIMES it has too much going on...like when they try for a more " modern feel"...

Yeah, that's a better description - whatever he's doing in this clip does have that Hide Your Love vibe, and reminds me of what a great songwriter Mick is on his own....
But that 'modern feel' kills every ounce of soul.

Date: November 3, 2013 01:02

It can be a killer...too much unnecessary sound. And yes, times like this show what Mick can do and what he's really all about...he oozes talent. Funny you'd go out on that limb, Stupidguy ( by the way, you're very bright from what I can tell)and say that Mick is great as a solo artist...THAT usually ignites the Keefers!!! LOL!!!

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: November 3, 2013 01:26

Jeez, are admirers of Mick and Keith now in two opposing camps, each with their own names? That's really sad.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 3, 2013 01:34

I've always said that Sir Mick is the most underrated musician in the band.

I LOVE THE ROLLING STONES
Date: November 3, 2013 01:35

Aquamarine
are admirers of Mick and Keith now in two opposing camps

Some people like to see it that way, and do their best to make other people believe it is that way, but my guess is you don't, and just like me you
LOVE THE ROLLING STONES

-------------------

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: November 3, 2013 01:39

Looks like a Bridges-era clip. Sounds like that would make for a great song, excellent melody, a bit of mid-tempo soulful funk. I wonder whatever became of this song, what the title turned out to be, and if he ever finished it. Sounds like the makings of a solid lead single. Mick should revisit that one as a strong contender for inclusion on a new Stones album--which reminds me of how much I'd like for them to record a new album.

I LOVE THE ROLLING STONES
Date: November 3, 2013 01:42

stonehearted
how much I'd like for them to record a new album.

Yeah, that would be great eh

-------------------

Re: I LOVE THE ROLLING STONES
Date: November 3, 2013 01:58

Rolling Hansie
Aquamarine
are admirers of Mick and Keith now in two opposing camps

Some people like to see it that way, and do their best to make other people believe it is that way, but my guess is you don't, and just like me you
LOVE THE ROLLING STONES

smileys with beer

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: November 3, 2013 02:00

thats why they need t bone to produce,look what it did for elton.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: November 3, 2013 02:04

Makes me think of that part in CS Blues when Mick sings and plays that "Fragile AKA It's Funny" song. Fantastic.

Ya know, even back in '72, he was "overproducing" things a bit, adding backup singers and extra musicians in a pro studio after being in that Nellcote basement. But it worked fabulously well back then ... didn't sound too slick or forced. Different times...

Date: November 3, 2013 02:32

backstreetboy1
thats why they need t bone to produce,look what it did for elton.

There's one person they DON'T need to produce, unless they want it to become the T Bone Show.

Date: November 3, 2013 02:52

I went back and listened again and one thing that jumps out in the video is how Mick is not OVER-singing. He is very relaxed so the feeling comes through. Of course he's just sort of scatting out words to a melody, but I love his voice in that range.

Contrast it to EVERYTHING on Dirty Work, most of Steel Wheels, ALL of Wandering Spirit (Handsome Molly...ugh), Bridges, Bigger Bang.....

I think 1989-present day Mick is stuck in "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" vocal style, which is a great song, but that style gets old fast (to me).

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: November 3, 2013 03:32

punkfloyd
I think 1989-present day Mick is stuck in "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" vocal style, which is a great song, but that style gets old fast (to me).

You have a point there. That vocal style is his signature style in a way, but sometimes he exaggerates it too much. It needs a good and dirty rock 'n' roll song to carry it (preferably Keith, Mick T, Bill & Charlie, Nicky and Bobby at full swing). But if you do that thing in a mediocre modern-sounding song and mix the vocals too loud, it gets obnoxious.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 3, 2013 03:35

stonehearted
Looks like a Bridges-era clip. Sounds like that would make for a great song, excellent melody, a bit of mid-tempo soulful funk. I wonder whatever became of this song, what the title turned out to be, and if he ever finished it. Sounds like the makings of a solid lead single. Mick should revisit that one as a strong contender for inclusion on a new Stones album--which reminds me of how much I'd like for them to record a new album.

Its backstage in Chicago, April 1999. Evans interviewed the entire band for a Stones special.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: November 3, 2013 14:55

Unfortunatly the Stones music has suffered from over production since Tattoo YOu, there has been many a good song battered into submission through over use of instruments, production and backing vocals since that recording. I don't know if it's what Jagger is aiming to do to cover the cracks up, but it's those cracks which made the Stones sound. Everything over the last 30 years is so polished and reminiscent of the musak they play in the lifts of Vegas hotels. Please Mick, if we are to have a new album, lets go for the stripped approach, you did it on stage this year and it worked, so why not bring it to the studio. DOn't feel the need to creat a whole new list of formulaic new songs (those dreadful 5 string Keith riffs have been done to death) let's hear some classic country, blues, reggae, motown. It could be your finest moment in decades and would see rave reviews across the music industry. We are waiting!

Date: November 3, 2013 18:21

crumbling_mice
Unfortunatly the Stones music has suffered from over production since Tattoo YOu, there has been many a good song battered into submission through over use of instruments, production and backing vocals since that recording. I don't know if it's what Jagger is aiming to do to cover the cracks up, but it's those cracks which made the Stones sound. Everything over the last 30 years is so polished and reminiscent of the musak they play in the lifts of Vegas hotels. Please Mick, if we are to have a new album, lets go for the stripped approach, you did it on stage this year and it worked, so why not bring it to the studio. DOn't feel the need to creat a whole new list of formulaic new songs (those dreadful 5 string Keith riffs have been done to death) let's hear some classic country, blues, reggae, motown. It could be your finest moment in decades and would see rave reviews across the music industry. We are waiting!

Well said.

Date: November 4, 2013 00:33

Again, I don't agree Punkfloyd...I think Mick sings certain songs the same way every time, for example " Far Away Eyes" is always sung with that country TWANG...He does " Memory Motel" with just the right amount of emotion...believable and sincere. I don't see how you can say he's stuck in any one kind of vocal pattern. If anything, I think the last tour shows how he's worked on his vocal chops. When he is simply noddling, it's not like he can be compared to anything or to any other song...it's unchartered territory so he can sing what he feels, note to note, making it up as he goes...no band, no other sounds, just the piano and his voice. The purity of it is moving.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: November 4, 2013 01:56

Anyone get the brand and/or model of that keyboard?

Posted by: sonyzzz ()
Date: November 4, 2013 04:18

Yes he does oozzz talent.

Date: November 4, 2013 14:29

mickschix
Again, I don't agree Punkfloyd...I think Mick sings certain songs the same way every time, for example " Far Away Eyes" is always sung with that country TWANG...He does " Memory Motel" with just the right amount of emotion...believable and sincere. I don't see how you can say he's stuck in any one kind of vocal pattern. If anything, I think the last tour shows how he's worked on his vocal chops. When he is simply noddling, it's not like he can be compared to anything or to any other song...it's unchartered territory so he can sing what he feels, note to note, making it up as he goes...no band, no other sounds, just the piano and his voice. The purity of it is moving.

A lot of people think he began to be a parody of himself in the mid-70s and the two songs you mention are great examples of this (to me).

But I have to confess, I am a purist and I think this English should keep their original accent when singing and not cater to any audience. (Sex Pistols, Blur, Bowie)

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: November 4, 2013 20:29

Where is that Chris Evans show? It used to be on YouTube but I can't find it any more...

Posted by: chrisvw ()
Date: November 4, 2013 20:58

last 20 seconds sound like the temptations' "don't look back".

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: November 5, 2013 04:37

Did that clip remind anyone else of this ?

Date: November 5, 2013 05:19

ryanpow
Did that clip remind anyone else of this ?

YES!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 5, 2013 05:59

YEP!!! ... Chevy looks like one of the camera men

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1882
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home