Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Was MT influenced by Keith?
Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 4, 2005 18:45

I believe he was. Especially his rhythm work. It was more relaxed during the Mayall days, it got sharper and more "on the beat" with the stones. To use an Italian expression, he showed his balls! Ventilator blues is a clear example of what I'm saying. Of course you couldn’t play safe 4/4 rhythm with keith in the band! But listen his shuffle on r'n'r numbers or Rambler: it got heavier and heavier.
One thing I’ve noticed is that once he left the Stones, while he maintained his style on solos, his rhythm work “softened” a lot and somehow lost that ballsy edge that it had when Keith was around.

C

Re: Was MT influenced by Keith?
Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: May 4, 2005 18:55

Good put.
This will be a jump-off to a hot & creative discussion.
Remember, a Mayalls disciple or not, Taylor was only 19-20 y o while joining these heavy dudes back in 69.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: May 4, 2005 18:57

BITCH is a great example any live show

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: May 4, 2005 19:11

Especially when Ronnie plays it.....

Date: May 4, 2005 19:14

There you go @#$%& trying to ruin the thread.Now everyone knows your the
@#$%& always posting negative things.You BORE ME and have nothing to offer.

Date: May 4, 2005 19:20

I'm with the popular vote here that says the future looks exciting and not rattle on about the same ol dreary nonsense....

Date: May 4, 2005 19:21

Oh by the way...put your handbag away, me knees are knocking!

Date: May 4, 2005 19:23

YOUR A POSER PLAIN AND SIMPLE

Date: May 4, 2005 19:24

A 'poser' on a chatroom?....takes some doing!

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: May 4, 2005 19:30

Mick himself has said that Keith had an influence on his playing and vice-versa. A good example of Keith's influence can be heard on the 1982 Mayall song called "Hard Times Again" or "An Eye For An Eye" depending on which recording you have. Here Mick plays a rhythm figure in open A, one step up from open G, that is reminiscent of Keith's open G style. Given all the time they spent together and the sharp contrast in styles, it would be hard to believe that they didn't influence each other!

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: May 4, 2005 19:33

Lets loosen and cheer this up a bit. smiling smiley
Here´s a promo single vinyl record;
I suspect its very good.

(Connection to the thread: Taylor use to play NE on his solo tour (he did it in 2001, and I believe he has since too. And Tottas have played with Taylor, as far as I know)... This very disc is possible to buy for 50 skr btw (ab. 3:50£ or 6:25 $), its on auction [www.tradera.com]. I know there´s is a special department for trading, but I just wanted to cheer this up.
I´m thinking of buying it; but you´re all free to pass me.
NOTE Biddin time ends within 90 minutes from this posting...
Totta, 60 y o blues cat from Köpmanholmen, the Ruhr of Sweden

Date: May 4, 2005 19:36

Mick is still playing "No Expectations" live so far as I know,. I think the only time they did it live with Taylor was for the Nicaragua Earthquake benefit in 1973. It's a fun song to play!

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: May 4, 2005 19:40

I don't know, Liddas. Your example about Midnight Rambler is very good: Taylor's rhythm work on Ya-ya's is quite different to the 72 versions, for example, I like his strumming on these 72 versions better. But was it due to Keith being his rhythm master or only the evolution of his playing?? I don't know.

I don't find a clear Keith influence in Taylor's style, nor a Taylor influence on Keith's. Taylor's rhythm work when playing the riff on Bitch, for example, is totally straight "on the beat", as you said, totally opposed to Keith's style, which is slightly off-beat (take any JJF, he doesn't play the riff so straight). Maybe he took Keith's style about hitting the chords harder, but he didn't seem to take Keith's approach to rhythm.

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 4, 2005 19:49

A couple of things...

1. Didn't Brian play slide on "No Expectations"?

2. OpenG, is everyone who disagrees with you wrong? Why is your OPINION the only valid one?

Date: May 4, 2005 20:28

Yes, indeed. Brian did play slide. I think Baboon Bro wanted only to mention it as a way of getting ablett and Open G off of each other.

Posted by: Deidre ()
Date: May 4, 2005 20:30

Taylor's rhythm guitar in his solo shows is direct, sharp and gutsy - without the need to run around the stage or make overt, dramatic arm/leg movements or intense facial expressions.........it's all in the wrist action........and the yet sharp interneural linkages.......

Take a song like Twisted Sister........it's the main rhythm riff, which is just SO arresting and raunchy........that makes the song so great.....(some nice lead work too, but that does not form the song's structural basis....it's the rhythm, stupid....

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: May 4, 2005 21:06

Hey Elmo,

Ablett is one of te ones who's always complaining when someone starts talking
about Taylor on one of Ronnies post's so Open G just returned the favor.
If that clown (Ablett) likes Ronnie over Mick T. why does he throw those
"jabs" in on a Taylor post?? Like Open G says he's a weenie, it's not about his
opinion - MLC

Date: May 4, 2005 22:28

Cool!

I liked Brian.
I liked Taylor.
I like Wood.
I'll like the next guy who plays for the Stones.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 4, 2005 22:34

But...

Do you like Darryl?
Do you like Blondie or Bernard?
Do you like Chuck Leavell?
And...do you like Lisa Fischer?

Explain...

Date: May 4, 2005 23:03

No.
No.
Sometimes.
Yes.
No.

EDIT:

Not on record. Could be tolerated on stage if not visible. (Under the stage perhaps?)

On record. Not on stage. Not even under the stage.

On record. Only boogie rhythm permissible live. Out of sight.

On record and on stage. Visible, if loses some weight. Or hung from the ceiling.

See above.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-05-04 23:41 by Deidre.

Date: May 4, 2005 23:43

Hey, I've an idea! Get Taylor to play under the stage. Suberb sound. Superb R&R air-guitar antics on stage.. Wood and Taylor fans happy and in eternal love-in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-05-05 11:07 by Deidre.

Date: May 5, 2005 03:36

ChrisM Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mick is still playing "No Expectations" live so
> far as I know,. I think the only time they did it
> live with Taylor was for the Nicaragua Earthquake
> benefit in 1973. It's a fun song to play!

Hyde Park.

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: May 5, 2005 06:36

Yes, Mick has stated Keith was an influence. Besides the drugs (which he did not mention in the interview I'm thinking of), Mick has stated the focus on "groove" was an influence.

Mick, however, has played on or slightly behind the beat as he wished throughout his career, both in rhythm and in leads. Also, I think the tension between his playing on the beat and Keith playing slightly behind the beat gave many Stones songs a unique, great tension. I missed that after Taylor left. (John McVie and Mick Fleetwood also played with this sort of tension, with McVie on or a little ahead of the beat and Mick a little behind it. Personally, I'd rather listen to Brown Sugar and Star Star.)

Not mentioned by others though is the possible influence of the breadth of the Mick and Keith's musical interests. Mick played with Sunnyland Slim and presumably other "country blues" artists before he joined the Stones, but the only "country blues" stuff that seem to have lasted in his repertoire to this day are You Got to Move and--of all things--No Expectations. Incidentally, Mick played No Expectations with Mayall and the Bluesbreakers during the Fall 2004 tour.

I don't think Ventilator Blues comes from Keith. It sounds like straightforward electric Muddy Waters music. Mick was doing that kind of stuff with the Bluesbreakers years earlier.

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: May 5, 2005 12:18

I have always thought that the Live rythym of Bitch is just beyond compare the way it used to be played, and the Perth 73 boots is about the best of that IMO. Anyone that doubts MT's work on rythym needs to hear that! And when they listen, it is apparent also that MT and Keith had tremendous influence upon each other.

Date: May 5, 2005 14:50

All I'm saying is live in the present.

Date: May 5, 2005 15:14

It's rather hard not to.

But if you mean " Don't listen to anything the Stones did in the past", well - even Licks is now in the past and there hasn't been a lot since then.

You enjoy 'Alfie', do you? (Havn't heard it myself).

Date: May 5, 2005 16:12

I just mean it's not 1972 anymore. Sure, I listen to and love the stuff from those days, but they ain't coming back.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-05-05 16:12 by Elmo Lewis.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1737
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home