Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Got Live If You Want It - Black Friday 2013
Posted by: novica ()
Date: October 28, 2013 13:45

just found it
Got Live If You Want It

sorry if it's posted before

ps
also Bob Dylan Side Tracks

Re: Got Live If You Want It - Black Friday 2013
Posted by: Harm ()
Date: October 28, 2013 14:00

I ordered it, but I doubt I will get it

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: October 28, 2013 14:00

When it happens?!

Posted by: Godxofxrock9 ()
Date: October 28, 2013 14:42

i am going on black friday waiting in the cold to get this and some other things

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 28, 2013 15:32

These things seem to end up on EBAY very quickly and after the initial 'rush' to buy it goes down they settle at a very reasonable price.

So if you don't get it on Black Friday, not to despair!

"Got Live If You Want It" EP For Record Store Day
Posted by: OlRiddim ()
Date: November 12, 2013 18:51

Press release:
ABKCO Records, a proud participant in Record Store Day's upcoming "Back To Black Friday" independent record store event, is releasing Got Live If You Want It!, a 7" E.P. by the Rolling Stones on "Black Friday," November 29th. The set includes songs not found on the U.S. album of the same title. The tracks were recorded on the band's fifth British tour at concert dates in March, 1965 in London, Liverpool and Manchester and released in 1965. The E.P., their first live release, which went to #1 on the E.P. chart in the U.K. in June of that year. The release serves an audio document of a time when the Rolling Stones, in their original line up of Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts, Brian Jones and Bill Wyman, had become headlining sensations and were well on their way to being recognized as "World's Greatest Rock and Roll Band."

The E.P., the title of which is derived from Slim Harpo's 1957 single "Got Love If You Want It" on the Excello label, covers songs associated with Solomon Burke - "Everybody Needs Somebody to Love" - Otis Redding - "Pain In My Heart" - Nat King Cole - "Route 66" - and Hank Snow - "I'm Moving On". "I'm Alright," an early Jagger-Richards composition, is also included as is the crowd chant "We Want The Stones."

Track Listing:
1. We Want The Stones
2. Everybody Needs Somebody To Love
3. Pain In My Heart
4. Route 66
5. I'm Moving On
6. I'm Alright

Re: "Got Live If You Want It" EP For Record Store Day
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 12, 2013 18:57

The E.P., the title of which is derived from Slim Harpo's 1957 single "Got Love If You Want It"

Thanks! Never knew this factoid.

Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: November 12, 2013 21:31

"I'm Alright" was written by Bo Diddley

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: November 12, 2013 22:37

It's funny on the NME Awards show Charlie introduces I'm Alright as a Bo Diddley number. Jagger is smiling next to him and yells What?!
Funny how the band takes a songwriting credit for the opening We Want The Stones, which is basically just a bunch of teenagers yelling that!

Date: November 13, 2013 00:22

roundnround

No, it wasn't, but it was inspired (in places) by Diddley's She's Alright.

EDIT: The Stones's version is based on Diddley's version - although he probably didn't write it himself...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-13 15:27 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: November 13, 2013 01:30

DGA35
It's funny on the NME Awards show Charlie introduces I'm Alright as a Bo Diddley number. Jagger is smiling next to him and yells What?!
Funny how the band takes a songwriting credit for the opening We Want The Stones, which is basically just a bunch of teenagers yelling that!

I think they deserve some publishing royalties for coping with thousands of screaming teenagers for five years. smiling smiley

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: November 13, 2013 01:38

There's a nice compilation called UK EP Collection which has The Rolling Stones, Five By Five and Got Live if You Want It, complete. Available on Spotify and Pirate Bay. smoking smiley
Personally, I think both Got Lives are quite enjoyable. Together with England '65 (released with the Charlie Is My Darling movie recently) they form a decent document of live '60s Stones. There's more that could be released though -- Paris '66+67, Hawaii '66, BBC ...

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 13, 2013 02:07

DandelionPowderman
roundnround

True that Diddley had a song called "She's Alright" as well, but I guess the song The Stones were 'inspired' was the one called "Im Alright", recorded live in July 1963, and released January 1964 in BO DIDDLEY'S BEACH DAY PARTY.

Listen here:

I don't think it would have been too much asked if they had added Ellas McDaniel to the credits.... But probably Andrew Loog Oldham decided to take as many bits from the royalty cake as possible (think of another 'original' "We Want The Stones"..)eye rolling smiley

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-13 02:19 by Doxa.

Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: November 13, 2013 03:28

"We'd like to play a Bo Diddley number"...

Date: November 13, 2013 04:13

But then we have to remember that a wonderful r&b band called Little Anthony & The Imperials did also "I'm Alright" already in 1959, which might have inspired Bo Diddley (who would actually record "She's Alright" two months later...)

And here is 'inspired' Bo:

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-13 04:19 by Doxa.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 13, 2013 04:48

They shoulda released it like the Japanese did back in '82
with mini-condom in the obi strip ...............

ROCKMAN

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: November 13, 2013 05:56

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 16:25 by camper88.

Date: November 13, 2013 05:59

.....get ya ..but think it'd be tight in any land ...hhhaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: November 13, 2013 06:57

Doxa
But then we have to remember that a wonderful r&b band called Little Anthony & The Imperials did also "I'm Alright" already in 1959, which might have inspired Bo Diddley (who would actually record "She's Alright" two months later...)

And here is 'inspired' Bo:

- Doxa

You mean Bo Diddley did a Jimmy Page even before Jimmy Page ever did a Jimmy Page?

Fancy that!

Date: November 13, 2013 11:58

stonehearted

You mean Bo Diddley did a Jimmy Page even before Jimmy Page ever did a Jimmy Page?

Fancy that!

grinning smiley

Those were inspirational days, or maybe they were feeling 'alright' a lot at the time...

It could be that the Stones picked up the song straight from Bo's live performances - I guess "I'm Alright" might have been a regular number in his sets at the time he toured with The Stones in England during the late 1963 (the live album was released in January 1964).

Funnily, Diddley also recorded a song called "I Know (I'm Alright"), but I haven't been able to trace when it was recorded/released, but I guess between "She's Alright" and "I'm Alright". It's here:

- Doxa

Date: November 13, 2013 12:04

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
roundnround

True that Diddley had a song called "She's Alright" as well, but I guess the song The Stones were 'inspired' was the one called "Im Alright", recorded live in July 1963, and released January 1964 in BO DIDDLEY'S BEACH DAY PARTY.

Listen here:

I don't think it would have been too much asked if they had added Ellas McDaniel to the credits.... But probably Andrew Loog Oldham decided to take as many bits from the royalty cake as possible (think of another 'original' "We Want The Stones"..)eye rolling smiley

- Doxa

LOL! I stand corrected grinning smiley

Date: November 13, 2013 12:24

Funnily, Diddley also recorded a song called "I Know (I'm Alright) , but I haven't been able to trace when it was recorded/released

I'm Alright was recorded at Bo's home studio Washington DC
2 May 1961 but released as I Know on the album - Bo Diddley's A Twister - March 1962

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-13 12:27 by Rockman.

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: November 13, 2013 12:43

A better idea would have been to release Live In England ยด65 on both vinyl and CD!
(without having to buy the Charlie Is My Darling box)

Date: November 13, 2013 13:14

Rockman
Funnily, Diddley also recorded a song called "I Know (I'm Alright) , but I haven't been able to trace when it was recorded/released

I'm Alright was recorded at Bo's home studio Washington DC
2 May 1961 but released as I Know on the album - Bo Diddley's A Twister - March 1962

Cheers, Rockman! You rock! smileys with beer

Well, now we could sketch a morphosis of the song:

"I'm Alright" (Cooke-Anthony, 1959) -> "She's Alright" (McDaniel, 1959) -> "I Know" (McDaniel, 1961) -> "I'm Alright" (McDaniel, 1963) -> "I'm Alright" (Nanker Phelge, 1965).

Could it be that Bo didn't want to make too big fuss about The Stones version, since he probably he wasn't keen on elaborating the song's history either... grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 13, 2013 15:12

Harm
I ordered it, but I doubt I will get it

It's always huge numbers of these "special editions" for Record Store Day ...I firmly believe that anyone who wants to get a hold of this EP will succeed..

Date: November 13, 2013 15:20

Available here as well: [www.musicstack.com]

(Paint It) Black Friday
Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: November 20, 2013 14:44

The expanded 'Got Live if you Want it' EP hits shelves on Nov. 29.

Added link:

[www.examiner.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-20 16:08 by Cocaine Eyes.

Re: (Paint It) Black Friday
Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: November 20, 2013 15:06

Expanded? Isn't it just the normal ep version?

Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: November 20, 2013 15:52

Sorry, but this is all I know:

The Rolling Stones will release an expanded version of their classic 1965 "Got Live if you Want it" EP to celebrate Black Friday.
According to an article posted Nov. 18 at Noise11.com, the reissued extended play 45 rpm vinyl will feature songs not initially included on the original release.

And:

Songs which were recorded during the 'Got Live if you Want it" concert tapings but did not appear on the EP and were never released, include : "Down the Road a Piece, "Little Red Rooster" and "The Last Time."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-20 15:55 by Cocaine Eyes.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: November 20, 2013 16:00

I think they have got it wrong somehow.
This is the official announcement:
[www.abkco.com]

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1635
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home