Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Do we need to know everything about the Stones?
Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 18, 2013 16:39

I am not the right person to ask this question, because I do know far too much already... Like that Mick is drinking Evian and Keith changed from Jack Daniels into Heineken beer and Charlie goes to horses shows in Poland and Bill is busy with Metal Detectors and Mick likes blue and pink on stage and so on and on and on but what makes ut that interested in all these details?

I have been to St Marks Place and Compass Point and I am "climbing" Primrose Hill every time I am in London, and I regret not having time to go to Dartford and Cheltenham that often. And one time I stayed in a hotel in Menton France near Nice I noticed Charlie was in the guest list so one more time I know something I was very happy about...

Are there no limits for how many details we want and need to know about the Stones? Should there be a limit? I think so may be, but may be it is too late for me...

Bjornulf

Re: Do we need to know everything about the Stones?
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 18, 2013 16:54

I'm not too sure what constitutes a healthy level of interest either.

...or at what point we assume the mentality of a stalker confused smiley

Posted by: bart-man ()
Date: October 18, 2013 16:58

Actually I'm not interested in things like their favorite food or color but more what kind of music they listen to these days. Or who's concerts they visit.

It's a kind of strange that we no more about them then they know about us. Of course it's not strange but when you are a world famous artist everybody know something about you.

I think it's good that we don't no everything about them because that would change the way look at them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-18 16:59 by bart-man.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: October 18, 2013 17:29

What is this "we" shit? smiling smiley

Unless they are invading the Stone's privacy/harming them, then who cares?

If a person can't control themselves with their interests and it becomes an obsession/addiction. Not my fault.

What would be the limits of discussion?

Posted by: TeleK ()
Date: October 18, 2013 17:41

i think,knowing too much destroys the legends,...in the end,..they are just humans like everyone of us else too...they eat,..shit and so on lol...being a fan,..you always wanna know everything,..i think the inner motive is the important question,..knowing everything is the illusion,you get "closer" to them,...but i guess, most of us, dont have one of them in their real friends "list"...so too much knowledge,...just supporting the illusion...
if many ppl make the effort,they do in stars,to their reallife environment,...the relationships in this world could be a lil better...its the lil thing we can do

ps: sure,theyve choosen that way,but there are limits,...and should be.its kinda sad,they have all this money,..and cannot go to a local pub,and get drunken like all of us....without fearing anything...

pps: cheers (beer)

-----------------------------------------------------
Oh, give me the beat, boys, and free my soul
I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-18 17:43 by TeleK.

Date: October 18, 2013 17:42

I don't think anybody said it was your fault smiling smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 18, 2013 17:57

I was fascinated by them for some time. I think as 'civilians' we're fascinated how someone rises from nowhere, which is where we're at, to world icons that we appreciate and follow. We know less than we think. Like when Bill released 'Rolling With The Stones' and we got to know about his war experience as a child. I've always been intrigued by the Stones and the Beatles because these are not individuals, but groups that had to live in proximity to each other, and meet and BOOM. None of them would have most likely had anywhere near the impact if they hadn't been part of that group, and that's a throw of the dice.

I'm pretty satisfied with what I know. I have a general idea of what formed them and what kind of worlds they grew up in. Brian remains a little mysterious because his family didn't talk much and there seems to have been some kind of conflict there. His sister, and Anita, might be able to help with that but so far mums the word.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: October 18, 2013 18:22

The only thing I care about is the music and the gear they use. The rest, not so much...

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: October 18, 2013 18:27

I find that the more you learn about a musician or musicians the more baggage gets added to their music.

There is something special about hearing music and knowing little or nothing about the people behind it. It's a more pure experience because it's mostly the music itself that's affecting you and in those moments you relate to it through your own life experiences not theirs.

Knowing the artists life stories, the ups and downs and how they relate to albums etc gets in the way of the music in a way. When listening to them now I have some of their life shite in mind, or silly technical info about the recordings and so on.

Being way past the point of no return, I most of all want to know who played what on their recordings, how, when and where they were recorded.

The element of surprise has some what gone from their music due to all of this, they sound too familiar, but bootlegs, previously unheard studio stuff, live recordings help re-ignite the spark a bit, but it's all been coloured by knowing too much I think. I arrive at unheard old recording with some prior knowledge, some expectations which will most likley be met and ears waiting to focus on specific things.

I guess for me the pure listening experience is long gone as far as stones music is concerned.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-18 18:31 by His Majesty.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: October 18, 2013 18:31

Yes, I'll admit I like all the gossipy details. But, I also think there are some things that should be private. Mostly, I like the discussions about the music best.

However, thanks to the guitar geeks here, I have actually picked up some of the gear lingo. But, to quote Alexander Pope, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing....grinning smiley

Date: October 18, 2013 18:36

...and following Keith's autobiography...a little thing is dangerous knowledge grinning smiley

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 18, 2013 18:48

Concerning the recent thread about MJ being swamped by fans at LA Airport - It made me ask myself "I wonder if Charlie Watts gets baraged as well?".

I have no idea if Charlie, Mick T., Ronnie etc.. receive the same public attention as M & K. In other words, they may be able to travel in public with less hassle.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-18 18:52 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: October 18, 2013 18:57

MingSubu
What is this "we" shit? smiling smiley

He has a turd in his pocket.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: October 18, 2013 19:00

This thread reminds me of how much I love great audiences...there for the music and the excitement of being in the moment.

IORR is not at all typical of the millions of people who have bought tickets to see the Stones for all these years. They live their own lives and are not obsessive about Jagger, Richards, Watts et al.

Date: October 18, 2013 19:06

Everything is the right limit.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 18, 2013 19:07

"Do we need to know everything about the Stones?"

That's a good question.

The Stones, like any other celebrity, are on the news almost everyday, and I think it's almost impossible for those who work with the media not to talk about gossips like "Mick will be a grandfather" or "Charlie is in Poland".

These kind of news means nothing for me, but for some people maybe it's relevant to know what Keith is drinking, and so on. And this is my point: it's not what we need to know about the Stones, it's what we make with these kind of information. The good (music-related or something alike) or bad (gossip, etc.) news about them are everywhere and everyday, and it's almost impossible for us not to read, because we all are fans.

It would be much better for us to talk about their concert last night in (put the city you want), or about their new record, but unfortunately, it's not the case.

Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: October 18, 2013 19:08

I don't really care what the Stones eat and drink for breakfast or any of the silly, mundane details of their lives. But this is the Information Age and nothing is sacred, especially when you're a celebrity. Admittedly, I would like Mick Taylor to write the book he's promised (as was discussed on another thread), as I am interested in his life as young guitar prodigy in working class England and his life in the Bluesbreakers. Not much about that, really. There was a time when people didn't talk much about their personal lives..the don't wash your dirty laundry in public mentality. I think the talk shows starting in the seventies changed all of that.

I'm not bothered either way as long as it is the truth. And sometimes with the Rolling Stones it's not always apparent.

Date: October 18, 2013 19:15

stonesrule
This thread reminds me of how much I love great audiences...there for the music and the excitement of being in the moment.

IORR is not at all typical of the millions of people who have bought tickets to see the Stones for all these years. They live their own lives and are not obsessive about Jagger, Richards, Watts et al.

Say's the author of a book containing many personal details about Jimi Hendrix etc.

Yah just essentially shat on bv's face in his own website.

grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-18 19:21 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: October 18, 2013 19:16

All you'll ever need to know!

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: October 18, 2013 19:21

Keith's little data sheet is hilarious.

Date: October 18, 2013 19:22

Brian and Bill 5ft 8. Lol, they wish.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 18, 2013 20:06

I was just thinking about Jimi Hendrix. I read his Dad's book and you realize that this majestic artist came from nothing and invented himself and brought us all so much. I like stories of that nature. It adds to the mystery of life.

Date: October 18, 2013 20:19

These days, I need to know only their tour intentions for extending the tour. If they don't play Miami, I will travel to another city to see them. If the Southern tour does not include S. Florida then Orlando, Tampa, or even Atlanta would be preferable.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: October 18, 2013 20:23

@BV - This is actually a very cool question. We should NOT know everything about the Stones. If we did, I think we'd be disappointed to discover that they are, infact, human!

I have always been a fan of the music. I never got the whole poster-memorabilia-collecting aspect, but know several IORRers personally who have AMAZING collections. My collection is a small stack of vinyl and a massive RAID5 archive of every recording I could ever find studio, live or Stones-related. My fandom is tied intrinsically to the music.

Like most fans I'd love to have a beer with any of the Stones, but as a male fan age 30, I recognize that they have no time for me and that I'd be the millionth person to want their time at any given minute. However... any conversation I'd have with them would just be pointless talk about music or live performances in general.

They are entitled to privacy.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: October 18, 2013 20:25

We've discussed Mick Jagger's penis size at length (pun intended). What about the other members? (pun intended) tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: October 18, 2013 20:28

eye popping smiley

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: October 18, 2013 20:29

yes...I wanna know what kind of toothpaste Jagger uses, so I can copy him

Date: October 18, 2013 20:32

flacnvinyl
@BV - This is actually a very cool question. We should NOT know everything about the Stones. If we did, I think we'd be disappointed to discover that they are, infact, human!

I have always been a fan of the music. I never got the whole poster-memorabilia-collecting aspect, but know several IORRers personally who have AMAZING collections. My collection is a small stack of vinyl and a massive RAID5 archive of every recording I could ever find studio, live or Stones-related. My fandom is tied intrinsically to the music.

Like most fans I'd love to have a beer with any of the Stones, but as a male fan age 30, I recognize that they have no time for me and that I'd be the millionth person to want their time at any given minute. However... any conversation I'd have with them would just be pointless talk about music or live performances in general.

They are entitled to privacy.

Nice post. Keith recently had a personal interview on PBS. It might have been several years back. I think it was held at a Library in NY. It was amazing and quiet and revealed what a great person he is with is insights on life other than his R&R acheivements.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: October 18, 2013 20:34

BV asked "Do we need to know everything about the Stones?"

I merely gave my opinion.

His Majesty, I never wanted to write about Hendrix although he certainly wanted me to...I have been writing professionally since the age of 17, and the Hendrix book was the third book I wrote. I believe in living in the present but with the rise of the internet so much wrong information was...is out there. I felt it was time for some truth after some thirty years of bullshit after his death. I asked two different well-respected writers if either of them would do it. I offered to turn over letters, recordings, notes both Jimi and I made over a period of several years etc, etc, Both of the writers I spoke to said, "YOU HAVE to do this." I didn't want to spent three years re-living the past but finally I did. Truth really mattered to Hendrix. He didn't want to be a rock GOD...he just wanted to play his guitar and get past a miserable upbringing and PROGRESS. I wanted him to have his truth out there.

I write for the reader and for history. And I don't owe anyone an apology, especially you, "His Majesty."

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 18, 2013 20:34

I squirm at the thought of 50 year-old men camped-outside whatever hotel the Rolling Stones may be staying at, whilst screeching 'Mick, Keef, Charlieeee! at any hint of a sighting.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1837
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home