Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Paris '67
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 13, 2013 07:54

Just listened to Ruby Tuesday from Paris 1967. One of the only times Brian just takes off on an instrument and ad-libs to magical effect. There's probably an old musty thread on this that I'm not good at finding. It seems like a natural for some kind of release. It really captures a certain live era of the band that we've not heard a lot of.

If there any experts on this, what are the best masters on this? Was it broadcast in Paris in stereo? I've heard wildly different levels of quality for this. How close was this to being Brian's last full live gig with the band? (Excluding of course the two song 1968 NME appearance).

Any film? That would be a great addition. I'm surprised ABKCO has never tried to find a way to release this as it would be in their jurisdiction. Maybe they don't possess any of the sound elements.

At any rate, Paris '67, Ruby Tuesday:

[www.youtube.com]

Re: Paris '67
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 13, 2013 08:44

I believe Athens 67 would have been Brian's last concert excluding NME and RNR Circus.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: October 13, 2013 10:38

(Sorry Brian's not in it.)

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 13, 2013 12:00

It seems an important tour because you can see them slowly morphing into the Jumping Jack Flash Stones.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: October 13, 2013 15:49

Unfortunatley the recorder is out of tune with the rest of the band, quite wild in places too. I know from personal experience that playing a recorder with a loud band is a battle from beginning to end. A fight to hear yourself and a fight to be heard.

Even if it were in pristine sound quality, I think it is way too rough for an official release.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-13 15:52 by His Majesty.

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: October 13, 2013 16:18

Actually, the recorder sounds fine pitch-wise, relative to the guitar and bass. And Brian does indeed go absolutely wild on it; now I see what Keith meant when he said Brian could pick up any instrument and play the hell out of it.

It's Mick's vocal that's out of tune. Really, really flat. In fairness to Mick, though, the song is clearly too high for him post-studio, plus sound monitor technology was primitive in those days (to say nothing of the fact that Mick probably couldn't hear himself with all the screaming from the audience).

If Mick 'has a voice' in the decision, it won't ever get released.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: October 13, 2013 16:27

Thanks for finding this 24FPS, amazing to hear. Rough, yes..but more than ready, I'd say.

Date: October 13, 2013 16:28

scaffer
Actually, the recorder sounds fine pitch-wise, relative to the guitar and bass.

No, the recorder is out of tune relative to the guitar and bass for most of the song, most likely due to Brian over blowing etc.

All quite understandable given the conditions, but out it most certainly is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-13 16:29 by His Majesty.

thumbs upRe: Paris '67
Posted by: BJPortugal ()
Date: October 13, 2013 16:46

Imo, its irrelevant who is out of tune.
The European 67 Tour was great and the recorded Paris a highlight.
They provided us great versions of Under my Thumb, Paint it, Black, two unique medleys(Get off/Yesterday's Pappers and Goin Home/ Satisfaction) and a chance to hear live Ruby Tuesday with Brian. thumbs up

One of the best performances of The Rolling Stones that i ever heardsmileys with beer

Date: October 13, 2013 16:52

The degree that he is out of tune wold stop it from being officially released is my point. The recorder playing is quite terrible really, iffy pitch and out of control and clearly unintentional octave jumps etc due to over blowing. All understandable due to the conditions and all part of the charm.

It is what it is though, an ace and exciting rough as @#$%& live track from 1967!

I really doubt we are ever going to see it included on a release that what's left of The Rolling Stones has any say about.

We don't need to wait for that anyway, we already have it. cool smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-13 17:00 by His Majesty.

Posted by: howled ()
Date: October 13, 2013 16:55

His Majesty
scaffer
Actually, the recorder sounds fine pitch-wise, relative to the guitar and bass.

No, the recorder is out of tune relative to the guitar and bass for most of the song, most likely due to Brian over blowing etc.

All quite understandable given the conditions, but out it most certainly is.

Yes, the recorder is out especially in the chorus and in other places, but with those primitive sound systems it's forgivable I think.

Mick has to descend down into low notes for the verse and Mick's voice has this different tone deeper section and higher section thing to it even when he speaks, as some impersonators pick up on.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-13 16:59 by howled.

Date: October 13, 2013 16:58

howled

Yes, the recorder is out especially in the chorus and in other places, but with those primitive sound systems it's forgivable I think,

Of course.

Posted by: howled ()
Date: October 13, 2013 17:13

Talking about out of tune things, what about Keith at hyde park in 69 and Eddie Van Halen playing Jump to a pre recorded synth track and the tech handing him a guitar not tuned to the synth track.

[popwatch.ew.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-13 17:21 by howled.

Date: October 13, 2013 17:15

That Van Halen thing is too funny and too bad! Ouch!

I can understand them not noticing though because sometimes when playing live the actual pitch is hard to hear, things can sound way out of tune when they aren't etc.

Sound battering the ears can play tricks on what you hear. I recall being at the front for an Oasis gig and the pitch of the band seemed to drop gradually as my ears took a battering from the huge speakers at the sides.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-13 17:17 by His Majesty.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2065
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home