Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT Tesla - 80s/90s band
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 9, 2013 23:38

Just saw these guys for a 4th time this past week. Boy are they still as fun as I can remember. I don't know how great I would rate them in terms of other bands such as the Stones or Zeppelin, etc, but when I was a kid they were one of the first bands I really got into on my own.

Seen them 3 times over the years, and while I'm nowhere near as obsessed with them as I used to be and fully realize they aren't that special, I still have a lot of fun seeing them live every few years and reliving my youth. Their concerts are mostly similar because they have "hits" that they are expected to play, but seeing them this past week I was smiling the entire time not caring what they decided to play. They still have a ton of energy for older guys, and while I wouldn't go bragging that I saw them, they made me still proud to be a fan.

Its funny how you have those bands that you may have really digged when you were younger that you now realize are just OK, but they will forever be imprinted in your memory. Same thing with a few other bands to me. Zebra comes to mind although I know there are more.

Re: OT Tesla - 80s/90s band
Date: October 10, 2013 01:05

great band

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: October 10, 2013 01:26

I enjoyed their unplugged album when they covered a local Ottawa band (Five Man ELectrical Band). My drummer drums for Five Man as well as Powergoats winking smiley

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: October 10, 2013 02:06

If you dig it, dig it twice. To hell with what others think.

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: October 10, 2013 03:07

I love Tesla

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Date: October 10, 2013 03:43

jamesfdouglas
I enjoyed their unplugged album when they covered a local Ottawa band (Five Man ELectrical Band). My drummer drums for Five Man as well as Powergoats winking smiley
I just heard Five Man Acoustical Jam on the way to work this morning. Probably the first time I've heard it in about 2 years. Boy, still holds up. All their albums are great, and nearly half of each had classic material, which was surprising they could hold up for so long. Their last album Forever More was really great, so I hope at some point they come out with another record. Bust A Nut is my underrated favorite.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 10, 2013 06:02

MingSubu
If you dig it, dig it twice. To hell with what others think.
thumbs up

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 10, 2013 06:59

Saw Tesla twice back in the late 80s/early 90's although I don't recall 100% who they opened for, Alice Cooper and perhaps Motley or Def Leppard
Their 5 Man Acoustical Jam album was the first "unplugged" type album and has several great cover versions. Signs was played heavily back then on the local Vancouver radio stations. Mothers Little Helper is excellent as are We Can Work It Out and Lodi.
Other than the unplugged album, don't know much about the band's history and wasn't aware that they were still touring!

Posted by: Powerage ()
Date: October 10, 2013 12:01

Do you remember the Quireboys ?

Date: October 10, 2013 12:42

Wow, never heard of the Quireboys! Actually, the name sounds a little familiar although its also possible I'm making that up. Either way, that song was great! I'm gonna have to look them up. Oddly enough, guess who they just played with this year lol:

"In March 2013, The Quireboys will be playing aboard the Monsters of Rock Cruise, along with bands such as Cinderella, Tesla, Kix, and Queensrÿche.[9]"

And yes DGA35, you probably saw them open for Def Leppard. That was one of their "bigger" tours. Lucky, cause they played really great back then so those must have been killer shows. You are also right about their unplugged album. Listening through it yesterday, I remembered why its such a pleasant listen, and its because their excellent musicianship, combined with the very out of left field but perfect cover choices make the album a nonstop blast. Cool that some people know who they are!

Date: October 10, 2013 13:04

RollingFreak
Wow, never heard of the Quireboys! Actually, the name sounds a little familiar although its also possible I'm making that up. Either way, that song was great! I'm gonna have to look them up. Oddly enough, guess who they just played with this year lol:

"In March 2013, The Quireboys will be playing aboard the Monsters of Rock Cruise, along with bands such as Cinderella, Tesla, Kix, and Queensrÿche.[9]"

And yes DGA35, you probably saw them open for Def Leppard. That was one of their "bigger" tours. Lucky, cause they played really great back then so those must have been killer shows. You are also right about their unplugged album. Listening through it yesterday, I remembered why its such a pleasant listen, and its because their excellent musicianship, combined with the very out of left field but perfect cover choices make the album a nonstop blast. Cool that some people know who they are!

you want the first major quireboys album A BIT OF WHAT YOU FANCY. like a mix of the black crowes and the faces. they still release great rock n roll albums but the one i named is the best

Date: October 10, 2013 13:05

keefriffhard4life
RollingFreak

you want the first major quireboys album A BIT OF WHAT YOU FANCY. like a mix of the black crowes and the faces. they still release great rock n roll albums but the one i named is the best

Thanks! Looking forward to looking it up on Youtube tomorrow.

Posted by: Glammy ()
Date: October 10, 2013 13:26

Great band. I saw them in the 80s and they were top notch!

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: October 10, 2013 14:07

great live band, saw them in 2009 in one of the best concerts of that year!!!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 10, 2013 16:57

I love Tesla and The London Quireboys.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 10, 2013 17:21

I saw Tesla in '92 and think they were actually the headliner here in Knoxville. Can't be sure. I just know in that particular room, on that particular night, they became the first band I put the ear-plugs in for due to it being SO LOUD! Don't get me wrong, it was a great show and I had a great time, just to loud. Although it was general admission, my friends, who were earplug-less, demanded that we sit in the bleachers at the back of the arena to avoid some of the volume. Me & my "plugs" loved every minute of it!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: TippyToe ()
Date: October 10, 2013 18:37

jamesfdouglas

YOUR drummer? Hey, you're HIS singer. winking smiley

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 10, 2013 21:56

I also liked the London Quireboys when they first came out. Their first album came out around the same time as the Black Crowes first one. His vocals sound like Rod Stewarts so they reminded me of The Faces. I think they might have recorded their follow up album in Vancouver.
Not sure why they're the Quireboys and London Quireboys? Might have been another American band called Quireboys so they had to add the London in front?

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: October 11, 2013 01:25

Saw them open up for Def Leppard in '87 when they were just wee little lads (as was I). I remember the lead singer saying something about just recently being a truck driver and now he's opening for Def Leppard. Their debut album at that time was killer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-11 01:31 by shadooby.

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: October 11, 2013 13:40

Quireboys are touring their new Long player 'Beautiful Curse' at the moment. Still Rocking, Still Rolling.

Tesla. Rock.

\m/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-11 13:48 by Monkeytonkman.

Date: October 11, 2013 13:59

shadooby
Saw them open up for Def Leppard in '87 when they were just wee little lads (as was I). I remember the lead singer saying something about just recently being a truck driver and now he's opening for Def Leppard. Their debut album at that time was killer.

wee lads? the members of tesla are actually the same age as he guys from def leppard (about 49-54) is the age range of the original members of both bands

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 11, 2013 19:33

A favorite of mine by Tesla:

The 5 Man Electrical Band - Absolutely Right (for the Powergoat!):

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 11, 2013 20:59

When this thread slows down maybe we can redirect it to saluting the man who did more for the way we live everyday than anyone else, ever, and hardly anyone gives him credit, knows what he did, or even knows his name... or that he was screwed by the humans who write the history books because he did not only think about making money on soicety.

When you flip that switch on your wall tonight
to turn on your lights... consider saying "Thank you Nikola Tesla".

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1601
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home