Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: David Bowie Reality Tour Dublin 2003
Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: September 28, 2013 22:38

I'm watching this David Bowie concert from Dublin 2003
and I must say the band is excellent (they are very tight!)
and David Bowie is really good interpreting songs and he is very real, not pretending or fake all the time like Jagger.

And the bass player woman who is also singing is fantastic!

Bowie is really charismatic person, he is not a usual rock star type at all,
he is kind of modest I think.

This is quite a lot of said from the hard core Stones fan!

I'm not very familiar with David Bowie recordings or performances,
I know the biggest hits of course.

Any opinions about this?

Re: OT: David Bowie Reality Tour Dublin 2003
Date: September 28, 2013 23:45

smileys with beer

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 28, 2013 23:52

David's amazing. I'm not the biggest fan of that concert because there's a lot I don't know, but I've heard people say its up there with his best stuff. Its exactly why I'd like him to just do a few more shows.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 29, 2013 03:01

That DVD is in fact one of his best performances and it is stunning! He doesn't have a lot of good full on concert DVD's and this one fills a big void. There is a fantastic diversity in the set list, old obscure songs, hits, and some hard driving current music. And the band is top notch! I saw him on that tour in Singapore, and I have seen him 7 times before, and that was without a doubt the best show I have seen him perform.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: September 29, 2013 03:16

The same show is available on CD too, with some extra tracks.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: September 29, 2013 03:38

I saw 2 shows on that tour. Both were fantastic. That band is great. Fingers are still crossed they will perform live again. PS: the bass player, Gail Ann Dorsey, put out some fine cds on her own.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: September 29, 2013 04:09

Yeah, I saw him on that tour in Vancouver and it was a great show. Definitely the best setlist of the four Bowie shows I've seen-Dudes, Under Pressure, Life On Mars, Panic in Detroit plus four in a row from Ziggy to close, for starters.

Posted by: keefed ()
Date: September 29, 2013 11:42

rollingon
... not pretending or fake all the time like Jagger.

(...)

Is that the criteria to be a hard-core Stones fan to call Jagger fake?

Then I am not a hard-core Stones fan at all.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: September 29, 2013 12:11

We are now having a special TV program of Bowie for consecutive 10 hours.
50 Years of David Bowie

Reality Tour will start in about 30 minutes.
I saw for the first time that Peter Frampton played Satisfaction riff during Jean Genie in Glass Spider tour.smiling smiley

Date: September 29, 2013 12:48

Toru A
We are now having a special TV program of Bowie for consecutive 10 hours.
50 Years of David Bowie

Reality Tour will start in about 30 minutes.
I saw for the first time that Peter Frampton played Satisfaction riff during Jean Genie in Glass Spider tour.smiling smiley
Lot of people didn't like that tour but I had a good time at it. Saw it twice. Pretty hard core on the Bowie.

Date: September 29, 2013 12:52

keefed
rollingon
... not pretending or fake all the time like Jagger.

(...)

Is that the criteria to be a hard-core Stones fan to call Jagger fake?

Then I am not a hard-core Stones fan at all.

Maybe I put it out too harshly, I mean I respect Jagger A LOT as a performer, but his way of singing nowadays, there is always a little bit pretending involved, he just doesn't seem to be as genuine as he used to be in the 60s and in the 70s. But Bowie and Jagger are very different kind of singers and performers so maybe it's a little bit silly to compare apples and oranges.

Jagger's voice on the other hand was in super shape during 2013 concerts so I just hope he could put more real feeling into his singing and performing, emotionally this Bowie 2003 concert was much more genuine than the recent Stones concerts I think.

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: September 29, 2013 13:19

I saw Bowie in Paris on that tour, at the end of Licks. But my mind was still on my last show that tour, in Dublin. And meeting Jake Cohl and Anthony outside the venue, congratulating me on my X-pensive Winos t-shirt and talking about their forthcoming trip to Hong Kong didn't help!

I love Bowie, I liked the show a lot and the band is tight, but there is a clean / polished aspect to the show that doesn't make me want to see multiple shows on the tour. And when I got the Reality DVD, it indeed felt very similar to the show in Paris.

However I love the DVD because I was very happy to see Bowie on that tour (had seen him in 1995 before that). And because I have sweet memories from the Point that date from a few weeks before that concert!

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: September 29, 2013 13:47

It was, to the day, the best playing band I've ever seen.

Date: September 29, 2013 13:58

The woman who sang back up & played everything except bass was awesome.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: September 29, 2013 16:04

I went to the Nimes show and it was awesome. The mistral wind played all night with Bowie's hair...He was so happy that night and it showed.

Patti Smith was supposed to open but she had health issues so a rap band opend and got kicked out by the crowd. Great show.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: September 29, 2013 18:14

I have not watched that show but saw him twice on that tour: once in a 20,000 seat arena in Toronto and in a 3000 seat theatre in Buffalo. Both were adventurous shows, in regard to setlist. Both had lots of stuff from the Reality album, but also some lesser-known 90s stuff. In Toronto he thru in a few more 'hits' to appease the big crowd. In Buffalo he threw in some even deeper cuts of older material like Queen Bitch and Bewly Brothers. I didn't know all the material, but loved the shows and loved that he had the guts to mix it up, to not live in the past and not worry that the people in the premium seats would be upset at missing Young Americans.

I would pay to see him again as I know it would be new and have lots of unexpected moments. The same reason I won't pay to see the Stones again.

Posted by: peters318 ()
Date: September 29, 2013 23:16

I was at the gig at the Point and it was amazing
Hope he decides to play again some time soon

Peter
vintagerock

Posted by: ab ()
Date: September 30, 2013 07:32

I saw that tour in Fairfax, VA. It was the best Bowie show I've seen since 1978. Great band, interesting setlist. Bowie was engaged and having fun, a far cry from his coked up days.

Date: September 30, 2013 11:22

buffalo7478
I have not watched that show but saw him twice on that tour: once in a 20,000 seat arena in Toronto and in a 3000 seat theatre in Buffalo. Both were adventurous shows, in regard to setlist. Both had lots of stuff from the Reality album, but also some lesser-known 90s stuff. In Toronto he thru in a few more 'hits' to appease the big crowd. In Buffalo he threw in some even deeper cuts of older material like Queen Bitch and Bewly Brothers. I didn't know all the material, but loved the shows and loved that he had the guts to mix it up, to not live in the past and not worry that the people in the premium seats would be upset at missing Young Americans.

I would pay to see him again as I know it would be new and have lots of unexpected moments. The same reason I won't pay to see the Stones again.

Wise words.

I really envy the Bowie fans, why can't the Stones offer us the same luxury?

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: September 30, 2013 11:33

I never got to see Bowie prior to the Glass Spider tour but even on that much-maligned tour which is thought to represent him at a commercial sell-out / artistic nadir, he still managed to pull out such stunning deep cuts as "All The Madmen", "Sons Of The Silent Age" and "Big Brother". I was very impressed by his huevos as these were not safe, stadium-pleasing selections.

Date: September 30, 2013 11:40

Glam Descendant
I never got to see Bowie prior to the Glass Spider tour but even on that much-maligned tour which is thought to represent him at a commercial sell-out / artistic nadir, he still managed to pull out such stunning deep cuts as "All The Madmen", "Sons Of The Silent Age" and "Big Brother". I was very impressed by his huevos as these were not safe, stadium-pleasing selections.

True, although it wouldn't kill the stadium for him to play three deep cuts out of a 30 song setlist. I agree those are great choices, but I don't know why he wouldn't want to play some deep cuts. The stadium doesn't need to know every single song.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: September 30, 2013 11:43

RollingFreak
Glam Descendant

True, although it wouldn't kill the stadium for him to play three deep cuts out of a 30 song setlist. I agree those are great choices, but I don't know why he wouldn't want to play some deep cuts. The stadium doesn't need to know every single song.

I agree -- I was posting in response to this prior comment: "I really envy the Bowie fans, why can't the Stones offer us the same luxury?"

Date: September 30, 2013 11:49

Glam Descendant
RollingFreak
Glam Descendant

I agree -- I was posting in response to this prior comment: "I really envy the Bowie fans, why can't the Stones offer us the same luxury?"

Ah, my bad! I got it now.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: September 30, 2013 11:56

I saw Reality tour at Budokan, Tokyo.
It was an unforgettable show.
My only disappointment was he didn't play Waterloo Sunset that day.

Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: September 30, 2013 21:51

At the start of the concert he shouts out Tiocfaidh Ar la. Its Irish for Our Day will come, an IRA slogan at the time. Amazed he shouted it out. I am assuming some roadie or something put him up to it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-30 23:48 by Donnebr.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 1, 2013 00:02

Donnebr
At the start of the concert he shouts out Tiocfaidh Ar la. Its Irish for Our Day will come, an IRA slogan at the time. Amazed he shouted it out. I am assuming some roadie or something put him up to it.
l

Bowie explained in an interview later that he'd asked his (Irish) guitarist Gerry Leonard for an Irish phrase to address the crowd (I'd seen him at Slane in 1987 and he'd spoken in Irish then too - as Jagger did in 2007) and Gerry had (somewhat mischievously) given him that one. He had no idea of the significance of it and said he wasnt trying to make any 'point'. I think in the DVD extras you can see him backstage trying to rehearse some Irish expressions (badly!). His pronunciation makes it almost unintelligible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-01 00:03 by Gazza.

Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: October 1, 2013 01:24

I know Bowie is not Irish Republican so knew it was mischief on someones part. Still quite funny & as an Irish speaker i did a double turn when I heard him say it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2183
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home