Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Post "Last Tour" releases
Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: April 28, 2005 11:46

If this is really the last tour, the chance that they are going to open the vaults is growing, as was stated earlier on the board. I was wondering: what can be expected if the scenario is correct? What will be (re-)released in the years to come?

Live shows from previous tours? Outtakes maybe? B-sides? Flashy re-releases? The Stones at The Beeb? Maybe another new studio album? Or an album with blues covers?

Any thoughts?

Mr. E

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-04-28 11:57 by mr edward.

Re: Post "Last Tour" releases
Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: April 28, 2005 12:32

"Football, beer and rock & roll"

Full dvd-coverage including backstage scenes, stageset information and all songs from five different angles off the World Cup 2006 opening concert.

Where's me bottle opener?

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: April 28, 2005 13:02

I'd guess a BBC release but I think they won't bother and it'll be down to who ever takes over the corporation when they're all dead.

Their record sales have never been that great so don't expect expensive or expansive packages because no one wants to wait years to make their money back and go in to profit.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: April 28, 2005 13:54

"I'd guess a BBC release but I think they won't bother and it'll be down to who ever takes over the corporation when they're all dead."

You seriously think Sir Mick the Businessman doesn't already has plans to do something with the material that hasn't ben released yet? I don't think so!

Posted by: tomstones ()
Date: April 28, 2005 14:37

There´s nothing in the pot that we don´t have yet. If they put out live stuff from the 70s (Brussels 1973 or USA 1978), we will all hate it because it will be mixed, cut, pasted and crippled by Bob Clearmountain or some other fool and will never be COMPLETELY released like on a bootleg.

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: April 28, 2005 14:44

Agree completely with Mr. Edward. After the huge success that the Led Zep's releases did get, I bet that the Stones have seriously thought about the money they could earn with the material they keep in the vaults...

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: April 28, 2005 14:49

I believe that they recorded some 25 tracks, or parts of 25 potential tracks, for the "Bridges To Babylon" album. This is in addition to whatever they've worked on while preparing for the new album this year. If that's the case, maybe there's a possibility of using some of those new tracks for a future studio album release.

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: April 28, 2005 15:11

I hoenstly do not believe that any one looking at the "business" side of things sees huge numbers from the vault. First, the Brussels concert, for instance, is probably only of interest to hard core fans like those that post on the boards; most of the record buying public woould just look quizzacly at the realease of a conecrt over 30 years old. Second, even many of us would hesitate, or at least I would; how many copies of the same concert could I possibly want? Since I already have several and have listened to this concert for years, I would buy an "official" copy, buty only after new releasea of other artists I was listening to; heresy, I know.

It is also unrealistic to compare the Stones vaults to what Page did. After all, we only had basically and dismally The Song Remains the Same as an official release. Jimmie looked over the entire band's life to release what he thought was worthwhile in one bang as a one time thing. As far as I am aware, there are no plans and no efforts being made to look for more unreleased Zep stuff to polish. In the opposite vein, there is an official release for almost every phase of the Stones carreer. The mass market may well be saturated; though there might be a niche, a specailty area. As noted above, and over and over, Mick is driven to make as much for as little as possible. Does any one really think that if there was an unmined vein of gold in the vaults, he wouldn't already have people working on it?

Posted by: martingo ()
Date: April 28, 2005 15:21

I think you'll see the stones do something like the Doors have done -- you'll eventually be able to buy archival audio and video releases through their web site.

Posted by: Fansince1964 ()
Date: April 28, 2005 16:12

I agree with all above about this but there's one problem that has to be solved.
Legal differencies with Mr. Klein who owns much of the back catalog of the Stones material. As far as I know there a bitter fight still going on.

Let's just hope that all parties find it more interesting that the fans get all materials in the end!

HJofSweden

Posted by: martingo ()
Date: April 28, 2005 17:16

Fansince1964 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I agree with all above about this but there's one
> problem that has to be solved.
> Legal differencies with Mr. Klein who owns much of
> the back catalog of the Stones material. As far as
> I know there a bitter fight still going on.
>
> Let's just hope that all parties find it more
> interesting that the fans get all materials in the
> end!
>
> HJofSweden

I hope all the parties realize that the back catalog will be worth less and less as the years go on -- much as I love the stones, I don't think there are more and more die-hard fans being born every day.

Posted by: Macman15 ()
Date: April 28, 2005 20:10

Thats the biggie indeed Martingo!! There are NOT enough new fans to make up for the ones who are dying off or those that will be at "an age of could care less anymore"!! That is huge! HEll if they wait even 10 more years how many of us will still care that much? Yeah we might get a quick charge but NOW is the time!!!

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: April 28, 2005 21:10

It´s rumoured that ABKCO are just waiting for the tour to start, they have something ready for the market. My guess is that "Unreleased Deca Live Album" will see the official light of day. There might be an understanding between the combatants concerning this material, finally. A very dear NSV member with a little more insight than me thought so. We´ll just have to wait and see.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: tomstones ()
Date: April 28, 2005 21:24

1997 Mick asked Keith "Is this gonna be your last tour?" at the press conference.
Keith: "Yes, this and the next five".

Let´s count:
1. Bridges To Babylon 97/98
2. No Security 99
3. Licks 02/03
4. Farewell 05/06
5. ?
6. ?

If they make it till 2012, this would be fantastic: 50 years. Then they are allowed to go...

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: April 28, 2005 21:38

it'll be the last tour - circumstances have changed since Keith made his tongue-in-cheek remark.

Date: April 29, 2005 13:04

There is a rumour of a US only compilation, mentioned in Record Collector a couple of months ago. However the Stones would not sanction an ABKCO release against new product.

I would dearly love to see a well planned opening of the vaults but I feel it won't happen or will be badly done.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 29, 2005 13:36

mr edward Wrote:
> "I'd guess a BBC release but I think they won't
> bother and it'll be down to who ever takes over
> the corporation when they're all dead."
>
> You seriously think Sir Mick the Businessman
> doesn't already has plans to do something with the
> material that hasn't ben released yet? I don't
> think so!

Mick doesnt give a shit about 'old' material - plus, who would buy it?

GR and Kahoosier are both right.

Date: April 29, 2005 13:37

tomstones Wrote:
> 1997 Mick asked Keith "Is this gonna be your last
> tour?" at the press conference.
> Keith: "Yes, this and the next five".
>
> Let´s count:
> 1. Bridges To Babylon 97/98
> 2. No Security 99
> 3. Licks 02/03
> 4. Farewell 05/06
> 5. ?
> 6. ?

meanwhile, back in the real world.....

Date: April 29, 2005 14:07

Experience Hendrix have Dagger Records which has released a few recordings, couple of lives and some dodgy studio material. Bright Midnight (The Doors) four concerts and some compilations of material before releasing a 4CD of dubs from bootlegs and grinding to a halt. Purple Records (Deep Purple) some nice concerts before again seemingly stopping. Dylans bootleg series, superbly packaged and released about every 12 months (and The Albert Hall 66 release was criticised for sound quality). Pearl Jam, every concert since 2000 (except Roskilde) then cutting back to special releases. The Who, 2002 tour then nothing. The world isn't exactly gagging for archive releases and it will be interesting to see just how well a new Stones album does, in the UK probably top 5 then out of the chart in 2 months.

Date: April 29, 2005 14:11

The Who's "Encore Series" releases was also done for their 2004 tour, but otherwise you're spot-on.

Date: April 29, 2005 14:12

Did they ever release the Porsmouth Guildhall shows?

Date: April 29, 2005 14:20

not to my knowledge - just the 2002 and 2004 tour shows

[www.thewhostore.com]

Date: April 29, 2005 14:22

Gazza - I should have some CDR news soon (after the weekend), sorry for delays.

Date: April 29, 2005 14:30

great!

just in time for the new Rocks Off Bit-Torrent site ;-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1542
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home