Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Bad News - The 70's are gone.
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 27, 2005 22:19

Some on this board are having are hard time accepting reality. The bad news is that Taylor is gone and he ain't coming back, ditto Wyman, gas is no longer $.60 a gallon, the world is a much more dangerous place, and I'm no longer 18. Deal with it!

Re: Bad News - The 70's are gone.
Posted by: Deidre ()
Date: April 27, 2005 22:22

Hey, the seventies were Real too, (as are the eighties, nineties and naughties).

Deal with it.

(And more importantly, btw, it's still 0-0 between Chelsea and Liverpool).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-04-27 22:26 by Deidre.

Posted by: Stikkyfinger ()
Date: April 27, 2005 22:37

Worse news still - the 70's will be back in about another 65 years (the 2070's).....

Aw hell.....

Regards,

Ian.

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: April 27, 2005 22:58

The '70s are gone? Really? Farking hell, pull the other one! But seriously, discussing the past and waxing nostalgic about it has nothing to with accepting its passing Elmo. The Stones are the some total of their history so why not discuss various periods of their career, especially a period considered by many to be their best? You are of course welcome to not participate as the spirit moves you.

Posted by: Stranger ()
Date: April 27, 2005 23:19

---

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-04-27 23:25 by Stranger.

Posted by: Stranger ()
Date: April 27, 2005 23:22

But what's wrong with appreciating the music made in the 70's more than what was put out later or earlier... Chacun a son gout - Each to their own taste.
To me, the 70's represent a great era musically and artistically, a bit like an extension of what was good about the 60's. That is, until punk music and the punk movement kicked off/in and suddenly it became fashionable to be completely a-tonal and all the rage to be unable to play in tune.

Also, the Stones are not the only band whose 70's output eclipsed their earlier or later material.

Elmo Lewis (I'm sure you know Brian's early stage name was a reference to Elmore James. Now there's someone from way back but does that mean his role as a musical pioneer is irrelevant now or should be forgotten about?):
Anyway, going by the number of high-profile casualties in the late 60's and early 70's (I mean in the world of music and arts specifically), are you sure the world is a more dangerous place now? Ok, the prices of fuel have gone up a bit, so I suppose there is the risk of a Heart Attack at the Gas Station for those that haven't filled up since the seventies...

Posted by: Deidre ()
Date: April 28, 2005 00:27

Totally up-to-date.0-0. A Liverpool victory.

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: April 28, 2005 00:34

So it's Back to Zero for Chelsea Deidre?

Posted by: davido ()
Date: April 28, 2005 03:53

Stones music from that
period was timeless. If you
want something contemporary
get something new. Otherwise;
enjoy!

Posted by: Esky ()
Date: April 28, 2005 04:12

thanks for reminding me Elmo....

It just goes to show what a force the Stones were during the 70's that we continually speak about these times.....

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 28, 2005 05:06

I was 7 years old in 1970.

The '70's are the historical and musical soundtrack for the most exciting and adventurous times in life, including my rebelious teenage years. To say that the '70's are gone would be denying the existence of one of the most important periods in my life.

Mick Taylor and the Rolling Stones output during the first 5 years of that decade are superior to everything else that I can think of from most other bands. I was a Zeppelin fan, a Hendrix fan, a Bob Marley fan, and a even a Deep Purple and Black Sabbath fan...thanks to my older brothers record collection. But first and foremost I was a Rolling Stones fan. Eventually, my personal tastes in the late '70's deteriorated to the point where I actually embraced Punk Rock. Thanks to bands such as the Stones, Pink Floyd, Sabbath, Purple, etc., and all the classic rock bands that turned into giant pre-historic money-mongering machines, I sought out the alternative. I then sought out rare, and at the time some might say strange and primitive Jamaican reggae, especially all the weird dub stuff from Lee Perry and King Tubby and other genius Jamaican producers. I then entered college and studied music appreciation, classical music, and Jazz. But then I came full circle when I saw the Stones for the first time in '81...up there in the top 3 of the best concerts I've ever attended...even though it was Ronnie rather than M.T. Unfortunately, aside from Some Girls, the Stones output during the latter part of the decade was considerably weak, and one can only point the finger at Ronnie Wood for this decline in quality. But the live shows were great (and still are to this day for the most part) with Ronnie and they always will be better than most, but as I said, the decline had already set in as far as recorded output is concerned. Thank goodness we have the recorded genius of Mick Taylor during his period with the Stones, it's a great topic to discuss, and without it there wouldn't be much else to talk about regarding the Stones into the '80's, 90's, and now the '00's (?).

For the record, I am a devout fan of the Brian era as well(the sountrack to my childhood '60's upbringing), but the fact remains that it was the early '70's and the Mick Taylor era that deserves the most attention. Regardless of all this rambling nonsense of mine, the Stones - in any formation - are the worlds greatest rock and roll band (along with the Beatles) in the history of the world...period!!!

Date: April 28, 2005 08:54

You have a flair for the obvious... sigh. I work w/a guy who listens to 70s classic rock on the radio. I gotta say rock was better back then than it is now. I mean, who dies in their own vomit now? No, just some sober alcoholic/junkie choking on Linda Bloody McCartney's tofu treats!

Oh, and Dame Bono at Ivar's in Seattle, fresh from spending the night at Bill F*cking Gates's house. Puh!

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1410
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home