Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Joan Jett Tossed from South Dakota Float in Macy's Parade
Posted by: TippyToe ()
Date: November 16, 2013 23:56

South Dakota made the right decision. When you get into bed with the nutjobs at PETA, you need to be prepared for the consequences.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: November 17, 2013 00:12

This is staggering news....what the neck is North Dakota gonna do to stay in the news?

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: November 17, 2013 00:18

flilflam
[music.yahoo.com]

Joan Jett was asked not to appear in the float sponsored by South Dakota in the annual Thanksgiving Day Parade, because of her involvement with PETA, or People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals), and because she is a vegetarian. SD felt that her views were not compatible with those of the cattle industry in SD. She will, however, be asked to perform in another float in that parade.

I have always liked her because of her beauty and because she is a great Stones fan. She has covered Star, Star , for instance.

Great Stones fan? I recall her saying something like, "The Stones used to be great. Now they suck." That was in 1976.

Date: November 17, 2013 00:20

tatters
flilflam
[music.yahoo.com]

Joan Jett was asked not to appear in the float sponsored by South Dakota in the annual Thanksgiving Day Parade, because of her involvement with PETA, or People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals), and because she is a vegetarian. SD felt that her views were not compatible with those of the cattle industry in SD. She will, however, be asked to perform in another float in that parade.

I have always liked her because of her beauty and because she is a great Stones fan. She has covered Star, Star , for instance.

Great Stones fan? I recall her saying something like, "The Stones used to be great. Now they suck." That was in 1976.

Thats what most of the great Stones fans here say...?

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: November 17, 2013 00:23

Munichhilton

Then they will all be asked not to appear in the float sponsored by South Dakota in the annual Thanksgiving Day Parade

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: November 17, 2013 00:23

Munichhilton
tatters
flilflam

Don't forget that 1976 was the year they released Black and Blue.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: November 17, 2013 00:25

Munichhilton
tatters
flilflam
[music.yahoo.com]

Thats what some Stones fans here say. FTFY

Date: November 17, 2013 00:25

should read- Thats what some supposed Stones fans here say.

Date: November 17, 2013 00:32

I am a long term Joan Jett fan and I never knew her views on this.

I have seen her many many times in concert and have never heard her talk about her views on this, or her views on anything like that. She just rocks, like a a good rocker should.

Apparently the hay seeds up in where-the-fk ever had never heard of good ole Joan Jett and decided they better do more investigating than anyone ever has.

I dont gvie one fk if Joan is a vegetarian or gay or from another planet as long as she rocks... and she does.

PS
I am happy to read she will be getting paid $5000 for this gig, that is more than I will be making on Thanksgiving day.

"I've decided to switch from South Dakota to another float because people's political agendas were getting in the way of what should be a purely entertainment driven event," Jett said in a statement released Friday. "I will remain focused on entertaining the millions of people watching, who will be celebrating a great American tradition."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-17 00:35 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Horseswild ()
Date: November 17, 2013 01:03

I was expecting to see footage of Joan Jett actually falling off a Float while rockin away !!

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: November 17, 2013 01:03

Joan Jett all the way. Don't know what more to say.

Date: November 17, 2013 01:05

TippyToe
Max'sKansasCity
"I've decided to switch from South Dakota to another float because people's political agendas were getting in the way of what should be a purely entertainment driven event," Jett said in a statement released Friday. "I will remain focused on entertaining the millions of people watching, who will be celebrating a great American tradition."

Yeah sure, as long as your great American Thanksgiving Day tradition doesn't include eating turkey: [www.peta.org]

yaaaaaaawn

Date: November 17, 2013 01:05

Horseswild
I was expecting to see footage of Joan Jett actually falling off a Float while rockin away !!

He-He! That's actually why I opened the thread initially.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: November 17, 2013 01:07

Horseswild

Same here, thread titles can be so confusing. Gotta go with Max'sKS on this one, who cares about her politics? Stupid move that I bet will backfire.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: November 17, 2013 01:34

Kind of sad you guys want to see a fellow rocker fall. I'm not going any farther, to respect BV's request to avoid politics and general bickering.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: November 17, 2013 01:51

Parade is not animal friendly. They have a Sea World float unfortunately.

[www.crainsnewyork.com]#

Date: November 17, 2013 01:57

After ponderizing this for a while, I am kind of excited about the possibility that we could hire Joan and her band for only $5,000 and we could all get on a float, or flat bed truck.... or something, and drive around town while she and the band ROCKED THE CITY... that would be AWESOME!!!

Get like a tractor trailor flat bed thingy... set up a small stage at one end and some risers at the other end and maybe have a dance floor in the middle!! IT COULD BE ONE OF THE BEST BIRTHDAY PARTYS EVER!!! And we could drive around and/or park it, and Joan and the Blackhearts could jam their songs, and if people whined that it was too loud, THEN WE COULD JUST DRIVE AWAY!!! And if the cops got mad at us, we could just cross back over the state line AND BOOM KEEP ON ROLLING!!! and after everyone was mad at us for driving around, we could just park the flat bed in my back yard and keep on partying!!

For only $5000.00??!! WHAT A BARGAIN MURRAY!!!
(heck, maybe it would run $10,000 with all expenses (booze, party favors, truck rental, etc etc)

Date: November 17, 2013 01:57

<<Kind of sad you guys want to see a fellow rocker fall>>

No need to take the moral high ground. I believe we were only commenting on the curiously worded title.

Date: November 17, 2013 02:32

Further thinking about this... WOW!!! This state is paying a $175,000 total to have a float in this parade, and they are not very involed with the planning? Just 2 weeks before hand they are told who will be on their float? I would have guessed that people in the state might be more upset about that. Is this is the best use of state funds used to advertise? Seems like a lot of money. I wonder how much money Macy's makes on this parade?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-17 06:41 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: November 17, 2013 02:34

[music.yahoo.com]

The state pays $175,000 to support the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade and have a float in the event, and $5,000 of that goes to pay expenses for the artist on the float, officials have said.

The South Dakota float, which has appeared each year since 2010, features Mount Rushmore, the Badlands, the Black Hills and more

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: November 17, 2013 03:30

I hardly watch the parade anyhow, it's the one day a year I actually fix a big breakfast for everyone. Besides, the best floats are the old ones.

Date: November 17, 2013 03:32

stonehearted
Munichhilton
tatters
flilflam

I love that LP...recorded in Munich. First LP I ever bought in my young life.
Gulf Of Mexico played a starring role in the cover photos..yay Texas
If only Fool To Cry had been subbed for Slave...oh well

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 17, 2013 03:49

Tossed!!!!!!!!!!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 17, 2013 18:02

Munichhilton
I love that LP...recorded in Munich. First LP I ever bought in my young life. Gulf Of Mexico played a starring role in the cover photos..yay Texas

What does Texas have to do with Black And Blue?

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: November 17, 2013 18:27

She's fortunate. I marched in the parade in high school. There was a dress rehearsal at 6:00 am, and it was absolutely freezing. It's not much warmer during the actual parade because of the wind. After marching in the parade, I remember going back to our hotel just to get warm, and watching OJ Simpson break the single game rushing record on TV. I may have been traumatized - I don't think I've watched the parade since then.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: November 17, 2013 18:33

GasLightStreet
Munichhilton
I love that LP...recorded in Munich. First LP I ever bought in my young life. Gulf Of Mexico played a starring role in the cover photos..yay Texas

Nothing. According to Wikipedia, the cover pics were shot in Sanibel Island, Florida.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: November 17, 2013 20:14

loog droog
GasLightStreet
Munichhilton

Nothing. According to Wikipedia, the cover pics were shot in Sanibel Island, Florida.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Well, Texas is on the Gulf, but that's like saying "Pacific Ocean? Yeah, Hawaii!"

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 17, 2013 20:16

latebloomer
Horseswild

Same here, thread titles can be so confusing. Gotta go with Max'sKS on this one, who cares about her politics? Stupid move that I bet will backfire.

thumbs up

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 17, 2013 20:18

Munichhilton
stonehearted
Munichhilton
tatters
flilflam

I love that LP...recorded in Munich. First LP I ever bought in my young life.
Gulf Of Mexico played a starring role in the cover photos..yay Texas

Munich, just curious, what was the first LP you ever bought in your old life?

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 17, 2013 20:50

How about these floats:

[www.iorr.org]

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2221
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10