Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7071727374757677787980...LastNext
Current Page: 75 of 223
Re: Beatles vs Stones - and other Beatles stuff
Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: November 29, 2015 09:32

this is the latest: [deadline.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 29, 2015 20:16

Thanks Turner - look like things are moving forward. thumbs up

In other Beatles news:
(Never saw this, apologies if already posted)

Exclusive: The First Color Beatles Footage Revealed
Plus, new stills of John Lennon just two days before his death.
9/23/15

First Color Beatles Footage/John Lennon

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: November 30, 2015 07:32

Kind of spooky to see those pictures of John Lennon. Also didn't know The Beatles were still playing Besame Mucho in late 1963. That was cool to see.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: November 30, 2015 13:41

frankotero
Kind of spooky to see those pictures of John Lennon. Also didn't know The Beatles were still playing Besame Mucho in late 1963. That was cool to see.

I thought that there was something not quite right about the movie.

It was obviously in a small club (Cavern type, but NOT the Cavern itself obviously - not an ABC Theatre.

If I get time, and don't forget, I'll go back and re-read the article and cross check what it says against my library....

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: ash ()
Date: November 30, 2015 14:47

The clip on the website is actually from a show in (i think) Liverpool 1962 with Pete Best. Sound is dubbed from Star Club tapes.
(film might be st pauls church, birkenhead 10th feb 1962)
A bit of the Blackpool film is (again I think) in circulation and is from ABC Theatre, think some of it appeared in Anthology film too.
Hank Marvin is seen backstage with them. 25 aug 1963.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 4, 2015 23:58

RUBBER SOUL RELEASED 50 YEARS AGO THIS WEEK:

12 OCTOBER Recording sessions commence:
By the end of the month sessions complete.
Mixing, mastering, packaging, distribution work in November.
3 DECEMBER UK Release
6 DECEMBER US Release

14 new compositions plus new single = 16 tracks in all

All without the advantages of modern day technology.
How did they do it.
Pure genius.

Date: December 5, 2015 00:48

So if the stones follow the same timeline by early February we should expect 14 news songs and a hit single: just in time for Ole!

Posted by: herecomesrichard ()
Date: December 5, 2015 15:43

Having published my You Had To Be There book about the Rolling Stones, I'm now embarking on a similar one about the Beatles, capturing fan memories of seeing them live. So if you did, or know someone who did, and you or they have a story to share, please drop me a line at thebeatlesinthe60s@gmail.com

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 5, 2015 15:57

CaptainCorella
frankotero

I thought that there was something not quite right about the movie.

It was obviously in a small club (Cavern type, but NOT the Cavern itself obviously - not an ABC Theatre.

If I get time, and don't forget, I'll go back and re-read the article and cross check what it says against my library....

Yes, there's something shady here. First they really weren't still doing Besame Mucho in 63. I don't think so. And when you watch Paul is singing, but on the video he isn't even at the mic. Also they are in their leathers? Which also doesn't fit. I think this is an older video with no sound and they just put sound on it. And not well!

Date: December 6, 2015 07:44

Colts owner Irsay completes Beatles collection, buys Ringo Starr's drum set.

Beatles

Some Beatles fans buy the group's CDs. But Colts owner Jim Irsay has taken his love for the legendary band to a different level.

The Associated Press reported Irsay spent $2.2 million at an auction Friday to buy Ringo Starr's first Ludwig drum set.

MORE: The NFL's richest owners | Aaron Rodgers auditions for James Bond role

After picking up the drum set, Irsay mentioned the Beatles' reunion of sorts in a text to the AP.

"Finally, after 45 years, the Beatles are together again," the text read.

It's not the first time Irsay has opened his checkbook to pick up Beatles memorabilia. According to Fox Sports, he already owns guitars that once belonged to fellow Fab Four members Paul McCartney, John Lennon and George Harrison.

Starr used that drum set in 1963 and 1964 for many iconic Beatles tunes, including "She Loves You," "Can't Buy Me Love" and "I Want to Hold Your Hand."

For those Beatles fans who don't measure their net worth in the millions, the CD "Photograph: The Very Best of Ringo by Ringo Starr" is available on Amazon.com for $4.41.

Date: December 6, 2015 08:29

jlowe
RUBBER SOUL RELEASED 50 YEARS AGO THIS WEEK:

12 OCTOBER Recording sessions commence:
By the end of the month sessions complete.
Mixing, mastering, packaging, distribution work in November.
3 DECEMBER UK Release
6 DECEMBER US Release

14 new compositions plus new single = 16 tracks in all

All without the advantages of modern day technology.
How did they do it.
Pure genius.

50 Years of 'Rubber Soul': How the Beatles Invented the Future of Pop
A look back at the glorious moment when the Fab Four grew up
By Rob Sheffield December 3, 2015

Rubber Soul

Happy 50th birthday to Rubber Soul, the album where the Beatles became the Beatles. It was the most out-there music they'd ever made, but also their warmest, friendliest and most emotionally direct. As soon as it dropped in December 1965, Rubber Soul cut the story of pop music in half — we're all living in the future this album invented. Now as then, every pop artist wants to make a Rubber Soul of their own. "Finally we took over the studio," John Lennon told Rolling Stone's Jann S. Wenner in 1970. "In the early days, we had to take what we were given, we didn't know how you could get more bass. We were learning the technique on Rubber Soul. We were more precise about making the album, that's all, and we took over the cover and everything."

Rubber Soul was the album where the moptops grew up. It was also where they were smoking loads of weed, so all through these songs, wild humor and deep emotion go hand in hand, like George Harrison and cowboy hats. (No rock star has ever looked less stupid in a cowboy hat than George on the back cover.) In addition to everything else it is, Rubber Soul is their best sung album. You can have a great time just focusing on the background vocals: Paul McCartney's harmonies on "Norwegian Wood" are as rugged as John ever sounded, while John's backup vocals to "Drive My Car" and "You Won't See Me" prove he could come on as cute as Paul. It will always be my favorite Beatle record — even if Revolver is actually a little better. (I've made my peace with that contradiction.)

If there's a theme, it's curiosity, the most Beatlesque of emotions, and specifically it's curiosity about women, the most Beatlesque of mysteries to be curious about. Rubber Soul has the coolest girls of any Beatles record. "Girl," "I'm Looking Through You," "If I Needed Someone" — these are complex and baffling females, much like the ones the Beatles ended up with in real life. No happy romantic endings here, with the notable exception of "In My Life" — but even when the girls are way ahead of them, the boys spend the album straining to keep up. Baby, you've changed.

Did anyone before Rubber Soul sing about female characters like this? No, they didn't. For one thing, these women have jobs, and this is 1965. The L.A. scenester who hires Paul as her driver, the independent woman too busy with her career to return his phone calls, the Chelsea girl who gets up early for work in the morning, even though she's got John sleeping in her bathtub. (You'd think she could call in sick for that.) In late 1965, my mom, an eighth-grade public-school teacher in Massachusetts, got fired for getting pregnant (with me), because that's how things worked back then. The very idea of women having careers was a social controversy. But for the world's biggest pop stars, it was nothing to get hung about.

The Rubber Soul woman stays up late drinking wine on her rug after midnight, until it's time for bed. She speaks languages he can't translate. ("I love you" in French is just "je t'aime." It's not that hard.) She's not impressed by the Beatle charm — when you say she's looking good, she acts as if it's understood. She's cool. She makes the Rubber Soul man feel like a real nowhere boy. Yet even the sad songs here are funny. (Including the self-parodic machismo of "Run for Your Life," a song Nancy Sinatra turned into a gangsta classic.) I love the moment in "Wait" when Paul's girl asks point blank if he's been faithful on the road. "I've been good/As good as I can be" — riiiiiight. "Wait" is the song that totally explains why Paul was Bill Clinton's favorite Beatle.

Even the American version is a classic — this is the only Beatles album where the shamefully butchered U.S. LP might top the U.K. original, if only because it opens with the magnificent acoustic one-two punch of "I've Just Seen A Face" and "Norwegian Wood." I still can't decide which Rubber Soul is my favorite, having had a mere lifetime to make up my mind.

Given the album's impact over the past 50 years, it's startling to note how fast and frantic the sessions were. The Beatles didn't go into the studio with a mystic crystal vision to express — they went in with a deadline. They had to supply product for the 1965 Christmas season, which meant crunching it out in four frenzied weeks, from October 12th to November 12th. So they holed up in Abbey Road around the clock, pouring out music as fast as they could, holding nothing back. They were willing to try any idea, whether it turned out brilliantly (the sitar, the harmonium) or not (the six-minute R&B instrumental jam, which they wisely axed). They wrote seven of the songs in one week.

But with their backs against the wall, working under this pressure, the Beatles produced an album that was way ahead of what anyone had done before. Since these guys were riding new levels of musical fluidity and inspiration, firing on so many more cylinders than anybody else had, they stumbled onto discoveries that changed the way music has been made ever since. It was an accidental masterpiece — but one that stunned the Beatles into realizing how far they could go. After that, they went full-time into the masterpiece-making business.

Yet unlike some of their later artistic statements, this one was fun to make, and it shows. As Paul recalled, "Part of the secret collaboration was that we liked each other. We liked singing at each other. He'd sing something and I'd say, 'Yeah,' and trade off on that. He'd say, 'Nowhere land,' and I'd say, 'For nobody.' It was a two-way thing."

Just as George had never explored the sitar before, Ringo Starr had never played so fiercely — "Drive My Car" looms large in his legend, up there with "Rain." (Listen to him in the last bar before the chorus — every time it rolls around, Ringo slays with something different.) His drumming on "In My Life" is pure brotherly empathy — it sounds like he's giving John the courage to push on to the next line. It's impossible to imagine "In My Life" without Ringo in it, which is just one of the reasons every cover version falls flat. Ringo even scored his first songwriting credit for the throwaway "What Goes On." Asked in 1966 what he contributed, he said, "about five words."

You can hear the team spirit behind the album in the studio banter from the late-night "Think For Yourself" sessions of November 8th. John, Paul and George stand around the microphone, rehearsing three-part harmonies, but laughing too hard to get it right. John, holding a guitar, stumbles on the words. "OK, I think I might have it now," he announces. "I get something in me head, you know, and all the walls of Rome couldn't stop me!" All three keep up a nonstop stream of chatter. John slips into a mock-preacher voice. "It's Jesus, our Lord and Savior, who gave his only begotten bread to live and die on!" Paul and George get in his face, yelling "Why such fury? What is this wrath that beholds you?" They gasp with laughter until John mutters, "I can't go on, I really can't. Come on, let's do this bleedin' record." They try another take. They don't get this one right either.

George Martin's ready for another try. John looks around and asks, "Paul?" Where is Paul? He's ducked into the bathroom to sneak a quick puff of weed — still playing the naughty schoolboys, the Beatles don't dare light up in front of Mr. Martin, though they're not fooling him for a minute. When Paul comes back, his voice sounds a little giddier. "I just got in from Olympia. I lit the torch!"

You can hear it in the Beatles' voices tonight — they thrive on each other's company, tuning into some wavelength nobody else can get. The street date is less than a month away — yet they don't sound worried. In fact, you might even suspect they're having fun. When John heads off to the loo, he sings one of the band's earliest ditties, the one George sang on their first album, "Do You Want to Know a Secret?" Though that song was barely three years ago, its coy innocence seems a lifetime away.

But John has changed the words a little, snapping his fingers as he sings out loud. "Do you want to hold a penis? Doo-wah-ooo!"

The Beatles went down to the wire with one final all-nighter — a marathon session from 6 p.m. to 7 a.m., on November 11th. They rose to the occasion by showing up with two of their greatest disenchanted love songs: Paul's "You Won't See Me" and John's "Girl." Their voices sound weary, yet that just adds the rough Dylan-esque tone they were hoping for. By dawn, it was all over but the mixing.

Those four faces were peering out from record racks a few weeks later, in Robert Freeman's classic distorted cover photo. For the first time, the band name was nowhere to be seen—only those cocky mugs. The four scared kids who looked so miserable a year earlier, on the cover of Beatles for Sale? Now brimming with arrogance. On fire with belief in their new music. Using instruments nobody can pronounce. Not really caring if you liked the old songs better. Full grown men, full of emotion and on top of the world. Meet the Beatles.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 6, 2015 12:00

Wow, cool article thanks for posting. Makes a lot of good observations and really adds to the folklore of the record. Guess that's why it's been my favorite Beatles LP for some years now. It took me almost 40 years to come to that decision, finally I had to pick a favorite because I got tired of people asking. I was a little quicker with The Stones "Sticky Fingers" only took about 20 years.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: December 6, 2015 12:23

The Beatles - White Album - mono first pressing. 2 lp set with # 0000001. Sold by Ringo Starr .
Lot closed - Winning bid:$790 000
[www.julienslive.com]

Date: December 6, 2015 12:32

ironbelly
The Beatles - White Album - mono first pressing. 2 lp set with # 0000001. Sold by Ringo Starr .
[www.julienslive.com]

lol the estimate was $60,000.

really good of ringo to do this. the money goes to charity, and he ensures that the work ends up in the hands of people who value it (and therefore will take care of it).

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 6, 2015 17:51

Turner68
ironbelly
[www.julienslive.com]

really good of ringo to do this. the money goes to charity, and he ensures that the work ends up in the hands of people who value it (and therefore will take care of it).

at that price they sure as hell are going to value it!

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 6, 2015 18:06

If you go on the Auctioneer's link you can view the 300 plus page catalogue.
Interesting insight into what guys like Ringo purchase in terms of art and other artefacts.
No doubt advised by art experts, investment people, but also using his own personal tastes and whims.
The individual Stones must have amassed similar collections and we only have a vague idea of what they contain. None of the books,not even Keith's Life says much. We know he has a book collection....but how many and other than military and music, no great detail of subject matter either.
Mick has been an art collector since the mid 60's and I bet he has looked at the investment potential....which can be huge.
Good old Ringo!

Date: December 6, 2015 18:16

I'd ripped the Beatles Mono Box to ITunes Lossless when I first bought it a few years ago.

Damn it sounds good with headphones on. Listened to Yesterday mono and stereo and then back to mono. No comparison, the mono is just so much nicer.

I received the vinyl mono box earlier this week, thanks to a tip from Cristiano on an Amazon price drop...haven't opened it yet. I think I may want to recalibrate my turntable first!

Date: December 6, 2015 18:21

Turner68
ironbelly
[www.julienslive.com]

It would be ironic if the winning bidder was the Michael Jackson estate.

I wonder what the single most expensive Rock and Roll item that has ever sold is...something from Elvis maybe? Or Dylan? Maybe Lennon?

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 6, 2015 18:24

Hairball
Turner68
ironbelly
[www.julienslive.com]

I wonder what the single most expensive Rock and Roll item that has ever sold is...something from Elvis maybe? Or Dylan? Maybe Lennon?

John Lennon’s 1965 Rolls-Royce Phantom V: $2,898,725.

Here's a list with 10 of the most expensive rock items that have been sold: [www.therichest.com]

Date: December 6, 2015 18:30

Cristiano Radtke
Hairball
Turner68
ironbelly
[www.julienslive.com]

Here's a list with 10 of the most expensive rock items that have been sold: [www.therichest.com]

Look at item number 2...how can journalism, if you can call it that, be so poor?

Date: December 6, 2015 18:37

treaclefingers

Look at item number 2...how can journalism, if you can call it that, be so poor?

LOL, I didn't noticed that. Somehow it reminded me that time when CNN reported that Neil Young had died, but actually it was Neil Armstrong. grinning smiley

Date: December 6, 2015 18:41

Cristiano Radtke
Hairball
Turner68
ironbelly
[www.julienslive.com]

Thanks Cristiano. thumbs up

Interesting that Elvis Presley’s 1963 Rolls-Royce only sold at $182,385 (1986).
And Lennon's Day in the Life lyrics sold for over seven times that at $1,344,477 (2010).

Also interesting there's no sign of Dylan on the list...thought his lyrics to Like a Rolling Stone fetched a large sum, or maybe I'm thinking of something else...

Date: December 6, 2015 18:54

Hairball

Also interesting there's no sign of Dylan on the list...thought his lyrics to Like a Rolling Stone fetched a large sum, or maybe I'm thinking of something else...

You are correct. That article I posted was written before Dylan's Like a Rolling Stone handwritten lyrics were sold: [www.rollingstone.com]

Date: December 6, 2015 19:00

Wow...all the way to #2 for Dylan.

Bummer The Clash got knocked out of the top 10 - maybe enough stuff will sell that KISS will get knocked off as well. cool smiley
(But then poor Elvis would fall to... )

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: December 6, 2015 20:44

Turner68

...really good of ringo to do this. the money goes to charity, and he ensures that the work ends up in the hands of people who value it (and therefore will take care of it).

'Part of the proceeds from the sale will go to Starr's charity The Lotus Foundation.':

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Let's be clear.

Olly.

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: December 6, 2015 23:58

sadly, new years eve marks the thirty anniversary.

[41.media.tumblr.com]

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: December 7, 2015 00:15

sundevil

[41.media.tumblr.com]

Of what?

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: December 7, 2015 03:18

Deltics
sundevil

[41.media.tumblr.com]

Of what?

The death of Ricky Nelson.

I assume because Gorge is in the picture posted, it's related to this thread somehow? confused smiley

Date: December 7, 2015 09:18

Olly
Turner68

...really good of ringo to do this. the money goes to charity, and he ensures that the work ends up in the hands of people who value it (and therefore will take care of it).

'Part of the proceeds from the sale will go to Starr's charity The Lotus Foundation.':

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Let's be clear.

The press is not always reliable. The majority of reports say it is all for charity, as a Google search will reveal. Neither you nor I should claim to know the definitive truth. In any case it is not material to the sentiment of my post.

Date: December 7, 2015 16:01

Hey Jude in a restored clip. Awesome work.

[www.youtube.com]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7071727374757677787980...LastNext
Current Page: 75 of 223

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2263
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home