Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Track Talk: Out Of Tears
Date: September 23, 2013 15:25

Autoharp solo? winking smiley

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 23, 2013 15:30

OMG! Fellow Iorrians! How can you compare this commercial for lubricant eye drops to their prime?!
Back in the day they could mimic Van Morrisson or anybdy really and make it sound real. Mick sounded real on Winter, MM, Love in vain, Memory, Angie (one of his best vocals) anything from Exile or IORR ("...friend"). The blues songs were real with one exception: I got the blues which is a constructed soul song. Even the toungue in cheek rockers like IYCRM exploded on stage in 1975 and 1976. Mick sang like some coked up butterfly at his best. Be that 1972/1973 or 1975.

Out of tears is a dry piece of boring thematics, aleft over from Wandering spirit.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 23, 2013 15:38

Big Al
Yawn.

That's the best comment today. Nice one Al. smileys with beer

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: September 23, 2013 15:40

DandelionPowderman
Luckily, we have a brilliant ballad like The Worst on VL. IMO, The Worst is better than most of the ballads you mention, Edward, except for Coming Down Again, which is a rare masterpiece, and quite a unique song, even for the Stones.

Blinded By Rainbows is even weaker than Out Of Tears, imo.

I kinda like the humorous Brand New Car, especially when the horns kick in. It was nice as a live numer as well.

Love Is Strong grabs me way more than Dancing With Mr. D. Both are songs with a dark atmosphere, but Love Is Strong has the bridge where things excel a bit, and the tension can be released. That never happens with the chorus on Dancing With Mr. D, which is in the same key - hence the less surprising elements and lack of dynamics, imo.

Yes, i see your point, Dandelion, but 'Love Is Strong' just sounds so clean, and clinical, by comparison. It's at this time, too, when Jagger's vocals are starting to become a little irritiating (especially the 'beautiful team' line). The lyrics aren't very convincing generally, anyway, either. They are just so obviously used, simply because they rhyme.

'The Worst' is ok, Dandelion, and perhaps better than 'Out Of Tears', 'Blinded By Rainbows' etc. but the only track for me that sounds remotely different to what the Stones had done before is 'Thru And Thru'. 'Thru And Thru' holds my interest in a way none of the other songs do. I'm not sure it demonstrates any true greatness, as far as it being especially inspiring, but it sure doesn't strike me as simply product, like much of the rest of the album, and that can only be a good thing!

Date: September 23, 2013 15:48

Yep, I agree, Edward. I simply forgot Thru And Thru. That one took me quite a while to grasp, and I think the MSG 2002 live version gives me the best listening experience. But it's interesting indeed.

The 90s digital rock sound should get some of the blame for the clinical sound on Love Is Strong, imo. The song is good, and Mick's dark voice singing is cool. The mannerism started to show, however, that's true. Some of those things we just have to put on the age-account. He simply wasn't 30 when he recorded LIS...

I like the honesty of The Worst, as well as the lap steel and the accordion. It's quite a charming ballad, with warts and all. And this time, not only in attitude or in branding. There are some very enjoyable passages in there, and the overall impression is for me a very good listening experience. The lack of vanity or "coolness" in this tune makes it a winner, imo.

Date: September 23, 2013 16:02

DandelionPowderman

I like the honesty of The Worst, as well as the lap steel and the accordion. It's quite a charming ballad, with warts and all. And this time, not only in attitude or in branding. There are some very enjoyable passages in there, and the overall impression is for me a very good listening experience. The lack of vanity or "coolness" in this tune makes it a winner, imo.

I like 'The Worst' too, Dandelion, maybe not as much as you, but i do like it. It seems we are back to the Keith songs again (after 'How Can I Stop' on another thread). It seems the Keith songs are at least interesting, in a way many of Jagger's songs are not! I think the lack of vanity or 'coolness' may be the key. Even if Keith's songs sometimes have a few shortcomings, i, for one, can sort of relate to them a lot more. PRIMITIVE COOL, was perhaps, the final time i found Jagger overwhelmingly interesting.

Date: September 23, 2013 16:46

DandelionPowderman
Yep, I agree, Edward. I simply forgot Thru And Thru. That one took me quite a while to grasp, and I think the MSG 2002 live version gives me the best listening experience. But it's interesting indeed.

The 90s digital rock sound should get some of the blame for the clinical sound on Love Is Strong, imo. The song is good, and Mick's dark voice singing is cool. The mannerism started to show, however, that's true. Some of those things we just have to put on the age-account. He simply wasn't 30 when he recorded LIS...

Thru And Thru is the most brilliant song on the album. And like you, Dandy, it took quite a while for me to get it. In fact it wasn't until I heard the extended 8.33 version on Voodoo Brew with all those spooky synths that the penny dropped.

Date: September 23, 2013 16:48

Silver Dagger
DandelionPowderman

Thru And Thru is the most brilliant song on the album. And like you, Dandy, it took quite a while for me to get it. In fact it wasn't until I heard the extended 8.33 version on Voodoo Brew with all those spooky synths that the penny dropped.

That is a great one thumbs up

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 23, 2013 17:05

Good point made by Edward Twining about the song being "early seventies style throwback", since there is a lot of in it referring to that direction - a point I didn't make in my earlier posts. I recall one review claiming that in "Out of Tears" Jagger is using his "Angie" voice again. I'm not quite sure if that is so, but probably something like that. Thereby, a typical number making VOODOO LOUNGE such a 'retro' album it is. (Then, a "Winter" style of lead guitar would make it more 'retro'...grinning smiley )

But there one can also so clearly hear what is a difference between a 'real thing' made then in those inspiring circumstances, and then some replica made still under 90's style way of producing.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-23 17:07 by Doxa.

Date: September 23, 2013 17:11

A Chuck Leavell "piano", some synth strings and a mature Mick-voice isn't very "retro" to me grinning smiley

New Faces, however, sounds retro.

Date: September 23, 2013 17:23

DandelionPowderman
A Chuck Leavell "piano", some synth strings and a mature Mick-voice isn't very "retro" to me grinning smiley

Jagger actually doesn't come across vocally too different from how he did in the early seventies in this instance, Dandelion. Maybe that area of his range hadn't changed too significantly. However, vocally on 'New Faces', he sounded nothing like mid sixties Jagger. 'New Faces' is another example of Jagger's recently acquired nasally voice beginning to aggravate. In the nineties it was still fashionable to use more modern technology, even if the goal was a more retro sound. There were few who were prepared to go back to recording/producing like in the old days. There's no doubt though, the seventies retro feel was what they were after.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-23 17:25 by Edward Twining.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 23, 2013 17:31

DandelionPowderman

Well, those are the means by which these old men try to give impression of good old times... And Jagger does his best to sound Peter Pan, which makes it a bit corny... And altogether, what makes it 'retro' like many things in VOODOO LOUNGE, is not the actual sounds (which are very 90's), but the very musical ideas that seem to lead their doings.

A bit like the way they try to reconstruct the original versions in their late-day live performances.

- Doxa

Date: September 23, 2013 17:49

Edward Twining
DandelionPowderman

Jagger actually doesn't come across vocally too different from how he did in the early seventies in this instance, Dandelion. Maybe that area of his range hadn't changed too significantly. However, vocally on 'New Faces', he sounded nothing like mid sixties Jagger. 'New Faces' is another example of Jagger's recently acquired nasally voice beginning to aggravate. In the nineties it was still fashionable to use more modern technology, even if the goal was a more retro sound. There were few who were prepared to go back to recording/producing like in the old days. There's no doubt though, the seventies retro feel was what they were after.

Remember, he tried to sound mannered on Lady Jane...

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: September 23, 2013 17:56

Really love this song, even though its a very rational, replica song. Still sounds good.

Come on Give Jagger a break for crying out Loud !!!!

Hahahaha

jeroen

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 23, 2013 18:20

corriecas

All right then: I will!
Mick Ballads are a genre I don't generally get into much, but this one works fine for me.
All the parts are screwed on properly, and doesn't sound like an eel singing as he hurtles toward the Sargasso Sea :E

Posted by: rocknroller ()
Date: September 23, 2013 20:13

The Worst deserves an official live release! One of Keith's best moments.

Date: September 23, 2013 20:19

with sssoul
corriecas

Mick Ballads are a genre I don't generally get into much, but this one works fine for me.
All the parts are screwed on properly, and doesn't sound like an eel singing as he hurtles toward the Sargasso Sea :E

LOL! >grinning smiley<

Date: September 23, 2013 21:09

with sssoul
corriecas

How fcking weird is that - I'm just researching a story I have to write about eels and have found out that fact about an hour ago. I kid you not!

Date: September 24, 2013 01:44

grinning smiley

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: September 24, 2013 04:07

...the problem I have with Out Of Tears is that it probably encourages Jagger to write ...more like that... and then we get Streets Of Love....

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 18, 2014 17:56

If a song doesn't provide much meaning to you through itself, life might help provide it for you...

Eric H.9 months ago

I miss you Dad, this song hits home because you were such a fan of Rolling Stones as was I...you introduced me to their excellent music...

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: February 18, 2014 21:40

Good track, ronnie is good on it

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: February 18, 2014 22:31

...don't like it...too long..!!

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 19, 2014 05:04

After the turgid boring Steel Wheels, Out of Tears seemed like a gift of classic Stones. Like a man trudging through the arid desert craving even a drop of water, I was eager to like Out of Tears. But that is pretty much what happened after listening to it for more than ten or twenty times, no more tears. Never listen to it now, as it sounds like dated Stones treacle. Sweet for a while, but it looses its flavor and depth.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 19, 2014 06:13

I liked it a lot ... until they copied it on every album since, or so it seems. i.e. Streets Of Love, Already Over Me, Following The River

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: February 19, 2014 13:37

Mediocre composition with a predictable, foreseeable melody line. Especially the verses are rather weak - actually spoken words without any musical fantasy. The solo is quite good but nothing what would be remarkable. Thus the song is rather boring. Another wasted opportunity to create a acceptable ballad in the ninetees.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: February 19, 2014 14:56

Interesting to read through Doxa's , Edward Twining, Silver and Dandelion's comments. I believe that what some of you comment on that Keith's songs sound like they are not always finished and Mick's songs sound sterile. My feeling on this is that Mick and Keith don't collaborate like they used to back in the day. The elements are there to make a great song but they are not adding each other's nuances to the songs anymore because they can't stand to be together long enough to do so. IMO lies the problem. Out of Tears which I do like but it sounds more like Mick solo than a true Rolling Stoned song. It they truly worked together as they used to I believe the song would be right up there. I still feel the two of them have the magic if they wanted to work at it. Though the concerts are not what they were back in the 70's you can clearly see that there is still some energy between the two of them. I wish that they would realize it and go make one last great record and include Mick Taylor and Bill Wyman they could really help the effort.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 19, 2014 16:12

The Bob Clearmountain remix edit version is good.

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: February 19, 2014 19:22

Vocalion
Boyband stuff

Always liked this song.............

But I have always thought, had it been released by a boyband at the time, it would have been a big hit

What a drag it is gettin' old

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: February 19, 2014 19:56

The out takes are fun to listen to

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2042
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home