Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: "Little" Stevie Wonder and that era
Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: April 25, 2005 20:43

Yesterday I heard on the radio "Fingertips" by Little Stevie Wonder, from the early '60's. I was reminded of what a fantastic live recording it is. He was so young his voice hadn't even changed yet! His harmonica playing was over the top, displaying a skill well beyond his years. Plus, the excitement of the corwd, his back-up band, the announcer, it all added up to make for an incredible recording, equaled by few of his subsequent studio efforts. At the end of the song, he is called back for more, and you can hear one of the musicians yelling, "What key, what key?" as the band went back into the song. In today's world, everything in concert performances is so "polished" and choreographed that such spontaneity could never happen. Yeah, we have nice shows, where the music and the visuals are carefully matched, but there is no room for the unexpected.

It also reminded me of the excitement felt on "Got Live it You Want It". It was an era where live rock concerts were in their infancy, and they generated an unparalleled excitement. It was all new. What a great era that was and I'm glad we can at least still hear the recordings from back then.

Re: OT: "Little" Stevie Wonder and that era
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 27, 2005 16:34

I miss the off the cuff moments at shows (especially the Stones). The sloppiness/drunkeness had a lot of charm!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1836
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home