Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Your account of shows you saw
Posted by: daytime ()
Date: September 11, 2013 20:34

Now that the tour for this year is over, what did you think of your shows you attended. For me, it was great San Jose was better than I thought. Met so many nice fans outside from all over. Here's a story for you bout SJ show. While in line there was a lady behind me she was searched and security found a kitchen small knife. They took her away, she was in her 50s, she said she had it for protection being in a big city, she said she came from out of town.Whooooo thats
not good. Give me your stories about your experiences at your shows.

Re: Your account of shows you saw
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 11, 2013 23:22

....well actually my account was pretty damn empty after attending the San Jose show ...

ROCKMAN

Date: September 11, 2013 23:42

This is the thing that really strikes me...Back in the "olden" days, say 1975 when the Rolling Stones announced 6 dates at Madison Square Garden, getting tickets was less a matter of affording them - it was simply securing them. My ticket cost me $12.50 and I was lucky that I had a friend who stood on line at a ticketmaster location and purchased my ticket. These concerts sold out certainly in a day, perhaps it was a matter of hours. Nowadays, tickets can sell out in minutes due to heavy internet buying. But here is the thing, for the 50 & Counting Tour, tickets never did sell out, at least not in my new hometown city, Chicago. Now they did sell out finally on the last day minutes before showtime. I was able to purchase a face value ticket for $150 at the United Center at the Box Office, and without paying any additional fees, a few minutes after the scheduled start time of the show which was 8:00PM. I knew full well that the show would not start until closer to 9:00PM so there was no additional angst there. But can you imagine buying a Rolling Stones Ticket on the actual day of the show, from the box office on show day, and at face value? The final thought I have, is that this is NOT because the Stones are any less popular today than they ever have been....but seriously, guys? $600? $300? (plus service charges?) The show was great! The Rolling Stones are great! And I love all their music including the more recent releases, and I even like Superheavy! What a thrill that this has been my favorite band for nearly 40 years! (Hey, I was only 5 years old in 1962 and I was just not that hip to have purchased "England's Newest Hitmakers" at the time. But I have it now - and everything else that they have ever released, and few treasures that they have somehow "forgotten" to release too!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-11 23:44 by HopeYouGuessMyName.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 11, 2013 23:52

If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't have gone. It wasn't that great musically, and it was a far step down from past tours. A DVD would have sufficed. And I wouldn't have gone if I hadn't got an $85 Lottery ticket. (Which was more trouble than it was worth). The setlist was abysmally predictable. The guests were pointless. Only Mick remained at the high bar the band set long ago.

I could tell from watching the Pay Per View in December that they were going to need some help. I thought Mick Taylor would help punch up a lot of their sound, and they used him for exactly one song when I saw them, and that was pretty much the highlight of the concert. I remember thinking of Johnny Rotten when I was leaving, "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?" I've been to 10 Stones concerts over the years and I place this one at 9, only because number 10, Cleveland '78, was so chaotic and exhausting.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 12, 2013 00:07

This is a copy and paste of the review I wrote at the time, which was of the moment:

My first-ever Stones concert. After more than 3 decades of being a fan, I finally took the plunge and bought a ticket, tempted as I was at the prospect of hearing the band as they really sound, that is, without the excess backup players, in an arena, and with Mick Taylor on a couple of songs. I will explain in my review why this will not be the last time the Stones roll through town, as some posters have been projecting their fears of old age onto the future of the band.

First, my only criticism is not for the show, but for the merchandise vendors in the hallway outside the arena, who ran out of the best T-shirts well before the show started. There was quite a crowd around the T-shirt stall and I stood there a good 20 minutes sweating it out as I slowly inched my way toward the counter, eyeing a black tee with a mid-60s band portrait--but which someone well ahead of me got the last of, and this was a full half-hour before show time. So I got a mustard yellow shirt with a Steel Wheels era photo, but where Charlie was blocked out by Mick. Nice to see that Bill Wyman's image still appears on Stones concert merchandise--I'm sure he must get a cut?

The show itself sounded fantastic, and it wasn't really until the second song, IORR, that you could tell how loud Keith's guitar was in the mix. He played that one really well. In fact, Keith played great--and super loud--the whole night. He was all snarl, swagger, and smiles, clearly enjoying himself and really holding the band together. Mick looked over at Keith as the opening chords came in.

Charlie was also great--which became clearly apparent on the third song, Paint It, Black, when you were struck by the "thwack" and pop coming off the snare drum, making the song every bit as dynamic and exciting as it was when it was first recorded.

The only place where Keith might not have shone was Gimme Shelter. Though he didn't play any bum notes, it just seems that the intro and the solo are played a bit ragged, compared to the original version, but played nonetheless with a ragged glory. The extended instrumental playout toward the end of the song was engagingly hypnotic. You can still lose yourself in a Stones live jam. Big cheers from the crowd when Lisa took her soaring solos in the middle.

Then came the delightful surprises. All Down The Line was a full-tilt powerhouse, and Ron Wood's lead flourishes were superb. Mick interacted with Keith during this number toward the end for the only time in the show aside from their scripted mutual nod during Keith's initial sojourn around the ramp during Sympathy For The Devil. As the song was playing out to the end, Mick strolled over to Keith, crouched down, and pumped his arm toward Keith's guitar as a show of support to propel him onward.

Memory Motel was certainly a treat. I was expecting the fan vote to select this one, and during the day before the show I was fearful that there might be a not so special guest, thinking that there was no way that Keith would sing his part. For my concert attire, I wore black jeans and blue socks--I was Black and Blue for Memory Motel. A huge, rousing cheer erupted when Keith stepped up to the mic for his first vocal part, which was delivered with clarity and soul, and an even huger cheer at the end of that first part. They love Keef here.

As When The Whip Comes down was announced, you were in heaven, thinking how much better could it get. I was sort of hoping for CYHMK with Taylor, but by this point I knew it wasn't going to happen, as the rarities mini-set was wrapping up. Whip is better for the Boston audience, whereas the laid-back jazzy Mike Bloomfield/Carlos Santana-type vibe of CYHMK was more suited to the sunny California audience. Boston never produced a Carlos Santana. They prefer their rock n roll stripped down and to the point. When you think of Boston bands from the 60s, you think The Remains, and when you think of Boston bands from the 70s, you think Aerosmith--you get the idea.

Emotional Rescue is great live because the concert version brings out something the studio version does not accentuate--a thumping boom from the bass drum that is great for leaning on one foot and doing a one-hip shake throughout.

Having followed each show of the tour on this board, I knew what the rest of the set list would be--but that didn't curtail my enjoyment one bit. The announcement of Doom and Gloom brought no reaction from the crowd, but a warm hand was given after, likewise for OMS.

Midnight Rambler was quite compelling and it was great to have Mick Taylor on board, adding a bit of extra flesh on the bone. The best part was when the song slowed down in the middle for that series of crunch chords: "Weh-hell, you heard about the Boston"....bam! Suddenly the Ya-Yas record had sprung to life.

Then came the greatest hits--I prefer this term to "warhorses".

It has been asked by some posters whether The Stones ever get tired of playing their greatest hits at every show--I can tell you from watching them as they play, for instance, Brown Sugar, that the answer is unequivocally no. You see Ronnie and Keith interacting, Ronnie squinting and grimacing as he makes the effort to play the best possible solo--ditto that in Tumbling Dice--you see Keith grinning with joy as he strums away, you see Charlie remaining dedicated and focused throughout, and you see Mick delighting in working the crowd in his best music hall tradition. Sympathy was played well and Keith's opening crash chords were triumphantly loud--Jumping Jack Flash was a joyful highlight for the same reason.

Now, in closing, I would like to speak to all this talk of "the last time"--not the song, but the career of The Stones. People forget the words that follow: "this could be the last time, maybe the last time, I don't know....

That's right, you don't know, and neither do The Stones. Furthermore, like The Stones, you shouldn't worry about it, for if you let it trouble you, you will only cheat yourself out of a good time. And that's what a Stones concert is: a party, a good time. Why should a party be depressing? When you go to a party, you tell jokes, you laugh, and you carry on. You don't go to a party to sulk and read obituaries out loud, and leave depressed.

And that's why The Stones will never intentionally do a farewell tour--it would sully a good time, making the fun bittersweet. And the vibe they convey from the stage is one of pure joy and fun just living in the moment, and as long as this celebratory atmosphere continues, there will be more Rolling Stones shows. At the level they are playing at now, they give the impression that they could carry on for several years to come.

Viva La Rolling Stones. My first show shall not be my last. See you next time in Boston.

Thank you.

Posted by: onestep ()
Date: September 12, 2013 00:20

This was my account of the DC show....

This show being about my 85th Stones show, puts me in the amateurish category compared to most of the people that post here.
I didn't think I was going to be able to visit the Stones this time around, but my Stones *habit* kept my finger on the pulse, and I was able to get to TWO shows! So glad that I did, because the atmosphere of fan gatherings, pre show excitement, and the actual show is always a bigger event, than other concerts.

The Verizon center was packed, and there was Lenny Kravitz seen walking around the pit area, and on the floor. That gave the people in our section 113 the idea, that he would be the guest singer at this show, but that was not to be.

The bright red tongue stage setting, the lights dimming, the opening dialog, and the burst of energy into the first song was incredible! This IS the Rolling Stones, STILL powerful, and NOT a parody of themselves that I have heard some describe. The volume, the energy of the entire band, just HITTING the stage with such power and timing is something to be seen. It is hard to describe if you have never seen them perform. They still have the stuff to supply our habit. They were able to move me that much with Get Off My Cloud!

Everyone in the arena must have known why The Stones garner such a reputation just after the finish of this one song performance. Just exhilarating. The band made Cloud a live song as it was intended, not the 60's rhyming scheme single I glom over when I hear it on the radio. This is why The Stones are a band that absolutely MUST be seen live, no question are argument about that one.

They sucker punch you with Cloud, and then throw no less than three big shots at you in a row, all with the same power, if not more.

IORR...........Keith false start....they handled with humor...Ronnie kept playing for a moment, then restarted. Paint It Black..... Micks great vocals, and the ringing of guitars.....awesome performance. Gimme Shelter....Sound crystal clear, loud as it should be, they sounded as good as they did in the 90's. LISA!!

Worried About You....Mick starts by playing keyboard, and really one of my Tattoo You favorites, a real treat personally.

Street Fighting Man....Adrenaline surge again! Clanging guitars, with Jagger's perfect voice...a Stones classic live.

Only 6 songs in, and you know The Stones are well oiled, everyone knows their part, the band is throwing it at us. I was pleasantly surprised at the power of the production, well done! The sound was impeccable, clear and balanced.

We STILL have Rambler coming....emotional performance, second time seeing Mick Taylor live, and he adds flavor to the song. We almost got Cant You Hear Me Knocking as well, but it was dropped from the set list. I have heard this was due to time constraints, which was the only downer.

They know what they are doing, Mick is so concentrated on each song, he barely gets out of himself. It is hard to catch his eye, nearly impossible during a number. Seems like he lives each performance by ear, and emotion....an incredible live performer. The guy pours his soul into each song....to the point of almost losing himself virtually, while still tuned to every band members part. Hard to explain, but is something that has to be seen live.

What surprised me the most, is Keith Richards. Dispel all the rumors you have heard. It is obvious to me that hitting his head affected his performances at the end of Bigger Bang. The guy is right one his rhythms, his leads are as good as they have ever been, and he is an integral component of the band more than ever. His energy, alertness, humor, and pleasure to be there, or anywhere are more than obvious. He gets behind the band, and plays the way he always has.

It is my opinion that Mick and Keith are doing what they love doing.

Charlie grinning half the night, ear to ear, and it's obvious he loves being there as well.

Ronnie's diverse guitar playing is awesome, always with an eye on Keith, and vice versa. They are doing the guitar weave, just as good as ever.

Keith's, You Got The Silver is touching, and really a nice performance. Ronnie and Keith at center stage with acoustic guitars.

The band foray's into 2 new songs, and Emotional Rescue to give the setlist some texture. Thank you!

The encore, is where you think The Stones are going to hit you with one, and then split. No they don't!

I am so glad they decided to keep the choir for You Can't Always Get What You Want for this tour, it really hones the song to something magic for me. This song is closer to the vinyl and gives the number a real authentic feel. Really emotional to see.

JJF..........all I can say is thank you on this one, what a mix of sound. A real Jagger Richards performance.

Ending with Satisfaction.....it's over.......................sheesh.......bows, then done and done..............

Everyone was on their feet and dancing the entire show. I was sitting behind a first generation group of fans. I think that the entire crowd was very into the show, maybe not as much as the Philly 21st show. I think I got my money's worth...........and more. No let down for me.

All that being said, and I apologize if it's too much, a final Rolling Stones concert for me. Which was a perfect experience from beginning to end. One show is never enough on a tour, there is always so much going on, onstage. The way the band communicates with each other....tease each other....all while giving the audience something that is still different from other performers. I hope they can capture it on CD with a live compilation somehow, it is always hard to duplicate the performance. Just put it there, no twiddling about with the overdubs MICK!

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: September 12, 2013 01:46

onestep
IORR...........Keith false start....they handled with humor...Ronnie kept playing for a moment, then restarted.

I remember stumbling upon that version haha!

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: September 12, 2013 20:17

I saw only the opening night at the O2 in London, last year. Unfortunatly, I could not make the last show on 13th July, because of several reasons.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: September 12, 2013 20:49

I attended the first Philly show, after also seeing 50+ in November in Brooklyn. I had nose bleed seats for Brooklyn and was in the $80 lottery this time for Philly so I made the drive not knowing what to expect. The lottery had a line where you received your tickets in envelopes and I lucked out sitting on the edge of the pit eye level with the band. I've been to a number of Stones shows in the past but never with such extraordinary seats. The Philly crowd was great and everyone stood for the entire show. By now we all know the setlists and the Mick Taylor stuff but I must admit seeing Taylor was quite amazing in person. Watching Keith and Woody navigate the pit is a sight to see as they must constantly check their footing. Mick is quick to clear any nuisance that gets tossed on stage, watching out for his guitar mates. Sitting up close I got the impression they are watching each other's backs at all times, the trash talk we read is only a small part of these friendships. Brad Paisley was certainly a competent guest and hearing Dead Flowers was great fun. Highlight of the night was Paint It Black where Jagger teased the crowd holding back the outro raising the whole building. My thoughts during the show were appreciation for the professional ethic of this band as they gave no concessions to their age and were determined to rock. For all that's said about the 60's, 70's Stones I put the

consistently great 50+ tour right up there and in some ways above the messy elegantly wasted days gone by. Thank you Rolling Stones for hooking a poor boy up with the best seats in the house for 80 bucks, playing your hearts out and being so gracious to Mick Taylor and those who've waited decades to see him with the band.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 12, 2013 21:38

the stones rock !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: September 12, 2013 22:27

1. Chicago - best because in the Pit
2. Dec Newark show #1 - fantastic
3. Dec Newark show #2 - also fantastic
4, Boston - great
5. Philly - 2nd best
6. Vegas - MGM grand - what can I say, great

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1575
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home