Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Will Mick Taylor be included in any new Gig's?
Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: September 12, 2013 16:15

So true!smiling smiley

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: September 12, 2013 17:00

treaclefingers
Bellajane
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
You didn't like his dancing, kleerie??? I thought it was subtle and full of vibrato grinning smiley

In all seriousness: he said in an interview he learned how to dance from Jagger, but I would advise him to do that at home only. Good lord, he was the coolest Stone during the 69-73 tours. Just looking at his guitar and his bandmembers and only now and then a face expression (see MR on L&G for instance).

I agree with you 100%! I hated the genuflecting and kissy-face stuff. It made me sad to see him do this. I mean it's one thing to be happy..which he appeared to be..but it's quite another acting like a playful puppy grateful for a bit of kibble. Little Mick...just get healthy, stay healthy, look like the cool guy you really are, and play the guitar boy!smiling bouncing smiley

Aw leave the man alone. He was genuinely giddy and he showed it and wasn't afraid to show it and that made him all the more cool.

I completely agree with Treacle on this one. What Taylor can't have fun on stage and dance around a bit? what about Ronnie? he can clown around all he want's??

Thank God the Glimmers know what they have when Taylor's on stage with them..
Here's hoping for more!!! MLC

Posted by: moonlightaffair ()
Date: September 12, 2013 17:10

Exactly! More MT! Don't see anything wrong with him showing his delight. smiling smiley

Date: September 12, 2013 17:15

More dancing! thumbs up

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: September 12, 2013 17:24

Hoping the Stones use him as much as they can. When he plays the music is elevated again. Maybe they can hire him in the same manner they use Darryl and Chuck. I just listened to his solo on satisfaction in San Jose and it was really hot.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: September 12, 2013 17:43

DandelionPowderman
More dancing! thumbs up

Take up dancercise! Shake off the pounds and next time MJ will have skinny Mick Taylor up there playing lead on Dead Flowers and ADTL. Love in Vain too!

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: September 12, 2013 17:57

Yes, he is "IN"

Posted by: moonlightaffair ()
Date: September 12, 2013 17:58

Isn't it crazy that MT was backstage while they played these songs..aware that this has been discussed quite a bit before but....

Date: September 12, 2013 18:52

I'm wondering if he was feeling unwell at times. He may not have had the stamina, and some feel he was unrehearsed. Maybe things will be different during the next phase (and there will be one) of this tour.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: September 12, 2013 18:59

Bellajane
I'm wondering if he was feeling unwell at times. He may not have had the stamina, and some feel he was unrehearsed. Maybe things will be different during the next phase (and there will be one) of this tour.

Sometimes it was visible (and audible) that he was rather unrehearsed while trying to deliver like he used to do. On the LA and Glastonbury Knocking he was obviously feeling more self-confident. Hopefully he's able to follow that direction a bit further.

Date: September 12, 2013 19:33

I feel the whole experience was a bit overwhelming for him on many different levels. But he still did very well. I only hope the next time around they don't have special guests but much more of MT!smiling smiley

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: September 12, 2013 19:40

moonlightaffair
Exactly! More MT! Don't see anything wrong with him showing his delight. smiling smiley

Check out the IORR promos from 1974, specifically Ain't Too Proud To Beg. It pointed the way to a future with a dancing, and singing, MT.

Date: September 12, 2013 19:47

I wonder how much of that was choreographed, anyway. At that point in his life he wasn't a very happy guy, plus I can't imagine how much he truly enjoyed dressing up in a sailor's uniform prancing around in bubbles. That's not his destiny.smiling smiley

Date: September 12, 2013 19:53

It shows, though, that he had it in him, haha. My fav is the flower hat from Dancing With Mr D.

Date: September 12, 2013 19:59

He's always maintained that he wasn't shy and was boisterous at times. I believe I read that in an article in the Some Kinda Stones Connection thread. I remember in a Rolling Stone interview during the 1973 Pacific Tour he said he was quiet when performing because he didn't want to upstage Mick Jagger. So, indeed, he had a sense of humor. I guess we rarely saw that side of him back in the good old days!

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: September 12, 2013 20:08

Mick Taylor could be the support act for the next tour. And he can also play some songs with The Rolling Stones together. That would be a cool thing, for the band and for the audience too. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: September 12, 2013 20:22

i would think the band told taylor to step out more because he was "featured" on the songs he played just as the other guests were.

mick was just a more special guest because he's one of the stones.

if he were back in the band he would most likely stand in his old spot and just play.and yes he should lose the weight because he would not only look better but it would help his health.

a persons heart can only take so much
.if you've done drugs and drank for years and then are overweight later in life thats a disaster waiting to happen.

jagger always liked him,a little time in "mick bootcamp" would be great for taylor on every level.lets hope so,i want him back in the stones soooo bad.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: September 12, 2013 20:30

kleermaker
If Taylor will play on stage again with the Stones I hope he'll behave like during his tenure with the band: just standing still, at the right side to Jagger, just playing guitar and looking cute and cool. No more silly moves and 'dancing'.

I think you are longing a little too much for the old Taylor, kleermaker. I don't think Taylor will ever look 'cute' again, although him standing still in relation to perhaps an increased level of concentration is something he could well afford to adopt. I believe he still has it in him, even if he can't quite maintain his previous level of consistency. However, overwhelmingly i just get the feeling that Taylor and the rest of the Stones aren't really at the point in their career where they really feel they need to prove themselves, unlike back in the seventies. The shows are really just a celebration of their career and the mindset of the group is very different from those far off days. Be it down to age, which of course is a huge factor, or also perhaps a more relaxed mood within the group, the adrenaline just doesn't flow like it used to.

As far as recorded work is concerned, i believe Taylor could make an enormous difference, even if his presence wasn't too prominant. Those subtle little melodic touches of his could be the difference in a track being listened to, beyond just initially, where the novelty value still has a hold, even if the track as a whole proves pretty mediocre. My problem with the Stones more recent performances/recorded work is i just can't stand Jagger's voice any longer, and if the musicianship isn't especially exciting anyway, there's nowhere left to go. In part that was the reason 'Plundered My Soul' worked so well - the groove was just so good (in addition to Taylor's guitar playing), and that subsequently acted as a distraction from Jagger's terrible singing.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-12 20:40 by Edward Twining.

Date: September 12, 2013 20:41

Honestly, some people make it seem like he was spinning about the stage up there, during his solos in Knocking and Sway he stood rock still, except to cue changes in Knocking.

I agree that his presence has the possibility to make a big difference in the studio, just in the fact that I think it would give Mick J a bit more of an ally, versus the Ronnie/Keith axis. Not that I think MT wouldn't get on fine with the others, but hopefully it would lead to more collaboration and not just half MJ/half Keith songs. Probably, they'll end up using him as a hired hand anyway, so that all goes out the window.eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Reagan ()
Date: September 12, 2013 21:08

Edward Twining
...if the musicianship isn't especially exciting anyway, there's nowhere left to go. In part that was the reason 'Plundered My Soul' worked so well - the groove was just so good (in addition to Taylor's guitar playing), and that subsequently acted as a distraction from Jagger's terrible singing.

I agree except for the part about Jagger's singing being terrible. I didn't think it was bad, it just didn't fit the song. We needed 1971 Jagger voice, not 2010 Jagger voice. It just didn't fit. Taylor's 2010 guitar blended perfectly (credit to Jagger for bringing him in). And you're right, the song had a great groove and some nice, melodic touches. It was so close to being great. Maybe it would have been better if Jagger had just played harp instead of sing.

-R

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: September 12, 2013 22:04

Edward Twining
kleermaker
If Taylor will play on stage again with the Stones I hope he'll behave like during his tenure with the band: just standing still, at the right side to Jagger, just playing guitar and looking cute and cool. No more silly moves and 'dancing'.

I think you are longing a little too much for the old Taylor, kleermaker. I don't think Taylor will ever look 'cute' again, although him standing still in relation to perhaps an increased level of concentration is something he could well afford to adopt. I believe he still has it in him, even if he can't quite maintain his previous level of consistency. However, overwhelmingly i just get the feeling that Taylor and the rest of the Stones aren't really at the point in their career where they really feel they need to prove themselves, unlike back in the seventies. The shows are really just a celebration of their career and the mindset of the group is very different from those far off days. Be it down to age, which of course is a huge factor, or also perhaps a more relaxed mood within the group, the adrenaline just doesn't flow like it used to.

As far as recorded work is concerned, i believe Taylor could make an enormous difference, even if his presence wasn't too prominant. Those subtle little melodic touches of his could be the difference in a track being listened to, beyond just initially, where the novelty value still has a hold, even if the track as a whole proves pretty mediocre. My problem with the Stones more recent performances/recorded work is i just can't stand Jagger's voice any longer, and if the musicianship isn't especially exciting anyway, there's nowhere left to go. In part that was the reason 'Plundered My Soul' worked so well - the groove was just so good (in addition to Taylor's guitar playing), and that subsequently acted as a distraction from Jagger's terrible singing.

Wise words as always, Edward

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 12, 2013 22:32

Bellajane
IMO...I think it was a bit much. I guess we're just used to seeing him being cute and morose.smiling smiley

just don't insinuate he's now fat and jolly.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: September 13, 2013 01:35

Edward Twining
kleermaker

Prety much my thoughts, very erudite! I will disagree on Jaggers voice. He has a serious work ethic plus does not want embarrass himself to his upper crust friends. He has a crowd who he wants to maintain credibility within. My take is Mick did his best to train and maintain his vocals on high level. Please notice how all 2012-3 Stones dates had three days for Mick's voice to recover....

Mick did great plus these days he is the onstage conductor giving numerous gestures, grimaces and hand signals to his brothers in arms. His brothers in crime as they raked it in playing the Rolling Stones greatest hits

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: September 13, 2013 04:35

I don't like to admit it but the stones are old men
now. They have given their
Fans a tour celebrating 50 years of the best rock n roll. This may have been the last time. It was obvious Keith was struggling with his solo"s. He has always been my guitar hero and I felt really strange hearing him playing off notes. It hurt. But as I said they are old and did the very best they could. I believe that's why Mick t was invited to play with them. I hope I am wrong and they have the skill and stamina to do more tours

Time has been on their side.

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: September 13, 2013 09:24

Don't grief, I know how you feel. They should have launched a golden record together with the Voyager in 1977 (after they made their point with Wood on SG) and call it quits.

------>

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: September 13, 2013 09:45

Reagan
Edward Twining
...if the musicianship isn't especially exciting anyway, there's nowhere left to go. In part that was the reason 'Plundered My Soul' worked so well - the groove was just so good (in addition to Taylor's guitar playing), and that subsequently acted as a distraction from Jagger's terrible singing.

I agree except for the part about Jagger's singing being terrible. I didn't think it was bad, it just didn't fit the song. We needed 1971 Jagger voice, not 2010 Jagger voice. It just didn't fit. Taylor's 2010 guitar blended perfectly (credit to Jagger for bringing him in). And you're right, the song had a great groove and some nice, melodic touches. It was so close to being great. Maybe it would have been better if Jagger had just played harp instead of sing.

-R

Maybe you are right, Reagan. Perhaps 'terrible' isn't really the most appropriate term to describe Jagger's vocal on 'Plundered My Soul'. I think initially if you are attempting to put Jagger's vocals in context of those others which were genuinely recorded at the EXILE session, and 'Tumbling Dice' especially, as its structure seems so closely related, 'Plundered My Soul' seems way off the mark, in terms of relating to that period in time. However, and despite my initial thoughts that Jagger's vocals sound too thin and grating, they do have a kind of camp charm, which is the antithesis of much of the more manufactured type singing of today. In retrospect, it reminds me a little of my reaction when i first heard Jagger's vocal on 'Time Waits For No One', which i do quite like by the way. Maybe it was around the ITS ONLY ROCK 'N' ROLL era, when that type of thin Jagger vocal first came into play, although then it was nowhere near as pronounced. However, if Jagger had sung like that throughout the original EXILE album, it would not be heralded as the classic, it has grown to be over time. In 71/72 he really had reached a pinnacle within his rock vocal performances.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 13, 2013 11:15

kleermaker

Well, your post made me do a thing I haven't done earlier - to check youtube clips of the show I attended to. Namely, what I recall from that (last) gig (of tour) that was that Taylor was not any longer making "silly moves" or "dancing", or chasing Jagger, but was standing more still and concentrated on playing (only his hair moving thanks to air-conditioning in that hod day...). Yes, the clip kind of verified that my memory was not making tricks. From my experience he is 'moving' about the same as he has done in his solo gigs I've been to. Just 'naturally'. A huge difference to his appereance in his first gig last year. Or what do you think?

P.S. And it is a strong version of the song as I recall it being.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-13 11:17 by Doxa.

Date: September 13, 2013 11:42

The first gig was special. He was let out of the cage, and couldn't stag himself. In a way, that was natural, too.

Then, the two Micks (probably naturally) started this harp/guitar-thing, and made a bit of a show mid-way through the number.

Eventually, they probably got bored and went back to focusing on just playing.

Just me guessing here, of course..

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 13, 2013 13:01

Doxa

- Doxa

I think his solo from the 6th was better and one where there is a noticeable crackle of electricity as he launches in to the first fast run of notes.

Date: September 13, 2013 13:08

His Majesty
Doxa

- Doxa

I think his solo from the 6th was better and one where there is a noticeable crackle of electricity as he launches in to the first fast run of notes.

I agree. Luckily, I was there on the 6th grinning smiley

But this is indeed a good version as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-13 13:10 by DandelionPowderman.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1631
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home