Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

SAVE WILD HORSES - SLAUGHTER STARTED
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: April 22, 2005 21:02

Top Stories - Los Angeles Times

6 Wild Horses Sold by U.S. End Up at a Slaughterhouse

Fri Apr 22, 7:55 AM ET Top Stories - Los Angeles Times

From Associated Press

RENO — Wild horses rounded up on federal land in the West and sold to a private owner have been slaughtered for the first time since a new law went into effect, a government official said Thursday.

• Latimes.com home page
• Subscribe to the Los Angeles Times

"This is something we regret and are very disappointed this has happened," said Celia Boddington, a spokeswoman for the U.S. Bureau of Land Management in Washington.

"We make every possible effort when the horses are sold to make sure the animals are placed in good homes for long-term care.

The BLM is investigating this month's sale of six wild horses to an Oklahoma man and their subsequent slaughter at a commercial packing plant in Illinois, Boddington said.

In December, Congress repealed the 34-year-old ban on slaughtering wild horses that run free across the West. The move has brought a backlash from activists who want to reinstate full protection for the mustangs.

Officials for the Humane Society of the United States learned of the slaughter Thursday and protested to the BLM.

"There is no way this current system will work to protect horses," said Nancy Perry, the Humane Society's vice president for government affairs. "Until new legislation passes, our wild horses are going to be in jeopardy."

Perry said a man who identified himself as a minister in Oklahoma told the BLM he intended to use the horses in a program for troubled youth and bought them April 15. The man has not been identified.

The horses were sold for slaughter on April 18 to Cavel International in Illinois, Perry said.

"The BLM says they prescreen the buyers but obviously that isn't working," she said.

The new law, written by Sen. Conrad Burns (news, bio, voting record) (R-Mont.), was passed at the urging of ranchers concerned about overpopulation of the horses and their effect on the range.

"Obviously we are required by law to sell these horses," Boddington said. "In the bill of sale there is a statement that says the buyer will provide humane care for the animals. But once the animals are sold, they are private property."

Previously, under the adoption program, buyers had to keep the horses for at least one year before they obtained the ownership title to the animal, Boddington said.

BLM has sold and delivered nearly 1,000 horses since the new law passed. About 950 more have been sold and are awaiting delivery.

Re: SAVE WILD HORSES - SLAUGHTER STARTED
Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: April 22, 2005 21:56

In my country they try to extinct the Sami people a n d their (semi-)tame reindeers (Law suits are on where a few ground owners want to get rid of the at least 150 year old winter pasture; done by the reindeers wild ancestors for thousands of years). The wild reindeers are already gone. But I go to another board with that question.

Date: April 22, 2005 22:01

"Wild horses" deserve a special treatment on IORR, good fellow Baboon Bro

Date: April 22, 2005 23:58

Sure, brother Joker, sure.
But there is a strange lack of Gram Parsons-related topics in the Wild Horses-area, isnt it? Flying Burrito Brothers made the ultimate version of the Song WH in 1970, according to my opinion. And I dont say because of not liking the versions in my music machine by the Stones: they rule also.
I hope Gram´s angel-voice may have a jam session tonight with Mr. Johnson btw.

Date: April 23, 2005 00:07

Baboon Bro: are you a rock critic? I guess a deep, smart knowledge of music in your threads. I am impressed by your interviews.

Date: April 23, 2005 03:22

Well, I blush. Thanx. Well, sort of free lance rock journalist. But not as main profession. But I spend too much time here (e.g.) or googlin, when work waits to be done. But I also collect bits & pieces for a future project on the Stones, a trinity film-radio-paper, When I 50 I´ll first sail aorund the world & then write a book on the Stones (and maybe a semi-fiction on the Stones between 1968 and 83 or so, with flashbacks at Dartford & Cheltenham & Wyman/Watts playgrounds... It must start with Blietzen, its just a shout away...). No sh*t.
Everybody except joker: please forget that you saw this.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1524
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home