Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Paint It Black during 1967 tour
Posted by: dunhill ()
Date: September 4, 2013 10:26

I'm in the middle of a discussion with a friend of mine about whether Brian Jones used a sitar during live performances of Paint It Black in 1967.
His father has seen the band live in Genova on april 9th 1967 and claims Brian played a dulcimer or a hurdy gurdy, anyone can confirm or provide correct information? Thanks.

Re: Paint It Black during 1967 tour
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 4, 2013 10:47

The dulcimer was compact and easy to travel with, and he had one for the 1966 U.S. tour, so your father's claim is likely true.

However, the sitar would be another matter. Their concerts were fast-moving and chaotic and some time would have to be taken from a 30-minute stage show (if they could make it to 30 minutes without a riot breaking out) to adjust the orchestration, and it probably wouldn't make as much sense to have such a bulky instrument around for just one song.

I have a CD of their 1966 Hawaii concert (July 29), and Paint It, Black is in the set list. The song begins with what sounds like a guitar and proceeds with a twin guitar attack (begins at 6:39).

Also in this show Lady Jane appears to be played with guitar rather than dulcimer (begins at 10:20).

Here's a version live from Paris, April 11, 1967. It also sounds like a guitar version.

Posted by: dunhill ()
Date: September 4, 2013 12:35

Thank you, as a matter of fact the show my friend's father did attend was the one right before the Paris one you posted and it made no sense using one live setup for the whole tour except for the last show unless, of course, some technical problems with the sitar in Paris.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 5, 2013 12:14

Brian played rhythm guitar on Paint It Black and electric dulcimer on Lady Jane.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-05 12:33 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Shellray ()
Date: September 5, 2013 15:18

Great photo, thanks.

Posted by: BustedButton ()
Date: September 5, 2013 18:17

Does a clearer/ cleaner version exist from either the 66 or 67 tour? Or has anyone remastered it, or found a better version out there?

If so, can you tell us where to find it, or post a link or youtube link on here?

The Paris version is the best one I can find, the music is amazing, but the quality, overall, stinks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1379
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home