Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Joan Baez
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 3, 2013 08:55

Any fans here? Obviously, there's the Dylan connection, but a terrific artist she is. Beautiful, crystal-clear vocals. She's rather unique, I think. Here's one of my favourite performances to feature her on You Tube :-

Re: OT: Joan Baez
Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: September 3, 2013 09:02

yeah, we like joan. funny this thread up by Dylan @ same time. Always got a kick out of 60s interview in a limo featuring Dylan w/joan in tow, believe in England. joan was chowing on her morning donut and interviewer moseyed over to ask her name. joan, she said. joan what he asked. Baez, she said. The guy about shit himself, oh, oh, i'm so sorry, I didn't recognize you....Joan just smiled & continued on her donut. cool smiley

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 3, 2013 09:20

This scene from Dylan's Don't Look Back film was my introduction to the wondrous Baez. Did she record a version of this Dylan original? If she didn't, she certainly should have. Marvelous.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 3, 2013 09:23

Love the original by The Band, but I always liked her version of The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down, which she took to the top 10 (#3 U.S.; #6 UK) in 1971 and which was played on the radio for many years afterward.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 3, 2013 09:29

Fan here!

Always buying records coming from her, and since later also Emmylou...(two Dylan-chatterboxes)

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 3, 2013 09:31

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Torres ()
Date: September 3, 2013 09:38

Diamonds and Rust is my favourite. That 1st verse is such a beautiful piece of poetry. Love her voice, a great artist indeed.

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: September 3, 2013 09:42

Torres
Diamonds and Rust is my favourite. That 1st verse is such a beautiful piece of poetry. Love her voice, a great artist indeed.

yes, yes, I couldn't remember the name! the best! Heard Judy Collins (Baez' friend) do it on a PBS special last year. cool smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 3, 2013 10:36

"My poetry was lousy you said"...

It is is nice how Bobby describes the impression Joan did to him in the early days, listening her records and seeing her in television:

The sight of her made me high. All that and then there was her voice. A voice that drove out bad spirits. It was like she'd come down from another planet... Both Scot and Mex, she looked like a religious icon. Like somebody you'd sacrifice yourself for and she sang in a voice straight to God.... also was an expectionally good instrumentalist... There was no one in her class. She was far off and unattainable - Cleopatra living in an Italian palace. When she sang, she made your teeth drop.

Bob Dylan, CHRONICLES, pp. 254-256.

- Doxa

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: September 3, 2013 11:12

Baez with Wendy Hanson(Brian Epstein's secretary) at back stage of the Beatles show at Candlestick Park in August 1966.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: September 3, 2013 19:32

Toru A

Baez with Wendy Hanson(Brian Epstein's secretary) at back stage of the Beatles show at Candlestick Park in August 1966.

That's Dodger Stadium, but apparently she was at Candlestick, too.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 4, 2013 01:11

Lovely voice...................

Date: September 4, 2013 01:11

Date: September 4, 2013 01:12

Not really OT:

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: September 4, 2013 07:03

Seriously, when I saw the Rolling Thunder Revue I thought she stole the show. And I wasn't a fan. Her version of "Diamonds and Rust" that day made the hair on the back of your neck stand up.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: September 4, 2013 08:25

I've seen most artist perform and I've never been so in awe as with her. For me she is the same category of human beings as Mandela.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: September 4, 2013 09:30

This is from Japanese TV program in early '80s. She was singing the sabi portion in Japanese.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 4, 2013 14:57

For fans of hilariously awful Beatles covers ....

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: September 4, 2013 16:21

Joan Bias...
(sorry; I just couldn't resist it.)

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: September 4, 2013 17:12

Baez fans should avoid seeing her perform "You've Lost That Loving Feeling" from the film, "The Big TNT Show."

In the mid-70's I went to a rare screening of it at the New Vagabond Theatre and it was so screeching and awful that it evoked disbelieving gasps, until entire theatre gradually became filled with hysterical laughter...

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: September 4, 2013 17:56

RoughJusticeOnYa
Joan Bias...
(sorry; I just couldn't resist it.)

Well said.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: September 4, 2013 18:59

I couldn't abide some of her political views but you cannot argue her talents.
A 60s icon, really, I don't think she was meant for any other era. A lovely voice, like Joni Mitchell's.

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: September 5, 2013 00:16

This is my favorite by Joan Baez

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 5, 2013 01:04

loog droog
Baez fans should avoid seeing her perform "You've Lost That Loving Feeling" from the film, "The Big TNT Show."

In the mid-70's I went to a rare screening of it at the New Vagabond Theatre and it was so screeching and awful that it evoked disbelieving gasps, until entire theatre gradually became filled with hysterical laughter...

So, of course, I had to go looking for it. Here it is. It begins at 37:45 and yes, it's perfectly absurd.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-05 03:24 by tatters.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: September 5, 2013 08:25

Here's one for the Led Zeppelin fans.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 5, 2013 08:34

Doxa
"My poetry was lousy you said"...

It is is nice how Bobby describes the impression Joan did to him in the early days, listening her records and seeing her in television:

The sight of her made me high. All that and then there was her voice. A voice that drove out bad spirits. It was like she'd come down from another planet... Both Scot and Mex, she looked like a religious icon. Like somebody you'd sacrifice yourself for and she sang in a voice straight to God.... also was an expectionally good instrumentalist... There was no one in her class. She was far off and unattainable - Cleopatra living in an Italian palace. When she sang, she made your teeth drop.

Bob Dylan, CHRONICLES, pp. 254-256.

- Doxa

"That girl looked like she could use a singing partner!"

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 5, 2013 11:59

I always loved this description of Joan by BD.

Later on in the sixties, when the media pestered BD about his relationship to JB and if he'd seen her lately, he confided: "Last time I saw her, she was rolling around on the floor, tripping on acid. She used to enjoy wiping herself with the American flag after doing it."

Posted by: KalleBlom ()
Date: September 5, 2013 14:32

Yeah, Im a fan, too! Great woman, had a psychotherapy because of their agro-phobia, and she never takes drugs, thats impressively!

Posted by: rowley ()
Date: September 5, 2013 18:16

Silver Dagger
I always loved this description of Joan by BD.

Later on in the sixties, when the media pestered BD about his relationship to JB and if he'd seen her lately, he confided: "Last time I saw her, she was rolling around on the floor, tripping on acid. She used to enjoy wiping herself with the American flag after doing it."

Not a real Dylan quote. It's from a fake interview someone wrote as satire decades ago. Maybe National Lampoon.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 5, 2013 18:22

JOHN LENNON: "I never liked the fruity Judy Collins and Baez and all of that stuff. So the only folk music I know is about miners up in Newcastle, or Dylan." (Rolling Stone Magazine, 1970.)

Incidentally, in Walter Isaacson's biography of Steve Jobs, in the section where Jobs and Baez are dating, Jobs wasn't exactly a generous boyfriend despite his wealth (and Baez said that, despite what people thought, she wasn't rich herself).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-05 18:25 by Title5Take1.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1833
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home