Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: OT: Anyone paying any attention to US OPEN TENNIS?
Posted by: Greg ()
Date: September 4, 2013 11:58

Koen
Greg
What I don't get is the way tennis is braodcasted - and has been forever - i.e. filmed from the back. You don't even get a fraction of the the speed, depth and pace of the game compared to seeing it from the side. Should be a no brainer with today's widescreen TV's. Any cameraman or director who can chime in on this? Do they just want to be more conservative than Wimbledon's strawberries, cream and all white?

Good point. But with the traditional camera setup, you'll get a player's view, and can see much better where the ball goes, and where the openings are. I would be great to add the side view once in a while tough.

Yes, of course they should alternate views, but with the right camera position you can easily see where the ball goes – like in soccer matches. You see the trajectory of the ball better, you see players going back and forth, closing in, but above all you experience the tremendous speed of the whole action. I only started really appreciating the skill of good players after seeing live matches. It makes a ton of difference, it literally adds a dimension.

“Maybe those new-fangled "power" racquets have made the game a bit less interesting.” – Thank god for those big rackets with theirt bigger sweet spots. At least they give a late starter/really bad player like myself a chance to reach a certain level ;-)

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: September 4, 2013 17:39

Great photo of the great Borg!

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: September 5, 2013 20:49

Very sad that my secret love Roger Federer lost to Senor Robredo. There's still Novak (don't make me spell his last name) to cheer for.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: September 5, 2013 21:27

Andy Murray due to play soon and hope he can win and get to the semi-final.
He's in great form to defend his US Open title.
Come on Andy. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: September 5, 2013 22:49

Not a good start for him. sad smiley On the other hand, it would be great for Stan Wawrinka to have a big win, after years of being in Fed's shadow.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 6, 2013 04:15

At first glance I thought this thread was about Keith's OPEN TUNING.

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: September 6, 2013 13:53

yea andy murrray lost and lost his cool too,i thought he had grown up,he was like little boy who lost his lolipop

Date: September 6, 2013 14:03

Yeh! Andy lost in straight sets by a better player on the day.
Would love to see Rafa win the title now after his layoff with injury for quite some time. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 6, 2013 14:50

this is Keith watching Mats Wilander playing...

This is Mats:

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 6, 2013 17:24

On DAVID LETTERMAN years back, during a segment called "Brushes with Greatness" where audience members would tell Dave true (but usually incidental) encounters with famous people, one woman told of talking to Keith Richards at a tennis match (paraphrase from memory):

WOMAN: "I saw Keith Richards returning from the snack bar, so I went over and stopped him and asked for his autograph. He said, `Sure. Can you hold my hotdog?' [This got a big laugh from the audience.] So I held his hotdog as he signed my program, and then we went our separate ways."

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 9, 2013 03:19

I had not been paying much attention, but I sure did during the Williams/Azarenka match. Even for this lazy tennis fan, it was exciting to watch these two outstanding women athletes. Congratulations to Serena Williams!

Date: September 9, 2013 03:26

Amazing that Azarenka managed to claw her way back into that second set, too! Great match.

Date: September 9, 2013 04:07

Great match. I'm not an Azarenka fan anymore because she pulled somewhat of a cheat on her opponent in a tournament several months back.

Posted by: John1982 ()
Date: September 9, 2013 04:59

I am having tickets for tomorrow's final. So excited to see Nadal v. Djokovic.
I am hoping for at least 4 sets and Nadal as a winner.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: September 9, 2013 05:01

I was pulling for Azarenka all the way. I will not root for that skank that is Serena Williams a classless piece of excrement.

Date: September 9, 2013 06:13

John 1982, glad you have tickets! Please post your "review" with all details.
I'd be even happier with Nadal in 3 sets...

Date: September 9, 2013 06:54

Me too! So exciting to be there, we definitely want all the details!

Speaking of Keith at the Open, I remember seeing him on TV in the crowd there (in the late 90s or early 2000s maybe?--whenever it was that he was tying things in his hair) and they remarked on it in the commentary booth, and Tracy Austin said that she'd ridden up in an elevator with him and hadn't been able to speak to him because she was absolutely terrified. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-09 06:55 by Aquamarine.

Date: September 9, 2013 16:54

My bet is Rafa but could go to 4 or 5 sets. thumbs up

Date: September 9, 2013 17:12

SLEW...unless you know Serena Williams personally and she has done you wrong, I feel that you're completely out of line in your post. According to Chris Evert, Martina Navratilova and numerous others she is the great woman player of all time.
Yes, she has been temperamental on occasion but such is the nature of competitive sports.

Date: September 9, 2013 19:06

PAULYWAL, loved your comment in The Telegraph!

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: September 9, 2013 20:12

I am not a Serena fan either. I hate cheering against her, being American, but I do! I think that she maybe should be playing on the mens' circuit. She is way too much of a media conscious person, over the top with all the bling...way too showy for my taste. I always loved Billie Jean, Chrissie Evert and the great women players responsible for bringing womens' tennis to where it is today. There's something about Serena that rubs me the wrong way. Venus is much classier, IMO.

Posted by: micwer ()
Date: September 9, 2013 20:34

Yup, going to the Men's Final today. Best place to go in NYC, except for a Stones' concert of course.

Date: September 9, 2013 20:39

I'm hoping to go next year--how difficult is it to get tickets for the finals?

Posted by: John1982 ()
Date: September 9, 2013 21:20

I wasn't actually that difficult. I bought mine last week on stub hub. I don't like those scalpers either, but the ticket was only $ 30 over face value ($ 150).

Now I am off to Flushing.
BTW: That would be a great venue for an outdoor arena sized Stones show.

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: September 9, 2013 22:57

nadal will win in 4 sets i am left player too,only play for club so many good players around,tennis is great game been playing for 45 years and still going strong,any tennis players here?

Date: September 9, 2013 23:25

slew
I was pulling for Azarenka all the way.

I became a fan of hers just recently, while listening to her speak of her love for Motown music. smiling smiley

Why are the finals being played a day later than usual? I googled this, read news articles, etc. and cannot find the answer. Arrghhh.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: September 9, 2013 23:44

latebloomer
I had not been paying much attention, but I sure did during the Williams/Azarenka match. Even for this lazy tennis fan, it was exciting to watch these two outstanding women athletes. Congratulations to Serena Williams!

I turned it on at 4-1 in the second and thought it was almost over. Boy was I wrong! Very entertaining! I only wish I knew why Azarenka insists on making that "Star Wars Laser" sound every time she hits the ball. As much as I was rooting for her to stay in the match, I wanted her to lose simply for being so annoying to listen to. At one point my wife and I took turns to see who could work the TV remote better while trying to only mute out her "peeeeewwww" on every shot.

Hoping I'll get home quickly tonight so I can finish my chores and catchs the end of the men's final. I do like a "major" tournament even if I don't really follow the sport.

Not wanting to hijack the thread (but I don't want to start another "OT"), has anyone caught any of the "America's Cup" sailing finals? HUGE catamarans running 40-50 mph which at points have both entire hulls out of the water for extended periods of time! I've never seen anything like it but would LOVE to get on one of those things for a ride!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: September 9, 2013 23:55

Mr. DJA won't enjoy the song Azarenka's boyfriend, the one with the crazy hair in LMFAO, made for her:

Redfoo even used Azarenka's on-court grunting into his single, "Heart of a Champion."

"I was making some stuff, I needed some new sounds, and I had an idea to put her grunt in there. Her grunt is actually perfectly in the key of F," he said.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 10, 2013 02:47

Heck of a men's finals match going right now!

Date: September 10, 2013 04:15

What a match and what an emotional reaction by Nadal--he deserved the win. smiling smiley

Claire_M
slew
I was pulling for Azarenka all the way.

I became a fan of hers just recently, while listening to her speak of her love for Motown music. smiling smiley

Why are the finals being played a day later than usual? I googled this, read news articles, etc. and cannot find the answer. Arrghhh.

She's dating Berry Gordy's son, which could be a factor there. winking smiley

The Monday finals give the guys a day's rest after Saturday's semis. Also it's been on a Monday the last five years because of rain anyway!

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1854
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home