Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: I'm dubious Dylan influenced the Stones and the Beatles as much as new ROLLING STONE MAGAZINE cover story claims
Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: September 1, 2013 05:24

They all wanted to be Dylan. You have to remember that at the time, the Stones and Beatles were still trying to make that transition from teenybopper fandom and hysteria to becoming real artists.
And to that generation, Dylan was the benchmark...
But it went both ways - Dylan could be flippant and sarcastic, but he wanted some of what they had...he wanted to rock out. But I don't think you can overstate Dylan's influence...

Having said that, do you we need another Dylan Rolling Stones article?
RS keeps regenerating the same old rock heroes: Clapton looks back; Dylan speaks about Joan Baez, Jagger Remembers..
Enough.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-01 05:30 by stupidguy2.

Re: I'm dubious Dylan influenced the Stones and the Beatles as much as new ROLLING STONE MAGAZINE cover story claims
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 1, 2013 06:22

stonesrule
As for LSD being over by the end of 67, it didn't really end until the early 70's when all the boys discovered cocaine.

Are you sure they didn't discover it sooner? Having not been there, I only have books to go on, but according to the Tony Sanchez book and the Marianne Faithfull autobio, cocaine and heroin were making their way into the main London circle of musicians by 1968.

There was one instance where Lennon and Brian were in Lennon's car one night after they had been in a club and Lennon's car wouldn't start, and at one point a London policemen strolls up to the car to see what the problem is, and Lennon is paranoid that he might get busted because he has cocaine on him. And the following year he is recording Cold Turkey about heroin withdrawal.

In Marianne's memoir she tells of how delightful marijuana was for the Swinging London set in the mid-60s, but then the novelty wears off as they build a tolerance, then come the psychedelics, but the novelty wears off on that as well, then by 1968 everyone needed something stronger, and that's when the hard drugs appear.

And of course, it is well known that by the time Keith begins cleaning up from heroin in the late 70s he had already been using regularly since the late 60s.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: September 1, 2013 07:51

Perhaps "discovered" was not quite the word. When I mentioned "all the boys" I didnd't mean just the Stones. I'm thinking of leading UK and American musicians.

Coke and Heroin were bubbling under, one might say, circa 1968, but getting "hooked" was 1970 ish. Those who started experimenting knew they were taking risks physically and re the cops.. They did not believe they were hooked until they, in fact, were.

Nothing glamorous about it. Lot of personal shame and fear attached for some. Keith not so much. He wanted to see what being a mess was like and what he could seemingly tolerate and thus he did. And hurt a lot of people including the Stones in the process.

Date: September 1, 2013 08:43

Thanks for clarifying, stonesrule. I appreciate your insight.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 1, 2013 09:23

Dylan was obviously an influence, I just think the writer overstates it.

Certainly regarding the influence: After seeing the title of Dylan's "Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands" since I was a kid, I never heard the actual song until last month when it came on the radio. And I was laughing in my car because it was so obvious that song was the main influence on George Harrison when he wrote and recorded the Beatles' "Long Long Long." (A much better song.) The sound (in spots) as well as a certain chord sequence. George openly loved Dylan, so no surprise, really.

Some Beatles' comments on Dylan:

CREEM: "It seems like it would be hard to be Bob Dylan or Elvis—being just one guy."

GEORGE HARRISON: "I heard a funny story from somebody who once toured with Bob. He said, `Well, it took four of them, it only took one of me.'"

I have a big problem with Dylan's comment, because it presupposes that Dylan equaled what the Beatles did, which I don't think is remotely true. (Love those Dylan harmonies.)

From The Playboy Interviews with John and Yoko: The Final Testament 1980 (book version) p. 134:

JOHN LENNON: "For a period I was very impressed with him. But I stopped listening to Dylan with both ears after `Highway 64' [sic] and `Blonde on Blonde,' and even then it was because George would sit me down and make me listen."

PLAYBOY: "That was `61'"

LENNON: "I don't know what year it was."

PLAYBOY: "No, `Highway 61.' You took the wrong route." [laughter]

LENNON: "So much for my memory. Anyway, I was never a fan. Of anything. I stopped being a fan when I started doing it myself."

From Rolling Stone Magazine interview with Lennon in 1970:

ROLLING STONE MAGAZINE: "`Working Class Hero' sounds like an early Dylan song."

LENNON: "Anybody that sings with a guitar and sings about something heavy would tend to sound like this. I’m bound to be influenced by those, because that is the only kind of real folk music I really listen to. I never liked the fruity Judy Collins and Baez and all of that stuff. So the only folk music I know is about miners up in Newcastle, or Dylan. In that way I would be influenced, but it doesn’t sound like Dylan to me. Does it sound like Dylan to you?"

ROLLING STONE: "Only in the instrumentation."

LENNON: "That’s the only way to play. I never listen that hard to him."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-01 09:25 by Title5Take1.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: September 1, 2013 09:45

Just catching up on this, and I don't think that writer remotely overstates it.

Something else to remember, too, is that Dylan was beloved by the avant garde and all the cutting-edge arty types--who the Beatles and Stones wanted to be beloved by, too. Especially guys like Lennon--Dylan is written all over his work.

(Sorry, I guess stupidguy2 already made that point. But it's true!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-01 09:48 by Aquamarine.

Date: September 1, 2013 09:47

i heard for years the dylan country stuff right there around 1967/1968 was the reason a lot of bands like the beatles, the stones, the byrds and the grateful dead soon followed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-01 09:47 by keefriffhard4life.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 1, 2013 20:50

24FPS
[
Well, they did. Dylan was already a star when the Fab Four landed in America in their matching suits.

Dylan Billboard chart-placings prior to the arrival of the Beatles in the U.S. suggest he was only semi-popular amongst the American record-buying public. He'd been chalking-up British No.1's since Freewheelin' in May of '63. He was a 'star' in the U.K. by 1964, but certainly not the U.S.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: September 1, 2013 20:59

For those who don't think Dylan had an impact on the Beatles, The Stones and popular music in general, you need to listen a little more closely...

Re: Dylan influenced the Stones ...
Posted by: slewan ()
Date: September 1, 2013 21:33

listen to the electric part of Bob's "live 66" - and you might be able to see how far behind the Stones were in those days. and/or see:

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: September 1, 2013 21:40

BigAl and ChrisM are absolutely right on.

Pennebaker's documentary "Don't Look Back" filmed on Bob's 1968 tour of England is a classic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-01 21:53 by stonesrule.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: September 1, 2013 21:54

but not nearly as much as Ramblin Jack influenced him.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 1, 2013 22:11

Big Al
24FPS
[
Well, they did. Dylan was already a star when the Fab Four landed in America in their matching suits.

Dylan Billboard chart-placings prior to the arrival of the Beatles in the U.S. suggest he was only semi-popular amongst the American record-buying public. He'd been chalking-up British No.1's since Freewheelin' in May of '63. He was a 'star' in the U.K. by 1964, but certainly not the U.S.

Okay, we can split hairs. Dylan was already a star folk singer. Peter Paul & Mary had a hit recording of 'Blowin' In The Wind' in 1963. He was a star in England, where the Beatles and Stones probably took notice of him. Dylan probably didn't break through on American radio himself until 'Like A Rolling Stone' in 1965, followed up by 'Rainy Day Women 12 & 35' in 1966. And although the man himself was a bit of a mystery to mainstream audiences, his songs were everywhere in the hands of other artists.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: September 2, 2013 00:00

Working Class Hero sounds like a traditional British folk song, Nottamum Town, which influenced Dylan's Masters of War. Fairport Convention also did Nottamum Town on What We Did On Our Holidays album.

Date: September 2, 2013 01:34

Dylan and Baez played at the March on Washington, 1963.

Remember there was a difference in public interest between folk Dylan and electric Dylan, too. The night I first saw him, the first half was acoustic and when he came out with the Band (then still the Hawks) for the second electric half, some people booed. And it's amazing to think that so many of those songs that are now part of my musical DNA (Bringing It All Back Home, basically) were totally new to us. But it was Like a Rolling Stone, longest single ever played on the radio, that made Dylan's name to a mainstream audience--but musicians were well aware of him long before that.

Date: September 2, 2013 02:07

24FPS
Big Al
24FPS
[

Okay, we can split hairs. Dylan was already a star folk singer. Peter Paul & Mary had a hit recording of 'Blowin' In The Wind' in 1963. He was a star in England, where the Beatles and Stones probably took notice of him. Dylan probably didn't break through on American radio himself until 'Like A Rolling Stone' in 1965, followed up by 'Rainy Day Women 12 & 35' in 1966. And although the man himself was a bit of a mystery to mainstream audiences, his songs were everywhere in the hands of other artists.

A "star" folk singer doesn't mean much in popular terms, since it regards mainly the "coffee house" circuit. So why didn't Bob himself have a hit with Blowin'?--probably because he didn't have commercial appeal. It took The Byrds to make his songs truly accessible in the "pop" sense. His early albums did alright, but just alright, on the U.S. Billboard top 200:

Bob Dylan - didn't chart (#13 UK)

Freewheelin' - #22 (#1 UK)

The Times They Are A-Changin' - #20 (#4 UK)

Another Side... - #43 (#8 UK)

Bringing It All Back Home, released in 1965, was his first U.S. top 10 album (#6; #1 UK), and he didn't have a #1 album until Planet Waves in 1974, by which time he'd already had six number 1 albums in the UK.

His first U.S. chart single was 1964's Subterranean Homesick Blues (#39), but which made the top ten in the UK (#9) and which was his second top 10 UK single.

I think it's clear that the UK record-buying public fully embraced Bob Dylan long before his native U.S., and had The Byrds, The Beatles, and The Stones not encouraged him to "go electric" in 1965 Dylan might have been relegated to mere footnote status in the U.S. popular consciousness.

Date: September 2, 2013 02:46

Dylan didn't go electric because anybody else encouraged him to.

Date: September 2, 2013 02:56

Aquamarine

Perhaps "encouraged" was the wrong word. I didn't mean to imply that they were going "Hey Bob, you should do it like this", but just that he found the idea of rock bands appealing, and he seems to have been touring in that format ever since. So let's just say that he was inspired by what the above-mentioned bands of the time were doing just as much as those artists were inspired by him.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 2, 2013 02:59

stonehearted
Aquamarine

Perhaps "encouraged" was the wrong word. I didn't mean to imply that they were going "Hey Bob, you should do it like this", but just that he found the idea of rock bands appealing, and he seems to have been touring in that format ever since. So let's just say that he was inspired by what the above-mentioned bands of the time were doing just as much as those artists were inspired by him.

Dylan was already playing rock n roll long before he decided to wanted to be another Woody Guthrie. Even as late as 1962 he released a full-blooded rock n roll single, which pre-dated 'Freewheelin' (and any of the above mentioned bands records)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-02 03:04 by Gazza.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: September 2, 2013 03:04

Dylan talked about going electric in Scorsese's 'No Direction Home':

"I thought I'd get more power with a small group backing me. It was electric but that doesn't necessarily mean it's modernised just because it's electric. Country music was electric too.

"A lot of my songs were becoming hits for other people. The Byrds had a big hit, some group called The Turtles had some hit. I didn't really like that sound. Folk rock, whatever that was. I felt it didn't have anything to do with me."

[www.mirror.co.uk]

Date: September 2, 2013 03:15

Gazza
stonehearted
Aquamarine

Dylan was already playing rock n roll long before he decided to wanted to be another Woody Guthrie. Even as late as 1962 he released a full-blooded rock n roll single, which pre-dated 'Freewheelin' (and any of the above mentioned bands records)

Of course he was, he's from that generation. And like the Don McLean song American Pie says, "....in a look he borrowed from James Dean".

It's the point I've been trying to make--Dylan liked rock n roll. He found the idea of being in a rock band appealing.

But like the man from Decca told the manager of The Beatles in the early 60s, "Guitar groups are on the way out".

It took the British Invasion to revive the form. The Beatles influenced The Byrds, and there you go. Pete Seeger never turned to rock, nor did Joan baez. But Bob Dylan did. And the timing of this move suggests that he may have been encouraged--or rather, inspired--to do so by the British Invasion bands injecting a revitalized and innovative slant to the music he loved. Therein he saw a fresh opportunity for his music and songwriting.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 2, 2013 03:16

Woody Guthrie and Charlie Chaplin ... Mr Zimmerman borrowed so much from them two

ROCKMAN

Date: September 2, 2013 03:18

bye bye johnny
Dylan talked about going electric in Scorsese's 'No Direction Home':

"I thought I'd get more power with a small group backing me. It was electric but that doesn't necessarily mean it's modernised just because it's electric. Country music was electric too.

"A lot of my songs were becoming hits for other people. The Byrds had a big hit, some group called The Turtles had some hit. I didn't really like that sound. Folk rock, whatever that was. I felt it didn't have anything to do with me."

[www.mirror.co.uk]

Yes, country music was electric too--but no country music from that time had a Mike Bloomfield in it. Bloomfield is a rock and blues guitarist who played on the Paul Butterfield Blues Band album East-West the following year. Then he hooked up with The Band. He also did some country-styled music, but only later on.

Date: September 2, 2013 04:15

Rockman
Woody Guthrie and Charlie Chaplin ... Mr Zimmerman borrowed so much from them two

On stage today, he's a ringer for Chaplin.

Date: September 2, 2013 04:30

...check out his walk ..hunch ..jacket in the sixties ...
And heck one of his albums was the same name as a Chaplin movie .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: September 2, 2013 04:45

24FPS
Dylan was more influenced musically by the Stones, but they were in turn influenced by his songwriting.

That's why I love "Infidels" so much, it was a perfect storm. He was writing great songs, singing well and was going for an unabashedly Stones sound. He could have done it without Mick Taylor, but his being there is a sure plus. Union Sundown, Neighborhood Bully and Man of Peace are exhibits A, B and C.

Date: September 2, 2013 09:22

Rockman

...check out his walk ..hunch ..jacket in the sixties ...
And heck one of his albums was the same name as a Chaplin movie .....

Oh yeah, I agree, just saying that it's even clearer today.

Date: September 2, 2013 09:26

it's even clearer today......yeah I get ya....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: September 2, 2013 21:07

FrankM
The Beatles and Stones fawned over Dylan? Ridiculous. The Beatles were the phenomenon that took the world by storm and The Stones weren't far behind as far as popularity. Musically they all influenced each other to some degree.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: September 2, 2013 21:17

Well then. From the horse's mouth straight to thine ears...

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1646
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home