Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Ronnie Wood mentoring up-and-coming group One Direction
Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: April 9, 2012 06:54

An observation: Ronnie has always been great at being out and about and latching on when he smells success.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 9, 2012 11:02

24FPS
It's not the end of the world. Saw the group perform on Saturday Night Live last night. Pretty damn good, complex vocals delivered live. Are they really that different from the early Beatles? Or Herman's Hermits? It's still show business and some of these older rockers might see how they were in their earlier pop days, before rock got serious.

Well, as far as I know they don't write songs (yet?). If they're part of the Simon Cowell empire (makes sign against Evil) they are probably destined for a short career and a merry one. What they do once Mr. Cowell has moved on to next year's model will show whether there is serious music or lasting talent there. There were plenty of Cowell-model managers about in the 60s too: the Stones were very lucky indeed to be found by Andrew Oldham.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 9, 2012 11:23

Green Lady
24FPS
It's not the end of the world. Saw the group perform on Saturday Night Live last night. Pretty damn good, complex vocals delivered live. Are they really that different from the early Beatles? Or Herman's Hermits? It's still show business and some of these older rockers might see how they were in their earlier pop days, before rock got serious.

Well, as far as I know they don't write songs (yet?). If they're part of the Simon Cowell empire (makes sign against Evil) they are probably destined for a short career and a merry one. What they do once Mr. Cowell has moved on to next year's model will show whether there is serious music or lasting talent there. There were plenty of Cowell-model managers about in the 60s too: the Stones were very lucky indeed to be found by Andrew Oldham.

After you've seen this dog and pony show enough times you look at the boy band and try to figure out which one might stand out and have a solo career, ala Justin Timberlake. The kind of Jaggerish guy with the hair down in his face looks like a possibility. To be honest it was kind of refreshing to hear some teen age pop that took young love way too seriously.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 9, 2012 11:54

24FPS
Green Lady
24FPS

After you've seen this dog and pony show enough times you look at the boy band and try to figure out which one might stand out and have a solo career, ala Justin Timberlake. The kind of Jaggerish guy with the hair down in his face looks like a possibility. To be honest it was kind of refreshing to hear some teen age pop that took young love way too seriously.

Nothing wrong with teenage pop. It just isn't meant for us, so it's hardly surprising that most of us grumpy old men (and women) on iorr don't like it. We aren't supposed to. Interesting, isn't it, that nowadays teenage idols shock the older generation by looking appallingly clean, tidy and wholesome?

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: April 24, 2012 02:38

If you watched Ronnie's TV interview with Kelly Ripa, he hyped One Direction again.

But in AC, he inexplicably changed sides in the 1D/Bieber war. Welcome
to the right side, Ronnie!

Posted by: Amica ()
Date: April 29, 2012 22:08

Here is another Rolling Stones "connection":

One Direction Star Harry looks like Mick Jagger

smiling smiley

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: August 31, 2013 18:55

In Issue #1191 Rolling Stone Magazine:

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 31, 2013 19:02

Green Lady is right. There certainly isn't anything wrong teenage pop. When I was a schoolboy, girls in my class would decorate their books with posters of Take That and East 17. It's he same now with One Direction. However, whereas I now have some Take That on my iPod - nostalgia, I guess - I really don' think I would be listening to One Direction in the future. I do actually believe their music is quite awful.

Now, I was 9 when this was released. I didn't like it in 1992, but now I rather enjoy it!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 31, 2013 19:05

Why does Woody feel the urge to take a supercommercial boyband under his wings? What's the point with that? I'm sure there are a lot of real talents out there having problems finding their audience who would love the support of someone like Woody. Why not support them instead? These boys are already millionaires in pounds. I guess maybe even richer than Woody (taken in consideration the way Woody usually deals with money...).

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: August 31, 2013 19:08

Oh nooooo...i hate one direction

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 31, 2013 19:47

steffiestones

Me neither. I had the misfortune to catch them on America's Got Talent - the wife likes the program, not me, obviously! - I was actually quite surprised at how bad they were. Like I have said before. I have no problem with pop music for the kiddies and teenagers alike, but it could at least be good.

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: August 31, 2013 19:55

Big Al
steffiestones

Me neither. I had the misfortune to catch them on America's Got Talent - the wife likes the program, not me, obviously! - I was actually quite surprised at how bad they were. Like I have said before. I have no problem with pop music for the kiddies and teenagers alike, but it could at least be good.

Right answer!!

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: August 31, 2013 20:13

superrevvy
Ronnie Wood: I've taken One Direction under my wing

(One Direction are currently No 1 on the US Billboard 200)

He's old enough to be their granddad, but Rolling Stones guitarist Ronnie
Wood has become an unlikely friend to One Direction.

The 64-year-old rocker says he's mentoring the boys and reckons they could
become bigger than The Stones and The Beatles.

'I've taken them under my wing,' Ronnie tells the Daily Mirror.

'I'm so pleased for them getting that No 1 in America.'

Ronnie first met Zayn Malik, 19, Louis Tomlinson, 20, plus Harry Styles, Liam
Payne and Niall Horan, all 18, at a men's magazine bash last year.

He told the 1D lads that he'd love to play guitar with them.

'Great night at GQ dinner! met Ronnie Wood, he said we gotta jam on stage
sometime.i was like what the !! what an absolute legend /hero!' Tweeted Niall.

Harry added: 'Just shared a brief embrace with Ronnie Wood. He smelt like 29
Studio albums, 10 live albums and rich mahogany.'

1D's biggest hit so far (i think) "what makes you beautiful" for all the
IORR women and some of the men, whether they understand or not

They will be gone in about 2 years. Spice Girls anyone?

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2062
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home