Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: I Was There: When the Beatles Played the Cavern (2011 UK documentary film)
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 19, 2013 02:30

Originally shown on the UK's ITV channel in February 2011, the release date of I Was There: When the Beatles Played the Cavern (February 9) coincided with the 50th anniversary of the first time The Beatles played there. The documentary can be viewed in full from the clip below.

Brian Epstein at The Cavern Club in 1963, with The Beatles onstage in the background.

August 3, 2013 marked the 50th anniversary of the last time The Beatles played there (their 292nd appearance). This year also marks the 40th anniversary since the original Cavern Club was demolished to make way for an underground railway ventilation duct (the club was forced to close in February 1966 due to bankruptcy, but was refurbished and reopened under new ownership in July 1966; the original Cavern Club closed its doors for the last time at 6 a.m. on Friday, May 28, 1973).

Cavern Club entrance in 1963.

In 1984 a replica of The Cavern Club was built on 75% of the original site, and it is said that The New Cavern Club was built with 15,000 of the bricks from the original club site.

The New Cavern Club, Matthew Street, Liverpool, UK, August 12, 2008.

The New Cavern Club stage, 2010.

A sculpture of John Lennon was unveiled outside The New Cavern Club on January 16, 1997.

Photo by George Groutas, May 16, 2008.

Full film details at: [www.imdb.com]

Director: John Piper

Executive Producer: Mark Robinson

Producer: John Piper

Cast (in alphabetical order)
Pete Best ... Himself
Billy Butler ... Himself
Bernadette Byrne ... Herself
Frankie Connor ... Himself

Elvis Costello ... Himself (archive footage)
Tony Crane ... Himself
Paddy Delaney ... Himself

Ken Dodd ... Himself
Brian Epstein ... Himself (archive footage)
Len Garry ... Himself
Dave Gore ... Himself
Mike Gregory ... Himself
Carol Haigh ... Herself
Colin Hanton ... Himself

George Harrison ... Himself (archive footage)
David Henshaw ... Himself
Freda Kelly ... Herself
Billy Kinsley ... Himself

John Lennon ... Himself (archive footage)
Beryl Marsden ... Herself
Gerry Marsden ... Himself

Brian May ... Himself

Paul McCartney ... Himself (archive footage)
Alex McKechnie ... Himself
Geoff Nugent ... Himself
Mike Pender ... Himself
Pat Peters ... Herself
Margaret Roberts ... Herself
Willy Russell ... Himself
Tony Sheridan ... Himself (archive footage)

Ringo Starr ... Himself (archive footage)
Stuart Sutcliffe ... Himself (archive footage)
Alistair Taylor ... Himself
Gene Vincent ... Himself (archive footage)
Harold Wilson ... Himself (archive footage)
Bob Wooler ... Himself

A full history on the club's four incarnations can be found at the Cavern Blog: [www.cavernblog.com]

Re: OT: I Was There: When the Beatles Played the Cavern (2011 UK documentary film)
Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: August 19, 2013 03:41

The Statue is outside The Cavern pub on the opposite side of the road from the Cavern.

Re: OT: I Was There: When the Beatles Played the Cavern (2011 UK documentary film)
Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: August 19, 2013 09:30

I wasn't there when the Beatles played the Cavern--I'm not that old--but I did go to college in Liverpool, and go back periodically. And I went to the new Cavern once, but I have to say that just having the same bricks doesn't cut it for me.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 19, 2013 09:32

Thanks. I can't believe I just watched the whole thing. How the hell did they get unfettered access to any damn Beatles recording they wanted? There wasn't even a credit at the end for music clearance.

Date: August 19, 2013 09:53

The Kinks also played the original Cavern Club, and footage exists of a 1964 performance.

As Ray Davies revealed to the Liverpool Echo in 2010, he developed a special fondness for Liverpool and enjoyed the audience reaction whenever The Kinks played in Liverpool, saying that Liverpool audiences always gave The Kinks the best reception. Davies also stated that Liverpool is his favorite city.

In fact, Davies wrote a song dedicated to the Merseybeat scene called Liverpool Sunset. But when The Beatles released Penny Lane in 1967, he changed the words and location references so that it wouldn't seem like a rip-off. The revised title he chose was Waterloo Sunset....

Story at: [www.liverpoolecho.co.uk]

The Kinks at The Cavern Club on February 21, 1964, performing their debut single Long Tall Sally, as shown in a Kinks DVD of "lost" footage called All Aboard.

DVD details at: [www.maximumsound.org]

Date: August 19, 2013 10:26

At the end of every August, The New Cavern Club presents the "International Beatle Week Festival" with a full week of ticketed events.

Beatle Week 2013 events:

Wednesday 21st August 8:00pm Weekend Warm-Up at The Cavern £4
Thursday 22nd August 8:00pm Beatles vs. Stones at The Cavern Live Lounge SOLD OUT
Friday 23rd August 1:00pm Beatles Roots at Alma De Cuba £15
Friday 23rd August 7:30pm The Cavern Club Beatles Show at The Philharmonic Hall £20
Friday 23rd August 11:30pm Late Night With Lennon at The Adelphi Hotel £15
Saturday 24th August 7:30pm My Sweet George at The Philharmonic Hall £20
Saturday 24th August 11:30pm Party For Paul at The Adelphi Hotel £15
Sunday 25th August 10:00am Annual Beatles Convention at The Adelphi Hotel £15
Sunday 25th August Midnight All-Nighter at The Adelphi Hotel £15
Monday 26th August 2:00pm An Afternoon of Absolute Frolics with Neil Innes & Friends
£20
Monday 26th August 7:30pm Cavern Legacy Show with The Overtures at The Philharmonic Hall £20
Monday 26th August 11:30pm Apple Finale Concert at The Adelphi Hotel £15
Tuesday 27th August 7:30pm Joe Brown Live at The Cavern Live Lounge (Show 2) SOLD OUT

Further details at: [www.cavernclub.org]

Date: August 19, 2013 19:24

I'd love to go to Liverpool and do a Beatles tour. It would seem cheesy though to stand in a faux Cavern and listen to a mock Beatles band. I remember being in the Reeperbahn. I got a little lost and ended up in this little enclosed area of new shops and there was this little marker saying this is where the Star Club was. It was sad.

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: August 19, 2013 21:50

This is a Stones site. beetels are boring

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: August 19, 2013 21:56

michaelsavage

And so are you, mickscarey.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: August 19, 2013 22:01

Huh?

Date: August 19, 2013 22:19

grinning smiley

Date: August 19, 2013 23:15

michaelsavage

Actually, the histories of the Beatles and Stones are intertwined. Lennon and McCartney wrote their first big hit. Brian Jones showed up at a couple of Beatles sessions. Mick and Keith attended at the filming party for the promo video of A Day In The Life. Mick was among those present for the satellite broadcast/studio recording session of All You Need Is Love. Lennon and McCartney included backing vocals to a couple of Stones tracks. Lennon and Jagger used to hang out. Macca and Keef have hung out recently, and were also said to have written a song together on this occasion--I mean, it's a done deal, if ya know what I mean.

But thanks for giving this thread a few extra bumps to the top of the page. It would have been buried at the bottom of page 2 by now otherwise. Appreciate it!

Say, mickscarey--er, um, I mean, michaelsalvage--ever see the movie Trollhunter? This guy reminds me of you.

And here's a close-up of you....

And thanks again!--for being you.

Date: August 20, 2013 00:01

Just because I have the same dislike for the beatels? Huh.

And where can I get that movie?

Date: August 20, 2013 00:12

Did the Stones ever play the Cavern? I think it's relevant in the larger sense because Alexis Korner's enterprises were the bedrock of London rock and roll. The Cavern served the same job for the Northerners. It's all about English rock and roll.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: August 20, 2013 00:14

" If 'The Cavern' would have been in America, they would have built a shrine" says one of the interviewee; I don't think so pal. Look what happened to the CBGB and the Bottom line in NYC; gone.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Date: August 20, 2013 00:21

24FPS
Did the Stones ever play the Cavern? I think it's relevant in the larger sense because Alexis Korner's enterprises were the bedrock of London rock and roll. The Cavern served the same job for the Northerners. It's all about English rock and roll.

There is no mention of The Stones ever having played the Cavern.

I believe that when they became big enough to move that far afield from their London home base, started appearing on television and having big hits and the like, they seem to have left the club scene behind entirely.

After a point The Beatles were no longer able to play such a small venue either. In fact fans at the Cavern, as shown in the Anthology documentary, cried when Please Please me became number 1--not because they were happy, but because they were sad in that they felt The Beatles would no longer belong to them and, alas, their final Cavern gig was just a few months later.

Date: August 20, 2013 00:26

michaelsavage

OK, just for being such a good sport....

Official movie site: [www.trollhunterfilm.com]

Amazon link: [www.amazon.com]

Date: August 20, 2013 00:33

stonehearted
24FPS

The Stones played the Cavern on November 5 1963.

Date: August 20, 2013 00:35

stonehearted
michaelsavage

That must be you in the film, playing the troll? yes?

Thank you

Date: August 20, 2013 00:40

michaelsavage
stonehearted
michaelsavage

Thank you

What a shining wit, as the good reverend might have said.

Date: August 20, 2013 01:06

Deltics
stonehearted
24FPS

The Stones played the Cavern on November 5 1963.

They did? Wow! That's great to know. But apparently ALO didn't think to film it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-20 01:18 by stonehearted.

Date: August 20, 2013 01:11

michaelsavage

Thank you

For someone who claims to dislike The Beatles as you do, you're sure spending a lot of time in a Beatles-related thread.... or perhaps you just enjoy wasting your time.

And you're welcome, enjoy the film.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: August 20, 2013 01:28

Date: August 20, 2013 01:44

It appears The Yardbirds and The Who also played The Cavern Club at one point, which is mentioned in an article about when The Cavern Club sued The Hard Rock Cafe in 2005 over the latter's use of the name of the former for an events room in a Las Vegas Hard Rock location.

Details at: [www.cavernclub.org]

Apparently it was ruled that the Hard Rock was allowed to use the name because the Cavern Club does not own the trademark in the United States, despite trademark ownership in Britain, (most of) Europe, and Canada, to name a few.

As of 2011, The Cavern Club was trying to get this decision overturned, as reported in a story by United Press International:

LAS VEGAS, Nov. 28 (UPI) -- The Cavern Club in England is seeking to overturn a ruling that allowed Hard Rock Cafe International to use the club's name, court papers say.

A lawsuit filed in federal court in Las Vegas seeks to overturn the Sept. 29 decision by the U.S. Trademark Trial and Appeal Board that gave Hard Rock International rights to the name "Cavern Club" in the United States.

Full story at: [www.upi.com]

Date: August 20, 2013 02:10

FRIDAY 25 OCTOBER 1968
Paul McCartney made an unannounced afternoon visit to the Cavern Club with his new girlfriend Linda Eastman. Alf Geoghegan rushed out to buy a camera and Linda took several photographs of the visit.

The band Curiosity Shop were rehersing and Paul decided to join them by helping out on the drums.

Before getting on stage with the band Paul got behind the piano in the lounge and treated everyone to a solo performance of Hey Jude.

Paul McCartney at The Cavern Club in 1968, sitting in on drums with the band Curiosity Shop.

Taken from: [www.cavernclub.org]

Date: August 20, 2013 11:54

Shot in 1994, this clip provides a visual tour of The New Cavern Club, oddly to the soundtrack of a Stones song as the camera pans across every square inch of the club including the ceiling, as Heart Of Stone kicks in at 0:24.

Date: August 23, 2013 11:42

The last Beatle to appear and perform at the original Cavern Club was also the first and only ex-Beatle to appear and perform at the New Cavern Club on December 14, 1999 with a band that included Dave Gilmour, Mick Green (Johnny Kidd & the Pirates, Billy J. Kramer with The Dakotas), and Ian Paice.

Posted by: richie26188 ()
Date: August 23, 2013 12:28

I work in the office next door to the caverns original entrance upstairs. On that photo of Mathew Street you can see a grey post on the right hand side, that’s the entrance (Next to a shop called cricket).

I'll have a look on my dinner later on at the wall of fame and see what other big names are there.

If you are in Liverpool of course visit the Cavern, do the magical mystery tour but if you get the chance hop in a taxi to the Casbah. Now that is a real hidden gem, Pete Best still plays there regularly and its ran by a family member of his

Date: August 23, 2013 18:58

stonehearted
michaelsavage

Thank you

For someone who claims to dislike The Beatles as you do, you're sure spending a lot of time in a Beatles-related thread.... or perhaps you just enjoy wasting your time.

this is a Stones site. THAT is why I am here. Thank you

Date: August 23, 2013 19:07

michaelsavage
stonehearted
michaelsavage

Thank you

this is a Stones site. THAT is why I am here. Thank you

This is indeed a Stones site, that is why this thread is marked OT i.e. Off Topic.
Or did you miss that?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1912
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home