Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Bravado Stones shop : rewriting history ?
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 10, 2013 22:18

with sssoul
I think Bill's asked to have his image removed from current merchandise.

I think Bill's asked to be compensated for use of his image, which is a completely different matter.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: August 10, 2013 22:21

Rollin92
jazzbass
Rollin92
24FPS
I don't even think the Stones with Wyman as the same band. Bill got out at just the right moment. Remember when Keith was asked the best thing about Wyman, "Timing".

I agree, Darryl is fking fantastic bassist but so is Wyman, in a very different way, the more Wyman bass lines I learn the more you realise that timing is everything with Bill, just look at SMU. I bought his signature bass 2 months ago, lovely, versatile instrument, even my mate who's a staunch Fender user has asked to use it at an upcoming gig.

That's awesome! Would you mind sharing a pick of the bass?

I'm not sure how to upload pictures but here's a cover of 'I Wanna Get a Gun' from Monkey Grip which I recently did on the Wyman bass;

Sweet, I've seen ads for the Bass on Bass Centers web page. I haven't seen it available for sale in the US though. Can you tell me what country the bass is made in? Doesn't say on the web site. How do you like the overall construction, quality and finish and most of all sound? If I can find one in the US for under a grand, I may hafta get me one.

PS, love your authentic Wyman thumb style.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-10 22:23 by jazzbass.

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: August 10, 2013 22:42

jazzbass
Rollin92
jazzbass
Rollin92
24FPS
I don't even think the Stones with Wyman as the same band. Bill got out at just the right moment. Remember when Keith was asked the best thing about Wyman, "Timing".

I agree, Darryl is fking fantastic bassist but so is Wyman, in a very different way, the more Wyman bass lines I learn the more you realise that timing is everything with Bill, just look at SMU. I bought his signature bass 2 months ago, lovely, versatile instrument, even my mate who's a staunch Fender user has asked to use it at an upcoming gig.

That's awesome! Would you mind sharing a pick of the bass?

I'm not sure how to upload pictures but here's a cover of 'I Wanna Get a Gun' from Monkey Grip which I recently did on the Wyman bass;

Sweet, I've seen ads for the Bass on Bass Centers web page. I haven't seen it available for sale in the US though. Can you tell me what country the bass is made in? Doesn't say on the web site. How do you like the overall construction, quality and finish and most of all sound? If I can find one in the US for under a grand, I may hafta get me one.

PS, love your authentic Wyman thumb style.

Thanks very much, I've only been playing for about a year but from the off I've tried to incorporate Bill's style into my playing.

The Bass Centre ship worldwide so it may save you money rather than buying it in the US, I'm fortunate that I only live a 2 hr drive away from the Bass Centre, which is more of a workshop than a shop. The Bass is made in Japan (I do believe) but it is set up properly by Barry at the Centre according to individual specifications, Barry previously did some tech work for John Entwistle.

Tbh I can't fault the construction and quality, it's a solid (but light) well made instrument with a lovely low action, you can move around it very fast. It was a 21st birthday present to myself and I much prefer it to my Hofner due to lower action and smaller size (I can't play full scale basses, I find them too big to manage). With the finish as well it really is a quality bass.

The sound is where it comes into its own though, I've gigged with it on my 35w amp in a small acoustic set and it has held its own. The neck pickup (altho not exceptionally loud) gives it a vintage, warm sound but the bridge pickup allows for louder and heavier playing. The sound of the neck pickup especially fits in nicely when playing along to Stones records or Blues.

I urge you to buy one, you will not be disappointed. It's biggest endorsement is that my mate has asked to gig with it (especially towards the end of a set due to its small size and he is a staunch Fender man. Hope this has helped.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 10, 2013 23:44

treaclefingers
with sssoul
I think Bill's asked to have his image removed from current merchandise.

I think Bill's asked to be compensated for use of his image, which is a completely different matter.

Now that makes a good deal more sense. But this must be very recent, because even at the two Hyde Park shows you could still get two T-shirts with Wyman's likeness appearing--one from a mid-60s group shot (dark blue) and another from Steel Wheels (mustard yellow).

They're hard to make out in this Hyde Park photo, but they're side by side: the mid-60s group photo is in the top right corner of the panel at the far left, and the mustard yellow Steel Wheels photo is in the top left corner of the next panel.

So it appears that anyone who purchased a T-shirt with a Bill Wyman image now owns a collector's item.

Edit: Here is a clearer photo of the two T-shirts mentioned above. The Steel Wheels photo, the yellow shirt where Charlie is blocked out by Mick, can be seen in the top row second from left. The mid-60s band photo in dark blue is in the second row third from right. These were still available at the second Hyde Park show on July 13. So with the recent turn of events in merchandising, these will probably no longer be available--unless they appear with "edited" images.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-10 23:56 by stonehearted.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: August 11, 2013 00:13

Bill Perks has been airbrushed out. Awesome.

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: August 11, 2013 07:05

R
I ordered a NYC 50th show shirt last November, a week before I saw the Brooklyn show. It arrived.... TWO WEEKS AGO!

just in time! winking smiley

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 11, 2013 10:55

stonehearted
But this must be very recent, because even at the two Hyde Park shows ...

It's not very recent; it dates back to at least 2005.

Posted by: Torres ()
Date: August 11, 2013 11:10

BILL PERKS WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO SAY?

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: August 11, 2013 14:27

After doing some reading about Bill W following this thread I must admit my appreciation for him is somewhat reduced... I used to think high oh him with his "I personally had enough of the none creating touring only RS so I quit but I wish them all good I'm just heading my own way. Bye Bye" attitude. "Didnt want to play Jumpin Jack Flash for the rest of my life" he said. And thats more then acceptable.

But now after reading his complaining after the O2 concerts (to which I was not previously aware) and his bitter petty ,allegedly, approach towards his legacy with the stones as portraid in their memorabilia etc., he seems to more of the those type of people who urge you not to buy them presents/invite them for parties, but when after a few years of ignoring their requests you finally do so, they get insulted... we all know that type from real life. That's exactly what Bill seem to have been doing... Hope I'm wrong and the story behind the photoshop thing is different...

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: August 12, 2013 00:25

crholmstrom
Black Sabbath is doing that with Bill Ward too. Sad.

That was at Bill Ward's request. Agree the Sabbath dysfunction is sad, especially in light of their massive new album. It is vaguely possible that Bill Wyman refused to grant permission for his likeness to be used. He can be airbrushed from post-ABKCO artwork, but messing with ABKCO-era intellectual property probably involves too many lawyers.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 12, 2013 00:42

DeanGoodman
It is vaguely possible that Bill Wyman refused to grant permission for his likeness to be used. He can be airbrushed from post-ABKCO artwork, but messing with ABKCO-era intellectual property probably involves too many lawyers.

Wouldn't the Hyde Park photo fall into that category?

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: August 12, 2013 01:00

Sloppy wording on my part. By ABKCO-era intellectual property, I was thinking of the Out of Our Heads/19th Nervous Breakdown artwork. The Hyde Park photo presumably they just license direct from the photographer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-12 01:03 by DeanGoodman.

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: August 12, 2013 20:23

DeanGoodman
Sloppy wording on my part. By ABKCO-era intellectual property, I was thinking of the Out of Our Heads/19th Nervous Breakdown artwork. The Hyde Park photo presumably they just license direct from the photographer.

There's a shirt shown with the Sticky Fingers promo shot featuring Wyman right in the middle. As usual, it's impossible to figure out the logic -- if any -- behind how the band chooses to present itself to the public. But as long as I'm typing, my guess is that removing Wyman from a couple of photos doesn't actually "mean" anything, and is purely a little tit-for-tat from Jagger.

Posted by: daytime ()
Date: August 12, 2013 20:54

Since were on the subject of shirts, last year I went to a head shop, there were lots of Stones shirts. I got one in red with all the band on it including Bill Wyman, a neat shirt think I will take a walk down there next week again and see what they have. The quality was not too thick but thicker than the ones the band is offering on this outing. Maybe next year the tour will have thicker ones if enough people here complain.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-12 20:56 by daytime.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1919
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home