Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: Jeff Beck To Tour With Brian Wilson, Al Jardine, and David Marks
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 1, 2013 13:04

RollingFreak
That does sound cool. The problem is if you don't like or don't care that much about Jeff Beck (which is the case with me), you don't really care about half the show. I'd like to see Jeff Beck playing the Beach Boys stuff, or playing the stuff of his that I know. But his whole set, minus the Beach Boys songs, would really bore me. If I wanted to see that, I'd see Jeff Beck solo which I assume he does frequently.
The set lists are looking pretty good. I saw Jeff 2 years ago & the version he does of "Little Wing" is worth price of admission by itself. I've seen him several times & it is always different. Have never been disappointed. I'm really looking forward to this.

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: October 1, 2013 16:30

I saw the Brian 'n Jeff show in Hollywood (FL) Friday night. I really love Jeff's jazz fusion stuff, but he didn't play much of that - for fear of alienating the Beach Boys audience one assumes. His instrumental of "Surf's Up" was one of the highlights of the evening for me - chillbump city. He stuck to songs people will know: "A Day in the Life," "Rollin' and Tumblin'" even "Danny Boy" fer heaven's sake.

Though Jeff Beck and Brian Wilson seems like an odd combination at first, Jeff has always had some surf/Hawaiian/cosmic influences to his playing so really it does make sense that they've joined forces.

Jeff has an amazing electric violinist in his band, who can also sing - Lizzie Ball is her name is I believe. She and two singers from Brian's band did a cover of Les Paul & Mary Ford's "How High the Moon" that was wonderful. I hope this show comes out on DVD, or even YouTube!, I'd love to hear that again.

Did you guys know that Blondie Chaplin was there? He did a very well received "Sail On Sailor" w/ Brian's band, then came on at the finale for an endearingly shambolic "Barbara Ann."

review here: [blogs.browardpalmbeach.com]

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-01 17:53 by Claire_M.

Date: October 2, 2013 12:32

Blondie is doing 5 (now 4) dates. The new Beck band looks interesting. Rhonda Smith played with him the last time I saw him. Amazing bass player. Luckily Blondie is playing the show I'm going to (Las Vegas, front row!). Glad you enjoyed the show.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: October 7, 2013 09:56

I saw the show in Bethlehem, PA tonight. No Blondie, but Brian Wilson's set include what he said was the first time his band had done 'Til I Die (it's on Live at the Roxy, however). The highlight of the entire evening was the joint Smile medley: Our Prayer/Child Is the Father of the Man/Surf's Up. Stunning stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-07 10:00 by ab.

Date: October 7, 2013 13:38

I've been watching the setlists. Wish Brian would do "Love & Mercy". I love that song. I'm just glad to see him out playing though after the wreck at the end of the Beach Boys tour.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: October 8, 2013 18:04

I'm headed to the Boston show tomorrow (Wed. 10/9) which IS happening at the Citi Wang. For my money, Jeff Beck is the best guitarist - ever. End of discussion. Never understood some of the negativity toward him when he played with the Stones in London. Oh well - whatever. Will post some comments after the show - really looking forward to it. Row A Orchestra.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: October 8, 2013 18:38

Til I Die partial video

It's probably the first time Al Jardine and David Marks ever did it.

I saw the show in DC Saturday night. Very strong show, with the highlights being the material Beck played with the Wilson/Jardine folks. Surf's Up was sublime, and Jeff played a particularly strong A Day in the Life.

I love Brian Wilson and his band, and just like Beck's music, but I have to admit that, for the most part, Wilson's music felt a bit more museum-like, while Jeff's music felt more alive. (I really missed Tal Wilkenfeld, Jeff's former bass player.)

Al Jardine was really on, though, nailing his leads.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-09 16:26 by bam.

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: October 8, 2013 20:53

ab
I saw the show in Bethlehem, PA tonight. No Blondie, but Brian Wilson's set include what he said was the first time his band had done 'Til I Die (it's on Live at the Roxy, however). The highlight of the entire evening was the joint Smile medley: Our Prayer/Child Is the Father of the Man/Surf's Up. Stunning stuff.
There's an excellent recording of the Bethlehem show up on Trader's Den...we saw the show last Thursday in St. Augustine...was a little leery of the pairing but it worked out great!

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: October 8, 2013 21:38

Quite a few clips on youtube.
Just picked a few out. winking smiley

Date: October 9, 2013 12:58

10 days to go until the Las Vegas show. I'm pretty excited. Front row ticket & all. Jeff Beck changed my life musically @ age 15 in the Kingdome opening for Aerosmith with Jan Hammer. I've been lucky to see him a lot in different situations. I really love a lot of Brian's stuff too. I'd rather see him in this situation than with Mike Love. I've never been big on Mike Love. Bonus: I'm going to one of the shows with Blondie Chaplin. Have always thought "Sail on Sailor" was a great song. & really hope I get "Til I Die". What a great underrated classic.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: October 10, 2013 21:18

Saw the show in Boston last night (Oct. 9). Excellent show! First set Brian Wilson (w. Blondie Chaplin for a couple songs - I don't think he was scheduled for Boston, but he was there and he was quite good). I'm not especially a Beach Boys fan, but to hear these timeless classics with Wilson's superb 12 piece band - good stuff. Then Jeff - whom I will again say is IMHO simply the greatest guitar player ever - just an excellent set that again left me laughing at how incredible he is. Followed by a half hour or so of the two bands combined. Really really great - if you're thinking of going to one of the remaining 12 or so US shows, by all means GO. It was tremendous.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: October 10, 2013 23:49

I agree with you there DEmerson about Jeff Beck. There are great guitarists around but Jeff is in a league of his own.
Would love it if they bring the Beach Boys and Jeff Beck bands together over here in the U.K.
I'm a fan of the Beach Boys since the '60's as well.
Would love to see them at RAH in London,as 3rd Row Arena when he was last there about 2 or 3 years ago,and such a memorable gig.
Always has great musicians with him but Tal on bass would be a bonus. winking smiley

Date: October 11, 2013 02:02

crawdaddy
I agree with you there DEmerson about Jeff Beck. There are great guitarists around but Jeff is in a league of his own.
Would love it if they bring the Beach Boys and Jeff Beck bands together over here in the U.K.
I'm a fan of the Beach Boys since the '60's as well.
Would love to see them at RAH in London,as 3rd Row Arena when he was last there about 2 or 3 years ago,and such a memorable gig.
Always has great musicians with him but Tal on bass would be a bonus. winking smiley
The current bass player, Rhonda Smith, is amazing too. She used to play with Prince. Last show I saw they covered Sly Stone & Lady Gaga! & Little Wing was fantastic. Looking forward to seeing the new band next week. Brian Wilson has been throwing out a few ringers too. (Til I Die, Wild Honey!). Should be a great show.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: October 11, 2013 02:14

crholmstrom
10 days to go until the Las Vegas show. I'm pretty excited. Front row ticket & all. Jeff Beck changed my life musically @ age 15 in the Kingdome opening for Aerosmith with Jan Hammer. I've been lucky to see him a lot in different situations. I really love a lot of Brian's stuff too. I'd rather see him in this situation than with Mike Love. I've never been big on Mike Love. Bonus: I'm going to one of the shows with Blondie Chaplin. Have always thought "Sail on Sailor" was a great song. & really hope I get "Til I Die". What a great underrated classic.

I'd offer you a cookie...but I just ate my last one.

Date: October 11, 2013 02:21

shadooby
crholmstrom

I'd offer you a cookie...but I just ate my last one.
Hopefully it was a "special" one.grinning smiley

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: October 11, 2013 03:40

Just scored a front row ticket for the Tower in Philly. SaaaaWEEEEET!

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: October 11, 2013 03:54

Wilson and Beck will be on Fallon tonight for those of us in the States.

Date: October 11, 2013 04:56

jazzbass
Feels like winning the lottery, doesn'tit? That's what happened to me for the LV show.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: October 11, 2013 06:10

crholmstrom
jazzbass
Feels like winning the lottery, doesn'tit? That's what happened to me for the LV show.

thumbs up

Date: October 11, 2013 12:05

Jeff & Brian were pretty good on Fallon. Who'd of thunk that "Danny Boy" could rock? Brian looked happy. That's a good thing. Beck looks pretty much the same as 1975. I think some of that "British Black" shoe polish could be involved in the hair color. Haha. More power to him.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 16, 2013 03:38

Just got my tickets for this Sunday night at the Greek Theater in Los Angeles. It's a hometown gig for Brian, Al, and David Marks. Should be a great night.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: October 16, 2013 03:41

24FPS
Just got my tickets for this Sunday night at the Greek Theater in Los Angeles. It's a hometown gig for Brian, Al, and David Marks. Should be a great night.

and according to the poster I saw at the Greek last week, former BB Blondie Chaplin will be there as well!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 16, 2013 04:53

Oh gawd, after viewing the clip of Surfin' U.S.A., one wonders if the local Old Folks Home should be put on alert, as two of their 'musical' residents are missing! Beck appears relatively sprightly in comparison.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 16, 2013 12:11

So did they just play Pet Sounds in its entirety out of the blue tonight in New York? If they were doing that in LA I would definitely be tempted to see them. Seen Brian Wilson do Smile that way and that band can knock it out of the park.

FYI, I'm just reading what's currently up on Setlist.fm. I know thats sometimes not correct so maybe I'm totally off here. As of now it just seems they pulled that out for the only time of the tour so far.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-16 12:18 by RollingFreak.

Date: October 16, 2013 12:31

RollingFreak
So did they just play Pet Sounds in its entirety out of the blue tonight in New York? If they were doing that in LA I would definitely be tempted to see them. Seen Brian Wilson do Smile that way and that band can knock it out of the park.

FYI, I'm just reading what's currently up on Setlist.fm. I know thats sometimes not correct so maybe I'm totally off here. As of now it just seems they pulled that out for the only time of the tour so far.
I definitely wouldn't mind seeing that in Vegas Friday night!

Date: October 22, 2013 00:23

Saw them at the Greek in LA last night. Incredible. The second best concert of this summer, after Willie Nelson with a 22-piece orchestra a the Hollywood Bowl. It's really too bad the Stones don't operate this way. Brian could play three slow numbers from Pet Sounds and then just as he was losing the crowd he could pull out a Sloop John B or any of their classics and get the crowd back again with ease. The Stones could do the same, play something obscure to most and then the cowbell to Honky Tonk Women would get the average fan back on their feet.

The highlight was this Beach Boys vocal with Jeff Beck guitar turn on Surf's Up.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-22 00:24 by 24FPS.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: October 22, 2013 02:46

Where's the Las Vegas review?

Just to note, I love Jeff Beck too, and also wouldn't mind at all hearing Blondie singing his lead on Sail on, Sailor, among other tunes reported!

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 22, 2013 03:21

I could kill myself that they played Pet Sounds in its entirety. They didn't play it all week even though I thought "they could just be saving it for California". Then I thought was stupid and assumed they were only doing it in New York so I didn't spend the money. I knew LA was the other big place they would do that! I am so upset I flaked. Oh well, looks like it was another great show. Opening with California Girls was a nice touch.

Again though, I'm so upset I was within 10 minutes from the venue and missed this. I was prepared all week!

Date: October 22, 2013 04:16

RollingFreak
I could kill myself that they played Pet Sounds in its entirety. They didn't play it all week even though I thought "they could just be saving it for California". Then I thought was stupid and assumed they were only doing it in New York so I didn't spend the money. I knew LA was the other big place they would do that! I am so upset I flaked. Oh well, looks like it was another great show. Opening with California Girls was a nice touch.

Again though, I'm so upset I was within 10 minutes from the venue and missed this. I was prepared all week!

Yes, for the first time I really heard Pet Sounds in a way that showed me why it was an influence on the Beatles for Sgt. Pepper. I think a little of it was difficult for the audience, but Brian gave them enough candy to appease them.

It was a really good concert season this summer. I rank who I saw in this order:
1. Willie Nelson at Hollywood Bowl with Orchestra (Lyle Lovett opened)
2. Jeff Beck & Brian Wilson at the Greek
3. Pink Martini at the Hollywood Bowl
4. Steel Pulse at the Orange County Fair
5. The Rolling Stones at Staples Center

Posted by: bluesno1fann ()
Date: October 22, 2013 12:12

If Brian Wilson, Al Jardine, David Marks, Blondie Chaplin and Jeff Beck come to Australia, I would get tickets straight away, I wouldn't even think about it.
The Beach Boys are one of my two favourite bands of all time, alongside the Rolling Stones! I even saw the boys at their Melbourne concert during the 50th anniversary tour.
Jeff Beck is all-right I guess, not a huge fan of him. But I still wouldn't mind seeing him!

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1296
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home