Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: OT: The so called bubble gum era
Posted by: Havo ()
Date: August 8, 2013 22:26

Geordie? Sure the singer was b. johnson (later Ac/Dc.. rembember "Looky Looky"?

from Giorgio maroder?? thats was "bubble gum music!"

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: August 8, 2013 22:59

Didn't think I'd be posting in this thread until I saw the Ohio Express & Yummy Yummy Yummy meantioned and a lightbulb went on in my mind...

Last week I started rehearsing with a band that a friend from college has recently started... Turns out the lead guitarst spent over a decade touring as a member of the Ohio Express. He admits that it's not the type of thing that he's ever going to brag about but it did allow him to make a decent living playing guitar. Note: the new band WILL NOT be playing Yummy, Yummy, Yummy but there are 3 or 4 Stones tunes on the set list.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: August 8, 2013 23:11

Havo
Geordie? Sure the singer was b. johnson (later Ac/Dc.. rembember "Looky Looky"?

from Giorgio maroder?? thats was "bubble gum music!"

I don't think there's any connection between Giorgio Moroder and Geordie, but it's definitely Brian Johnson.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: August 9, 2013 02:21

When I Think of Bubble gum music I think of Tony Burrows.

He sang lead on these one hit wonders, I am pretty sure most of these bands did not exist they were recorded by session musicians. Then released as singles and given a band name by the Record label.

Baby loves Lovin (White Plains)

Love Grows where my Rosemary Goes( Edison Lighthouse)

United We Stand ( Brotherhood of Man)

Beach Baby ( First Class)

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: August 9, 2013 05:39

What fun. The good old daze....spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: August 9, 2013 08:10

His Majesty

Love it! grinning smiley
smileys with beer

owlbynite
Oh yeah.... blowing bubbles, LOVE IT.

Date: August 9, 2013 09:26

More Hot Rocks
The Ultimate Bubble Gum Song

thumbs up Now we're talkin' bubblegum. and folks like Lou Christie, Tommy James & The Shondells, Oliver, Jay & The Americans & Motown, Motown, Motown! smileys with beer

Date: August 9, 2013 09:29

Max'sKansasCity
His Majesty

Love it! grinning smiley
smileys with beer

owlbynite

snap, snap! we liked bazooka bubblegum the best. used to get kicked out of class for popping it! cool smiley

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: August 9, 2013 09:30

You were doing fine till you got to Motown . . Smokey Robinson bubblegum?? Wilson Pickett? (I can remember when nearly all the Stones were saying In the Midnight Hour was their favorite new song.) Stevie Wonder? No no no!

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 9, 2013 09:34

Nearly everything played on Radio nowadays is Bubble-Gum to me....

2 1 2 0

Date: August 9, 2013 10:03

Aquamarine
You were doing fine till you got to Motown . . Smokey Robinson bubblegum?? Wilson Pickett? (I can remember when nearly all the Stones were saying In the Midnight Hour was their favorite new song.) Stevie Wonder? No no no!

not all the Motown crew were bubblegum but a goodly amount (and then not all their hits were bubblegum, that's too broad of a generalization). But Smokey Robinson & Stevie Wonder did have some bubble gum hits, Diana Ross & Supremes, Martha & The Vandellas, Gladys Knight & The Pips, Dionne Warwick, Ronnie Spector, Archie Bell & The Drells, Little Anthony & The Imperials, Box Tops, some Temptations, Aretha Franklin.
Can't forget Frankie Vali & Four Seasons, (non-Motown) now that's gum snappin' tunes at their best! smileys with beer

Date: August 9, 2013 10:13

No, I honestly think that's a re-definition of bubblegum! Aretha Franklin???

Date: August 9, 2013 10:21

Aquamarine
No, I honestly think that's a re-definition of bubblegum! Aretha Franklin???

You mean you didn't get up off that thang & dance your bobbysox off to tunes like Chain of Fools & Respect while you chawed that gum like a cow? Got us to shakin'! That's bubblegum music! Sure, not ALL her music was bubblegum but she had her share. smiling bouncing smiley

Date: August 9, 2013 10:28

No, that isn't bubblegum--like I said, you're redefining it! The Archies are bubblegum, Aretha--fercrissakes--isn't anything even close. Bubblegum doesn't just mean dance music or something. D'oh!!

Btw--bobbysox? You're about a decade out, there, mate!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-09 10:40 by Aquamarine.

Date: August 9, 2013 18:52

cuz it came with a comic!

and some music to chew to the beat... and pop at the 12th bar... or something

Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: August 9, 2013 19:11

Motown?? The Box Tops???? Archie Bell & the Drells???? Whoa! Not even close to bubblegum.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 9, 2013 19:37

Aquamarine

Wilson Pickett--NOT bubblegum...and NOT Motown either.

He recorded soul music for Atlantic Records.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 9, 2013 19:43

virgil
When I Think of Bubble gum music I think of Tony Burrows.

I would have picked Ron Dante, who as a vocalist had a hit with the Archies ("Sugar Sugar" ) and the Cuff Links ("Tracy" ) that were both on the charts AT THE SAME TIME!

Posted by: tommyquinn ()
Date: August 9, 2013 19:59

Everyone used to put down bubblegum, but whenever Dizzy or Yummy Yummy or Love Grows or Chewy Chewy comes on, it is almost impossible not to tap your foot and sing along, unless you are even more jaded than I am.
I went from thinking bubblegum was kid's music to tolerating it to loving it. Now I am in a Bubblegum Tribute Band called Sticky Business (we play in the Boston area). You would be surprised at the audiences we draw....some people from the coolest bands I know will come up to us afterwards and say stuff like "I have always been embarrassed to admit I like this music, but it's great!" We throw in the Sweet, T. Rex, the Archies, Brady Bunch (remember when Peter was going through puberty and his voice cracked?) Tommy Roe, Partridge Family, Ohio Express, and many of the one hit wonders.
So come on, the Stones are cool and bubblegum definitely is NOT, but deep down inside, don't you want to get up and dance when "Little Willy" or "Goody Goody Gumdrops" is played? What is NOT to like?
OK I will shut up now, I have probably embarrassed myself and lost any credibility I may have had.

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: August 9, 2013 20:06

The Monkees---bubble gum---no
Easybeats-----bubble gum-----no
Sweet---------Bubble gum----no

Tis era was 1968-1970

Date: August 9, 2013 20:36

another good one, takes me back...

Date: August 9, 2013 20:40

tommyquinn
Everyone used to put down bubblegum, but whenever Dizzy or Yummy Yummy or Love Grows or Chewy Chewy comes on, it is almost impossible not to tap your foot and sing along, unless you are even more jaded than I am.
I went from thinking bubblegum was kid's music to tolerating it to loving it. Now I am in a Bubblegum Tribute Band called Sticky Business (we play in the Boston area). You would be surprised at the audiences we draw....some people from the coolest bands I know will come up to us afterwards and say stuff like "I have always been embarrassed to admit I like this music, but it's great!" We throw in the Sweet, T. Rex, the Archies, Brady Bunch (remember when Peter was going through puberty and his voice cracked?) Tommy Roe, Partridge Family, Ohio Express, and many of the one hit wonders.
So come on, the Stones are cool and bubblegum definitely is NOT, but deep down inside, don't you want to get up and dance when "Little Willy" or "Goody Goody Gumdrops" is played? What is NOT to like?
OK I will shut up now, I have probably embarrassed myself and lost any credibility I may have had.

Right on bro, that sounds like a lot of fun...
and I bet you get no shortage of ladies coming up and... oh yeah.

Posted by: UnionHall ()
Date: August 9, 2013 23:36

At one time, Ohio Express was my favorite band! The very first single I ever bought was Yummy Yummy Yummy. Also bought Chewy Chewy, Down at Lulu's, and Mercy. Good fun music, nothing heavy in the lyrics and you didn't have to think and interpret the content, just had to enjoy it!

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: August 9, 2013 23:38

Max'sKansasCity

so did Michael Jackson

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: August 9, 2013 23:42

geeez; people just don't know what Bubble Gum music is.

Posted by: UnionHall ()
Date: August 9, 2013 23:51

When I think of bubble gum music the names that come to mind are Ohio Express, 1910 Fruitgum Company, Andy Kim, the Archies, the Lemon Pipers, and Crazy Elephant. Interestingly enough, Ohio Express toured with and opened for the Beach Boys and the Who.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: August 9, 2013 23:57

Max'sKansasCity
tommyquinn

Right on bro, that sounds like a lot of fun...
and I bet you get no shortage of ladies coming up and... oh yeah.

Admitting that you're booking gigs, playing music that your audience loves and enjoying yourself will never loose you credibility in my book. However, the guys who are sitting in their basements trying mimic the exact tone of their heroes 1976 outtake for their latest youtube video upload may take issue with you.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: August 10, 2013 00:07

Ooh, well played, Mr. DJA. Love the bubblegum myself. Used to cover 1,2,3 Red Light. How about this one, is it bubblegum? Cue the debate:

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: August 10, 2013 00:15

The Troggs bubblegummed with "Hip Hip Hooray"

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: August 10, 2013 00:20

RockinJive
geeez; people just don't know what Bubble Gum music is.

Agreed.

It was music that was contrived mostly by producers and released as singles only. It's target audience was pre-teen and young teens. The theory was they could not afford to buy albums. Most were recorded by session players the bands did not really exist. The main era was 67-72.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1346
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home