Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Favourite live version of Midnight Rambler?
Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: July 31, 2013 10:20

There are two different versions of that song, the bluesy ones and the rock versions.

Great bluesy versions:
Hyde Park 1969
New York 1969 (GYYO)
(perhaps) Marquee 1971
Leeds 1971 - a stereo version would probably show this one in full glory

Rock versions:
Brussels 1973, the greatest ever rock version - but then, there are some versions on that tour that come close (Newcastle, if it was in stereo, and Birmingham)
... add your own, but on later tours IMO it's too much piano-driven.

The longest version which you find on a vinyl bootleg CHARLIE WATTS AND HIS ROLLING STONES (and surely on many CDs) was recorded at one of the LA concerts in 1975 and clocks in at 14:12 minutes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-31 13:12 by saltoftheearth.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: July 31, 2013 10:32

Brussels 73
GYYYO
Atlantic City 89
Olympia 95
Hyde Park 2

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: July 31, 2013 12:01

The one I heard from the security barrier right in front of the stage at Hyde Park on 13th July 2013 sounded pretty bloody awesome to me ......... I say that from the perspective of recollection as opposed to having heard it since c/o the iTunes download, because I haven't downloaded that gig. Waiting for the DVD, far more entertaining.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: July 31, 2013 12:14

paulywaul
The one I heard from the security barrier right in front of the stage at Hyde Park on 13th July 2013 sounded pretty bloody awesome to me ......... I say that from the perspective of recollection as opposed to having heard it since c/o the iTunes download, because I haven't downloaded that gig. Waiting for the DVD, far more entertaining.

Isn't the one on the album from the 6th?

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 31, 2013 13:11

Munichhilton
Mathijs
nightskyman
Though likely very touched up by Mick and Keith, you really can't beat the 'Get Yer Ya Yas Out' version.

It's completely original and untouched.

Mathijs

Here we go again...you're telling me that the tuba and the trombone were actually there that day at MSG and not overdubbed at a later date? Really? C'mon

Of course they where there. Played by Ian Stewart, simultaneously.

Mathijs

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 31, 2013 13:29

The most enjoyable version is the Brussells '73 from the bootlegs, which I consider the greatest live song and performance captured by anyone, anywhere. The official version lost some of its original dynamism, especially by mixing the guitar storm down. Even the better bass didn't compansate the loss. There are some other almost as good versions from 1972/73 tours, and the one in LA '75 is simply phenomenal as well, but the Brussels one is definitive. It - or rock and roll altogether - cannot sound any better.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-31 13:32 by Doxa.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: July 31, 2013 13:38

It will always be Ya-Ya's version probably. After that the L&G version.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: July 31, 2013 13:39

Doxa
The most enjoyable version is the Brussells '73 from the bootlegs, which I consider the greatest live song and performance captured by anyone, anywhere. The official version lost some of its original dynamism, especially by mixing the guitar storm down. Even the better bass didn't compansate the loss. There are some other almost as good versions from 1972/73 tours, and the one in LA '75 is simply phenomenal as well, but the Brussels one is definitive. It - or rock and roll altogether - cannot sound any better.

- Doxa

thumbs up +1

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 31, 2013 13:51

1 get yer ya ya's out . 2 stones in las vegas with taylor 5/11/13 .3 shea stadium oct 1989.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-31 18:15 by TheGreek.

Date: July 31, 2013 13:58

I don't quite buy that blues vs. rock versions distinction of this song. Yeah, during 1972/73 they speeded up certain parts of the song, but at the same time they put more weight to the so called "slow part", and thereby made it longer. And during that part they have never sounded bluesier as they do then.

What especially gives me chills is the moment when Keith starts to hit those power blues chords in Brussells '73 during the break, and Taylor and the rest follow him. And it lasts and lasts. Damn what a groove! I think that is the definitive moment in that version and I never heard anything comparable. White boy can no play blues better than that!

All in all, why I consider the 1972/73 versions better than the earlier ones is that by then they have discovered all the possible potentia the song has, and like serving that in perfect setting. All the ups and downs, highs and lows, each feature so strongly emphasized. The blues opera in full glory. Even the last verse is rushed, orgasm-like in almost punk-like speed, giving us a glimpse of music which didn't exist by then.

This is not to say that the earlier, especially YA-YA's one, weren't phenomenal. Yes, they were, but nowadays I tend to think them more like works in progress, and a bit boring, compared to the full glory masterpiece of Brussels' 73.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-31 14:02 by Doxa.

Date: July 31, 2013 14:21

Rushed and coke-fueled might be better descriptions than that they found the right recipee - after working on developinging the song from 1969, imo.

However, make no mistake, the middle section of some of the 72/73 (not all, by all means!) are some of the best the Stones have done ever.

I like Midnight Rambler much more when Mick Jagger sings it, instead of burping and shouting it - but that's me smiling smiley

The interplay between the two lead guitars in the middle section from Brussels is breathtakingly good.

Date: July 31, 2013 14:49

Hmm.. that "rushed and coke fueled" is odd vocabulary to me - to me that is an artistic choice, and I'm with Jagger who was thrilled in that 1972 interview of his (in Rockman's thread) for going out to "play new songs" and "different versions of the old ones".

For me the 1972/73 versions simply have more gears in it - both bigger and smaller ones - compared to the earlier ones. The result is actually to my ears more similar to the effect of the original studio version, which with its haunting sounds, builds up a helluva drama of its simple components. Even the 1969 version is wonderful, I don't think it manages to give all respect to the drama and tension the song has. But in 1972/73 when they added more theatrical elements and more musical difference, with dramatically varying tempos, I think they painted a better musical representation of this dangerous song.

I think this pretty much applies to Jagger's vocals as well. The original studio version is one of his best vocal performances ever, and I think he couldn't transform all that threat and anger to his early live performances. he tried to sing it "straight" but at least to me some of the spark is missing, and he sounds - especially in YA-YA'S - a bit school boy like, a bit like of balls missing. But during 1972/73 he just screamed it through or hided his voice under all those new tricks he had discovered by then, and I think those fit very well to the scheme of the song. Yes, tricks, like that screaming down-register vocal through the early verses in BRUSSELS '73, but I love the effect in that very context. Also during the "break" or "slow" parts he screams his lungs out like he never has done. He really put himself on the edge, not saving anything at all. Once in a life time performances.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-31 14:50 by Doxa.

Date: July 31, 2013 15:11

It may be both, Doxa: both the drugs and the artistic choice.

However, for me it sounds strange that shouting out the lyrics and doubling up the tempo are a well-thought through choice to improve musically.

Let me add: in many ways they DID succeed with improving MR, but as you point out yourself, that was mainly when they slowed it down, and caught that raw blues sound.

Let there be no doubt, Mick is pretty coked up when he starts MR from Brussels smiling smiley

If this indeed was an artistic choice, Mick developed it even further when he became a caricature of himself in 1975, barking out the lyrics instead of merely burping and shouting grinning smiley

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: July 31, 2013 15:24

about a week or so ago someone posted a Japanese broadcast from the 2005 tour that was a smoldering version of Midnight Rambler

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: July 31, 2013 15:28

This is my ultimate favorite version.

This version can only be topped in that lineup.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 31, 2013 15:29

Doxa
What especially gives me chills is the moment when Keith starts to hit those power blues chords in Brussells '73 during the break, and Taylor and the rest follow him. And it lasts and lasts. Damn what a groove! I think that is the definitive moment in that version and I never heard anything comparable. White boy can no play blues better than that!

- Doxa

That strikes a big chord with me ;^)

I haven't heard half the versions folks have been talking about but my favourite bits of any live Rambler are the introductory blues "noodling" and slow middle bit.

You'll never hear more spine tingling guitar playing than that.
The tension of waiting for how Keith will time the next chop, curl or pull off is pure theatre.

From the recent well received renditions with MT, I've also enjoyed the little bits of call & response between MT and MJ's harp.

Date: July 31, 2013 15:30

rattler2004
about a week or so ago someone posted a Japanese broadcast from the 2005 tour that was a smoldering version of Midnight Rambler

Saitama 2006, I presume? That IS a very good version!

Date: July 31, 2013 15:34

Coked or not, what does it matter if the results are transcendental, as with Brussells "Rambler"? There are no doping tests...smoking smiley

Anyway, I think is underestimating Jagger and his intellect if one thinks that the stage persona and interpretor he developed through the 70's, can be explained solely by the use of drugs. The caricature he made himself in 1975, both in stage person and a singer, like the Rotten of 1978, or the stadium caricature jogger of 1981, were pretty much his artistic choices, and how to present himself in a new circumstances (which, at the time, were still rapidly changing). But of course, this doesn't mean that he didn't a bit doped himself to get the feeling for a show.... Sometimes more... grinning smiley

But this thread was about "Rambler"...

- Doxa

Date: July 31, 2013 15:43

Never under-estimate Mick Jagger, I agree!

However, I'm 100% certain he didn't have a hand in controlling, let alone an artistic plan for how the tempo on MR would be in 1972/73 - but maybe his "twin" had it? grinning smiley

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: July 31, 2013 15:47

Stuttgart 1999

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: July 31, 2013 17:55

ChrisM
The Ya-Yas version gets my vote. The bit of feedback you hear as the band launches into the middle section sounds like a harbinger of meanace and the interplay between Keith and Mick T at this point is extraordinary. I've heard it more times than I have had hot dinners and I still get goosebumps. Woof!

I totally agree! It still gives me goosebumps and it still pumps me up with inspiration. It's a masterpiece!

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 31, 2013 18:21

Hyde Park 1969 and Ya-Ya's version.

smiling smiley

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: July 31, 2013 18:26

His Majesty
Hyde Park 1969 and Ya-Ya's version.

smiling smiley

eye popping smiley

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: July 31, 2013 18:35

YaYa's gets my vote with the 72 stuff close behind. The MR Grail would be video of this song from the 1969 tour. The Maysles must have this in the can, and I believe it will surface someday soon while Abkco can sell it to us ageing old codgers.

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: August 1, 2013 02:07

Doxa
I don't quite buy that blues vs. rock versions distinction of this song. Yeah, during 1972/73 they speeded up certain parts of the song, but at the same time they put more weight to the so called "slow part", and thereby made it longer. And during that part they have never sounded bluesier as they do then.

All in all, why I consider the 1972/73 versions better than the earlier ones is that by then they have discovered all the possible potentia the song has, and like serving that in perfect setting. All the ups and downs, highs and lows, each feature so strongly emphasized. The blues opera in full glory. Even the last verse is rushed, orgasm-like in almost punk-like speed, giving us a glimpse of music which didn't exist by then.

This is not to say that the earlier, especially YA-YA's one, weren't phenomenal. Yes, they were, but nowadays I tend to think them more like works in progress, and a bit boring, compared to the full glory masterpiece of Brussels' 73.

- Doxa

The YA-YA 's Rambler sounds like a band that's aware of the fact they are being recorded. They play it "cruise control" and strive for perfection, trying to make a live performance sound like a studio recording. This results in a scary good one take job, although to me it requires a good headphone to get the full effect and experience the subtle approach and interplay between the guitars that are burried there, Taylor's in particular.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: August 1, 2013 03:09

Rambler has always been a great live highlight - maybe apart from 75/76 when they often overdid it.
I especially loved the YaYa's Rambler from start to end incl. Charlies bum hit.
For some time I favoured the 73 Brüssel version as well when it came out.

Meanwhile after so many M.Ramblers from 2012/13, some days ago I just came back to that 69 MSG rendition when surfin through YouT.
And really - to me its still the ultimate Ramber!There is all you need in that great version. Raw, bluesy and to the point. Fantastic!

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 1, 2013 03:23

CousinC
For some time I favoured the 73 Brüssel version as well when it came out.

Röck döts!!! smoking smiley

Posted by: slew ()
Date: August 1, 2013 03:32

I have to go wit Brussels to me that is a masterpiece! The bootleg version is tops!

Posted by: Vocalion ()
Date: August 1, 2013 04:49

Sloppy Leeds is not the best, but should be mentioned anyway.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: August 1, 2013 07:27

The first time I heard MR from GYYYO it blew my mind! I didn't know a song could take you to places like that. The guitars seem to soar and carry you away. The blues licks are like bullets. The screaming of the girls in the audience during the Boston Strangler part is shocking.

So that and Brussels!!! Baby and it hurts!

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2455
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home