Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Personnel
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 22, 2013 11:55

Anyone knows some place (or places) with correct info about line-ups
thnak you

[www.nzentgraf.de]

I've lost track of who said what, but:
Nico Zentgraf's brilliant site is indispensable, but it's not set up as a reference for who played what on which tracks.
That's why I suggested Ian McPherson's brilliant site -
[www.timeisonourside.com] - which does have that information in the "track talk" section of the database.
My observation that it does contain some errors wasn't meant to discourage people from using it as a reference -
far from it! All the sites have errors, often copied from one another, but McPherson's site hasn't got many,
and the ones that are there seem to be the owner's own original mistakes, not copied blindly from another site.

Re: Keith on Bass
Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: July 22, 2013 20:07

keith is a better bass player than bill wyman???-

at this point when i come to iorr i think to myself"i wonder what the retards are saying today"-lately it has gotten a bit sad though.

Posted by: Georges ()
Date: July 23, 2013 00:01

Anyway, Bill is THE bass player of the Rolling Stones.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 23, 2013 00:38

Georges

It's weird how Darryl plays. He almost seems to go out of his way not to play Bill's lines. Why? If you had a replacement Keith Richards he'd have to play the way Keith played it. If Darryl is not going to put his own stamp on the Stone's music, which he hasn't in almost 20 years of trying, then why not just play the song the way it was originally intended? Bill's lines are as important to many of the warhorses as Keith's are. It's totally disrespectful and mystifying.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 23, 2013 01:18

24FPS
Georges

It's weird how Darryl plays. He almost seems to go out of his way not to play Bill's lines. Why? If you had a replacement Keith Richards he'd have to play the way Keith played it. If Darryl is not going to put his own stamp on the Stone's music, which he hasn't in almost 20 years of trying, then why not just play the song the way it was originally intended? Bill's lines are as important to many of the warhorses as Keith's are. It's totally disrespectful and mystifying.

I'll agree insofar as, yes, Bill was the bass player for The Stones, but I would contend that Darryl should not be required to replicate Bill's bass lines, because Bill played with creativity and feel, and as a result his live interpretations of many of the band's greatest hits would often vary in concert. A musician cannot replicate the intuitive feel of another musician.

It's not the same Stones mobile that took to the road in 1963. There have been a few modifications along the way: One of the pistons over the crankshaft had to be replaced in 1969, and then again in 1974, then the alternator had to be replaced in 1994, but overall, the engine still runs pretty smoothly, with the original timing belt still rolling reliably to hold everything from the alternator to the camshaft together, and for such a vintage antique model, the modified Stones mobile still gets pretty good mileage and can still cruise at good speed on the highway.

Besides, Darryl putting his own "stamp" on Stones music would be overstepping a bit his role as a hired hand--though he does get some breathing room in such moments as live treatments of Miss You and Emotional Rescue as well as the studio track Rain Fell Down.

You've also got to like Darryl for the fact that, like Wyman, he is low key, not flashy--unlike that other guy who was in line for the throne. Who was it, someone from the Chili Peppers? I recall that either Mick or Keith had some rock star type in mind, but instead it was left to Charlie to choose.

Also, Keith seems to like Darryl, as he frequently goes up to Darryl to jam off him.

But I must ask you. You are always saying how much you like Bill over Darryl. But now we know that Bill is never coming back, ever. It's Darryl's gig, for as long as he wants it. So you don't like Darryl, fair enough. But can you name one bass player besides Darryl who would have been a better choice to step into the bass playing role in The Stones? Could you have made a choice more appropriate than the one Charlie made?

Posted by: fender99 ()
Date: July 23, 2013 01:38

Bill lays real bottom. Keith plays like lead lines. Crazy Mama though is a great one. That is a locked in groove on that. I love that album. It's a great sounding disc. After listening to the Hyde Park thing and reading some of the threads about the songs I'm really hoping they put a cherry on top with a several night stand @ MSG.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 23, 2013 01:58

lem motlow
keith is a better bass player than bill wyman???-

No, but Keith could lay down some good and distinctive basslines. smiling smiley

Nothing retarded about that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-23 02:13 by His Majesty.

Date: July 23, 2013 03:38

24FPS
Georges

I don't think DJ could ever play like Bill. he is way too cerebral. I have heard passages where IMO it sounds as if he is trying to do it Bill-style. As tours went on; when NS tour came around DJ was playing differently than early on. But he will not play like Bill. He would have to dumb himself down too much.
Not that any musician should ever have to play like an other. I think DJ is a very fine musician. I just prefer Bill as the Stones' bassist.

Date: July 23, 2013 04:06

Palace Revolution 2000
24FPS
Georges

I don't think DJ could ever play like Bill. he is way too cerebral. I have heard passages where IMO it sounds as if he is trying to do it Bill-style. As tours went on; when NS tour came around DJ was playing differently than early on. But he will not play like Bill. He would have to dumb himself down too much.
Not that any musician should ever have to play like an other. I think DJ is a very fine musician. I just prefer Bill as the Stones' bassist.

Really? So Darryl's problem is that he's too good, too talented, to play in the 'Stones Style'. I think Mick Taylor believed that at one point. Can Darryl 'dumb himself down' enough to have some feeling when he plays? To express some emotion that heightens the overall sense of the song? Anything else is noodling around. And you can do it in complicated time signatures and it adds up to nothing if you don't make another human being feel something other than apathy.

I thought Bill's playing was very complex. No, he's not Jaco Pastorius, but I don't listen to Jaco Pastorious. The bass player on Under My Thumb is no plodder. That mother swings.

Date: July 23, 2013 04:12

stonehearted
24FPS
Georges

But I must ask you. You are always saying how much you like Bill over Darryl. But now we know that Bill is never coming back, ever. It's Darryl's gig, for as long as he wants it. So you don't like Darryl, fair enough. But can you name one bass player besides Darryl who would have been a better choice to step into the bass playing role in The Stones? Could you have made a choice more appropriate than the one Charlie made?

Was Donald 'Duck' Dunn available? I don't know what Charlie heard. I find it hard to believe he's qualified to select a Rolling Stones bass player when he himself was taken by surprise to learn how good Bill was when he went over some of the old parts with Darryl. I'm not sure anybody in the whole freakin' Stones understood how good Bill was. Yet he seemed to show up on 90% of every major recording they did. To this day the only specific compliment, if it one was, from Keith on Bill's playing was 'timing'.

Date: July 23, 2013 04:16

24FPS
stonehearted
Could you have made a choice more appropriate than the one Charlie made?

Was Donald 'Duck' Dunn available?

I believe his asking price was too high--ever since he was in the Blues Brothers movie, you understand.

Date: July 23, 2013 04:38

keith probly played bass on days when wyman was busy running after groupies

i've always like keiths bass on silver train, sympathy and soul survivor

keith is a good player, but sorry,not as good as wyman; case in point - keiths bass on the studio 'jjf' is good, but nowhere near as good as wyman's live versions in '69 (IMO)

ditto for live with me

but could keith swing like wyman did, earlier on, on 'you can't catch me' or 'down the road apiece?'

kieth hung on to the root note longer, which was decent, but you only have to listen to 'miss you' to appreciate how good wyman was

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: July 23, 2013 04:50

Darryl lays it down the way he does live because they need that. It's not the seventies anymore where the band and Charlie followed Keith. That push and pull that Wyman was so frat in navigating is gone. That said, this tour had more of the feel of the real Stones than any since they reunited. In '89 even with Bill they were too constrained by all the samples.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 23, 2013 05:08

LP liner notes are obvious - but as we know the Exile ones are a bit off. That LP is most likely an anomaly of misinformation.

However, listening to the playing it can be rather obvious that it's Keith (as well as Bill or Ronnie) on whatever tracks and in this case, I would tend to lean towards [www.nzentgraf.de] being the most correct of any sites.

After all, it is a very detailed site.

I listed the songs that Keith plays bass on from that site but also knew that he played on quite a few of those already - some from LP liner notes, others from listening.

Posted by: howled ()
Date: July 23, 2013 08:26

pinkfloydthebarber
keith probly played bass on days when wyman was busy running after groupies

i've always like keiths bass on silver train, sympathy and soul survivor

keith is a good player, but sorry,not as good as wyman; case in point - keiths bass on the studio 'jjf' is good, but nowhere near as good as wyman's live versions in '69 (IMO)

ditto for live with me

but could keith swing like wyman did, earlier on, on 'you can't catch me' or 'down the road apiece?'

kieth hung on to the root note longer, which was decent, but you only have to listen to 'miss you' to appreciate how good wyman was

In the Sympathy film, Keith jumps on Bass and Bill has moved to the Maracas or whatever.

Funny thing about Bill is he doesn't seem to play the Guitar but he plays Keyboards.

A fair few bands change instruments in the studio and it's not uncommon for a Bass player to play Guitar ie Paul McCartney etc.

Date: July 23, 2013 09:04

howled
Funny thing about Bill is he doesn't seem to play the Guitar

They wouldn't let him within The Stones, because there were always more than enough guitarists hanging around as it was, so he could only play on his own time.

In the clip below, Bill plays acoustic guitar (like a 6-string bass) on a television performance of White Lightnin', a single from his 1974 album Monkey Grip.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: July 23, 2013 10:23

that's one of the more flattering pics of bill i've seen, thanks for posting.

bill is so easy to make fun of, i'm definitely guilty of posting a few metal detector pics and jokes. and because i'm a keith fan i like to talk about how great keith is on bass when in fact i know very little about bass playing, only about listening to rock music.

but Bill Wyman is THE rolling stones bass player as far as i'm concerned, and i'd stick up for his rep as a bass player to anyone not on this forum (where it's a group of people who love the band and like to kibbitz about it). no slight on Daryl, but he's just along to help mick, keith and charlie enjoy the long sunset of their career, entertain fans who couldn't see the band back in the day (or did but want more), and of course to make money.

everything they recorded after 79 was part of a long goodbye, Bill Wyman got tired of it before everyone else did and left in 94, gold rings on him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-23 11:51 by sonomastone.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: July 23, 2013 11:50

More Hot Rocks
Best bass player in the band. Daryl second. Taylor third. Wood forth. Wyman dead last.

Keith is a better bass-player than Daryl? smiling smiley We'd better ask Miles about that don't ya think?....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: UnpurePurist ()
Date: July 23, 2013 15:47

Keef rockin' the bass

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1172
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home