Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Keith on Bass
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 21, 2013 17:32

howled
Have a listen to Keith's classic Bass playing on JJF.

All of the instruments are really just Keith and Charlie until the outro bit.

The piano is there pretty much for the whole thing after the intro.

Date: July 21, 2013 17:42

Music is in Keith's blood, this is evident whether he's playing guitar, bass or singing. Keith played some ace bass lines, Bill played a whole lot of ace bass lines!

The creativity of the player is more important than whether or not they play an instrument exclusively.

What ever works for the song and music works for the song and music.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 21, 2013 17:56

Rollin92
Koen
Keith is a guitar player who sometimes picks up the bass. He is not s bass player, that's a very different beast.

You've hit that in a nutshell. To some of you, it's petty and insulting to try and take away Wyman's one defining achievement from him, being a superb bassist for the Stones. I picked up bass because of Bill not Keith nor Darryl. It's about time people raise a glass to Bill as opposed to always belittleing him.

You're right actually, we've got the metal detector, the underage philandering (in lieu of a more caustic description), the 'fear of flying', the 'Je Suis Un Rock Star', 50 years of bad hair days, amongst a host of other good material to use against Bill.

I think we must declare attacks on his bass playing ability a 'no fly zone'...leave the man something.

Re: Personnel
Posted by: O2 ()
Date: July 21, 2013 18:03

with sssoul
Maindefender
GasLight, curious what source you use? I refer a lot to Keno's site and ...

Every site has dubious moments but Keno's site is the last one anyone should look at for personnel listings.
They have six times more mistakes on line-ups than any other site. Sometimes it seems they have more errors than accuracies.

Ian McPherson's site - [www.timeisonourside.com] - also has errors, but not nearly as many.

Anyone knows some place (or places) with correct info about line-ups
thnak you

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 21, 2013 18:05

open-g
Koen

Guitarists who pick up the bass often play distinctive riffs, but tend to forget about a foundation or groove, or interacting with the drums. A bass player thinks first about the foundation, and is often not even heard. It is sometimes said that you only notice a great bass player when he stops playing.

Well that's totally not the case when Keith is playing bass.
he does leave out the fancy and un-needed shi-shi.
Keith is all about groove and locking in with the drums. he's got da riddim'

As always, Keith's of course the exception to the rule.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 21, 2013 18:08

O2
with sssoul
Maindefender

Every site has dubious moments but Keno's site is the last one anyone should look at for personnel listings.
They have six times more mistakes on line-ups than any other site. Sometimes it seems they have more errors than accuracies.

Ian McPherson's site - [www.timeisonourside.com] - also has errors, but not nearly as many.

thnak you

[www.nzentgraf.de]

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: July 21, 2013 18:12

Bill was the best bassist for the Rolling Stones.

Keith did an awesome job playing bass on a lot of crucial Stones songs.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: July 21, 2013 19:02

treaclefingers
Rollin92
Koen
Keith is a guitar player who sometimes picks up the bass. He is not s bass player, that's a very different beast.

You've hit that in a nutshell. To some of you, it's petty and insulting to try and take away Wyman's one defining achievement from him, being a superb bassist for the Stones. I picked up bass because of Bill not Keith nor Darryl. It's about time people raise a glass to Bill as opposed to always belittleing him.

You're right actually, we've got the metal detector, the underage philandering (in lieu of a more caustic description), the 'fear of flying', the 'Je Suis Un Rock Star', 50 years of bad hair days, amongst a host of other good material to use against Bill.

I think we must declare attacks on his bass playing ability a 'no fly zone'...leave the man something.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 21, 2013 19:04

MILKYWAY
Bill was the best bassist for the Rolling Stones.

Keith did an awesome job playing bass on a lot of crucial Stones songs.

Bill Plummer? Love him...

Date: July 21, 2013 19:09

More Hot Rocks
Best bass player in the band. Daryl second. Taylor third. Wood forth. Wyman dead last.
I'd read that one the other way around. Wouldn't have Keith last though. But for sure Wyman and Wood in 1 and 2.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: July 21, 2013 19:17

Please keep in mind, that Keith played bass in several songs on Tattoo You. I think from several or many reviews this is the case.. If not correct,

Please advise

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: July 21, 2013 19:21

His Majesty
Music is in Keith's blood, this is evident whether he's playing guitar, bass or singing. Keith played some ace bass lines, Bill played a whole lot of ace bass lines!

The creativity of the player is more important than whether or not they play an instrument exclusively.

What ever works for the song and music works for the song and music.

His Majesty
howled

Keith bass on jjf is jumpy, and his tone is not fat, typical for a guitarist that plays the bass on ocassions. It requires a lot of practice to get a fat tone and the right timing on the bass. Keith does a decent job though, he sticks to the melodic and rhytmhic rules of a bass player, nothing more, nothing less. By listening to the MSG version you can hear that Wyman understands the basic rules of bass playing better: he carries the song by playing more relaxed and groovy, and his tone and timing is as fat and rudimentary as you can get.. For a rock band like the the Rolling Stones, Bill was the better man simply cause he was more experienced.

Date: July 21, 2013 19:28

Sometimes, naivety is more fitting than experience. smiling smiley

Date: July 21, 2013 19:31

His Majesty

Widle widle?? winking smiley

Date: July 21, 2013 19:33

His Majesty

indeed. naivety is a hallmark of most successful rock bands.

Date: July 21, 2013 19:39

sonomastone
His Majesty

Yup, Keith bass on JJF made the Stones succesful. thumbs up

Date: July 21, 2013 19:41

svt22
sonomastone
His Majesty

Huh?

Date: July 21, 2013 19:43

sonomastone
svt22
sonomastone
His Majesty

Huh?

Follow the thread and you get it.grinning smiley

Date: July 21, 2013 19:51

svt22
sonomastone
svt22
sonomastone
His Majesty

Huh?

Not at all. There's nothing in the thread that implies anyone thinks Keith's bass on jjf made the band successful nor is that the logical conclusion of the arguments in the thread.

And the stones themselves are the first to claim they were very naive when they first became successful.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-21 19:51 by sonomastone.

Date: July 21, 2013 19:58

sonomastone
svt22
sonomastone
svt22
sonomastone
His Majesty

Huh?

Not at all. There's nothing in the thread that implies anyone thinks Keith's bass on jjf made the band successful nor is that the logical conclusion of the arguments in the thread.

And the stones themselves are the first to claim they were very naive when they first became successful.

I'm sorry, I thought you implied it cause you were quoting HM. His post was a reaction on my initial post. We lost the link.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 21, 2013 21:56

Has anyone compiled a complete list of every track to feature Keith on bass?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 21, 2013 23:24

Koen
Green Lady
Can one of the people who know about these things explain how a "guitarist who picks up the bass" plays differently from a career bass player, and why?

Guitarists who pick up the bass often play distinctive riffs, but tend to forget about a foundation or groove, or interacting with the drums. A bass player thinks first about the foundation, and is often not even heard. It is sometimes said that you only notice a great bass player when he stops playing.

I remember an article some time back where Charlie ruminated on Wyman. He compared him to Walter Page (which is a huge compliment) from Count Basie's band. Charlie added something to the effect that he never really understood the importance of Wyman until he stopped playing, and the whole bottom fell out of the band.

Date: July 22, 2013 01:27

24FPS
Koen
Green Lady
Can one of the people who know about these things explain how a "guitarist who picks up the bass" plays differently from a career bass player, and why?

I remember an article some time back where Charlie ruminated on Wyman. He compared him to Walter Page (which is a huge compliment) from Count Basie's band. Charlie added something to the effect that he never really understood the importance of Wyman until he stopped playing, and the whole bottom fell out of the band.

i love it when charlie talks - he often has something fresh and surprising to say. i'd like to think that they gave him the chance to pick whatever bass player he wanted to play with once bill left, but i don't know the history of daryl's selection.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: July 22, 2013 01:41

sonomastone
24FPS
Koen
Green Lady

i love it when charlie talks - he often has something fresh and surprising to say. i'd like to think that they gave him the chance to pick whatever bass player he wanted to play with once bill left, but i don't know the history of daryl's selection.

That's exactly what happened. If I recall, the band held auditions and the final decision was left to Charlie.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-22 01:41 by Bastion.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 22, 2013 02:42

Bastion
sonomastone
24FPS
Koen
Green Lady

That's exactly what happened. If I recall, the band held auditions and the final decision was left to Charlie.

Darryl came into their orbit through Keith's solo life in the late 80s. Darryl was a studio musician and of course he was a jazz bassist backing up the likes of Miles Davis and Sting. He did not grow up playing rock and roll. I still find his selection and never ending job with the Stones a bit of a mystery. My fear is that Charlie picked him for his jazz playing, without a thought to rock and roll, which Charlie has never had much affinity with. Bill Wyman was steeped in listening to and playing 50s rock and roll in other bands before he ever showed up for his audition with the Stones.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 22, 2013 02:58

Big Al
Has anyone compiled a complete list of every track to feature Keith on bass?

It's happening in this thread it looks like.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: July 22, 2013 03:27

Always dug Keith's Bass playing on Stones tracks, particularly "Live With Me"--

he also provided some pretty tasty Bass with the Dirty MAC-------------

HAVING SAID THAT, THO-- BILL WAS / IS THE STONES BEST BASS PLAYER

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: July 22, 2013 04:09

The opinions are all over the place in this thread.

My favourite Stones bass player, after Wyman, is Mick Taylor.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: July 22, 2013 04:20

GasLightStreet
O2
with sssoul
Maindefender

Thank you GasLight for the reference, should be loads of fun!!

thnak you

[www.nzentgraf.de]

Posted by: howled ()
Date: July 22, 2013 06:49

His Majesty
howled

The piano isn't exactly dominate.

----------------------------------------------

After the first Acoustic turnaround Keith comes in on a descending Bass line at the end of the second turnaround syncing with Charlie's groove which is a main drum beat on the swung off beat.

Basically arranged by Keith and also Charlie.

Keith plays some great Bass on JJF through the song, syncing with Charlie.

Keith and Charlie are a huge part of the swung Stones feel.

Mick Taylor was great on Tumbling Dice as well.

Turn the Bass up and listen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-22 06:51 by howled.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1270
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home