Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Albums you listen to
Date: July 20, 2013 08:37

sorta OT: albums you listen to a certain times of the year or remind you of certain times of the year?

this is sorta OT because your answers could be stones related. what albums do you listen to at certain times of the year or certain days of the year or remind you of a certain time of the year?

a few of mine:
-ugly kid joe. i always listen to one of their albums on the ride home from work the day i start my week long vacation

- the kinks- to the bone. i like to listen to this album on a late september/early october sunday afternoon. no clue why but it feels like that is when it should be played.

-the doors- waiting for the sun. i always listen to this album after labor day. in the USA labor say is considered the unofficial end of summer and i guess it had to do with the song "summers almost gone" being on this album.

-dwight yoakam- reprise please baby boxset. i like to listen to this boxset the week of thanksgiving. no clue why

- john mellen camp- on the rural route 7609. this looks like its going to be my go to listen on hot summer nights. has that feel to the music that reminds you of hot summer nights

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-21 14:58 by bv.

Re: sorta OT: albums you listen to a certain times of the year or remind you of certain times of the year?
Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: July 20, 2013 08:59

Abbey Road in August.

Re: sorta OT: albums you listen to a certain times of the year or remind you of certain times of the year?
Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 20, 2013 09:00

Black Crowes, Shake Your Money Maker.....spring/summer.

Date: July 20, 2013 09:25

Thrylan

reminded me i usually listen to before the frost in late fall

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 20, 2013 09:32

keefriffhard4life
Thrylan

reminded me i usually listen to before the frost in late fall

Different tracks on Exile for different times.....most of it anytime, lol, but Plundered is a late summer/fall track, as is all of side 4.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: July 20, 2013 13:08

Abraxas - Santana from June to July.

Radiohead - OK Computer from November to February

Jan Garbarak & Hilliard Ensemble - Officium in December

Vivaldi - Four Seasons - March to May

Stones - All year round - Brussels Affair on IPOD. Goats Head mostly throughout the year.

Johnny Cash - All year round

Date: July 20, 2013 13:27

tomcasagranda
Abraxas - Santana from June to July.

Radiohead - OK Computer from November to February

Jan Garbarak & Hilliard Ensemble - Officium in December

Vivaldi - Four Seasons - March to May

Stones - All year round - Brussels Affair on IPOD. Goats Head mostly throughout the year.

Johnny Cash - All year round

i wasn't trying to imply i don't listen the albums i listed at other times during the year but i make sure at specific times of the year i do bust them out in case i overlooked them all year.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 20, 2013 15:22

I don't really have a time of year that I listen to albums, but I do associate an album to the time of year or where I was at when I first got into it.

For instance, Goats Head Soup will always remind me of summer, because that's when I started listening to it seriously.

Songs in the Key of Life will forever remind me of freshman year of college, I wore it out in my dorm room and you could hear it everywhere on campus.

Posted by: DoughboyUK ()
Date: July 20, 2013 16:44

This time of year..."best of lighting seeds like you do"
Reminds me of summers of early 90s

Superb music lol

Dough

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 20, 2013 18:19

latebloomer
I don't really have a time of year that I listen to albums, but I do associate an album to the time of year or where I was at when I first got into it.

For instance, Goats Head Soup will always remind me of summer, because that's when I started listening to it seriously.

Songs in the Key of Life will forever remind me of freshman year of college, I wore it out in my dorm room and you could hear it everywhere on campus.

My last year of college was the year of Bridge Over Troubled Water - dinner with my six friends who shared a house round the corner from my bedsit, who didn't own much in the way of pop music, but they did own that and played it endlessly. No idea what the neighbours thought of Cecilia shaking the walls, but I love it to this day.

Date: July 20, 2013 19:33

Green Lady
latebloomer

My last year of college was the year of Bridge Over Troubled Water - dinner with my six friends who shared a house round the corner from my bedsit, who didn't own much in the way of pop music, but they did own that and played it endlessly. No idea what the neighbours thought of Cecilia shaking the walls, but I love it to this day.

That's funny Green Lady, because, being a bit younger than you, my place and time for that album is all about my little girl crush on my friend's older brother. I used to go over to Melissa's house just so I could see her dreamy brother who also played that album endlessly. Music and memories certainly go together...

Date: July 20, 2013 19:39

latebloomer
Green Lady
latebloomer

That's funny Green Lady, because, being a bit younger than you, my place and time for that album is all about my little girl crush on my friend's older brother. I used to go over to Melissa's house just so I could see her dreamy brother who also played that album endlessly. Music and memories certainly go together...

I like the idea that the faithless Cecilia in the song is Cecilia-the-muse-of-music, with you at one moment and off with some other guy the next.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 20, 2013 19:48

Some Girls & Tattoo You & Emotional Rescue...SUMMER!

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: July 20, 2013 20:33

Good thread---

'Exile' is always Summer listening for me-- got it during the hot summer it came out and I always identify it with the dog days of Summer

Beatles White Album around Christmas, because I got it as a Christmas gift back in 1968 and even though it was recorded during the spring and summer of '68 it always has a winter feel to it for me

Beach Boys 'Pet Sounds" always kicks off the summer in our house--Memorial Day Weekend-- don't know why but its a tradition

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: July 20, 2013 21:28

Abbey Road on a Sunday. Nice post.

Posted by: canadian.sway ()
Date: July 20, 2013 22:43

I often listen to Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness (the song, not the entire album) on the last day of summer holidays before going to bed.

I listen to Hank Williams a lot when on Manitoulin Island vacationing in the summer, it just seems to fit the scenery.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: July 20, 2013 23:14

Cool topic cool smiley

Rod Stewart Every Picture Tells A Story ( Maggie May ) - on Labor Day.

Wake up maggie I think I got something to say to you
Its late september and I really should be back at school

Rolling Stones Goats Head Soup ( Winter ) - around the Xmas holiday season

Yeah, and I wish I'd been out in Stony Canyon
When the lights on all the Christmas trees went out
But I been burnin' my bell, book and candle
And the restoration plays have all gone 'round

Yes Fragile ( Southside Of The Sky ) - During a snow storm

The moments seemed lost in all the noise A snow storm, a stimulating voice Of warmth of the sky, of warmth when you die

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 20, 2013 23:31

Get Yer Ya Ya's Out a very cold and clear blue sky in January.........

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: July 20, 2013 23:42

For those of you in the US... What's up with this weather ????????

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: July 21, 2013 00:02

Always flash backs to the brilliant summer of '78 with Some Girls of course.........

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 21, 2013 04:11

A good side of music for a summer night, particularly when it's dark and windy.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 21, 2013 04:49

Due to my friends playing these Stones albums Love You Live, Some Girls and Emotional Rescue have always been summertime albums to me.

The Cult's Sonic Temple was a spring and summer album.

U2's Achtung Baby is a fantastic winter album.

Posted by: fyp933 ()
Date: July 21, 2013 04:54

The Band - The Band (the Brown Album), I usually listen to this more during the autumn. The songs just seem to have a sound/feeling that reminds me of & captures the soul of the season in upper state New York, (I live not far away in Southern Ontario). This is kind of strange considering this album was recorded in Sammy Davis Jr. pool house in Los Angeles duting the summer.

Date: July 21, 2013 06:36

custom55
For those of you in the US... What's up with this weather ????????

Very hot here on the eastern seaboard, too. But, thunderstorms are coming to cool things off...

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: July 21, 2013 10:32

tattoo you - summer
exile - autumn
sticky fingers - winter
get yer ya-ya's out - spring (especially the first day it's warm enough to open your windows and blast the stereo)

let it bleed - always (remember to play it loud)

Date: July 21, 2013 14:40

Ronnie Lane's music in general, and One For The Road in particular, are for playing on long hot summer evenings.

Re: OT: Albums you listen to
Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: July 21, 2013 15:18

James Brown and JB Horns records on summer time.

Bob Dylan, Jayhawks in autumn.

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: July 21, 2013 17:49

treaclefingers

I agree on all 3...but nothing beats Tattoo You on a nice summer's day...Side 1 at sunrise to get you revved up and going....Side 2 during a gorgeous sunset while sitting on a lawn chair with a beer in hand...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 21, 2013 18:15

palerider22
treaclefingers

I agree on all 3...but nothing beats Tattoo You on a nice summer's day...Side 1 at sunrise to get you revved up and going....Side 2 during a gorgeous sunset while sitting on a lawn chair with a beer in hand...

I haven't listened to Emotional Rescue in quite some time...I think the last time I even heard the song itself, was last month at the Toronto 2 show. Yeah, I know I'm bragging.

OK, it's decided, when the family finally wakes up I'm blasting ER!

BTW, in university I always found side 2 Tattoo You the most sympathetic hangover soundtrack...when I finally got it on CD I could program the songs to keep repeating, instead of picking myself up to put the needle back to Worried About You.

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: July 21, 2013 18:30

treaclefingers

BTW, in university I always found side 2 Tattoo You the most sympathetic hangover soundtrack...

Indeed it was...and probably still is! smileys with beer

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1476
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home