Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

you all know woman/who is she?
Posted by: JJackFl ()
Date: July 20, 2013 00:26

Re: you all know woman/who is she?
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 20, 2013 00:27

Jane Rose...

ROCKMAN

Date: July 20, 2013 00:31

All of this was irritating the hell out of Mick, so Mick had gotten a guy to play keyboards for this upcoming tour, Matt Clifford, who also sidelined as a saxophone player and who’d played with Mick on his solo stuff. Keith said when he saw this friend of Mick’s get out a saxophone and start playing the solo on “Brown Sugar,” that’s when he told his personal manager, Jane Rose, to give me a call.
Jane Rose made the arrangements. They were rehearsing in New York, at Nassau
Coliseum on Long Island, so I flew in and was met at the airport by a car that took me to the hotel. I didn’t even have my own room. I was met there by Tony Russell, who said I could stay in his room for the time being, which sounded a little strange, so I asked him what was going on. “Well, Mick doesn’t know anything about you being here,” Tony told me. “Keith’s gonna have to slide you through the back door.”
Which is exactly what he did. Tony said, “Look, I’m gonna leave you here and go to the rehearsal, and sometime when the time is right, I’ll come and get you and bring you back over there.” So I sat in the hotel room for several hours, feelin’ like I was in some sort of FBI protection program, until Tony came back to take me over there. When we got there, I was told to sit in the car outside in the parking lot. Then Tony appeared at the back door of the place and waved me in. So I got my horn and I was walking to the back door, and the instant I opened it I was nose to nose with Mick Jagger.
Mick looked at me and asked, “What’re you doin’ here?” I said, “I don’t know, Keith called.”
Yes Rman!

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: July 20, 2013 00:39

JJackFl
All of this was irritating the hell out of Mick, so Mick had gotten a guy to play keyboards for this upcoming tour, Matt Clifford, who also sidelined as a saxophone player and who’d played with Mick on his solo stuff. Keith said when he saw this friend of Mick’s get out a saxophone and start playing the solo on “Brown Sugar,” that’s when he told his personal manager, Jane Rose, to give me a call.
Coliseum on Long Island, so I flew in and was met at the airport by a car that took me to the hotel. I didn’t even have my own room. I was met there by Tony Russell, who said I could stay in his room for the time being, which sounded a little strange, so I asked him what was going on. “Well, Mick doesn’t know anything about you being here,” Tony told me. “Keith’s gonna have to slide you through the back door.”
Which is exactly what he did. Tony said, “Look, I’m gonna leave you here and go to the rehearsal, and sometime when the time is right, I’ll come and get you and bring you back over there.” So I sat in the hotel room for several hours, feelin’ like I was in some sort of FBI protection program, until Tony came back to take me over there. When we got there, I was told to sit in the car outside in the parking lot. Then Tony appeared at the back door of the place and waved me in. So I got my horn and I was walking to the back door, and the instant I opened it I was nose to nose with Mick Jagger.
Mick looked at me and asked, “What’re you doin’ here?” I said, “I don’t know, Keith called.”
Yes Rman!

...Where is this from?

Date: July 20, 2013 00:46

Bastion
JJackFl
Yes Rman!

...Where is this from?
I don’t remember what Mick said after that. I think he just turned around on his heel and walked away. He never spoke to me once for that entire tour. Apparently, he was still upset with me for having quit the tour years ago, but also because I was now in Keith’s camp and not Mick’s. His attitude to this day has only slightly mellowed.
Anyway, once he saw me in the doorway, that blew the covert part of the mission, so Keith just said, “@#$%& it, come on in. If he wants to hire Matt Clifford, then I’ll hire you.” And that’s kinda what it came down to. I played on Keith’s songs and I played on “Brown Sugar.” For those first couple tours there was always another sax player.
from
Every day is saturadys night
Copyright © 2012 Bobby Keys

All rights reserved under International and Pan-American Copyright Conventions.

Library of Congress Cataloging-in-Publication Data is available.

eISBN : 978-1-619-02040-5

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-20 00:49 by JJackFl.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 20, 2013 01:12

JJackFl
Yes Rman!

Really great book for those that have not read it....although his memory is as bad as Keiths in some spots...he DIDN'T play sax on Return To Sender!!! C'mon Bobby.

Date: July 20, 2013 01:37

.....a little bit and there he was: Elvis @#$%& Presley. The song was “Return to Sender.”
I think I was told right after that, “Oh, didn’t you know this was for Elvis?” @#$%& no, nobody told me anything! I mean, shit! Of course, suddenly I was very, very nervous, but it didn’t take that many takes and we got it. It wasn’t the first take, unfortunately. Or the second, or the third. It took a few times, but I got it down. The whole time Glen D. was saying, “It’s OK, man. Take it easy. It’s all right.” Stuff like that to calm me down. Elvis didn’t really say much.
But I met him. It was quick, but I met him. I remember he said something like, “I’d like to thank you, son. Oh, you’re from Texas, you knew Buddy?” I didn’t exactly get to sit down and say, “What kind of hair oil do you use?” or “Where’d you get them blue suede shoes?” Actually, he wasn’t wearing blue suede shoes. I looked.
No, I didn’t say much, man. I was a teenager, eighteen years old. I didn’t say anything.

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: July 20, 2013 02:52

JJackFl
Elvis didn’t really say much.
But I met him. It was quick, but I met him. I remember he said something like, “I’d like to thank you, son. Oh, you’re from Texas, you knew Buddy?”

It's always kind of unnerving to read things like this. You realize that to Elvis, Buddy Holly was a guy he knew, not a Legend.

Kind of the same thing with that really nice interview with Bill at his place in France from 20 years ago or so, when he was still in the band. He talks about Brian for a bit and concludes, "He was alright." It's so normal. To Bill, Brian was a guy he used to know, not a Mythic Figure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-20 02:54 by blivet.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 20, 2013 14:41

Who's the guy with the hat?

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: July 20, 2013 14:52

A younger,slimmer,Bobby Keys maybe ?

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: July 22, 2013 12:36

Munichhilton
JJackFl
Yes Rman!

Really great book for those that have not read it....although his memory is as bad as Keiths in some spots...he DIDN'T play sax on Return To Sender!!! C'mon Bobby.

Half way through the book and quite an enjoyable read.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: July 22, 2013 13:53

odean73
Half way through the book and quite an enjoyable read.

Very nice book indeed.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: SundanceKid ()
Date: July 22, 2013 16:28

Koen
Who's the guy with the hat?

You're amusing.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 22, 2013 17:03

how can we wonder why the glimmer relationship is tense when stuff like this comes out?

Keith sneaking Bobby in for sessions...why the hell wouldn't he just confront MJ and say, "look, I know you're pissed at Bobby but I don't give a shit, forgive and forget and move on".

"I sometimes miss my friend"...that's cuz you're passive-aggressive.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 22, 2013 17:30

Who took the photo, please and thank you? And when, if that's stated anywhere?

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 22, 2013 17:31

treaclefingers

Sometimes, most times...I don't even know you

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 22, 2013 23:47

Munichhilton
treaclefingers

Sometimes, most times...I don't even know you

at some point we should be introduced...or something.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1944
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home