Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
YCAGWYW- Live or Studio; Choir or not?
Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 19, 2013 10:39

I don't get it.....to me, the de-evolution is complete. Just like Sympathy, what once was a wicked, guitar dominated live track, has been completely castrated, featuring everything BUT guitars, highlighting NON-Stones musicians. To make things worse, this is part of the encore.....very disappointing. I have always felt this was a much better track live, until now. So now, towards the end of the show, we get drum loops and Chuck on Sympathy, and choirs and Matt Clifford's french horn in the encore....

If I needed more studio Stones, I would have bought Grrr....or 40 Licks(which I made my wife take back.)

Re: YCAGWYW- Live or Studio; Choir or not?
Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: July 19, 2013 10:44

always preferred the studio version. you are right about the de-evolution however. one of the key things that made the stones a great live band was them re-interpreting their own material in unpredictable and exciting ways.

although it's considered a real feat these days to be able to "play the record" live (ie so many bands use so many samples, studio musicians, one in 100 takes, etc. in the studio they can't reproduce their songs live), and even more so for the stones, it's just not very stonesy to simply reproduce the record live. it's not what made them great, i should say. they decide what is stonesy and what is not :-)

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 19, 2013 11:20

I don't think it's a better or worse, right or wrong thing . Just personal preference.
My own preference live is for a simple guitar based intro with keith chopping the chords up a bit as in the 80s & 90s.
Ronnie has proved that he can still really excell on this song too.

French horns ? choirs ? Nothing rwong with 'em ...but not needed.

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: July 19, 2013 11:48

They've been playing it like the record for 25 years, it wasn't going to change anytime soon. Adding the choir for the tour is a nice touch imo.

Posted by: Seb91 ()
Date: July 19, 2013 13:46

I thought the choir was a fantastic addition, YCAGWYW is probably my favourite Stones track so I like it being close to the record. Each to their own I guess smiling smiley

I do however get what you mean about liking live versions of songs to sound different, its one of the reasons I love seeing people like Bob Dylan and Robert Plant live.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 19, 2013 13:54

for me i like the love you live version with ronnie's nice solo

Date: July 19, 2013 14:29

sonomastone
always preferred the studio version. you are right about the de-evolution however. one of the key things that made the stones a great live band was them re-interpreting their own material in unpredictable and exciting ways.

although it's considered a real feat these days to be able to "play the record" live (ie so many bands use so many samples, studio musicians, one in 100 takes, etc. in the studio they can't reproduce their songs live), and even more so for the stones, it's just not very stonesy to simply reproduce the record live. it's not what made them great, i should say. they decide what is stonesy and what is not :-)

I really like the studio version too, but it's also kinda funky which perhaps they only got right live on RnR Circus. You get what I'm saying though. A great example is JJF. Studio, 69',72',75',81' all are different AND great.

Date: July 19, 2013 14:30

TheGreek
for me i like the love you live version with ronnie's nice solo

Probably my favorite too.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 19, 2013 14:32

I liked the choir @ the show I saw (LV). That show they used high school kids & they were obviously thrilled & did a great job. It was pretty cool.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: July 19, 2013 15:25

This tour's version of YCAGWYW, and its placement as an encore,
was @#$%& BRILLIANT!

In my humble opinion...

Posted by: muffie ()
Date: July 19, 2013 15:48

Love either the official or boot Brussels 1973 live version. Trevor Laurence's adds a beautifu sax break. KR lays down a brilliant rhythm over which MT lays gorgeous lead. Pure awesomeness that preludes an incredible Midnight Rambler.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: July 19, 2013 15:56

For me it's a tossup between the Studio/No Choir version and the Rock and Roll Circus version.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: July 19, 2013 15:57

I'm in the minority (maybe even of 1) but i don't like the choir on the studio cut.
Wish it was available without somewhere coz it's a fantastic record but the choir just makes me cringe and it's a shame coz the band is smokin' underneath them.

Posted by: muffie ()
Date: July 19, 2013 16:07

ash
I'm in the minority (maybe even of 1) but i don't like the choir on the studio cut.
Wish it was available without somewhere coz it's a fantastic record but the choir just makes me cringe and it's a shame coz the band is smokin' underneath them.

4:52 single version as was found on the Honky Tony Women/You Can't Always Get What You Want single hasn't got the introductory choir. Unlike the full 7:33 Let It Bleed album version. Can compare them:

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: July 19, 2013 16:39

muffie
ash

4:52 single version as was found on the Honky Tony Women/You Can't Always Get What You Want single hasn't got the introductory choir. Unlike the full 7:33 Let It Bleed album version. Can compare them:

I think ash was saying no choir at all, not just intro. Because the band isn't smoking underneath the choir intro. That version is on Singles Collection, Grrr! and other compilations. I personally listen to that one myself as I'm good without the intro, but it doesn't bother me. I also listen to the single version of She's A Rainbow, don't need a carnival barker every time I listen to the track.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-19 16:41 by NoCode0680.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 19, 2013 18:15

The B-side edit is good if you want to skip the choir intro.

Regardless, the studio version KICKS. It's simple, one acoustic, one electric, the organ, the piano and the (very loud) shakers. It's a very stripped down tune and it rocks.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: July 19, 2013 20:05

As much as i love 'You Can't Always Get What You Want', i have always found the original LET IT BLEED version a touch overblown. The versions i love the most are from the 1972-73 live period, and especially those from the Australian tour from early 1973. Mick and Keith singing round the microphone during the choruses is quite transcendant.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: July 19, 2013 21:45

Yep i meant no choir. Anywhere. No choir on intro or outro. Or the bit in between the intro and the outro.

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: July 19, 2013 21:55

Love the choir, think its the best stones track ever!!

Date: July 20, 2013 03:25

Surprising..... I thought this would get killed, as I am obviously not a choir fan. To me, the concept of an encore is to rock, choirs don't rock. And yes, during the outro of the studio version, the band is cooking, if you can hear them.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: July 20, 2013 04:57

Ronnie has been playing some pretty damn nice solos in YCAGWYW this tour.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 20, 2013 05:10

I thought what Ronnie did on the Steel Wheels tour for it was great. He's great at those kind of solos. He's very Ronnie when he plays that way. That version of Flashpoint is prett good considering... and he is a big reason why, as little as it is.

Date: July 20, 2013 05:24

Ronnie is a great "anti-soloist", Shattered, BTMMR, etc...

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: July 20, 2013 15:05

jazzbass

I listened to a piece of a YCAGWYW-solo from the last tour by Ronnie and I was shocked. I like him as a person, he seems to have been nice to Taylor, but he can't 'craft' a solo at all. Even those 3 short Sway-solos were absolutely horrible. If any second guitarist wasn't apt for the Stones it was Ronnie. And I don't mean that personal at all, I have nothing against the man. But he really never has fit in.

Date: July 20, 2013 16:13

kleermaker
jazzbass

I listened to a piece of a YCAGWYW-solo from the last tour by Ronnie and I was shocked. I like him as a person, he seems to have been nice to Taylor, but he can't 'craft' a solo at all. Even those 3 short Sway-solos were absolutely horrible. If any second guitarist wasn't apt for the Stones it was Ronnie. And I don't mean that personal at all, I have nothing against the man. But he really never has fit in.

Wow.....when I hear Shattered, Imagination and several others, I hear "anti-solos" that MT would have never done. One guy ran scales,(in a unique way), and the other is more of a riff/fill guy. For instance, I think there are times MT completely sterilized TD.....but it's all opinion and personal taste.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 20, 2013 16:43

When they first did it with a choir anywhere, ever, the first night at the 02 back in November it was thrilling. I guess now the thrill has gone but it's still a good version.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-20 16:44 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 20, 2013 17:59

Silver Dagger
When they first did it with a choir anywhere, ever, the first night at the 02 back in November it was thrilling. I guess now the thrill has gone but it's still a good version.

I was there, and to me it sounded just fantastic. I have always loved any version of this song, but the choir on the 2 London concerts last year were amazing.

We have listened to this song live without the choir since 1969, and to me, the addition of the choir gave a new life to this old warhorse, imo.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: July 20, 2013 19:51

Thrylan
kleermaker
jazzbass

Wow.....when I hear Shattered, Imagination and several others, I hear "anti-solos" that MT would have never done. One guy ran scales,(in a unique way), and the other is more of a riff/fill guy. For instance, I think there are times MT completely sterilized TD.....but it's all opinion and personal taste.

Taylor could play riffs and fills like nobody else. Only those who know little or (almost) nothing about his playing would deny that.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 20, 2013 20:04

The live renditions on this tour haven't particularly dazzled me, to be honest. Te choir was a nice surprise when heard for the first time last year, but I miss Keith's solo introduction.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: July 20, 2013 21:51

kleermaker
jazzbass

I couldn't disagree more. In fact I think he actually fits in better than Brian or Mick T. Now, as far as playing style and which version of the Stones you prefer, the solidly separated lead, rhythm version with Taylor, or the give and take solo and riff swapping, "weaving" version with Ronnie is a valid debate that will never likely be settled. But as far as who fit it with the Stones, their playing and certainly their persona, Ronnie fits like a glove. I always thought his solos were a bit awkward and definitely in his own style, but they fit none the less. As far as his solo on YCAGWYW this tour, well I've seen it live 6 times and 5 from the pit and I thought it sounded really good. Another solo that actually really sounded good was the short one he takes in Midnight Rambler.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1773
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home