Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Bye Bye Johnny 1972
Posted by: Berry88 ()
Date: July 16, 2013 23:44

Now that some people like to be so hard and critical with Keith Richards, it's good to remember why he was so great and why he deserves respect and indulgence.

I mean, apart from Chuck Berry, there isn't better rock 'n roll guitar player than Keith Richards. I don't care if technically he wasn't the greatest, like every hater and wannabe amateur guitar player are always saying. There is something which is intangible, a special feeling which is not imitable in his playing. Like if it was part of him, like he was rock n' roll, not simply doing rock 'n roll.

Keef's solos in Chuck Berry style are incredible.

Re: Bye Bye Johnny 1972
Posted by: bigmac7895 ()
Date: July 17, 2013 00:04

I don't think Keith solos on any of these. Carol 69-70/Little Queenie 69-70 and Roll Over Beethoven 1970 yes, but here it is Taylor.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: July 17, 2013 00:05

Agreed. And don't forget the so songwriting either :-)

Bye bye Johnny 72 is a highlight for me too

Date: July 17, 2013 00:06

I stand corrected. Taylor solos over Jagger during the verse but Keef does the Chuck solos

Date: July 17, 2013 00:12

I guess one could say this was "weaving at it's best" with Taylor soloing on verses and Keef filling in the solos inbetween and with the chorus'

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: July 17, 2013 00:31

Thanks for posting this Rolling Stones R&R masterclass, Richards at his best indeed. It also shows that Richards and Taylor got the best out of each other, both as rhythm and lead players. To me the Stones never sounded as great like this again after Taylor's departure.

"His touch, his tone, and his melodic ideas wowed me. I never understood why he left..." Keith Richards on Mick Taylor.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: July 17, 2013 02:01

There goes Taylor, over playing and messing up a perfectly good song. He should have played the rhythm throughout. Brian Jones played it perfectly.

Posted by: flashhh ()
Date: July 17, 2013 04:46

Keef at his best and much better than he is now....

Posted by: Reagan ()
Date: July 17, 2013 07:35

Never mind. Figured it out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-17 07:37 by Reagan.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 17, 2013 11:02

Keith's Chuck Berry in outer space thing is one of my favorite things about the Stones.

Date: July 17, 2013 11:17

Love those solos. Top of his game.

Posted by: two4fun111 ()
Date: July 17, 2013 15:14

That last video is just great stuff...and I have to say, those licks aren't that hard to play...even for a decent weekend warrior....just really proves to me that a lot of people don't know what they're talking about when they comment on Keith's playing nowadays...he could EASILY play those licks with one hand behind his back....only question for me is why they don't do a song with that fast a ..'ala Chuck style....it'd be great

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: July 17, 2013 15:24

The reason they dont perform fast-paced songs is that they all wouldnt keep up!
Keith would make a mess of this today..

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: July 17, 2013 17:51

YES. YES. YES.
There are very few things I enjoy more than the Stones covering a Chuck Berry song. Keith is the man.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: July 17, 2013 18:21

Carnaby
There goes Taylor, over playing and messing up a perfectly good song. He should have played the rhythm throughout. Brian Jones played it perfectly.

Here you go:

grinning smiley

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: July 17, 2013 19:12

Thank you for posting. Live at Leeds '71 is good too.

Date: July 17, 2013 19:27

Kleermaker,

So, the one you posted has Taylor playing lead the whole time. I thought I had dreamed it after seeing the previous posts. So, on this tour did they trade who does the lead? This sure sounds like Taylor on the one you posted.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 17, 2013 19:32

kleermaker

Here you go:

grinning smiley

I like this rendition. Taylor's soloing gives the song more of an epic feel and I do like it when they decide to mix-up guitar duties like this. They still do today. For instance, Keith usually takes the solo on It's All Over Now, but Ronnie had a bash at one of last years 02 Arena shows. Good job he did, too.

Date: July 17, 2013 19:34

bigmac7895
Kleermaker,

So, the one you posted has Taylor playing lead the whole time. I thought I had dreamed it after seeing the previous posts. So, on this tour did they trade who does the lead? This sure sounds like Taylor on the one you posted.

It's Taylor throughout on this recording, but I do believe that it was Keith on all other renditions. I think we may have had a thread about this before, but I am not sure.

Posted by: two4fun111 ()
Date: July 17, 2013 19:52

Eleanor Rigby

I don't believe that for a second.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: July 17, 2013 19:57

Carnaby

Complete and utter nonsense - the sound coming from Taylor's guitar is magic.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: July 17, 2013 19:58

Keith does play the lead break on all the vids Berry88 postedand Taylor the fills during the verses. Kleermaker's vid is all Taylor on lead. Was the latter version earlier in the tour then? Love all these versions and always loved Keith's take on Berry. The way he plays that Berry shuffle has got incredible groove and feel. I've been trying to nail that "sound" for many years and still haven't got it. The groove that Keith gets is in a large part of what makes him great in my view...

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: July 17, 2013 20:01

Eleanor Rigby

Sounds pretty good to me...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-17 20:02 by Bastion.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: July 17, 2013 20:31

Kleermaker's video - I wonder what circumstances arised that Keith let MT play the lead throughout ? . Was Keith not up to it that night, or was he being a team player, and felt MT deserved the chance to play the solo.

play the guitar boy

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: July 17, 2013 20:44

Think the BBJ with Taylor soloing was the first date of the tour. It was obviously decided after that (wisely) that Keith would do the solos from then on.

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: July 17, 2013 21:18

Big Al
kleermaker

Here you go:

grinning smiley

I like this rendition. Taylor's soloing gives the song more of an epic feel and I do like it when they decide to mix-up guitar duties like this. They still do today. For instance, Keith usually takes the solo on It's All Over Now, but Ronnie had a bash at one of last years 02 Arena shows. Good job he did, too.

For a moment or two I thought this was Taylor on rhythm. Don't you have more Taylor noodling on this song Kleer? I love that counterpoint he does with Jagger.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: July 17, 2013 22:28

svt22
Big Al
kleermaker

For a moment or two I thought this was Taylor on rhythm. Don't you have more Taylor noodling on this song Kleer? I love that counterpoint he does with Jagger.

I wish I had, but it's the only time Taylor takes the solos on this song (during the 72 tour, first gig). Anyway, the word counterpoint is essential to Taylor in relation to the Stones music, and in a lesser degree that goes for Brian Jones as well. Of course it doesn't go for our friend Rrrrrronnie Wwwwood.

Date: July 17, 2013 22:29

OK, let's compare Ronnie and Keith's differing solo's on It's All Over Now.

Here's Ronnie's from one of last years London shows. Solo begins at 01:28 :-

And here's Keith from a show on the North American leg. His solo begins at around 01:20 :-

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: July 17, 2013 22:46

The opening night of the '72 tour was unique for a number of reasons: the set list with the two one off performances; Keith stood on stage to Jagger's right; and this performance of BBJ is all Taylor. BBJ was wonderful in '72, but for my money this is classic Keith:

Posted by: Berry88 ()
Date: July 17, 2013 22:48

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-17 22:50 by Berry88.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1475
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home