Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT George Thorogood
Posted by: Promoman ()
Date: July 16, 2013 10:44

This was last Sunday. I was still a bit tired, driving back from London during the night.This is the fourth time I saw GT. First time was when he opened for the Stones in 'De Kuip' in '82.
In all those years there've been few changes to the setlist.
He does know how to rock.

Re: OT George Thorogood
Posted by: Lien ()
Date: July 16, 2013 11:06

I saw him twice this weekend; Paradiso and Bospop .Still great !!
Same setlist

( at Bospop, he also made the same " jokes" as the night before winking smiley )

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: July 16, 2013 11:24

GT has expressed a low opinion of the RS, Mick specifically, but IMO he would have been a great choice to replace MT once he decided to leave.

The RS would have been incredible with him on lead guitar. Different from MT, not so fluid or melodic, but very powerful.

Posted by: Promoman ()
Date: July 16, 2013 11:54

Lien

( at Bospop, he also made the same " jokes" as the night before winking smiley )

He even made the same joke about trying to get arrested, years ago in Paradiso. Still funny.

Posted by: LQ1977 ()
Date: July 16, 2013 11:58

"How sweeeeeet it is!" I love George´s music and have seen him three (?) times. Would be great seeing him again!

-------------------------------------------------------------

Literally 965 kilometers from being "Born in an Arctic zone".

Posted by: Roadster32 ()
Date: July 16, 2013 12:41

Saw him a few days ago in Munich. Great show. Pure R'n'R. Straight through the set; no shitty guitar changing after each song. Loved it.

Date: July 16, 2013 13:30

one of the last real rock n rollers

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: July 16, 2013 16:42

So what was worst? His singing or his guitar playing?

Date: July 16, 2013 17:48

RockinJive

the video in the first post proves he can still do both and rocks out without 10 extra musicians on stage to fill out a sound

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: July 16, 2013 18:01

RockinJive

Move it on over

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: July 16, 2013 20:35

Bliss
GT has expressed a low opinion of the RS, Mick specifically, but IMO he would have been a great choice to replace MT once he decided to leave.

The RS would have been incredible with him on lead guitar. Different from MT, not so fluid or melodic, but very powerful.

hmm.

would like to know what he said about Jagger and them, the 'low opinion'..

and the idea of him joining the Stones...can't see how that would have worked..

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: July 16, 2013 21:37

A tad on the boogie woogie/Hip Shake side, but anyone who likes Chuck Berry as much as he does has my approval. No, not right for the Stones, either in guitar style or nationality. Nothing particularly wrong with Georgie, just not right for the Stones.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 16, 2013 21:41

Really.....

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: July 16, 2013 22:09

There's a part here where Keith just blows George off.... Tough room! around 7:09..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-16 22:12 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 16, 2013 22:34

Yep Carnaby nailed it ......... just not right for the Stones

ROCKMAN

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 17, 2013 04:02

Regarding GT's apparent low opinion of The Stones, it seems to come down to laziness, or at least being inconsiderate, when it comes to the audience, as mentioned in this interview from 2012 with Classic Rock Revisited.

Jeb [[i]Classic Rock Revisited[/i]]: Do you feel pressure to always step up your game because of this? When you have a bad day do you have to make yourself get up?

George: No, I am on all the time, anyway. I am like Tom Jones. I demand the same from the band and the crew. I can’t stand these guys who are in bands and they show up six hours late to the rock show. They are IN the band! Once they show up then they are mean to the audience. I can’t believe these people. You are in a rock band; that is what you do for a living. How can you be late? Think about that for a minute…your dream was to be Keith Richards or Mick Jagger and that is your gig and you show up late? Everybody wants to be a rock and roll star; the President wants to be a rock star. I am a rock star and I want to be one, too. People say, “What time is Thorogood and his band going on?” Someone says, “They go on at eight.” The guy says, “What time do they show up?” They say, “Seven-thirty.” The guy says, “Seven-thirty? That is not much time.” The guy says, “They show up at seven-thirty in the morning!”

Full interview at: [www.classicrockrevisited.com]

Jeb: You brought up the Rolling Stones. Kemper Arena, 1981, you opened for the Stones and they were off that day and you were on. You blew them away.

George: [looks at me like I am insane]

Jeb: What? You don’t believe me?

George: Thirty years later, I’m starting to believe that because I have heard that from so many people from all areas of the world. I just go, “Okay…” Now, it must be true if it has been said that many times. I have to tell you this…I went up to Bill Wyman, Ian Stewart and Bill Graham and said, “Do you think I’ll ever be as good as Mick Jagger on stage?” One of them, I don’t remember which one, giggled and said, “You’re there now.” Another one said, “You would not be here if you were not that good.” Bill Graham said the same thing to me that you just said. Now, I want to be clear about this…YOU brought this up…

Posted by: slew ()
Date: July 17, 2013 05:49

I like George Thorogood but he ain't in the same league as the Rolling Stones! I've seen him three or four times great enthusiasm but no imagination talk about a stale setlist.............

Posted by: Berry88 ()
Date: July 21, 2013 11:23

Thorogood is a powerful rock n roller. Look at this. Good to see anybody in 2013 doing classic stuff with such passion:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1538
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home