Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Can you see too many Stones shows?
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 16, 2013 10:36

drbryant
I've seen the Stones perhaps 50 times since 1973. I think that there is nothing that will top the first show, or the first time I saw them from the front row of the B Stage (the B stage was great - you can't get any closer, and it was so small that there was nowhere for them to disappear to), but every show has its special moments. I'm sure I'll never forget the exhilaration of hearing those chords from Start Me Up (played correctly) for the first time on the Steel Wheels tour after thinking they would never tour again, or more recently, Keith's vocal on Memory Motel in Boston, or Mick Taylor on Rambler two nights ago. I can probably say something about every show I've seen that was special to me, and I'm sure most of the members of this forum have a special memory of each show they've seen as well. That's why we still go, right?[/[/b]quote]

Too right ;^)

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: July 16, 2013 10:53

i agree to much of anything kills the excitement.that said i have seen them 24 times in 35 years.78-12.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: July 16, 2013 11:41

No...

Posted by: tornnfrayed ()
Date: July 16, 2013 15:06

When the Stones were young, you could never see too many shows. The more the better. Now I think the fewer you see the better.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: July 16, 2013 17:05

well, uptil now ive seen them only 25 times, since 1976.

Hope to catch them a few more times this year.

jeroen

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: July 16, 2013 17:51

It's a guilty pleasure...you can never get enough, but I made a clean cut after a boring Pacbell 2002 in SF followed by a terrific show in Oakland...back on board for the Trabendo, hehe...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: belld ()
Date: July 16, 2013 21:30

Silver Dagger
No! I saw them the last three Saturdays in the UK and each show was different. The first one at Glastonbury was VERY different.
VERY different. May I please ask you to expand on this observation/experience as I am very interested.Thanks.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 16, 2013 22:03

56 shows since 1975. How can you get tired of the whole experience. New cities to see. New people to meet. New stage. New surprises. If someone doesn't understand. Ask someone how can you watch 16 weeks of your local losing NFL team every year. That will shut them up.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: July 20, 2013 19:16

CousinC
Dreamer

As an example of their enthusiasm; MJ asking PW several times to put the lights on. I think on TD and on BS; "Put the lights on Patrick, put the lights on!"...
He wanted to see for himself. The crowd. The enthusiasm. He wanted to experience it better...interact (better) with them and not just sing but hear and see. That's the kind of intense interaction and concentration and focus you sometimes can see on stage. That's what makes some RS shows very very good to experience.

[/quote

Sorry to say but the lightning quote wasn't that new or special. Over the years they did it as a special effect quite often. In 73 they did it at most shows. "Put the light on, George . ." Stars in the sky boot.

Reg. Paradiso - yeah, that were great set lists, rare tunes and mostly very good playing. And that atmosphere before the gig round Melkweg,etc. Fantastic!
They really should have done a DVD about those days and nights in Amsterdam.GREAT . .

Yeah but I think it was spontaneous at Glasto, he's urgently asking for it...really wanted to make contact with the crowd.

Paradiso: I have a feeling they will will do that...but when?

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: July 20, 2013 19:27

flacnvinyl
Dreamer
stonesdan60
First of all, the Stones are my favorite band of all time and I'm really bummed that I couldn't get to any of the 50 and Counting shows. I feel blessed to have seen them six times, plus Keith and the Winos twice. When I read comments by people who say "this was my 54th show, better than Podunk #1, but lamer than Somewhere Else #2," I have to wonder of seeing so many shows, or attending every show of a tour could ruin the experience. Many of the more jaded comments seem to come from such folks. Well, how could a set list or the inevitable hits not seem old if you hear them so many times. For me, the whole thrill of seeing the Stones is getting to see a legendary band who's music thrills me because for me, getting to see them is not a common event. In the case of people like me or those who might only see them once, the vibe and excitement overshadows any mistakes etc. If I'd seen a zillion shows then maybe I would also harp on about a flubbed chord or sloppy solo, but that kind of misses the point of what rock and roll is all about. So I wonder...Do any of you who've seen the Stones dozens of times feel like the overexposure has taken the edge off the thrill of what for most people is a rare experience? Do you think you'd enjoy a Stones concert more if it was a rare experience for you? I'm not judging people who get to see multiple shows but I can't help but wonder if those who see them less often have a more satisfying experience? Any thoughts would be welcome!

No you can't see too many because each one of them is, what you more or less say and I agree with, an exciting experience. Seeing every show of a tour doesn't ruin that. A legend is a legend even if it is a band and they will stay that.
But it can make you spoiled in a way: at a certain moment I stopped counting the shows and started counting the tours but that's because I had a job to do on tour (I was a fan already!). Some years ago I thought I had seen enough but I got curious after seeing footage of the O2 & New York shows. So I went to see them in California and Las Vegas and wrote about that [www.iorr.org]

I said this about MR:

It's still a very good song but the adventure level is too low for me and I just don't like those far too predictable games he plays (he should forget about the audience and just have fun, like on CYHMK at Staples2!)
But that will be a different experience when you see them just one evening, I realize that. However most of us IORR'ians see them several times on stage! Or at least watch all the videos and listen to cd's of all the shows we bought...

I guess most of us at IORR are spoiled in a way. We know a lot about the band, the music, the dvd's and all the albums and most of us have seen 2 or 3 or more shows of almost every tour. And can see videos of a show on IORR just seconds after the encore..
So that makes you look out for things that are different. Outtakes, rarities, b sides, variety in setlists, club shows, guesting, solo stuff etc. Also: the RS like playing their music and how people respond to that. I just got back from London and talked to some people that came to the same conclusion; they really liked Glastonbury...
I missed that but could see the entire show on tv and full stereo
[www.youtube.com]
As an example of their enthusiasm; MJ asking PW several times to put the lights on. I think on TD and on BS; "Put the lights on Patrick, put the lights on!"...
He wanted to see for himself. The crowd. The enthusiasm. He wanted to experience it better...interact (better) with them and not just sing but hear and see. That's the kind of intense interaction and concentration and focus you sometimes can see on stage. That's what makes some RS shows very very good to experience.

Best experience (and best shows musically!) for me? The gig with this setlist:

1 -Not Fade Away
2 -It's All Over Now
3 -All Down The Line
4 -Live With Me
5 -Beast Of Burden
6 -Let It Bleed
7 -Angie
8 -Wild Horses
9 -Dead Flowers
10-Sweet Virginia
11-Still A Fool
12-Down In The Bottom
13-Shine A light
14-Lik A Rolling Stone (first time played)
15-Monkey Man
16-Jump On Top Of Me
17-Connection ((MJ&KR singing in 1M)
18-Before They Make Me Run
19-Slipping Away
20-Can't Get Next To You
21-Rip This Joint
22-Street Fighting Man
23-Respectable

The Paradiso shows...
They were very keen and very eager to play that one. And very happy with how they played those shows.
And the setlists...especially this 2nd night. Man...that was satisfying...even when I already saw them a lot!

Dreamer that is the one recording I can't believe they have not released in completion. They recorded the whole gig for Stripped, released a few choice tunes, but the show was amazing on Foottappers! Love the intro to Its All Over Now! I guarantee you no one was disappointed with that setlist! That is my dream gig. No joke.

There you have it: we can all agree about one setlist I guess... smoking smiley
Yes mine too! smiling bouncing smiley
Very nice memories.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: July 20, 2013 20:38

seen them 3 times. would liked to have seen them many more times but lifes ruled by circumstances so it didnt happen.

amazed to see them the first time in 1990, because it was such a surprise they were going to tour again, i thought they had finished when i got into them in 1987.

a bonus to see them twice, 2nd show edinburgh 1999.

the icing on the cake was 02 in 2007.

love to see them again, would have loved to have seen them in the early days(not possible), loved to have seen them in the mid 60,s late 60,s, 70,s etc.

im just thankful i saw them and have loads of cd,s, dvd,s and records. also youtube.

Date: July 20, 2013 20:53

Stoneage
Once every tour is enough. More than that is above par! Location is important though. Club beats arena, arena beats stadium.

I respectfully disagree. I would have jumped on going to as many Stones shows as possible ( whole tours even) except that money and getting the time off from work have a real life effect (for me) preventing this. I have no desire to be homeless living on the street. So i go to what I can with out going totally broke or selling my house and car. If the Stones played every night, with the same setlist, in the same location,of course it would get boring after a while but fortunately this is not even remotely the case.

I rank the performance as more imporant than the venue (location). Some of the best Stones concerts I've ever been to have been at outdoor stadiums...

Posted by: njlstones815 ()
Date: July 20, 2013 23:30

Absolutely Not!!! I've seen them live over 450 times dating back to 1969 and have never gotten tired of seeing "The Greatest Rock n' Roll Band" Live!!!

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: July 21, 2013 00:45

Thanks for all the replies to my question. Like I said, I've seen them in '78, '81, '89, '02, '05 and '06 and feel blessed to have caught them on good nights on each tour. (maybe except for the "81 tour opener in Philly, lol). I have to admit that if was better off financially I would have seen a lot more shows than I have because I know that every show is different. The set list might stay the same, but the Stones are reliable to deliver a good show, but if you are lucky enough to catch them on a great night, when Keith and Ronnie are in the zone and are nailing their riffs and solos, it's a transcendent experience. So sad I missed the 50 tour but I have a feeling they may be back. I hope so.....spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 21, 2013 12:25

No! If I had the $ & didn't have to hold down a job, I'd go to every show.

Posted by: flashhh ()
Date: July 21, 2013 13:51

sanQ
No because they play different everytime. You might hear something new.

Key word here is "might"....It baffles me why people would want to see multiple shows on any given tour. Each show is almost identical to the previous one. Borrring!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1500
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home