Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Can you see too many Stones shows?
Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: July 15, 2013 16:18

First of all, the Stones are my favorite band of all time and I'm really bummed that I couldn't get to any of the 50 and Counting shows. I feel blessed to have seen them six times, plus Keith and the Winos twice. When I read comments by people who say "this was my 54th show, better than Podunk #1, but lamer than Somewhere Else #2," I have to wonder of seeing so many shows, or attending every show of a tour could ruin the experience. Many of the more jaded comments seem to come from such folks. Well, how could a set list or the inevitable hits not seem old if you hear them so many times. For me, the whole thrill of seeing the Stones is getting to see a legendary band who's music thrills me because for me, getting to see them is not a common event. In the case of people like me or those who might only see them once, the vibe and excitement overshadows any mistakes etc. If I'd seen a zillion shows then maybe I would also harp on about a flubbed chord or sloppy solo, but that kind of misses the point of what rock and roll is all about. So I wonder...Do any of you who've seen the Stones dozens of times feel like the overexposure has taken the edge off the thrill of what for most people is a rare experience? Do you think you'd enjoy a Stones concert more if it was a rare experience for you? I'm not judging people who get to see multiple shows but I can't help but wonder if those who see them less often have a more satisfying experience? Any thoughts would be welcome!

Re: Can you see too many Stones shows?
Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: July 15, 2013 16:22

Philly #2 was my 20th show - 1st in 1978 in New Orleans. The answer is NO - you cannot see the Rolling Stones too many times.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 15, 2013 16:30

Once every tour is enough. More than that is above par! Location is important though. Club beats arena, arena beats stadium.

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: July 15, 2013 16:43

I've seen them around 20 times (on every tour since Urban Jungle 1990) - and have to say that I'd have happily seen them many more.

If you're of a certain disposition and seen them dozens of times, then maybe you're inclined to moan if they play this or that warhorse instead of obscure album tracks - I guess a forum like this is going to attract the kind of people that feel they somehow 'own' the Stones or revel in the fact that they 'know' more than your average pleb who only has a greatest hits cd and saw the Stones once in 1995 because their mate had a spare ticket.

Anyway, for me there are 2 moments in a Stones show that I could never, EVER get bored of. First is that moment of anticipation and excitement when the lights go down and you know that the band are waiting in the wings ready to explode into action - and secondly hearing that harmonica in a certain key and knowing that you're about to hear Midnight Rambler. (Although it's not been played at every Sones gig I've been to).

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: July 15, 2013 17:12

"You can't put too much water in a nuclear reactor."

The same thing applies... You can't see too many Stones concerts.

Posted by: nickm8 ()
Date: July 15, 2013 17:22

no way

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: July 15, 2013 17:51

stonesdan60
First of all, the Stones are my favorite band of all time and I'm really bummed that I couldn't get to any of the 50 and Counting shows. I feel blessed to have seen them six times, plus Keith and the Winos twice. When I read comments by people who say "this was my 54th show, better than Podunk #1, but lamer than Somewhere Else #2," I have to wonder of seeing so many shows, or attending every show of a tour could ruin the experience. Many of the more jaded comments seem to come from such folks. Well, how could a set list or the inevitable hits not seem old if you hear them so many times. For me, the whole thrill of seeing the Stones is getting to see a legendary band who's music thrills me because for me, getting to see them is not a common event. In the case of people like me or those who might only see them once, the vibe and excitement overshadows any mistakes etc. If I'd seen a zillion shows then maybe I would also harp on about a flubbed chord or sloppy solo, but that kind of misses the point of what rock and roll is all about. So I wonder...Do any of you who've seen the Stones dozens of times feel like the overexposure has taken the edge off the thrill of what for most people is a rare experience? Do you think you'd enjoy a Stones concert more if it was a rare experience for you? I'm not judging people who get to see multiple shows but I can't help but wonder if those who see them less often have a more satisfying experience? Any thoughts would be welcome!

No you can't see too many because each one of them is, what you more or less say and I agree with, an exciting experience. Seeing every show of a tour doesn't ruin that. A legend is a legend even if it is a band and they will stay that.
But it can make you spoiled in a way: at a certain moment I stopped counting the shows and started counting the tours but that's because I had a job to do on tour (I was a fan already!). Some years ago I thought I had seen enough but I got curious after seeing footage of the O2 & New York shows. So I went to see them in California and Las Vegas and wrote about that [www.iorr.org]

I said this about MR:

It's still a very good song but the adventure level is too low for me and I just don't like those far too predictable games he plays (he should forget about the audience and just have fun, like on CYHMK at Staples2!)
But that will be a different experience when you see them just one evening, I realize that. However most of us IORR'ians see them several times on stage! Or at least watch all the videos and listen to cd's of all the shows we bought...

I guess most of us at IORR are spoiled in a way. We know a lot about the band, the music, the dvd's and all the albums and most of us have seen 2 or 3 or more shows of almost every tour. And can see videos of a show on IORR just seconds after the encore..
So that makes you look out for things that are different. Outtakes, rarities, b sides, variety in setlists, club shows, guesting, solo stuff etc. Also: the RS like playing their music and how people respond to that. I just got back from London and talked to some people that came to the same conclusion; they really liked Glastonbury...
I missed that but could see the entire show on tv and full stereo
[www.youtube.com]
As an example of their enthusiasm; MJ asking PW several times to put the lights on. I think on TD and on BS; "Put the lights on Patrick, put the lights on!"...
He wanted to see for himself. The crowd. The enthusiasm. He wanted to experience it better...interact (better) with them and not just sing but hear and see. That's the kind of intense interaction and concentration and focus you sometimes can see on stage. That's what makes some RS shows very very good to experience.

Best experience (and best shows musically!) for me? The gig with this setlist:

1 -Not Fade Away
2 -It's All Over Now
3 -All Down The Line
4 -Live With Me
5 -Beast Of Burden
6 -Let It Bleed
7 -Angie
8 -Wild Horses
9 -Dead Flowers
10-Sweet Virginia
11-Still A Fool
12-Down In The Bottom
13-Shine A light
14-Lik A Rolling Stone (first time played)
15-Monkey Man
16-Jump On Top Of Me
17-Connection ((MJ&KR singing in 1M)
18-Before They Make Me Run
19-Slipping Away
20-Can't Get Next To You
21-Rip This Joint
22-Street Fighting Man
23-Respectable

The Paradiso shows...
They were very keen and very eager to play that one. And very happy with how they played those shows.
And the setlists...especially this 2nd night. Man...that was satisfying...even when I already saw them a lot!

Posted by: MJRocksoff ()
Date: July 15, 2013 17:57

Philly #2 was my 25th simce 94!!! I cherish each time but especially the Philly # 2 and The Newark # 1 show last Dec as I was in first row both times! Philly # 2 was the BEST overall experience I have ever had seeing the boys look at you as you have the time of your life. Eric

Posted by: beepee2 ()
Date: July 15, 2013 18:04

Can you see too many Stones shows? Yes.

I bet most of the people here would go crazy after a while if they were forced to see a Stones show every day, anything becomes annoying after a while.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 15, 2013 18:05

No! I saw them the last three Saturdays in the UK and each show was different. The first one at Glastonbury was VERY different.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: July 15, 2013 18:20

Philly 2 was my 50-something show going back to 7/26/72.

Some tours -- Steel Wheels, Voodoo Lounge, I saw too many shows, yes, and started to get sick of them. Licks i saw maybe 4 over a long period and it was enough. Bigger Bang only 2 or 3 and it was enough. Your premise is correct, at least for me. I started seeing fewer shows and enjoying them more. No question.

By the way, after all those shows i enjoyed Philly a few weeks ago immensely. It was a fabulous show, but one was enough.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-15 18:22 by Rokyfan.

Posted by: beepee2 ()
Date: July 15, 2013 18:24

Silver Dagger
No! I saw them the last three Saturdays in the UK and each show was different. The first one at Glastonbury was VERY different.

That doesn't mean you would still enjoy it if you had seen them 1300 times in a row in 1300 days.

Posted by: atip ()
Date: July 15, 2013 18:57

Maybe you can't go to too many, but you make a good point. The thrill isn't as great after a bunch of times than if you only see them, say, once in a while. The 1st show I attend on a tour is always exciting. It's kinda like sex, it's always good, but give it some time between goes, and it's hard to think of anything you'd rather be doing.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: July 15, 2013 21:13

I've seen the Stones perhaps 50 times since 1973. I think that there is nothing that will top the first show, or the first time I saw them from the front row of the B Stage (the B stage was great - you can't get any closer, and it was so small that there was nowhere for them to disappear to), but every show has its special moments. I'm sure I'll never forget the exhilaration of hearing those chords from Start Me Up (played correctly) for the first time on the Steel Wheels tour after thinking they would never tour again, or more recently, Keith's vocal on Memory Motel in Boston, or Mick Taylor on Rambler two nights ago. I can probably say something about every show I've seen that was special to me, and I'm sure most of the members of this forum have a special memory of each show they've seen as well. That's why we still go, right?

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: July 15, 2013 21:22

My wife just had her 54th Show last Saturday, I might have 70 something.
Of course you can see to many Stones Shows. You have to find the dosing yourself.
Special moments: Yes 1982 Frankfurt Festhalle 2nd concert, Urban Jungle in Basel was wild, 2003 Stockholm all three, but Cirkus outstanding. 2012 London 2nd Show, and by no means Philadelphia 2 this year.

And of course many more good memories since 1976.
Do I want to continue? Yes as long as they can reach Peaks like during the US Arena Shows.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 15, 2013 21:25

I haven't seen the Stones since the last 02 show on the A Banger Bang tour. This show was my eight in total: four shows on Licks and A Bigger Bang respectively. I would have dearly liked to have caught them in London last year or in Hyde Park, but even if I had the money, I very much doubt I would attend more than the one show. I'm as bigger fan as I was ten years ago, but circumstances and priorities change. Once this time around would have been nice. Once this time would have been perfect. The likes of bv and so-called 'super fans' go to countless shows. The Rolling Stones are a hobby. It's in their blood. I'm just a fan.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 15, 2013 21:30

NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: murf3901 ()
Date: July 15, 2013 21:31

with this last go-around on the 50th ann-o tour, i was fortunate enough to log my 13th & 14th shows at the honda center, anaheim.
my first two shows in 1999 during no security - the pond (now honda center) and mgm grand were simply amazing. mainly b/c it was the first time seeing the band live, legends, history in the making, and after a few years of listening to their music, reading the books, and over-watching the bridges to babylon dvd, i was witnessing the band live for the first time. truly unbelievable.
it's interesting to read different fans pov regarding different shows over the various tours that i have been to. some people were at the exact show of mine and for the most part have a similar review of the show that i do, which is cool to read mainly because the shows to me that really stand out, most others share the same sentiment.
between my 2 NS shows, 5 licks shows, 5 BB shows, and the 2 50th shows - i'm very thankful to have experienced this band over the past 14 years and even more thankful that my wife got to see them for the first time during this last go-around.
i hope for more shows. they blew me away, again!

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 15, 2013 22:22

Know

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: July 15, 2013 22:24

Nope!

Each concert has something special about it.

Goin through old ticket stubs. Remembering the weather from this one, the Monkey Man from this concert, the bummed note intro/restart there, etc.

Posted by: Big Ed ()
Date: July 15, 2013 23:40

First Time Show November 30, 1969 West Palm Beach, FL. SHOW NUMBER 1
I was 15 years old Stones came on stage at 3am in the morning it was a
Freezing cold night!!!! Was wearing cut off blue jean shorts and a
Vneck T Shite no shoes. It was an intoxicating moment in my life that
The BOY have continued, to this day never ever let me down!!!!!!!!

So now 44 years latter at the age of 59. Shoes this time Vneck T Shirt
Jeans and a much warmer night than 1969.
Most Recent Show June 24, 2013 Washington DC. SHOW NUMBER 326

Which of the 326 show I have seen was the best....is not the question

The answer is most likely the next SHOW that I have not seen yet.

So till then they are STILL and CURRENTLY at the TOP of their GAME

"Don't Stop". Big Ed

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: July 16, 2013 00:45

I have seen them only twice, but I am very satisfied. If I saw them again, that'd be awesome, but if I don't, that's OK too. Both were arena shows, Chicago and St. Louis.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: July 16, 2013 01:27

Dreamer

As an example of their enthusiasm; MJ asking PW several times to put the lights on. I think on TD and on BS; "Put the lights on Patrick, put the lights on!"...
He wanted to see for himself. The crowd. The enthusiasm. He wanted to experience it better...interact (better) with them and not just sing but hear and see. That's the kind of intense interaction and concentration and focus you sometimes can see on stage. That's what makes some RS shows very very good to experience.

[/quote

Sorry to say but the lightning quote wasn't that new or special. Over the years they did it as a special effect quite often. In 73 they did it at most shows. "Put the light on, George . ." Stars in the sky boot.

Reg. Paradiso - yeah, that were great set lists, rare tunes and mostly very good playing. And that atmosphere before the gig round Melkweg,etc. Fantastic!
They really should have done a DVD about those days and nights in Amsterdam.GREAT . .

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: July 16, 2013 01:31

Big Ed
First Time Show November 30, 1969 West Palm Beach, FL. SHOW NUMBER 1
I was 15 years old Stones came on stage at 3am in the morning it was a
Freezing cold night!!!! Was wearing cut off blue jean shorts and a
Vneck T Shite no shoes. It was an intoxicating moment in my life that
The BOY have continued, to this day never ever let me down!!!!!!!!

So now 44 years latter at the age of 59. Shoes this time Vneck T Shirt
Jeans and a much warmer night than 1969.
Most Recent Show June 24, 2013 Washington DC. SHOW NUMBER 326

Which of the 326 show I have seen was the best....is not the question

The answer is most likely the next SHOW that I have not seen yet.

So till then they are STILL and CURRENTLY at the TOP of their GAME

"Don't Stop". Big Ed

That is very impressive. You have seen them exactly 301 times more than me. For the mathematicians that is THREE HUNDRED!! There must be one outstanding moment that is your favourite? For me it was Star Star at Twickenham 1 in 2003. Please share yours with us.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: July 16, 2013 03:27

beepee2

I bet most of the people here would go crazy after a while if they were forced to see a Stones show every day, anything becomes annoying after a while.

Especially the same set over and over and over

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: July 16, 2013 04:49

Has BV ever seen them live? Let's ask him. I only seen 'em 21 times.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: July 16, 2013 05:27

black n blue
beepee2

Especially the same set over and over and over

imagine what it's like to be the band playing the songs... no wonder keith messes around with the intros.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: July 16, 2013 09:26

Dreamer
stonesdan60

No you can't see too many because each one of them is, what you more or less say and I agree with, an exciting experience. Seeing every show of a tour doesn't ruin that. A legend is a legend even if it is a band and they will stay that.
But it can make you spoiled in a way: at a certain moment I stopped counting the shows and started counting the tours but that's because I had a job to do on tour (I was a fan already!). Some years ago I thought I had seen enough but I got curious after seeing footage of the O2 & New York shows. So I went to see them in California and Las Vegas and wrote about that [www.iorr.org]

I said this about MR:

It's still a very good song but the adventure level is too low for me and I just don't like those far too predictable games he plays (he should forget about the audience and just have fun, like on CYHMK at Staples2!)
But that will be a different experience when you see them just one evening, I realize that. However most of us IORR'ians see them several times on stage! Or at least watch all the videos and listen to cd's of all the shows we bought...

I guess most of us at IORR are spoiled in a way. We know a lot about the band, the music, the dvd's and all the albums and most of us have seen 2 or 3 or more shows of almost every tour. And can see videos of a show on IORR just seconds after the encore..
So that makes you look out for things that are different. Outtakes, rarities, b sides, variety in setlists, club shows, guesting, solo stuff etc. Also: the RS like playing their music and how people respond to that. I just got back from London and talked to some people that came to the same conclusion; they really liked Glastonbury...
I missed that but could see the entire show on tv and full stereo
[www.youtube.com]

Best experience (and best shows musically!) for me? The gig with this setlist:

1 -Not Fade Away
2 -It's All Over Now
3 -All Down The Line
4 -Live With Me
5 -Beast Of Burden
6 -Let It Bleed
7 -Angie
8 -Wild Horses
9 -Dead Flowers
10-Sweet Virginia
11-Still A Fool
12-Down In The Bottom
13-Shine A light
14-Lik A Rolling Stone (first time played)
15-Monkey Man
16-Jump On Top Of Me
17-Connection ((MJ&KR singing in 1M)
18-Before They Make Me Run
19-Slipping Away
20-Can't Get Next To You
21-Rip This Joint
22-Street Fighting Man
23-Respectable

The Paradiso shows...
They were very keen and very eager to play that one. And very happy with how they played those shows.
And the setlists...especially this 2nd night. Man...that was satisfying...even when I already saw them a lot!

Dreamer that is the one recording I can't believe they have not released in completion. They recorded the whole gig for Stripped, released a few choice tunes, but the show was amazing on Foottappers! Love the intro to Its All Over Now! I guarantee you no one was disappointed with that setlist! That is my dream gig. No joke.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: July 16, 2013 10:03

If you're tired of the warhorses you've seen too many shows IMO.

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: July 16, 2013 10:10

No because they play different everytime. You might hear something new.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1866
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home