Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
70's Vinyl Remasters?
Posted by: paulbright81 ()
Date: July 12, 2013 15:51

Hi folks, I have recently started re buying alot of my Stones albums on vinyl since I recently purchased a new record playing set up.

I have the DSD versions of BB and LIB and the Super Deluxe Exile from a few years back.

What are the best versions around for Sticky Fingers on?
I prefer brand new so even tho original pressings might be the answer here Im looking elsewhere. Did the 70's catalouge get DSD or similar treatment?

Cant wait until Hyde Park tomo!! Thanks for any help.

Re: 70's Vinyl Remasters?
Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: July 12, 2013 16:01

MFSL sticky fingers half speed master
try one on the bay. You will not regret it

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 12, 2013 18:34

toomuchforme

The half speed Master is superb for clarity ...bur lacks the balls of the original pressing. You need both mate ;^)

[One problem with half speed mastering is that you lose some of the really low bass...the stuff you can't really hear but which moves the air . A good record playing system will reveal this failing . ]

Date: July 12, 2013 18:40

...and whilst we're at it.

If you can get original pressings in decent nick...they'll nearly always sound better than anything else.

Don't be impressed by any b*llocks about "virgin vinyl" or "heavy weight vinyl".
What really counts is the quality of the master tapes and the condition of the stampers when the record was pressed.
That's why early original pressings are the best. They were cut from the original young master tapes and the stampers weren't worn from lengthty use.

[edited twice for dyslexic fingers ]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-12 18:42 by Spud.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 12, 2013 18:41

For 70's onwards probably the original pressings are best. I have the 2010 vinyl boxset and feedback has been too much compression used. On the other hand the 60s version of this boxset is excellent.

You can still buy even sealed versions of the original releases on Ebay. You'll pay a king's ransom for Exile or Sticky, but generally very good prices on even sealed albums for the rest of the catalogue.

I've purchased several sealed Some Girls in the past for $10, with the original Miss You hype sticker, for instance.

If you have the time, it's can be worth the hunt!

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: July 12, 2013 18:53

Spud
toomuchforme

The half speed Master is superb for clarity ...bur lacks the balls of the original pressing. You need both mate ;^)

[One problem with half speed mastering is that you lose some of the really low bass...the stuff you can't really hear but which moves the air . A good record playing system will reveal this failing . ]

Cannot hear this failure on my 30k€ system grinning smiley

Date: July 12, 2013 22:19

toomuchforme
Spud
toomuchforme

Cannot hear this failure on my 30€ system grinning smiley

If your system's only worth 30 euros, then you shouldn't expect to notice too much.

Maybe get some good headphones, better than sinking the money into good speakers?

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: July 12, 2013 23:14

1980's Japanese Pressing. Stellar.

Posted by: Laughingsam ()
Date: July 13, 2013 01:18

toomuchforme
Spud

toomuchforme

Cannot hear this failure on my 30k€ system grinning smiley

If you can't hear it, maybe you care to see it. I use iZotope Insight metering suite to identify audio attributes and problems.

You can get a copy of Insight on the "other bay" err, the piratebay.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: July 13, 2013 03:02

Let's see, I started with lp's, then on to 8-tracks, then on to cassette, then to cd, then to mp3, then to be told lp is best (oh, forgot about the flac conspiracy). Do I start all over again?confused smiley

I guess when I begin to compare bars and graphs and curves then I've truly lost it...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-13 03:04 by shadooby.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: July 13, 2013 03:42

Flac is the same as CD. Mp3 is the worse of all. Originally it was made for encoding sound on videos. I think it says it all.

Date: July 13, 2013 19:20

shadooby
Let's see, I started with lp's, then on to 8-tracks, then on to cassette, then to cd, then to mp3, then to be told lp is best (oh, forgot about the flac conspiracy). Do I start all over again?confused smiley

I guess when I begin to compare bars and graphs and curves then I've truly lost it...

Too funny. I never liked 8 track, by the time I got into music cassettes were popular but I didn't like them either as it seemed to me that the wear would be heavy. What I did do was buy the vinyl then play once, taping it to cassette, and then play the hell out of the cassettes. I wasn't that worried about sound quality at the time.

By the time CDs came into play, I was up to my nipples in vinyl, so I was committed but I did start buying CDs as well, as they were convenient but always still preferred the vinyl.

Great to see vinyl never went away and is now coming back big time.

Posted by: paulbright81 ()
Date: July 15, 2013 21:12

Really? Fantastic thanks for that.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: July 16, 2013 02:36

100% Pure LPs
Their only competitor is the mint conditioned original pressing. (borrowed from their advertisement grinning smiley )

Date: July 16, 2013 04:18

Toru A
100% Pure LPs
Their only competitor is the mint conditioned original pressing. (borrowed from their advertisement grinning smiley )

Toru, what is different about these pressings..in other words, what makes them so good?

Thanks.

Date: July 16, 2013 15:54

treaclefingers
Toru A
100% Pure LPs

Toru, what is different about these pressings..in other words, what makes them so good?

Thanks.

Hi treaclefingers san,

They say
Pure 180g LP is the ultimate vinyl record that exemplifies the uncompromising quest for the perfect audio experience by integrating the latest technology and procedures available today.
A completely new blend of colorless virgin vinyl weighing 180 grams has been specially developed for Pure 180g LP. Pressed directly from metal masters.
Features SHM-SACD spec flat DSD transfer from the analog masters. Features the original LP designs.
metalmaster direct pressing

The price is
US $ 54.60 for each disk.confused smiley

I think
Unless people are using good cartridge such as Koetsu Phono Cartridge to play any vinyls, it doesn't sound nice.
(This is just my personal opinion.winking smiley )

Date: July 16, 2013 16:49

Toru A
treaclefingers
Toru A
100% Pure LPs

Thanks.

Hi treaclefingers san,

They say
Pure 180g LP is the ultimate vinyl record that exemplifies the uncompromising quest for the perfect audio experience by integrating the latest technology and procedures available today.
A completely new blend of colorless virgin vinyl weighing 180 grams has been specially developed for Pure 180g LP. Pressed directly from metal masters.
Features SHM-SACD spec flat DSD transfer from the analog masters. Features the original LP designs.

The price is

I think
Unless people are using good cartridge such as Koetsu Phono Cartridge to play any vinyls, it doesn't sound nice.

Thanks Toru san, so it sounds as though you're saying that unless you have a very high end cartridge, you might not notice a difference.

As most reissues are on 180 g virgin vinyl, it sounds as though the new colourless vinyl is specially engineered for these pressings and are somehow preferable. I wonder what the difference actually is.

I recently purchased the new, June 2013, ABKCO clear vinyl pressings for Beggar's Banquet, Let It Bleed and Hot Rocks...do you know if they are in any way related to the these Japanese pressings?

Also, are these newly constructed metal masters made from the SHM-SACD versions? Is the entire Stones catalogue released on 100% Pure, or selected albums?

Thanks!

EDIT: I did a little research and from what I see it is Sticky Fingers and IORR that are the only two albums at this point that are being released in this format:

[translate.google.ca]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-16 17:08 by treaclefingers.

Date: July 16, 2013 17:10

"Features SHM-SACD spec flat DSD transfer from the analog masters."

In other words, "digitally disastered" .

Shame.

Any arguable benefits of the nice vinyl and careful pressing process will be a complete waste of time.

Date: July 16, 2013 17:30

treaclefingers
Toru A
treaclefingers
Toru A
100% Pure LPs

Thanks.

Hi treaclefingers san,

They say

The price is

I think

Thanks Toru san, so it sounds as though you're saying that unless you have a very high end cartridge, you might not notice a difference.

As most reissues are on 180 g virgin vinyl, it sounds as though the new colourless vinyl is specially engineered for these pressings and are somehow preferable. I wonder what the difference actually is.

I recently purchased the new, June 2013, ABKCO clear vinyl pressings for Beggar's Banquet, Let It Bleed and Hot Rocks...do you know if they are in any way related to the these Japanese pressings?

Also, are these newly constructed metal masters made from the SHM-SACD versions? Is the entire Stones catalogue released on 100% Pure, or selected albums?

Thanks!

EDIT: I did a little research and from what I see it is Sticky Fingers and IORR that are the only two albums at this point that are being released in this format:

[translate.google.ca]

treaclefingers san,

>unless you have a very high end cartridge, you might not notice a difference.

Yes. But, if listeners don't have any vinyl issues, they can be a good option.

> are these newly constructed metal masters made from the SHM-SACD versions? Is the entire Stones catalogue released on 100% Pure, or selected albums?

Sitcky fingers and It's only rock n'roll have been released.

"LIMITED Audiophile 180g Heavyweight newly blended colorless virgin vinyl LP w/Obi Universal Music Japan Using genuine '180g heavyweight' newly blended colorless virgin vinyl.
Pressed directly from 'Metal Master'.'Direct Transfer Cutting' from *DSD edit master that is also used for SACD-SHM and New type sleeve.
Using a fold-out paper sleeve with original artwork instead of regular cardboard picture sleeve housed in a clear thick plastic bag for protection.
Proudly Pressed at Toyo Kasei factory, Yokohama, Japan.
This is a brand new vinyl from Japanese only new audiophile vinyl catalog series named '100% PURE LP'.
*The Direct Stream Digital (DSD) format adopted for the 100% PURE LP is a format that provides a 1-bit digital pulse density (variation) in voice signal size that is quite unlike the conventional Pulse Code Modulation (PCM) format."

The Yokohama factory is very famous for analog lovers.smiling smiley

Date: July 18, 2013 06:33

Toru A
treaclefingers
Toru A
treaclefingers
Toru A
100% Pure LPs

Thanks.

Hi treaclefingers san,

They say

The price is

I think

Thanks!

[translate.google.ca]

treaclefingers san,

>unless you have a very high end cartridge, you might not notice a difference.

Yes. But, if listeners don't have any vinyl issues, they can be a good option.

> are these newly constructed metal masters made from the SHM-SACD versions? Is the entire Stones catalogue released on 100% Pure, or selected albums?

Sitcky fingers and It's only rock n'roll have been released.

"LIMITED Audiophile 180g Heavyweight newly blended colorless virgin vinyl LP w/Obi Universal Music Japan Using genuine '180g heavyweight' newly blended colorless virgin vinyl.
Pressed directly from 'Metal Master'.'Direct Transfer Cutting' from *DSD edit master that is also used for SACD-SHM and New type sleeve.
Using a fold-out paper sleeve with original artwork instead of regular cardboard picture sleeve housed in a clear thick plastic bag for protection.
Proudly Pressed at Toyo Kasei factory, Yokohama, Japan.
This is a brand new vinyl from Japanese only new audiophile vinyl catalog series named '100% PURE LP'.
*The Direct Stream Digital (DSD) format adopted for the 100% PURE LP is a format that provides a 1-bit digital pulse density (variation) in voice signal size that is quite unlike the conventional Pulse Code Modulation (PCM) format."

The Yokohama factory is very famous for analog lovers.smiling smiley

Even if analog sounded exactly the same as digital, I'd still prefer vinyl because it's so freakin' cool.

Date: July 18, 2013 15:24

Fyi, here comes the new CD format..."Platinum SHM" for audiophile only.winking smiley
Exile and Tattoo You on Sep 25.

Date: July 18, 2013 16:36

Toru A
Fyi, here comes the new CD format..."Platinum SHM" for audiophile only.winking smiley

Toru san...that is freakin' cool.

What are the audio specs on this...in other words, other than cool packaging, how is this 'better' than the best CD version out there now, the 1994 Virgin release?

Date: July 18, 2013 17:03

treaclefingers
Toru A

What are the audio specs on this...in other words, other than cool packaging, how is this 'better' than the best CD version out there now, the 1994 Virgin release?
treaclefingers san,

Althouth materials are slightly different, masters are basically same as 100% Pure LP and SHM-SACD.
I might notice a difference because of my poor ears.
Cardboard Sleeve and the color of disk arouse my interest, anyway.
Platinum SHM

Date: July 19, 2013 08:28

Toru A
treaclefingers
Toru A

treaclefingers san,

Althouth materials are slightly different, masters are basically same as 100% Pure LP and SHM-SACD.
Platinum SHM

OK Toru san, I think I get it...it's a new version and pretty so we should get it for those reasons. I've recently bought the new ABKCO clear vinyl versions of Beggar's LIB and Hot Rocks so I think we may drink from the same kool aid cup.

Date: July 19, 2013 13:47

Toru A

Platinum SHM

On the universal music webpage they say it's made from the same source as SHM SACD. It could be the best ever CD version of Stones albums.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-19 13:47 by kowalski.

Date: July 19, 2013 16:09

kowalski
Toru A

Platinum SHM

On the universal music webpage they say it's made from the same source as SHM SACD. It could be the best ever CD version of Stones albums.

I haven't noticed a price on it yet...it will be interesting where that comes in.

Obviously a very premium product.

Posted by: Rialb ()
Date: July 19, 2013 23:50

Does anyone who has heard these "new" clear vinyl releases have an opinion on the sound quality. Are the just another DSD vinyl reissue or do they sound better?

The ads say they are re-mastered by Bob Ludwig at Gateway Mastering and Cut at Trutone Mastering by Carl Rowatti and pressed at RTI. I do not see analog mentioned anywhere.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-19 23:51 by Rialb.

Date: July 20, 2013 00:10

Rialb
Does anyone who has heard these "new" clear vinyl releases have an opinion on the sound quality. Are the just another DSD vinyl reissue or do they sound better?

The ads say they are re-mastered by Bob Ludwig at Gateway Mastering and Cut at Trutone Mastering by Carl Rowatti and pressed at RTI. I do not see analog mentioned anywhere.

The clear vinyls use the 2002 remasters made by Bob Ludwig. They're based on digital high res DSD files. They shouldn't sound too different from previous ABKCO vinyl reissues since 2002.

See : 3 Classic Rolling Stones Albums To Be Released On Clear Vinyl on May 28

" All three albums have been meticulously mastered from high resolution audio files sourced from the original master tapes, assuring optimal sound quality that exceeds both conventional CD audio and digital downloads. "

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: July 20, 2013 03:11

So please tell me which sound system (receiver type/headphones/and, or speaker type) and room dynamics (floor/wall/ceiling composition) I will need to fully hear and benefit from these long awaited upgrades.

Sound on Original Pressings
Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: July 20, 2013 04:52

treaclefingers
For 70's onwards probably the original pressings are best. I have the 2010 vinyl boxset and feedback has been too much compression used. On the other hand the 60s version of this boxset is excellent.

You can still buy even sealed versions of the original releases on Ebay. You'll pay a king's ransom for Exile or Sticky, but generally very good prices on even sealed albums for the rest of the catalogue.

I've purchased several sealed Some Girls in the past for $10, with the original Miss You hype sticker, for instance.

If you have the time, it's can be worth the hunt!

Is this true? I am trying to find the best vinyl pressing of Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out. I thought the best pressing is the Mobile Fidelity half-speed that is part of that 11 LP box set that came out 20-some years ago. I was even checking Better Records to see if it had a White Hot Stamper of GYYYO.

But you think my best bet would be to get the original pressing of GYYYO? I guess that would be from 1970? I have a bunch of different LPs but I don't think any are the original vinyl pressings.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1805
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home