Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Grrr Blu-Ray audio
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 12, 2013 10:54

Has anybody got this yet? Not out in US yet but I saw an import copy ($50) at my local record store yesterday. Think it was out of England. Unfortunately the 50 song version, not the 80 song version. Just wondering if worth the effort. I've got most of the ABKO SACD discs & some of those are a revelation.

Re: Grrr Blu-Ray audio
Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: July 12, 2013 13:24

For the 60's tracks on the GRRR! blu-ray, the 2002 remasters were used as sources.
However I wouldn't say a 96kHz PCM encoding is on par with a DSD encoding (on SACD).

For the rest of tracks, they are available in high definition for the first time. Unfortunately they have been mastered very loud. Which really doesn't help to get all the benefit from a high definition encoding.

Posted by: caesar ()
Date: July 12, 2013 13:48

I got it from
[www.amazon.co.uk]

Don't let yourself be ripped off by your local store!
Though I always support local business, this guy may have ordered it from (see above). And he would really p.. his pants selling it at $50.

Take a look at the shipping costs:
Standard - North America (GBP)
Music / DVD / Blu-ray
Per Item 0.99 Per Delivery 2.09
So for you that'd be: $21 incl. shipping

Regarding the sound:
I own several ABKCO and Japan SACDs. Improvement is obvious at all records compared to a CD or LP, BUT the older the original recordings are, the less you should expect.
If the master were produced poorly, the limits will remain.
So would I judge this item: better but not breathtaking.
The Blueray has 50 Songs.

Date: July 12, 2013 13:52

Thanks for the info. The loud mastering thing definitely can get out of hand. I really like the SACD format. Too bad it never caught on in a big way. Fortunately, Sony's Blu-Ray players still play the format. I'm interested in the new Neil Young technology but it seems to have stalled somewhat. The record labels will never learn to cooperate. I worked in the music biz for 25 years & the corporate greed & short sightedness did it in. MP3's etc. just aren't the same. I guess for the majority in our instant gratification society, sound quality just isn't that big an issue.

Date: July 12, 2013 15:12

The nice thing with the 2002 SACD's is the music on the SACD layer is not "limited", ie you get a full dynamic range. On the CD layer the music has been limited to get a louder sound.

About Neil Young music in HD : all of his recent albums have been released on DVD-audio or blu-ray-audio and they're really worth the purchase if you're into HD music.

Date: July 12, 2013 15:18

I got Psychedelic Pill on Blu-Ray audio. It is awesome! Especially the extra "song" Horseback. I was talking about Pono (?). His hi quality download system. I also have "On the Beach" DVD audio. That one was something of a holy grail for me for years. It is a masterpiece.

Date: July 12, 2013 15:43

A couple of old albums were released on DVD audio such as Harvest, On The Beach, American Stars 'n Bars... Hard to find but really great sounding.
Also worth getting on blu-ray is 2012 Americana album. A whole different experience from the regular CD.

I think the "Pono" is a portable audio player device that can play blu-ray quality audio. I'm not sure if we'll ever see it in stores though...

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: July 12, 2013 16:32

Buy it on Amazon.co.uk super price...

The DTS sound is perfect, well must to say have three audio options:

English: LPCM 2.0 (96kHz, 24-bit)
English: DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 (96kHz, 24-bit)
English: Dolby TrueHD 2.0 (96kHz, 24-bit)

really worth it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-12 16:34 by rogerriffin.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1756
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home