Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Blues guitarist Ana Popovic covers Rain Fall Down
Posted by: satisfaction2 ()
Date: July 23, 2013 18:06

I saw her in Dortmund too and in the last 3 years 5 or 6 concerts!
Ana gets better and better.

If anyone has the chance to see a concert, GO!

Re: Ana Popovic-Rain Fall Down
Date: July 23, 2013 18:21

seitan
jazzbass
seitan
More Hot Rocks
MartinB
I am not crazy about this type of guitar playing.

It goes with the song. You have to play with what fits the song. That's what makes a good song great. Not the what I wanna play mentality.

I agree, You have to play with what fits the song and she should know better - this is a great example of complete talentless moron finding a guitar and destroying a decent song - this sucks big time !!
She butchering and destroying a perfect song with that horrible guitar playing of hers.

She lacks talent, grace and sense of style - absolutely horrible, the worst Stones cover version in years, I would rather listen to my dentist drilling my teeth.

Sorry dude, it's ok to not like her music or playing style, but for you to call her talentless proves you are just straight up retarded.

If she had talent - she wouldnt be playing covers. She´d be writing her own songs- but she lacks talent to write a decent song, so she's doing Stones cover instead..and failing badly. So no - sorry, she needs to prove herself before she can step outside of the cover band karaoke bar situation.

Sometimes - but not often - she covers a song. Same procedure with covering as the Stones.
Where is the problem?

She writes her own songs. She has 8 albums. The last 3 albums are very good.
I like most the album "Blind For Love".
The newest album has a tuch of Soul Music and 80`s style. The other albums have more "rock and blues".

Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: July 24, 2013 01:32

gagi
JJackFl
Gagi, ovi ništa ne kapiraju, a ni neznaju ko je Ana. Nevredi....

Izgleda..A Ana przi bolje od nekih muskaraca...

pretty impressive guitarplay there with her guitar sounding comfortably distorted. thought she played to much, ie overplayed Buddies singing from time to time. that is not good, imo. never overshadow the singer I think, you must only fill in, when the singer is not singing, cover his ass so to speak. Agree ?

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: July 24, 2013 01:36

gagi
JJackFl

pretty impressive guitarplay there with her guitar sounding comfortably distorted. thought she played to much, ie overplayed Buddies singing from time to time. that is not good, imo. never overshadow the singer I think, you must only fill in, when the singer is not singing, cover his ass so to speak. Agree ?

No, she doesn't play too much IMO, she's very good.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: July 24, 2013 02:05

seitan
jazzbass
seitan
More Hot Rocks
MartinB
I am not crazy about this type of guitar playing.

It goes with the song. You have to play with what fits the song. That's what makes a good song great. Not the what I wanna play mentality.

I agree, You have to play with what fits the song and she should know better - this is a great example of complete talentless moron finding a guitar and destroying a decent song - this sucks big time !!
She butchering and destroying a perfect song with that horrible guitar playing of hers.

She lacks talent, grace and sense of style - absolutely horrible, the worst Stones cover version in years, I would rather listen to my dentist drilling my teeth.

Sorry dude, it's ok to not like her music or playing style, but for you to call her talentless proves you are just straight up retarded.

If she had talent - she wouldnt be playing covers. She´d be writing her own songs- but she lacks talent to write a decent song, so she's doing Stones cover instead..and failing badly. So no - sorry, she needs to prove herself before she can step outside of the cover band karaoke bar situation.

Ok, you've solidified your status as a straight up retard. Ana has 6 studio CDs of mostly all original material. Get a clue sped. You may now disappear never to be heard from again.

Date: July 24, 2013 02:11

gagi
JJackFl

Agree!

saw her first 2006, breathtakin' (being runner-up blues guitar player of the year behind Joe Bonamassa)
saw her again 2011, losin' something
saw the above vid: lack of respect towards Buddy, ABSOLUTELY

Could have been an enrichment regarding the guitarplaying-hyper-thing, but kind of lost it (changed band members in the wrong direction, my opinion) ...

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: July 24, 2013 02:38

TimeWaitsforNooooOne
gagi
JJackFl

Agree!

saw her first 2006, breathtakin' (being runner-up blues guitar player of the year behind Joe Bonamassa)
saw her again 2011, losin' something
saw the above vid: lack of respect towards Buddy, ABSOLUTELY

Could have been an enrichment regarding the guitarplaying-hyper-thing, but kind of lost it (changed band members in the wrong direction, my opinion) ...

I've seen her several times over the years and these observations are spot on. My guess is she feels blues records don't sell, (she's right) so she's trying for more of a pop sound. Gimme the old shit.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: July 24, 2013 18:19

99% Agree

Possibly someone will find a quote on this: BB King has stated many times that the reason he doesn't play guitar when he's singing is because he views his guitar parts as a similar to a conversation with the vocal. When he sings, it's his voice, when the guitar "sings" it's Lucielle's voice and neither should "talk" over the other. Believe me, he does a better job explaining than I do!

For the most part I tend to agree that, unless carefully arranged, multiple melodies can tend to get messy if allowed to progress to far. A bit of simultaneous vocal & instrumental melodic improv can work during an outro or intro but it can also get pretty tedious as well. I prefer "call and response" or a dialog between instruments.

TimeWaitsforNooooOne & jazzbass: Thank you for putting into words what my ears have been thinking over the course of Ana's last two releases. Between TWFNO's last line and jb's last two sentences, y'all nailed my thoughts. Would either of you have any insight as to the changes coming as a result of Ana wanting to try and "cross over" as opposed to Management/Record Company teams "pushing" her in that direction? Based on the last two album covers, I'd say that someone on the team is most definately trying to push her looks to the front far more than they have seemed to in the past. Hate to think that she's going to fall into the category of "acts I should have seen before they started turning into business opportunities". I've never seen her live and, like jazzbass, am firmly in the "gimme the old shit" Ana, category.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: October 21, 2013 17:21

gagi
She's one of the best female guitar players...

She's amazing - saw her and her very talented band this past Saturday night. Gah! Cosmic shredding. She did "Rain Fall Down" and a very epic instrumental tribute to Stevie Ray Vaughn.

I agree that she needs better original songs but hell, you could have said that same about Stevie Ray and Buddy Guy and Jeff Beck etc. It's true of many musos - Edward Van Halen even! Technical virtuosity and good song-feel don't always walk hand in hand.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: October 21, 2013 17:32

thumbs up

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: October 21, 2013 20:23

Ana Popovic's cover version is good - but doesn't in anyway surpass the original, which was one of the highlights on ABB (and latterday Stones). RFD is funky and mesmerizing and a latterday classic to me.

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: October 21, 2013 20:32

Nothing wrong with her bootlegs either.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-21 20:41 by svt22.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: October 21, 2013 21:30

November 14th in MOD Hasselt BTW

Date: October 21, 2013 21:51

Ana Popovic & Band Köln - Greensclub (Rheinergiestadion) November 16th 2013

A MUST TO GO......

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1108
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home