Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Last Waltz - Stones Style
Posted by: Jackass ()
Date: April 5, 2005 20:32

Even though there are those on this site who refuse to admit it this is probably it as far as the Stones go with this next tour and album. Creativity has dried up with very little in new material over the last twenty years or so. Age is definetely a factor and the fact is Mick will soon look pretty silly. So why not bow out in style a-la-Band and have a final concert at the end of the tour filmed by a famous director with tons of guests and have a huge celebration of over 40 years of being the Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the world? Ok, they don't like to do things that have already been done but they could put their own spin on it. What do you all think?

Re: The Last Waltz - Stones Style
Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: April 5, 2005 21:08

I would love it! Espescially if i'm at the concert ;-)

Although i think this the way to end it officially for some reason i don't think the'll do it. Can't tell you why because it seems the obvious way to go.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: April 5, 2005 21:16

i used to be totally against such a thought - but I'm leaning more in this direction. I think it's rather inevitable that this will be the last (at least full-scale) tour - and maybe there's nothing wrong with so advertising it. But, I don't think that's Mick and Keith's style, so it won't happen.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: April 5, 2005 21:38

i'm not for it either.. i hate the last tour stuff.... like chuck berry, muddy waters, elvis, etc....i want them to go out rocking..
i do believe this will be their last big tour..not because they can't make great records, (they will with their new one) but with their age.. how long before keith's, micks, heart gives out? sad but they aren't getting any younger.

i think anyone coming to see them will think in their own minds that this could be the last time? i think the stones will want to put out their best ever new album..keeping in mind it could be their last one.. i think we will see a 2 c.d.'s of new stuff..(not really)... but i hope so.. anyway to sell tickets the stones will have to 1. make a great album and 2, put on a show to end all shows and have it aired on tv..then start the tour!
i think the stones will pull it off...

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: April 5, 2005 21:56

How about a "Historical" Concert - bring back Bill & Mick Taylor for (1) night!!!
do songs from Sticky Fingers, Exile on Main Street, Goats Head Soup & IOR&R???

Tell me that wouldn't go over BIG and sell lot's of DVD's!!!! MLC

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: April 5, 2005 22:10

Maybe the idea isn't that bad and the last show of the tour will be a special one, as a sort of unofficial "last time" (could be a great opener for the next tour), but they'll anounce it as such. Just to keep all options open for future perfomances, even without a huge worldtour.

I would like them to do a few shows each year, but I'd much rather see them put some efforts in releasing new material every one or two years. And I do like the idea of inviting Taylor and Wyman for some guest appearances (Sort of a "Rolling Stones & Friends"), but the odds are offcourse against it all...

Edward

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-04-05 22:13 by mr edward.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: April 6, 2005 00:58

mr edward Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >
> I would like them to do a few shows each year, >
>

the stones do these tours for the money, period. no way they'll do a few shows a year. it'll be full-scale or nothing.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 6, 2005 01:00

Jackass Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Even though there are those on this site who
> refuse to admit it this is probably it as far as
> the Stones go with this next tour and album.
> Creativity has dried up with very little in new
> material over the last twenty years or so. Age is
> definetely a factor and the fact is Mick will soon
> look pretty silly. So why not bow out in style
> a-la-Band and have a final concert at the end of
> the tour filmed by a famous director with tons of
> guests and have a huge celebration of over 40
> years of being the Greatest Rock and Roll Band in
> the world? Ok, they don't like to do things that
> have already been done but they could put their
> own spin on it. What do you all think?

how many of their ordinary fans would be able to afford tickets for such a show?

You can bet any show like that would be aimed almost exclusively at the sort of people who would think nothing of paying about $5,000 for a ticket. Dont kid yourself otherwise.

The Stones will never (IMO) officially announce a last tour. They'll end with a whimper due to either a death or because at least one member of the band is no longer capable of performing anymore. Basically, they're in a position where they dont KNOW how to end this (they're past the stage now where its a big deal for a band to play into middle age), so they'll keep going until mortality takes over

Forget the Band-Last Waltz scenario. It'll end like Led Zeppelin did. You'll switch on the news some morning and find out one of them has croaked it, and then a short time later the remaining members will announce that they dont feel they can carry on without their deceased colleague. Roll credits.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: April 6, 2005 01:48

I think gazza is right, if i had too guess it would probably happen
just the way gazza has described it, i dread thhat day but i know it is coming

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: April 6, 2005 03:05

I would not want it to end in any o0ther way than an ungainly one. To have a nice Goodbye concert all tied up with ribbons, with guests running up and bowing would be terrible. It would not suit the Stones. Wyman and Taylor showing up and tottering up there with a Les Paul and play some obligatory solo....brrrr!
I hope it's as ugly and embarrassing as possible. One of them gets tied up in court over a tax evasion dispute, another probably passes away. Jagger and keith decide to never talk again, or Charlie steals Patti or even a daughter from Keith....

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 6, 2005 03:38

Mick has often mentioned the expensive of trucking the Stones and all the equipment around the world, and that he would love to set up in one city or site and the fans go to them. So maybe as age becomes a bigger enemy we'll all be making the pilgrimage to Stones Mecca to worship and see them perform.

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: April 6, 2005 04:47

Full hit, Rockman... Afraid so.
Hope Mick doesnt read that:
"LIVE LUX on Devil´s Island" "Huuh-huuh... Huuh-huuh..."
...Ferry/Sea Crusing Fee included

...- Or (better) Live at Cap Ferrat, Exile Revival Tour 05/06... ? eye rolling smiley

Posted by: stonedINvirginia ()
Date: April 6, 2005 04:58

I think an announced final "world tour" that clearly indicates that future performances will be infrequent (that is rare) is definitely possible. In this way, the band can have a farewell of sorts: a huge tour, a pay-per-view special, commemorative DVD, nice merchandising revenue.

At the same time, the band leaves the door open to special performances (ala SARS or pay-per-view event), Vegas (sorry,but that's the Mecca spoken of that can support it), maybe "acoustic evenings" at special venues (ex. Carnegie Hall), and whatever else Mick devises to make dough and keep the blood flowing for their final years.

Bottomline...they'll find a way to bow out in more than way (both big and gradual) and do so much more gracefully than suggested by some previous posters.

Date: April 6, 2005 05:08

Believe me; I am on stonedINvirginia:s line. Was just kiddin around
with Devils Island. Fortunately Mick doesnt steer the ship all by himself.
And I want to hope and believe that the Stones not all of a sudden no longer fool around
and misbehave or stop act like they were young. It would probably not happen.
I do hope that Ron can manage his drug/booze problems; and that Keefster not is fallin
too far out during this tour:'cause if they dont and does (resp.) some of them will very likely
land 6 ft. beneath the clay.

Posted by: Milo Yammbag ()
Date: April 6, 2005 08:03

I personally can't stand how many bands proclaimed "The final Tour" and they end up being full of shit. I dont think the Stones should ever announce such a thing.

I still feel they have music to offer that is of good quality, if you can accept it for who the band is today. Thats how I look at it, I dont compare albums because in a sense you cant. Each album is a chapter in the bands travels, some "chapters" may be better than others...its personal preference.

They should keep performing and recording as long as they FEEL like doing it. The band never sets themselves up to take a big spill, the tours / shows will be adjusted to work to their strengths as time goes on. They are aging gracefully in a sense, Mick is not running all over the place, Keith is playing more mature songs (although all of them should forget about the giant video screens and dont force any "moves", I swear the camera people tell them "jump around for us"). I am curious to see how Ronnie does this time around. I saw them several times during LICKS and his playing was good, although my friends across the pond pointed out some shoddy shows by KR & RW (EXHAUSTION?)during the Euro portion of tour.

All in all, they still are excellent showman and put on a great show, that is a fact. Looking forward to a new album. I just hope its honest and what they want to do. If thats the case I think there is still potential for a gem.

Milo, NYC
Now I need you more than ever

Date: April 6, 2005 09:19

"So why not bow out in style a-la-Band and have a final concert at the end of the tour filmed by a famous director with tons of guests and have a huge celebration of over 40 years of being the Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the world?"

They shoulda done that at Altamont.

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: April 6, 2005 13:42

I agree with Gazza it'll end when the reaper calls.

A Last Waltz scenario sounds great however they would charge high prices for tickets and probably telecast (which means they can get pay per view bucks quicker than waiting for all the editing, sound etc for a cinema release).

Any way when they have guests on stage it has never really been that wonderful for me, not a musical event more a bit of fun. And when you hear the results (cray at Miami 94, or the broadcast version of Corrina with Taj) it's not so impressive.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 6, 2005 14:39

a band as big and as legendary as the Stones doesnt NEED "special guests" at a concert to make it interesting

Posted by: Rorty ()
Date: April 6, 2005 15:28

"Any way when they have guests on stage it has never really been that wonderful for me, not a musical event more a bit of fun. And when you hear the results (cray at Miami 94, or the broadcast version of Corrina with Taj) it's not so impressive."

I agree. It might be a nice event to have 'someone' on stage, but musically it usually - or always - turns boring and forced. The guests don't seem to know how to 'behave' (take the spotlight from Mick Jagger or Richards, everybody's idols?)and are seemingly uncomfortable and the Stones take some autopilot approach, and play it safe. (I have in my mind mostly S. Crow & Ac/Dc in Licks, R. Cray & Bo Diddley in Miami, Taj Mahal in No Security, Clapton in Flashpoint). In each of those cases Jagger sounds and looks seemingly bored. Maybe there is no room (a spot) for outsiders. The Stones dynamics don't seem to allow that.

Anyway, if there need to be some guest, I would like to see Sir Paul to do a duet with Sir Mick... then the 'caliber' of the guest at least sounds right.. And for many - mostly pop historical - reasons that should be an event...

- Doxa

P.S. I haven't seen that Justin Timberlake appearence yet, and hopely never will be...

Date: April 6, 2005 18:12

I'd love to see a Last Waltz style DVD about the Stones, with guests, and backstage storytelling, etc, jam sessions...only NOT with any of the Robbie Robertson attitude. the way he seems to think the Band was all about him is irritating.
one other comment..its sad to say but of all the Stones I'd say Jagger is the only one healthy enough to keep performing if he wanted to tour, in his later years, like in 5 years or so...
God Bless the Rolling Stones!

Date: April 6, 2005 19:54

Still, I can see fore my inner sight Keithster and Chawley travel around in their 80´s. Ronnie is another matter.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2053
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home