Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: If New Album Happens What Do You Expect?
Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: July 5, 2013 23:31

Rip This
I'd like something that sounds like the Stones... they need a producer who'll mix it up with them in the studio....even though Don Was gets kudos for pushing Jagger to give him Doom & Gloom

Doom and Gloom is a shite song. In my opinion anyway , no Kudos for Was.

jeroen

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: July 6, 2013 05:06

corriecas
Rip This
I'd like something that sounds like the Stones... they need a producer who'll mix it up with them in the studio....even though Don Was gets kudos for pushing Jagger to give him Doom & Gloom

Doom and Gloom is a shite song. In my opinion anyway , no Kudos for Was.

jeroen

agreed. and don was shouldn't be allowed near a studio with the stones.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 6, 2013 06:57

The last thing I want is for them to 'Sound Like The Stones'. I would want them to be the Rolling Stones ala 2013, I'm just not sure they didn't stop advancing artistically a long time ago. In other words, as there was a 1972 Stones that was different from a 1978 or even a 1989 Stones, the 2013 Stones may not be noticeably different from the 1994, 1997, or 2005 Stones.

They first tried to 'Sound Like The Stones' in 1994 on Voodoo Lounge, as opposed to being the Stones. Mick tried to pull them ahead a little bit on Bridges, but by then he and Keith were both solo acts, with little writing cooperation between them. And A Bigger Bang is mostly rehashed riffs, except for Rough Justice.

I expect a couple good songs that I can tolerate more than once or twice. I do like Doom And Gloom and consider One More Shot a Z side, tossed off while Keith was constipated. The bass will be horrible, wait, inconsequential. I believe Charlie is the only one who has not played bass on a Stones cut yet, so there's that to look forward to.

The reason I'm pessimistic is called history. They put no effort into getting out there and finding an interesting keyboard player or bassist. They are so mired in 'comfort' in who they work with that it seems more important to them to have people around them they know rather than produce a great result. They need some shaking up and that seems to be the last thing on their agenda.

They must not give a shit about putting out great albums anymore. The very act of putting one out every decade seems to satisfy them. I still say the Rolling Stones, the real deal Rolling Stones, ended as a recording unit after Steel Wheels. There are no peaks since then. Well, actually the peaks were duded up cuts from their golden era, ala Plundered My Soul. Those are the best cuts since 1989. And they don't need to sound like 'Golden Era' Stones on a new album. We have the Golden Era. It's intact. If they're not going to do something different, they don't even have to bother.

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: July 6, 2013 07:10

I just hope they all get into a studio together,not Mick recording a song (or album)on his computer and emailing it to the rest of the band to put their touches on.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 6, 2013 07:13

We'll listen and chat about it here non-stop for a few months pre-and-post release and then forget it ever existed. The release will feature a few Stones-by-numbers efforts, a topical and trendy track-or-two by Jagger and a couple of Keith crooners. It'll be average at best.

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: July 6, 2013 08:42

If they do I imagine in ten years well be having an Appreciation Thread for it!

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Posted by: leatherjacket ()
Date: July 6, 2013 10:43

All kinds of complaints from all smart asses here on the board...:-)

Date: July 6, 2013 11:08

leatherjacket

Thank you. I appreciate the evaluation of a professional.

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: July 6, 2013 12:19

Firstly I hope they will invite Mick Taylor to studio.
(Even though Keith has said "MT is great on stage and sucks on studio" as everybody can hear on albums like SF...)

Secondly I hope they will invite Bobby Keys to studio and other horn musicians, I really like the way the horns were used in Exile.

Thirdly I hope that if they will make a new record they will make it with a real patience, especially Jagger! Not just a record for a record's sake but a real effort on songwriting, trying to really achieve something, they should make it with a serious attitude (I mean with a serious feeling involved in the songs like in SF and EOMS) and not make it too fast, they should use enough time for the process, not some half-serious country songs or half-copies like Out of Control or Anybody Seen My Baby, although the latter one is their best song in 30 years per se, or songs without any real melody. They could make 15 decent songs and pick up only the best 10 of them to the record. 10 good songs including 2-3 really good ones and that would be just great. Not a single filler song on the album, please!

Posted by: leatherjacket ()
Date: July 6, 2013 12:46

24FPS
leatherjacket

Thank you. I appreciate the evaluation of a professional.

I know...I'm not a memmber of the "club" with that quote...:-)

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 6, 2013 14:08

Let them be the first band that release a new record that they recorded only live ....so no new bad over produced studio album

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 6, 2013 14:27

.... to be thrown against the wall like a crutch less rag-doll ... Yeah that'll do

ROCKMAN

Date: July 6, 2013 14:39

Valeswood
micawber
A lame Jagger solo try with guest musicians Matt Clifford, Chuck Leavell, Charlie Watts, Ron Wood, Waddy Wachtel, Lisa Fischer, Bobby Keys, Darryl Jones,and last but not least Keith Richards, in this order of importance.

Not to forget one slow and very very sad Keith ballad - ('I can't get no) inspiration - and one or two Keith-Songs with recycled 5-string-open-g-riffs. And what's important: all that knocked together quick and dirty, without passion, fun or love, in two studio days as they can't stand each other for longer in 5 years. Please add some more uninspired solos by Ron and most important: a sloppy poppy slimy production by Don Was.

All that in some very special very limited and different editions to squeeze every possible cent out of the remaining fans (f.ex. every song on ist own cd will make the super deluxe edition for, let's say, 100 Euros. Including a free ticket nosebleeds for the 2021 Lower Manhattan Tour, for 800 Euros.

They stopped being relevant musically 1981. That will never come back again. I can easily live without another big disappointment and rip-off by our beloved band.

I would expect a lot of moaning on this board typified by the above comments before a new sound has even been heard. Of course they are not musically relevant (who is over the age of 30?) but this does not mean they could not knock out a half decent album of new material

I just don't agree with the defeated "of course' expression. as in "OF COURSE they are not musically relevant". Yes - it gets a lot more difficult to be relevant;' with age, and esp. in case of the Stones all the history and baggage. But it is, and it should be possible.
Neil Young, when he really puts his mind to it, can surprise and plow on. Nick Cave, IMO one of the most brilliant people out there hasn't stopped evolving and learning.

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: July 6, 2013 14:59

We must remember that they were very creative and made a huge catalog of great songs during the first 20 years, it's only natural that that kind of drive just can't go on forever, I think that they also worked really hard back in 1963-1983 and maybe they think that they don't have to work so hard anymore and be so creative anymore, they just haven't got the need to show anything to anyone anymore.

I sometimes have VH1 Classic channel on my tv and they are playing these music videos of numerous artists that were very successful in 80s or 90s and most of those artist have disappeared totally from the scene and when you think that Let It Bleed was the 10th studio album of the Stones in 1969, I mean WOW, that really puts the things in perspective and Undercover was still a very decent album in 1983, they have worked so hard and they have been so creative, maybe we should Have Mercy on them!

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: July 6, 2013 17:08

rollingon
We must remember that they were very creative and made a huge catalog of great songs during the first 20 years, it's only natural that that kind of drive just can't go on forever, I think that they also worked really hard back in 1963-1983 and maybe they think that they don't have to work so hard anymore and be so creative anymore, they just haven't got the need to show anything to anyone anymore.

I sometimes have VH1 Classic channel on my tv and they are playing these music videos of numerous artists that were very successful in 80s or 90s and most of those artist have disappeared totally from the scene and when you think that Let It Bleed was the 10th studio album of the Stones in 1969, I mean WOW, that really puts the things in perspective and Undercover was still a very decent album in 1983, they have worked so hard and they have been so creative, maybe we should Have Mercy on them!

thumbs up

Posted by: amg077 ()
Date: July 6, 2013 19:28

24FPS
The last thing I want is for them to 'Sound Like The Stones'. I would want them to be the Rolling Stones ala 2013, I'm just not sure they didn't stop advancing artistically a long time ago. In other words, as there was a 1972 Stones that was different from a 1978 or even a 1989 Stones, the 2013 Stones may not be noticeably different from the 1994, 1997, or 2005 Stones.

They first tried to 'Sound Like The Stones' in 1994 on Voodoo Lounge, as opposed to being the Stones. Mick tried to pull them ahead a little bit on Bridges, but by then he and Keith were both solo acts, with little writing cooperation between them. And A Bigger Bang is mostly rehashed riffs, except for Rough Justice.

I expect a couple good songs that I can tolerate more than once or twice. I do like Doom And Gloom and consider One More Shot a Z side, tossed off while Keith was constipated. The bass will be horrible, wait, inconsequential. I believe Charlie is the only one who has not played bass on a Stones cut yet, so there's that to look forward to.

The reason I'm pessimistic is called history. They put no effort into getting out there and finding an interesting keyboard player or bassist. They are so mired in 'comfort' in who they work with that it seems more important to them to have people around them they know rather than produce a great result. They need some shaking up and that seems to be the last thing on their agenda.

They must not give a shit about putting out great albums anymore. The very act of putting one out every decade seems to satisfy them. I still say the Rolling Stones, the real deal Rolling Stones, ended as a recording unit after Steel Wheels. There are no peaks since then. Well, actually the peaks were duded up cuts from their golden era, ala Plundered My Soul. Those are the best cuts since 1989. And they don't need to sound like 'Golden Era' Stones on a new album. We have the Golden Era. It's intact. If they're not going to do something different, they don't even have to bother.

I totally agree with you, I want the Stones to take risks and not try to sound just like classic stones songs, they should be more experimental and have an infulence of today trends.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 6, 2013 19:36

Rip This

What? How does that even make sense?

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: July 6, 2013 20:17

The stones make little money off of new studio recordings these days other than to extract more money from fans by including them on greatest hits releases.
Why not release their new songs free of charge then
It would only increase their exposure and demand for their real product, live concerts.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: July 6, 2013 21:08

One thing I'm tentative about is that I loved the "new" songs on 40 LICKS and was looking forward to that same vibe running through A BIGGER BANG. But ABB was less than I expected, so I wished they'd continued through the 40 LICKS sessions in Paris until they polished a full new album's worth of material (they said the tour got in the way). They claimed that in Paris they recorded an album's worth of material, so for ABB I thought they'd just go back and polish up what they already had. But they reconvened in the Loire Valley for whole new sessions and ABB. (I love a lot on A BIGGER BANG, but it basically had a double-album's number of songs, so it allowed for some klunkers alongside some great ones.)

So now I love Doom and Gloom and One More Shot and hope they go back in the studio with that same vibe, and don't let the tour have "interrupted" that vibe like with the 40 Licks tour.

I know some fans don't like the new songs on 40 LICKS, but I do. I was just this morning exercising to the single edit of Don't Stop.

Date: July 6, 2013 21:43

Title5Take1
I know some fans don't like the new songs on 40 LICKS, but I do. I was just this morning exercising to the single edit of Don't Stop.

Well, I guess you can find fans for every song, every album. Personally I can't imagine listening to the 4 new songs on Forty Licks ever again. They have about as much pull as listening to the last half of Voodoo Lounge. But then again, I love Indian Girl....

Date: July 7, 2013 05:33

24FPS

I still say the Rolling Stones, the real deal Rolling Stones, ended as a recording unit after Steel Wheels. There are no peaks since then. Well, actually the peaks were duded up cuts from their golden era, ala Plundered My Soul. Those are the best cuts since 1989. And they don't need to sound like 'Golden Era' Stones on a new album. We have the Golden Era. It's intact. If they're not going to do something different, they don't even have to bother.

Disagree. They *definitely* started to "Sound Like The Stones" on Steel Wheels, which is a total shite record IMHO. Weakest album they ever did, although all four new cuts on 40 Licks were thousands of times worse. It's slick, overproduced, and just them trying to second guess themselves and give a variety of styles they've already done a million times better in the past. Some parts are downright embarrassing--"Blinded By Love," for instance. No argument regarding them trying to "Sound Like The Stones" on VL, this time with a more "organic" sounding production, but it featured a *few* better songs as did Bigger Bang. Bridges was definitely the sole album since the mid 80s where you could hear the Stones in an adventurous mood . . . Mick and Keith may have fought like crazy during that period but it produced a solid, if not quite standout, work. Old Gods, Almost Dead, which is a fantastic bio of the band btw, realizes that the album was "accidental art." I still prefer anything up through and including Dirty Work to anything since.

Date: July 7, 2013 05:36

24FPS
Title5Take1

Well, I guess you can find fans for every song, every album. Personally I can't imagine listening to the 4 new songs on Forty Licks ever again. They have about as much pull as listening to the last half of Voodoo Lounge. But then again, I love Indian Girl....

Yick! "Indian Girl!" Worst Stones song of all time! Then again I also dislike the 4 songs on 40 Licks . . . those 4 and "IG" are the top 5 worst for me. Utterly embarrassing. I LOVE Emotional Rescue but wish "Claudine" was in "IG"s place.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: July 7, 2013 13:23

This is my opinion about a new album:
[www.iorr.org]

Date: July 7, 2013 17:43

KRiffhard
This is my opinion about a new album:
[www.iorr.org]

In some perverse way I feel if Mick found out we really liked this stuff he wouldn't release any more of it. I hope we get more.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 7, 2013 19:46

CanYouHearTheMusic
24FPS
Title5Take1

Yick! "Indian Girl!" Worst Stones song of all time! Then again I also dislike the 4 songs on 40 Licks . . . those 4 and "IG" are the top 5 worst for me. Utterly embarrassing. I LOVE Emotional Rescue but wish "Claudine" was in "IG"s place.

Streets Of Love makes Indian Girl sound like Gimme Shelter.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: July 8, 2013 03:28

GasLightStreet
Rip This

What? How does that even make sense?

you need a remedial class in Stones history....Doom & Gloom wasn't the first song Jagger submitted for Grrr...Don Was asked Jagger for another song and Jagger acquiesced.

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: July 8, 2013 04:01

If a new album happens, I would bet that it is not very good!

I would be happier with something live from the 50th anniversary.

The days of the Jagger and Richard writing music was done with with the release of Tatoo You, although a bit of a come back was shown with Steel Wheels.

With all this talk about "Streets of Love", both in this thread and elsewhere on this board, I had to go to YouTube and find it, not being familiar with it in any way whatsoever..... My opinion is that it is horrible. I couldn't listen to more than 30 seconds. I will admit that Indian Girl was the worst track on Emotional Rescue, but it is in a whole different league, quality wise, compared to Streets of Love.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 8, 2013 06:23

Hate all four on 40 licks, (Please Stop!), hate OMS. D&G is good enough. I think there is something to the problem of the CD format......if you pared VL, B2B and ABB down to 10-12 songs, the low points would be much easier to live with. Although there seems to be an abundance of out takes, they're not churning out 40 rough demos per session anymore. I think this is where the lack of interaction is most readily heard. Also, those old sessions were for 10 song albums. Mathematically, that means they should be working up 60-70 ideas for a16 song CD, ain't happening.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 8, 2013 06:56

GasLightStreet
CanYouHearTheMusic
24FPS
Title5Take1

Streets Of Love makes Indian Girl sound like Gimme Shelter.

I like Indian Girl too.

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: July 8, 2013 11:16

How about an EP release in the fall and spring? Record 3 to 5 songs at a time and put them on iTunes, vinyl etc.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1435
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home