Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Mick Jagger: Rolling Stones will take a 'bit of a break' after London gigs
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 5, 2013 04:02

Good Lawd...

The Taylorites are already complaining on the pure speculation that
their prodigy that quit the band forty years ago MAY be snubbed...

Who beside me isn't surprised?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 5, 2013 04:05

Can they trusted with break? Last time they took one it was 5 years before we saw them again.

Date: July 5, 2013 04:24

24FPS
Can they trusted with break? Last time they took one it was 5 years before we saw them again.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Like "No don't stop now; you'll never get it back up..."

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 5, 2013 04:34

Palace Revolution 2000
24FPS

That's exactly what I was thinking. Like "No don't stop now; you'll never get it back up..."

Every band needs a break and a return to their home life. In between the ABB tour and this latest jaunt, they came to terms with the fact that they have reached the age where they could no longer do these 2-year blow-out tours then take 2 or more years off.

They are simply drawing the maximum possible quality from their remaining productive years. A batch of shows, then a break, then another batch of shows--it actually gives fans more of an opportunity to see them more often in a shorter amount of time.

It's also a plus for the band because with just a 2-month rather than 2-year break in between shows, it takes less rehearsal time to keep the playing up to par. Rehearsals are shorter and less grueling, and the band keeps itself continuously in shape, which is even more important at the age they are at now--a perpetually well-oiled machine.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: July 5, 2013 04:41

latebloomer
Jeez, can you guys be any more pessimistic? Why don't we wait and see what they come up with, then you can complain all you want.

The thing in the world Mick jagger is best at is enigmatic public statements that reveal nothing.

Why is it OK for people to read into his statements all sorts of stuff about new Stones records, tours, etc., but not OK for others to read into his statement something you don't like.

Most likely, MJ does not know, at the moment, if the Stones will play another show after Hyde Park, if they will record again, or not. It seems like they decide these things in small bits. Yet the geniuses here know before Mick does not only that the Stones are recording a new album, but who will be on it and when it will be released. Amazing.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 5, 2013 05:48

I'd say your half right. Mick talks constantly and doesn't say anything. At this age, it would be foolish to plan too far ahead.....there's plenty of coconut trees! However, if they tour in the fall, they know it now. The Stones are a massive machine, and even 18 date tours take a great deal of planning and logistics. They travel with a small city, venues must be booked, ticket arrangements, after all, they're not a bar band.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: July 5, 2013 06:44

Palace Revolution 2000
24FPS

Right. Months of touring? 21 shows in 2 months after 6 years off? The more time they take off. The harder it is to gear Stones Inc back up.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: July 5, 2013 10:28

my understanding is that getting the shows insured is a pretty big deal. prince rupert talks about this in the book - how as they got older, the insurance issue become tougher and tougher. and that was last decade.

they are probably only insured for "small" tours and have regular medical exams. especially after the collision with the coconut.

Date: July 5, 2013 10:34

Marhsall
"I'm always writing new songs so hopefully we'll do new songs one of these days soon." (mick)

i know we all tend to read too much into their words, but this sentence is disturbing in that it's so dismissive of the songwriting process and the songs. he hasn't written a memorable song in over 30 years and he says "i'm always writing new songs so hopefully we'll do new songs one of these days soon".

clearly he doesn't feel that a lot is on the line when it comes to releasing a new song - that's a bad sign IMO. plus, the goal isn't simply writing a new song. the goal is to expressive oneself in a unique, creative, meaningful way.

i'm quite sure that when they talked about writing songs back in the salad days, they expressed some amount of excitement and having something at stake. mick and keith have both talked about the pressure of writing a hit, of topping their latest song, of topping the beatles, etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-05 10:35 by sonomastone.

Posted by: Torres ()
Date: July 5, 2013 10:46

sonomastone
Marhsall
"I'm always writing new songs so hopefully we'll do new songs one of these days soon." (mick)

i know we all tend to read too much into their words, but this sentence is disturbing in that it's so dismissive of the songwriting process and the songs. he hasn't written a memorable song in over 30 years and he says "i'm always writing new songs so hopefully we'll do new songs one of these days soon".

clearly he doesn't feel that a lot is on the line when it comes to releasing a new song - that's a bad sign IMO. plus, the goal isn't simply writing a new song. the goal is to expressive oneself in a unique, creative, meaningful way.

i'm quite sure that when they talked about writing songs back in the salad days, they expressed some amount of excitement and having something at stake. mick and keith have both talked about the pressure of writing a hit, of topping their latest song, of topping the beatles, etc.

Who's goal? Yours? The bands? Musicians and artists in general?

The assumption that there is a universal purpose and significance in a new song release is what raises peoples expectations to new work. I think Mick has a much more down to earth interpretation of song writing.

Date: July 5, 2013 10:50

Torres
sonomastone
Marhsall

The assumption that there is a universal purpose and significance in a new song release is what raises peoples expectations to new work. I think Mick has a much more down to earth interpretation of song writing.

fair enough. but i think that only supports my overall point - don't expect the second coming of "let it bleed" or even "goats head soup" - the bar doesn't seem to be high.

Posted by: Torres ()
Date: July 5, 2013 11:11

sonomastone
Torres
sonomastone
Marhsall

fair enough. but i think that only supports my overall point - don't expect the second coming of "let it bleed" or even "goats head soup" - the bar doesn't seem to be high.

We sure agree on that thumbs up

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 5, 2013 11:19

Normally this means 5 years off and then a new record consisting of 38 oldies and 2 new ones. If we're lucky!

Date: July 5, 2013 11:24

Stoneage
Normally this means 5 years off and then a new record consisting of 38 oldies and 2 new ones. If we're lucky!

don't forget the inevitable live album, it's an opportunity for a "bonus" track, although whether we'd be lucky or not is arguable...

Posted by: RRMan03 ()
Date: July 5, 2013 13:19

Not this time.Announcement will come quick and after a short break it will roll on. New music. Lets be real. There is no catagory where they would get any airplay as they are not country,pop,hiphop, etc so what are they. They will only get short play before a tour and with 400 plus songs to chose from they could play a week and never play the same song twice but that not touring. ?Touring is the same or close to the same show each night because most of the crowd expects to hear certain songs.Now the freak diehard might remember something off side b from the 60's but not your 25-30 year old fan who is pay for the tickets.They want to hear the same songs every night plus minus 1 or 3 andwe do it again in 6 days. Long 2 year grind tours are for the young artist making 500 mil in 5 years and selling 1,000,000 tickets in 50 seconds.Touring is where the money is at. Why do you think all the 60 plus year old bands are on the road are going out soon. Big ticket prices equal big money.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2053
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home