Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Earls Court - one of London's most historic entertainment venues to be demolished
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 4, 2013 19:03

Sad news for Londoners and anyone who has memories of seeing the Stones, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, David Bowie, and many others there over the years - Earls Court is to be demolished.

Did anyone else see the Stones there in 76? I have many happy memories of seeing some of the best shows of my life there including Led Zeppelin in 75, Bowie in 78 and Pink Floyd's The Wall show in 80 and 81.

The Earls Court Exhibition Centre is to be demolished as part of new plans to create a 77-acre redevelopment site in Earls Court and West Kensington.

London mayor Boris Johnson sanctioned the demolition of the art deco building at a meeting today to make way for the redevelopment, which will create four ‘villages’, 7,500 high-end homes and 12,000 new jobs.

The west London venue is best known for hosting high-profile music events including the Brit awards and concerts from the likes of Pink Floyd.

Designed by architect C Howard Crane in 1937, the building is not listed despite attempts made by local campaign group Save Earls Court & Gibbs Green to get it registered with English Heritage.

Boris Johnson said he was “acutely aware of the concerns” raised by residents, but added he was in “no doubt” the redevelopment would have a positive effect on the local economy.

“I’m in no doubt that the development will provide a massive boost not just to this part of the capital, but to London’s wider community as well,” he said.

Tom Copley, Labour London assembly member, tweeted: “Very disappointed but not at all surprised that the Mayor has approved demolition of Earls Court Exhibition Centre…an appalling decision.”

Darren Johnson, Green Party London assembly member, added: “By backing this proposal, Boris Johnson is condemning this part of London into [being] a playground for the super-rich with mostly extortionately priced homes that will not help the vast majority of ordinary people.”

Developers Capco said in a statement: "We are pleased to receive the Great London's Authority's approval for the outline planning consent of the Earls Court Masterplan and the Section 106 agreement. The Earls Court project will deliver significant benefits to London.

"In addition the project will deliver investment in transport infrastructure, community, cultural, educational and health facilities as well as open green space in the form of a new park for London."

Earls Court is the second art deco building to be sanctioned for demolition by the Mayor after he announced plans to turn Walthamstow Greyhound Stadium into a housing estate last year.

Residents’ group Save Earls Court & Gibbs Green attempted to get the exhibition centre listed in 2006, but the architects surveying the building said it “did not merit listing”.

[www.independent.co.uk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-04 21:27 by Silver Dagger.

Re: Earls Court - one of London's most historic entertainment venues to be demolished
Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: July 4, 2013 19:17

Very sad, another of the most historic concertvenues soon gone.

Re: Earls Court - one of London's most historic entertainment venues to be demolished
Posted by: thecitadel ()
Date: July 4, 2013 19:55

my first stones gig - Earls Court in '76. sound was poor - and I blame the venue shape. so nostalgia but other venues are much better now

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: July 4, 2013 20:49

Yes, first night 21.5.'76......never seen so much denim in one place before or since, well maybe Knebworth, but then there were so many people there you couldn't see most of them anyway...........

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: July 5, 2013 00:43

Too bad. A lot of history in that place.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: July 5, 2013 01:44

I remember going there and Olympia in early '60's with my sister and Mum for a day out when the'Boys and Girls' Exhibition show was on.

It was a magical show every year,and always something differant. Never forgot it. winking smiley

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: July 5, 2013 01:49

Also, saw Dylan there in 1978. I spent the first half of the show trying to wake my brother up, "hey, it's Dylan, you're missing Bob Dylan"......he spent the second half trying to wake me up...................grinning smiley........we'd spent the afternoon sitting outside taking the advice of Rainy day woman................

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-05 15:14 by EddieByword.

Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: July 5, 2013 07:47

It's an awful venue. And with the 02 it's probably no longer needed. I won't miss it.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: July 5, 2013 07:53

BlackHat
It's an awful venue. And with the 02 it's probably no longer needed. I won't miss it.

Nope, neither will I. Good riddance to the sodding thing !

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: mr_c_ox ()
Date: July 5, 2013 12:15

Its kind of sad that its going but it is totally obsolete now. I saw a few shows here and the sound was never that good. I think the O2 is 100 times the music venue that Earls Court was, but Earls Court wasn't designed for concerts! Was easy to get to from my house though!

Date: July 5, 2013 13:23

I'm with you Silver D - saw the Stones there in '76 and also Pink Floyd's The Wall tour as well as many other shows......Genesis, Prince, Oasis, Paul McCartney. As the article says, the whole Earls Court area is being redeveloped and will be a huge improvement when it is finally completed.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: July 5, 2013 14:36

I've always wondered, who's Earl?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1782
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home