Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Mick Taylor on Gimmie Shelter
Date: July 17, 2013 11:18

LA 75 is indeed fantastic for the reasons you mentioned, Tony.

We get a wonderful, equally levelled interplay between Ronnie and Keith. For the solo, Ronnie turns it up, making the song dynamic, instead of a continous solo fest.

I love Keith's phrasing toward the ending. One of my all time favourite live versions.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: July 17, 2013 11:43

DandelionPowderman

We get a wonderful, equally levelled interplay between Ronnie and Keith. For the solo, Ronnie turns it up, making the song dynamic, instead of a continous solo fest.

I love Keith's phrasing toward the ending. One of my all time favourite live versions.

Their best yet

Date: July 23, 2013 03:41

DandelionPowderman

Exactly Dandy! At the end Keith takes it a step further. I have to really say this might be my favorite live rendition ever.

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: July 23, 2013 14:07

Palace Revolution 2000
The other day I heard a killer version of GS. It was probably the best live rendition I can think of. I listened all the way through before looking to see when it was from. I am thinking "ell what is good is that Taylor is relatively low in the mix, and Keith really shines because the song is running a lot more jagged. Drumming was real sharp too. Those leads were so fluid. It was not until the very end that it all the sudden hit me "Wait a minute; could this be 75? Is that Ronnie?" And sure enough it was the LA 75 official version.

Very good that Ronnie was relatively low in the mix then, otherwise you would have noticed the difference with Taylor in a second.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: July 23, 2013 22:36

svt22
Palace Revolution 2000
The other day I heard a killer version of GS. It was probably the best live rendition I can think of. I listened all the way through before looking to see when it was from. I am thinking "ell what is good is that Taylor is relatively low in the mix, and Keith really shines because the song is running a lot more jagged. Drumming was real sharp too. Those leads were so fluid. It was not until the very end that it all the sudden hit me "Wait a minute; could this be 75? Is that Ronnie?" And sure enough it was the LA 75 official version.

Very good that Ronnie was relatively low in the mix then, otherwise you would have noticed the difference with Taylor in a second.

Yes, the difference between Taylor and Ronnie trying to sound like Taylor is enormous. Ronnie has no where near the authority, assuredness (is that a word?) and musical presence as Taylor. That video proves the point that Ronnie could not play like Taylor if he tried, because here he is trying. But I do not want to sound mean. I think Ronnie was a good soldier on the tour and his MR spot was effective.

P.S. Boy! There are some nice performances in this thread. There is something about the T&F performance that I love. It is an honest struggle, but the guitars get there a couple of times and are wonderful.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-23 22:38 by pmk251.

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: July 23, 2013 23:06

pmk251
svt22
Palace Revolution 2000

Yes, the difference between Taylor and Ronnie trying to sound like Taylor is enormous. Ronnie has no where near the authority, assuredness (is that a word?) and musical presence as Taylor. That video proves the point that Ronnie could not play like Taylor if he tried, because here he is trying. But I do not want to sound mean. I think Ronnie was a good soldier on the tour and his MR spot was effective.

P.S. Boy! There are some nice performances in this thread. There is something about the T&F performance that I love. It is an honest struggle, but the guitars get there a couple of times and are wonderful.

I enjoy Ronnie for the most part when he plays the stuff he recorded w/the Stones, just not usually when he's doing parts that MT did live 69-73.

I was just listening to the Vancouver stuff the other day, and while the other rare stuff is nothing special, I thought T&F was pretty good. To me, I always like hearing songs live around the time they were put down on record. The personnel and their abilities, along with the equipment are at their closest alignment. You're never going to hear the Keith vocal harmonies or the music sound close to the original recording today, even if they did a great version. That goes for BJ, MT, and RWs eras.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: July 23, 2013 23:11

pmk251
svt22
Palace Revolution 2000

That T&F performance is one of my all time favourite Taylor-era live songs. Such a shame they dumped it later on.

Date: July 26, 2013 01:06

pmk251
svt22
Palace Revolution 2000

Yes, the only "problem" with T&F is the tentativeness of the arrangement; how they're not sure "are we doing this break twice here? Is there another vocal line here?" So they never really have the luxury of kicking loose. It's amazing that Taylor still delivers such lines. Bl;ows me away that Keith knew all those lyrics. Since they are all on electric guitars they must have sung the whole song on the Glimmer Twin Microphone.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1704
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home