Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Charlie's drum heads
Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: April 4, 2005 15:32

I promised to try and find an answer fro someone about the drum heads Charlie uses in the studio. Does anyone here know or can you point me in the right direction?
Thanks
Marv

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Re: Charlie's drum heads
Posted by: Aucoin ()
Date: April 4, 2005 15:41

Snare: Remo Ambassador coated
Toms: Remo CS Black dot and sometimes white Ambassadors

Date: April 4, 2005 16:56

Aucoin,

Thanks for the quick response. I sort of suspected the Remo CS''s live.
Mind if I ask what's your source for this info?

Marv Peck

Posted by: Aucoin ()
Date: April 4, 2005 17:02

You´re welcome Marvpeck.

I got that information from an interview he did for "Drums & Percussion" or "Modern Drummer" (can´t remember). I think it´s from the mid 90´s.

Posted by: turd ()
Date: April 4, 2005 23:12

Marvpeck - Charlie probably uses the same heads in the studio as he does live. I read an interview in a drum mag. a long while back (mid 90's) with a drummer, (can't remember who), whose band had supported the Stones on tour. He said he had a chance to take a good look at Charlies drums on stage and he noticed the tom heads were really beaten up. He queried Charlies drum tech. about this who said that Charlie reconed they sounded better like this and wouldn't let anyone touch them...!

On this ebay link for Charlies 'Rogers' hi-hat, there's quite a good pic of Charlies drums from the hi-hat side and an interesting story about Charlies drums.

[cgi.ebay.co.uk]

The guy selling the Hi-hat is called Richard King. I think he supplied Charlie with his second maple set and also his green sparkle/goldplated Gretsch set he used once for a jazz thing. I believe this guy is quite approachable, so might be worth sending him an email and asking about Charlies heads.

Date: April 4, 2005 23:58

I suspect you are right. I remember reading an article, maybe the same one, and Charlie was almost bragging that he hadn't changed the bass drum head in so long he couldn't hardly remember. It's always a little hard to tell ... he might have said that sort of tongue in cheek. Then again, it could be true. Us drummers are so fanatic about stuff and here's Charlie blowing us all away with old beat up heads ....ya gotta love it!

Marv Peck

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1912
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home